Milwaukee, WI
Estabrook Park Share
Uploaded By: P.B.D.G. Hole #1 (Taken 11/2013)
3 / 260ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

2-4    4/12/2011   4/18/2011
Review By: Doucette
Pros: Each hole is different
Unique holes
Cons: Not the greatest area
Really hard to follow and you have to walk a ways to each hole
Other Thoughts: Fun, a lot of walking, and real confusing. I would print off a map if you have never been there before

local course

5+    12/2/2010   12/3/2010
Review By: basketcase15
Pros: good mix of holes, and there is new signs pointing you in the right direction from hole to hole, new baskets, and people the concrete is in, so chill ! its a great warm up for BD or Dretzka ! cool mando on hole 2, and a fair amount of holes that finish right, so forhanders get to shine sometimes ! since i am a forhand dominant player ! ohh and open all year!
Cons: mostly short holes untill u get to 13, (when at the far pin), the course is right next to the road and kinda could psych u out sometimes i guess if your not used to it
Other Thoughts: i play here almost everyday,its a fun course, i got my first ace this year there on hole 7, forehand, no skip far pin 194ft., unfortunately, this hole has now become my nemesis, ohh well i like esta anyways, gave it a 3

Meh. (For now).

2-4    8/20/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: Jukeshoe
This review was updated on 6/25/2011
Pros: - This pitch and putt style course is mostly grassy with mature trees, wooded areas, and bushes as obstacles on the front nine. The back nine crosses the road and starts to play through a more wooded area. Water is nominally in play on a handful of holes, although the risk of getting a disc wet is fairly slim.
- Great next tee signage alleviates an otherwise nightmarish flow in places. Follow the signs or risk getting lost.
- Many ace runs available on the front nine. The back nine, along with a few on the front are more technical than the first several holes, giving the course some variety.
- Great for families, beginners, or putter-only rounds.
- Dual pin placements change things up a bit, although no hole is very long.
- Practice basket near parking lot.
Cons: - Rudimentary signage is sufficient but ugly. I assume the signage is temporary and will be rectified once the course is a little more established.
- One hole (#16, I believe) was completely submerged under water. Unplayable.
- Repetitive front nine with woods on the right, road on the left. Scattered trees provide the obstacles, but mostly these are open grassy ace runs.
- Mostly flat with very few risk/reward opportunities, especially on the front nine.
Other Thoughts: - I assume that this newish course is going through some growing pains and on-going development that will raise its rating at a later date. EDIT (6/25/11): Concrete tees have been added since my last visit, greatly improving the course...hopefully replacement signs are next on the agenda.
- Despite the proximity to water, bugs were almost a non-factor, which was a pleasant surprise.

Leave the drivers home

1    7/25/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: superberry
Pros: The course has a few holes (or at least portions of the hole) that really show off some quality design and quality terrain. Hole 2 has a great hyzer mando through a tunnel of brush. Hole 5 has the tee set up, when the pin is in the long location, there is a red pine with two main trunks that twist and form a window which perfectly frames up the basket - great to go for it! (I did and went through the trunks, but above the window). Hole 9 has an excellent reisky green tucked into the woods, right on the edge of a dropoff to a drainage creek - GREAT! Hole 11 is the best hole in my mind - it plays a drawn out soft anny for a RHBH, starting from up in the typical city park mowed fairway with large trees. The last 40% drops down into the woods near the washout creek and when the pin (blind off the tee) is in the long position, creates a well laid out hole. Hole 16 plays forcing a drive to punch into a green carved out of a large clump of trees. Hole 18 forces a low drive through low hanging limbs and dense clumps of trees on either side.
There are multiple pin placements, but they range from short to SHORTER.
There is a small amount of elevation here, but it would be nice if more of the natural park steep ravines could have been used.
The mature city park trees don't offer enough low limbs for a true tunnel shot on most holes, but mature trees are gorgeous. Many are used very well to frame a specific shot off the tee or approach onto the green.
Cons: Repetitive waste of holes 1-8. Beside a couple neat natural features like the tunnel on #2 and the red pine on #5, the first 8 holes all have a tee near the road, and a basket along the edge of the woods - straight or slight anny over and over again.
On the front 8 especially, the tees are very close to the previous basket, the design I just mentioned makes this problem worse when the noobs are out flinging RHBH shots off their hips that fade left into the group at the next tee.
The signs right now are just one-line depictions and don't really show the intended flight real well (e.g. depicting a fade right when the basket is left). I'm assuming from the 4x4 posts that signs are planned here, but with the lack of descriptive and depictive tee signs at Brown Deer, who knows.
Only one tee here, a short one! I assume tees are coming, we could hope they'll be a bit longer, or maybe a second longer set will be added. Hopefully the concrete is installed flush to the ground and with a ROUGH finish!
The walk to #12 wastes a lot of unique terrain.
No big pond or real water hazard, but #9, 10, 11 could bring some water into play I guess with a shanked drive.
Very short course, not really any need for a driver at all (unless you sidearm a lot).
Old guys walking the paths and hanging out in the parking lot looking for things they shouldn't be looking for. Which leads into my preference for secluded and natural courses - can't expect much else from a course in the middle of Milwaukee.
Other Thoughts: I perpetually play courses, walking around thinking how they could be better - moving a tee back/left/right, tucking a pin into the woods or near a sharp dropoff, using more unique features of a park. I couldn't help myself from doing that here. So many greens would have been better if cut into the nearby woods by 50-75'. So many holes would have been better with a second LONG tee 100' or more back. But all in all the alotted park area probably wouldn't allow it (or I'm thinking the parks department would allows those areas to be used (between 11 & 12, and the cool ravine that slightly comes into play on 9 & 11). I concluded that this course design was just meant to offer a beginner level course in the area. We discussed it was maybe to reduce the hordes at Dretzka (because no one plays the "too hard" Brown Deer, and who in their right mind would go to Dineen). So, this course was meant for beginners, or for advanced players to work on their putter drives and buzzzes. It is what it is - typical. Some shiny spots, lots of lackluster dull ones. I didn't regret playing, but would have if I had gone out of my way. If I didn't have family in the area, I don't think I'd ever play here again.

forehand friendly

5+    7/18/2010   7/22/2010
Review By: landscapr
Pros: Nice and technical. fairs very well for a forehand player such as myself. good course to work on you mid-range game.
Cons: grass pads. but the concrete ones will be installed soon. usually busy.
Other Thoughts: garbage is a huge issue here. so do your part to pack in and pack out. and help keep it clean and pick up some garbage while you play theres plenty of garbage cans around.

This course will be popular!

2-4    7/1/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: jared.greanya
Pros: This course is busy and so it is increasingly hard to lose a disc here. It is very Valley View-esque with a lot of short technical holes but enough variety to keep someone who's been playing for 7 years occupied as well.
I never had to throw very hard to reach the holes which meant I could play this course several times in concession.
Cons: It is a short course, ideally it would be nice to see some more variety in distance and elevation changes.
Also, even though the tee "pads" were dry for me both times I played, I can imagine how muddy they can get and concrete tee pads or at least woodchips would make a great difference.
Other Thoughts: Overall I will play this course often as it is now the closest course to me near Milwaukee. It doesn't come close to Dretzka which is longer and great for advanced players, but it does compare well to valley view which is great for beginners.

For Beginners.

2-4    6/19/2010   6/20/2010
Review By: ehrhardt
Pros: The course is good for beginners. Has good holes for perfecting your shot. Enjoy the wooded area.
Cons: The wholes are way to small. If you are use to bigger courses dont play here, watch out for hole 10 the river is right behind it so dont over through it. there are long walks to holes and the holes kind of over lap.

Estabrook - Padless

2-4    6/9/2010   6/10/2010
Review By: KevinCG
Pros: Its tougher than it looks. Very technical. I don't like writing incredibly long reviews. I would say its worth the try. Once concrete pads get put in, this could end up being a really great course.
I GPSed the course. Here is a link to my Google Map.
Cons: No pads. Signage is a bit primitive, but once you do the course once, its very easy to navigate. The foliage is already pretty much broken down if you shoot off the fairway so finding your disc is not as troublesome as you would imagine.
Other Thoughts: Since its a brand new course, its going to be crowded at peak hours. Be prepared to wait at holes.

Nice short course . . . location is key for a lot of people in the city. It should really help spread the traffic out a bit!

2-4    6/4/2010   6/4/2010
This review was updated on 11/5/2013
Pros: 1) This course went in fast but just the right amount of trimming and cutting was done in my opinion. There are a couple tight lanes to throw through and those should be preserved as long as possible. I am sure vandalism and disc traffic will lead to those openings becoming wider, but to start I think an awesome job was done preserving those lanes.

2) Course is a true par 3 course (54). All holes are reachable by me which I enjoy. While I do like to see legit par 4's and 5's on courses, I am also ok with a shorter course like this from a design standpoint especially because of its location. There wasn't the land to make any real par 4's, but this course is also very well suited to the college kids nearby and the beginners who might come out to a new course. I doubt this played any role in the design, but in the end it worked out great.

3) While most holes on 1-8 are anhyzers or RH flicks, the back 9 has a nice variety of straight and hyzers with a smattering of turnovers.

4) 1-8 are all simple shots with quite a few ace runs without much penalty, but that is when the course really gets going. 9 has a great perched basket, 10 is a short downhiller with an ace run risk/reward, 11 is a great left to right downhiller. 12-14 run through the densest part of the woods and 15-18 open back up to a dense canopy of large trees but not through tight woods. This variety is key to making this course as good as it is. If the whole thing were like 1-8 I would not be very impressed, but it gives you two courses almost. Go for aces on the first holes and then settle in and try to make as many pars with a couple birdies coming in.

5) EDIT: Signs have been replaced with very professional routered plastic signs with distances and hole locations on the maps. This was a volunteer job by a local disc golfer and it goes to show what a good local community can do for our disc golf courses.

6) Kiosk near 18 basket for information and EDIT: TWO practice baskets for warming up putts beforehand or playing a game of Chains.

7) Beginner friendly, but with some challenge too, which I view as a real positive.

8) Locals are good guys and will most certainly be sure to keep the DBags in line. EDIT: There was a change of leadership at the park going from one good guy to another. Lots of changes have happened this season (2013).

9) They keep adding new pin positions and it is making the course more difficult. I am happy to see the full use of the area getting used.

EDIT: 10) Concrete teepads were poured a long time ago now. These are the best concrete teepads in winter because they have such deep grooves that there is no way they will be slippery. The locals also salt them to keep them clean.

11) Beer Garden is a huge attraction in the park and is a nice amenity for an after round beverage. They have been very supportive of disc golf events also so stop in for a beer and talk to them about the disc golf course!
Cons:
1)There are still some stumps visible where clearing has happened. Most of he old ones have been taken out but anytime a new placement is made stumps are left.

2) Shot shaping is ok . . . although they seem to favor lefties or rh annys or flicks. There is a little more variety on the last 10 holes but the first 8 set up with (1 hyzer tunnel shot, 2 straight shots and 5 anhyzer or flick shots).

3) Long walk between 11 and 12 makes the course feel disjointed. Non locals might get confused here on where to go, but the course map does indicate a long walk and there is a sign on the first bridge pointing you down the path. Either way I would prefer non-stop disc golf but it wasn't possible here.

4) Mosquitos will be busy there. Right along the river, dense woods . . . bring the bug spray.

5) Safety an issue on a few tees and missed anny lines. Mostly on holes 1-8 but also on 16 tee you are at risk at being hit by a errant teeshot from 15. Safety is also an issue because of the stumps in the ground from the buckthorn removal. #3 tee is also very much in play from a tamahawk on #2. While I was there the local guys decided to make the mando for that hole throguh the tunnel and wrote it on the board. Immediately behind up we heard 4 tamahawks land so obviously they didnt understand. EDIT: This is one of the worst courses in the area for throwing in the road. Not only do a lot of discs end up in the road but there is also a large amount of traffic. The locals encourage people to bring their disc back in the grass rather than throwing from the road but it doesn't always get told to everyone.
Other Thoughts: I know this course is young and all the work was volunteer so I am basing my rating on what I expect of this course given a little bit of time to play it in. I know teepads will be accepted there as all the other county parks allowed them, they just wanted to make sure that none of the areas infringe on other activities and that everything is safe in the end. I like the course but the firs 8 holes are somewhat boring. It truly better get you warmed up by being accurate and racking up as many birdies as you can there before heading to the tougher back nine (10). The risk reward on this course is high because of the basket locations and fallaways on 9-11. The risk of hitting a particular tree and kicking into the brush is prevalent on multiple holes on this course, so you really want to pick the line with the least issues. All in all I did enjoy the course, but there are some things that leave me wanting some changes . . . the property just wouldn't really allow it.

I know that course will be well policed by the local guys because I know many of the people who will be there almost daily because of where they live.

C+ = Slightly above average

1    6/1/2010   6/2/2010
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+
(Overall a pretty open and forgiving course. The trouble you will encounter on most fairways is easily recoverable from to save par should you screw up off the tee. This is good for less accomplished players, but does not provide the punishment needed to get any good scoring spread for those whose game is honed in. There are a few holes that do provide some good head scratch to decide which route to take and what disc to throw....this is a good thing.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == C
(Most holes are too short and straight forward to feel rewarding when carding a birdie. 3-4 of the long pins are excellent holes for someone of my D.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
(Probably 1/3 of the holes I would consider open although none are just open field shots. All holes have at least some trees to contend with. There is a great variety of straight, right-to-left and left-to-right holes. Overall it is a flat course with just 2 holes making use of any terrain.
My favorite holes are:
#2 (long basket) which forces you to thread a perfect hyzer (RHBH) through a short tunnel carved through the buckthorn schule mid-fairway.
#11 shoots over the edge of a hill and down a wooded tunnel. Takes a real nice finesse shot to park it.......or to ace run it.
#13 (long basket) throws from under a beautiful large basswood tree (that is dying unfortunately) through a generous wooded tunnel and out into a grassy area. The basket is under a huge white birch tree. It takes a low-flying hyzer to park it as there are low branches on the last 80-90' of the fairway. This hole is easily the most visually appealing and interesting hole on the course.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
(The park is very tired feeling and most of the course runs along the park road. Holes 10-13 are a little more removed and nicer feeling as they sit a little further back in the park. But there is a long and confusing transition walk between 11 and 12. At least the long walk is in the prettiest part of the course!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Cons: The homo in the convertible Sebring who stared me down as I changed in my front seat from my work clothes into my DG gear before my round. He then drove over and told me "You're a quick change artist. You went into your car as a businessman and come out like this."
I should have told him, "This is disc golf....you might change the last 2 letters around, but I don't."
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.