Milwaukee, WI
Estabrook Park Share
Uploaded By: edward felcohands Hole #10 (Taken 5/2010)
3 / 185ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #10 Tee: Basket straight ahead behind large tree at center

OK

5+    7/20/2013   7/20/2013
Review By: Sturmus
Pros: Good beginner course.
Left handed players dream.
Not very long, so you don't have to tire out your throwing arm.
Short course with repetitive shot types and distances, so you don't have to lug around a heavy bag with a bunch of discs.
Cons: Super short course that can be played without a driver.
EXTREMELY CROWDED. Unless you're there early on a weekday, you'll be waiting.
Seems like every hole curves to the right.

Meh. (For now).

2-4    8/20/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: Jukeshoe
This review was updated on 6/25/2011
Pros: - This pitch and putt style course is mostly grassy with mature trees, wooded areas, and bushes as obstacles on the front nine. The back nine crosses the road and starts to play through a more wooded area. Water is nominally in play on a handful of holes, although the risk of getting a disc wet is fairly slim.
- Great next tee signage alleviates an otherwise nightmarish flow in places. Follow the signs or risk getting lost.
- Many ace runs available on the front nine. The back nine, along with a few on the front are more technical than the first several holes, giving the course some variety.
- Great for families, beginners, or putter-only rounds.
- Dual pin placements change things up a bit, although no hole is very long.
- Practice basket near parking lot.
Cons: - Rudimentary signage is sufficient but ugly. I assume the signage is temporary and will be rectified once the course is a little more established.
- One hole (#16, I believe) was completely submerged under water. Unplayable.
- Repetitive front nine with woods on the right, road on the left. Scattered trees provide the obstacles, but mostly these are open grassy ace runs.
- Mostly flat with very few risk/reward opportunities, especially on the front nine.
Other Thoughts: - I assume that this newish course is going through some growing pains and on-going development that will raise its rating at a later date. EDIT (6/25/11): Concrete tees have been added since my last visit, greatly improving the course...hopefully replacement signs are next on the agenda.
- Despite the proximity to water, bugs were almost a non-factor, which was a pleasant surprise.

C+ = Slightly above average

1    6/1/2010   6/2/2010
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+
(Overall a pretty open and forgiving course. The trouble you will encounter on most fairways is easily recoverable from to save par should you screw up off the tee. This is good for less accomplished players, but does not provide the punishment needed to get any good scoring spread for those whose game is honed in. There are a few holes that do provide some good head scratch to decide which route to take and what disc to throw....this is a good thing.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == C
(Most holes are too short and straight forward to feel rewarding when carding a birdie. 3-4 of the long pins are excellent holes for someone of my D.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
(Probably 1/3 of the holes I would consider open although none are just open field shots. All holes have at least some trees to contend with. There is a great variety of straight, right-to-left and left-to-right holes. Overall it is a flat course with just 2 holes making use of any terrain.
My favorite holes are:
#2 (long basket) which forces you to thread a perfect hyzer (RHBH) through a short tunnel carved through the buckthorn schule mid-fairway.
#11 shoots over the edge of a hill and down a wooded tunnel. Takes a real nice finesse shot to park it.......or to ace run it.
#13 (long basket) throws from under a beautiful large basswood tree (that is dying unfortunately) through a generous wooded tunnel and out into a grassy area. The basket is under a huge white birch tree. It takes a low-flying hyzer to park it as there are low branches on the last 80-90' of the fairway. This hole is easily the most visually appealing and interesting hole on the course.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
(The park is very tired feeling and most of the course runs along the park road. Holes 10-13 are a little more removed and nicer feeling as they sit a little further back in the park. But there is a long and confusing transition walk between 11 and 12. At least the long walk is in the prettiest part of the course!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Cons: The homo in the convertible Sebring who stared me down as I changed in my front seat from my work clothes into my DG gear before my round. He then drove over and told me "You're a quick change artist. You went into your car as a businessman and come out like this."
I should have told him, "This is disc golf....you might change the last 2 letters around, but I don't."
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.