Brooklyn Park, MN
Orchard Trail Park Share
Uploaded By: cgstarry Hole #1 (Taken 7/2013)
4 / 314ft.   4 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Great for a quick outing!

1    7/24/2013   7/25/2013
Review By: cgstarry
Pros: Concrete tee boxes painted with range.
Nice baskets.
Well manicured.
Hole three has an elevated pin and water in play makes it a mental dogleg left.
Putting practice pin with graduated distnce stones.
Cons: Only three holes.
Other Thoughts: If I need to scratch the itch quick and am not looking to run into a crowd, this place works well! Would be rated higher by me if there were more holes.

Practice

2-4    7/20/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: itzbrian17
Pros: -Open
-Nobody There
-Nice Neighborhood
-Nice Park
-Good Baskets
-Good Teepads
-Great Practice Putting Basket or Hole 4
Cons: -Only 3 holes when they have enough space for at least 3 more
-Not enough trees or obsticles except for hole 3
Other Thoughts: I have to rate it 1.5 because every course is a practice course really. Plus this park has more potential than 3 holes.

Great practice course

1    10/3/2011   10/3/2011
Review By: nickc
Pros: Very wide open
Empty, great for practicing all drives
Great baskets
Great distances
Cool putting practice basket with different tabs marked with distance from the basket
Great for beginners
Easy to get in lots of practice shots
Not going to lose a disc here!
Cons: Not an actual course.
No big trees, so no obstacles.
Repetitive.
Not worth playing at unless you want to practice some shots.
Other Thoughts: Overall, pretty good practice course. I would almost say it's like a driving range with some variation. The park is really clean and it's a pretty nice place to throw at. I wouldn't go back everyday or anything, but it's a nice place to go and throw all your discs without having to wait for anyone or worry about losing any.

Great for beginners

1    9/25/2011   9/25/2011
Review By: Ricky1962
Pros: Nice tee's and baskets.
Great practice course for beginners (like me)!
Holes are long enough to work on drives, but open enough to forgive bad throws.
Putting hole has markers from 8' to 34'.
Cons: With only three holes, it can get a little repetitive playing the same 3 holes over and over and over.
Other Thoughts: It takes about 5 minutes to play all three holes.
Hole three has a water hazard that in warm season risks losing a disc, yet it is still good to get used to having a mental challenge

2-4    9/23/2011   9/23/2011
Review By: ElectricBoogaloo
Pros: --Great Teepads. Hole # and distance on every pad.

--Beautiful Baskets.

--Wonderful grass. Go barefoot!

--Basket with putting stones around it. Good practice.

--One of the holes is slightly dowhill!!!!
Cons: --No Imagination. Just wide open holes.

--Unruly geese patrol this park, just looking for teepads to poop on.

--Creepers peering out their back windows, just watching you. Alllllwwaaayysss watching.....
Other Thoughts: I did manage to hit a tree on one of the holes, which was embarrassing. But it was my most exciting shot of the day.

Looking for a place with putting stones? This is your place! Looking for a good disc golf course? Look elsewhere.

I'm Confused Here?

1    7/22/2011   8/29/2011
Pros: Everything about this park and the course kinda baffles me? I keep asking myself why? Like why did someone bother to put up a three hole course? Is this course put here for the folks who live in these twenty neighboring houses or the two nearby schools? Why would you bother putting in such great big wonderful trapazoid teepads? On this course? Why you only put three regular length holes here instead of maybe nine shorter pitch and putts? Where is there a walking path around the park that a bench to rest on every 50 feet?
Why would you build some a great practice basket set up complete with circular putting blocks set up every two feet? Why wouldn't you just make that basket number 4 and make this a four hole course?

And if you made the practice basket # 4, and increased this from a 3 hole course to a four hole course, Did you then increase the size of course by 25%? as in 3 + 1= 4. Or did you increase you course by 33% ? as in 3 + 1 = 4. I need some mathematicians to help me out here. Third grade arithmatic was kinda the top of the mountain for me.
Cons: It's a 3 hole course.
Flat.
3 saplings.
Other Thoughts: I figured out the answer to one of my questions from above. As to why this is only a 3 hole course. The people who live in these houses need a bench to rest on every 50 feet. Apparently, they have very small lungs neccesating frequent rest stops and probably could only manage to play three holes at a time. Hence the three hole course!

But I'm still perplexed about that wonderful practice basket?

3 Hole Practice Course with a perfect putt 360

1    6/19/2011   6/21/2011
Pros: 1) Three holes in a field is better than no holes.

2) Nice DGA Mach baskets with the number plates facing the tee. A proper installation!!!

3) Nice massi/e trapezoidal concrete teepads . . . seems wasteful for a 3 hole practice course, but I'd be more likely to play here because of the teepads.

4) Hole # Distance painted on the back of the teepad . . . sa/es the cost for a sign which in the end will get damaged and /andalized anyways.

5) Water somewhat in play for noodle arms and beginners on #3 but you would really ha/e to o/er hyzer or be a part of the early release program! Still a positi/e to ha/e that risk on the course IMO.

6) Perfect Putt 360 setup on the practice basket . . . it isn't actually a 4 hole course!!! I hit both of my putts up to 22', then 1 from 24, 26, 28, and 30, and missed both putts from 32 and 34'

7) I found $ .02 in the parking lot!!! Pay to play . . . why yes I would gladly accept money to play your course!

8) Porto potty at the parking lot.

9) The park also has a playground a baseball backstop and a nice walkpath through the park and into the neighborhood.

10) Turf is in nice condition on the whole course.

11) The design of #2 is subtle but the ground does drop off slightly in ele/ation as you approach the basket and that will create a little more challenge than a dead flat hole.
Cons: 1) Wide open!

2) Almost no obstacles on the course except a few trees on #3 and the water to the left.

3) Because it is so wide open . . .I am sure this course is always windy. But I guess that is good practice too!

4) /ery simple and straight forward . . . but I would consider it a practice course so that is not a huge deal.

Other Thoughts: Take it for what it is . . . a 3 hole practice course with a practice basket and the perfect putt 360 game installed to practice your putting.

I just helped install another 3 hole course with less obstacles grass tees and no signage and I ga/e it a 1 disc rating so I am going to ha/e to bump this up because of the turf condition, the water in play, the slight ele/ation change on #2, the concrete teepads and just the idea of the perfect putt 360 is awesome. I will got knocked for this possibly but I am gi/ing this course a 2 disc rating, because I would most certainly return, but I am realistic when I read about a course that is set up for practice I am not expecting to come across a great course. This one does pro/ide what it set out to pro/ide so it deser/es a decent rating . . . no matter what the general public thinks of the course as a course. Just realize it is /ery well done for what it was designed for!

IN MY OPINION THIS COURSE SHOULD BE LISTED AS A 3 HOLE PRACTICE COURSE NOT A 4 HOLE COURSE . . . IT WAS INTENDED TO BE FOR PRACTICE I AM SURE.

1    7/13/2010   7/13/2010
Review By: CReb
Pros: Its hard to lose a disc here... its a place to go to work on distance. Very nice tees, and baskets. A nice 3rd hole with water and the uphill shot. A nice practice basket similar to Central.
Cons: I think that they have enough room at this park to develop this small course. Put some trees and a few more baskets in and in a couple year we could have ourselves the twin cities first "executive nine" course in disc golf. But its not developed at all and it is completely wide open.
Other Thoughts: Nice little park... like said before me Central is everything this park wants to be.

Stay Away

5+    7/22/2009   6/1/2010
Review By: MNsnowbikedisc
Pros: -Hole 3 is decent, only one that is moderately challenging
-Putting basket with marking stones spiraling outwards to 30 feet
-nice concrete tees marking hole number and distances
Cons: -3 holes
-BORING
-placed at the edge of a newer housing development, so there seems to be a lot of young moms with toddlers/small children at the park.
-basketball court is right on the edge of the fairway of the first hole.
-zero elevation, the "hill" on the third hole is an oversized ant-hill
-no obstacles, the all 4 trees on the course are young saplings
-always windy when I come here
Other Thoughts: Not worth stopping here, even if you are in the area. I drive past this course to get to the Central Park course, and even Central is only ho-hum.

One of the units in Jackson Middle School Gym was disc golf. No disc golf unit at the high school, but Everyone who plays at Champlin Park knows to go to Central or Elm Creek.

Good for ?

1    5/30/2010   5/30/2010
Review By: djschnabel
This review was updated on 7/20/2012
Pros: Putting Hole very similar to Central Park with a spiral variety of distances. This course is near Champlin Park High School, just south of the Football Field. There is a playground and a half-court basketball court. Hole 3 is pretty cool. It is a slightly uphill shot over the right side of a pond, with a few small trees near the right side of the hole.

Well, it's not great when a playground and b-ball court show up on the pros.
Cons: Um, hole one, straight field shot.

Hole two. Straight field shot.

Other Thoughts: I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish with this course. It is very similar in design to Central Park. Teepads, putting hole, etc.

I don't think this is a beginners course, based on the distance. This isn't an average or advanced players course, based on the lack of obstacles, and distance and variety of distance.

What I hope this is, and if so, I fully support, is a course for high school kids to play during PhyEd. It is right next to the High School, and Jackson Middle is nearby, so I could see them possibly teaching the sport to these kids. If so, perfect course, but they could have put up better holes around the school (baseball field, etc.)

Updated course info:::
I am not sure at what grade level(s), but I found out that the Champlin Park HS Head football coach (who is also a gym teacher) lives very nearby, and the course is used in their curriculum.