Charlotte, NC
Eastway Park Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #10 (Taken 9/2010)

Beastway

2-4    7/21/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: TOB3RT
Pros: This course is just absolutely amazing. I have played a majority of the courses within a 25 mile radius of Rock Hill, and it is definitely in the top 3, if not number 1. For starters, there is a "high-risk high-reward" on many of the holes. Hole 2 is one of the funnest I have played in awhile, due to the steep downhill slope and the danger of the left OB. Many holes incorporate this ideology when you have to throw over swampy, thorny manifestations of untamed growth, or you're surrounded by them with a tight, neatly groomed, fairway.

This course is playable for any level of disc golfer. The holes range from 200 ft to 440 ft (short tees) or from 250 ft to 656 ft (long tees). Be wary, however, because holes 2, 11, 12, 13, and 16 have really easy ways to lose a disc and, especially if it rained recently, almost impossible to get it out without the right equipment. If you do not have trust in your ability, I would definitely play it safe on these holes.

The course features: Concrete tee pads, DISCatcher pros, restrooms, a football field where you are able to test your drives, a park for children, and benches on almost every hole.
Cons: While the cons were few, they did skew my rating from a 4.5 to a 4. For starters, trash everywhere at the beginning of holes. There are a few trashcans, but it seems like the people who were there before us did not seem to care. There was a broken glass bottle on hole 2 smack dab on the tee-pad which is infuriating to see, especially if it was because of other disc-golfers.

Another big problem for me is hole 14. Hole 14 does not have a tee-pad. Instead, there is a white line painted on an asphalt road that no traffic comes onto. You walk a path to get to it, and as soon as you get on the road it should be right in front of you. It was a bit difficult to notice upon first playing this course.

The brush, for beginners, is really not easy to handle. The first time we went, we spent about 15 minutes on every hole with a great rough looking for our discs. We found them, along with some other discs with no ink, but it took a long time to do so.

Other Thoughts: The biggest con for me, although it cannot be helped by the park itself, is the ongoing construction outside of the park. Taking N. Tryon St is not the direction to go, due to the bridge being closed off. From N. Tryon St. I would turn on to E. Sugar Creek Rd and turn left at The Plaza. Once on to The Plaza, Eastway Dr. will be the first light. Take a left onto it and the park will be on your right. We did not realize construction was going on, and drudged through traffic only to be hit by "Road Closed" signs.

Lovely, well groomed course, that does not seem like it gets a lot of traffic. We were not waiting behind anyone nor was anyone waiting for us any of the times we played. Excellent course.

Sweetway

2-4    12/23/2012   12/23/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/15/2013
Pros: -Nice park in Charlotte with one heck of a course. It's course to Sugaw and Kilborne (which I'm playing tomorrow). It's scenic and the "open" course in Queen city.
-Nice grippy teepads. Maybe 9 feet long so you can have a natural run up.
-Great use of elevation like many previous reviewers have said. Particularly #2, maybe a 30 foot drop and #3 gains 25 feet but those are not the only holes with great elevation.
-Again, the course is open, today I had a few 300+ drives, one around 330' on #12. Maybe a few others. The wooded holes are #4, #5, #6, #17 and #18.
-Course has many standout holes, like #2, #3, #5, #12, #17 and #18. Two has a large drop in elevation, the fairway isn't cut all the way but it's not too bad if you give it a small hyzer, it only plays 201', if you can't get there then this hole isn't really for you. #3 is a short straight uphill ace run that requires a small hyzer, #5 is a tough downhill wooded par 3 that has quite a bit of OB, so you should have a 215' foot drive to avoid it, basket's on a platform. #12 is a very long open bomb slightly downhill, #17 is a sidearmer's ace run with a steep dropoff to the right, #18 is a well polished finishing hole with the basket behind a large "V" tree. Those are the extra good holes but almost every hole is fun.
-Two teepads on #3, #9, #13, #14, which is a killer, #17 and #18 which is also a monster. Long basket on #2 which is a slight dogleg right that goes into the woods.
-Practice basket by #1 by the parking lot, the baskets catch fine despite being a bit vandalized and beaten up a little.
-Nice variety of dropoffs like #8 and #17 and #5 is on a small platform, elevation changes, OB (Quite a lot), doglegs (#2 long, #6, #13 long, #14 long) open and woods.
-It's not as sketchy is it is considered, Sugaw and Kilborne are but when I play here, there isn't any trouble, homeless people don't hang around here and neither do rebels.
-Benches are on every or almost every hole.
-Plenty of restaurants that are pretty close like Wendy's, Bojangles and a few others.
Cons: -It's rough, when I played today, there was quite a bit of vegetation, particularly on #12, my shot was an anhyzer and if that happens to you, you better hope your drive goes a good distance, I went past it, which was one of my longest drives, yet again, my approach shot was blocked so I had to have a turnover shot which gave me a bogey.
-Course isn't AS sketchy but the baskets are beat up and vandalized a bit. Don't let it bug you too much because they catch great for baskets in just average shape.
-Yes, lack of anemities like trashcans. I don't know if the bathrooms are very clean either. All the litter around the course shows that there are not enough trashcans.
-Nope, not very beginner friendly, there is a large amount of OB on the course, and there are no mandos. Whatever is marked by orange flags, it's OB. #16 is a fun open, pretty long hole, the whole ravine is OB which some people will find inconsiderate, That's not it, this course easily has the most OB in Charlotte. I was okay with some of it and some I really felt like ignoring. If you think #9 at Sugaw creek's OB is overdone, wait until you see all of this. Forget it if you are a beginner, enjoy the game and play it when you can throw maybe 250'.
-Some holes, you have a chance in hitting a car and I don't like that #11 is very close to #10's fairway, I like the holes but it's a bit unsafe when there is a tournament and #18's front teepad is way too small.
-I don't like #6 a lot to be honest, it's a par 3 that's 249' that plays 286'. It's short but it's an uphill shot out of the woods with a dropoff to the left and to the right, you have a chance in losing a disc. Not a fan of #15 either as it has a very high change in losing a disc. It's just me though, some people find them fun.
Other Thoughts: Yes, the course has cons and some should be fixed but I never said don't play here. Eastway is great and it's the first course in Charlotte I played. On 11/11/11. I got maybe +16 over and today, I got a score that isn't too satisfying (+7) but I have fun when I play here. I'm going to disagree with people saying it's beginner friendly despite all of the OB and some of the distances but if you are at least an intermediate in the Charlotte area and have a chance to play it, then do it. It consists of very fun holes and it's a nice family park with a playground, GIANT field for football and soccer and mainly a fun course. The course flows well and besides cars running by, the course is safe because it doesn't go too close to the parking lot. Some courses will not be as safe for other locals there, the course doesn't seem to be crammed in at all. If you live in Charlotte, and read some reviews and find them positive enough, there's no reason not to play here, it's a very cool design. I saw last year because of the vegetation growing is a major issue sometimes, the course won't be playable in 2013 if it can't be enjoyable and if locals won't play it enough. I don't want it to become extinct, I love it. Play this course.
-Signature hole, actually there is more than one. #2 because it's a sick, straight downhill shot. #5 is probably the funnest wooded shot in Charlotte. Lots of OB but gimme a break, it's a fun risky shot over the OB. #12 is a grip it and rip it slight downhill bomb and #16 is a bit similar to #5 but it's open and longer. #18 from the long is an awesome +25 foot gain so it plays 669 feet. This is GOOD, GOOD GOLF.
If you don't find this review helpful, tell me why it isn't, send me a message and ask me about things you want to know more about, I'd be glad to tell you.

A Few Thoughts

1    2/18/2012   2/23/2012
Review By: DavidNC
This review was updated on 1/11/2013
Pros: As most Charlotte, NC courses, they are rated very high. We are very blessed to live in this Disc Golf Mecca
Cons: Due to the lack of input from the local club, I had to play the course on my own. Being color blind, the map furnished was of ZERO use to me. The course, not being in the greatest section of town, had only 4 signs.
Thank Goodness for a player that just happened to be there at the same time.
The local club, Charlotte Disc Golf Club; does not seem to care about updating their course information on this site.
Many Disc Golf Course Players come to this site for course info. It seems to me the local clubs could take a larger role in keeping this information up to date - What do you think?
Other Thoughts: I uploaded a new, more easily readable course map. I hope some others will find it useful. GET WITH IT CDGC!!! Keep your site and/or this site updated for eveyone coming by.
Post Script- 1/11/2013 WOW! I see from the number of negative responses that trashing the local club is frowned upon; however, I stand by my comments. Asking a color blind person to follow the green/yellow/red flags/ribbons/etc is like asking a hearing impaired individual if traffic noise is a community problem. It just doesn't work. I was on this course for over 2 3/4 hours, 1 hour of which was spent trying to locate the next tee/hole.
I apologize for ruffling some feathers-sometimes that is what is needed to bring about change. Remeber I gave the course a 4; the club I gave a much lower grade. I do hope the map I posted was useful.

5+    1/31/2012   2/7/2012
Review By: Atreyu
Pros: It's unlike other area courses as it has a lot of open holes. It's a beautiful park with a playground and a field (in case you want to practice some drives). There are some holes with a secondary placement or tee pad which can make it more challenging. Beginners will have fun airing it out and more adept players should enjoy some of the challenges that are presented to them in the longer pads. I've noticed additions to stairs on #2 and other minor tweaks are making it into a really outstanding park.
Cons: It's getting busier on really nice days. There isn't a practice pin at the beginning. No permanent signage. Some patrons are irresponsible with their trash.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the parks I prefer to play at. I go there to practice my drives a lot. It's hard for me to score at or under par.

Why I Love This Course

2-4    10/17/2011   12/12/2011
Review By: DiscJunkie
Pros: Great variety of holes; #1,5 go right to left; #2,17,6 go left to right; #3,4 and many others go dead straight. Great (maybe extreme) use of elevation; #2,5,16 go downhill; #3,6,18 go uphill. You have tight wooded holes, #4,5,6; and wide-open holes #7-14. Concrete pads, signs. The long tees/baskets play very differently than the shorts on many holes, which lends some variety.
Wind comes into play on a lot of holes.
Cons: Some holes are just litter-strewn, more than I could pick up. This may be due to lacking a lot of trash cans.
There is something to the repetitiveness of the middle holes. #9-12, the middle (road) holes are definitely lefty-friendly.
I'm a little spooked by throwing near or over a paved park road, for obvious reasons.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I like this course very much. While I enjoy tight, wooded holes, I very much enjoy playing in open spaces as well. Even on the open holes, there are danger close by. The rough is always very rough, and a well-placed throw is better than just a long throw. Even though the open holes seem easy, there's always disc-eating grass or OB close by.
Love the finishing hole, even though it kicks my rear end every single time.
I fell this course deserves a four-disc rating due to its variety and carefully planned layout. Besides, it's just a beautiful park to play on a sunny afternoon.
Playgrounds for the kids and good bathroom facilities.

Great Course well laid out

1    9/17/2010   9/17/2011
Review By: snoborderphx
Pros: Course is very well laid out. Nice technical front 9, and a very VERY long back 9. Since I live so far away, I've only gotten to play this course once, and I really liked the front 9 of this course. I enjoyed the back 9 too, but I got tired at 10 thru 16.
Cons: 10 through 16 are very long holes which makes course for intermediate and above throwers.
Other Thoughts: Also wear good shoes, bring water, and a good attitude.

Nice change of Charlotte Pace

1    3/31/2011   3/31/2011
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Starts great, gets lackluster in the middle, and then finishes with a couple of solid holes. The use of elevation is splendid, and the course flows very well. The first 6-7 holes vary pretty well in terms of lines and #17 is a quirky but fun line with a "nice" steep green. #18 is tucked behind a cool V-shaped tree which is a nice finishing touch. The first 6-7 are wooded, tunnel type holes more or less, with nice creeks, basins, and ridges to navigate. The meat of this course sandwich is much more open and more like placement golf, where your only real difficulty (besides length if you're playing from the longs) is not going OB thanks to roads, roped off marshy lowlands, and other various pavement.

The park is very clean and the course is therefore clean as well. It's not the most serene and "get back to nature" course but it's fairly pretty overall. The maintenance with mowing, tee signs, and next tee signs were pretty solid. Very easy to navigate. The tees were very well laid out and well placed, job well done. It's also right next to a busy railroad and the passing trains provide interesting ambiance.
Cons: If you don't like open, avoid the OB type holes, the holes from ~7-16 may seem monotonous. The line variety isn't great, but I wouldn't call it bad. They do play along the main park road but this didn't bother me (except when I went OB obviously).

The train is loud and could be construed as annoying.

I'd like to see more in the way of some benches. They seem to be coming along though. It was wet when we played and trails b/w holes and some holes were fairly muddy. I'm more concerned about some b/w hole walks being rutted out via erosion and foot traffic more than anything but I'm reaching.

The creek on #4 or 5 has some trash (old ladder, tires, etc) that would be nice to have picked up. There's several tires half dug into the ground on #17 that are screaming to be skeeter havens in the summer.
Other Thoughts: This is a really solid course. I kind of teeter b/w a 3.5 and a 4 disc rating but in the end I didn't want my overt bias for very wooded courses to unfairly ding it. So consider it a "weak 4." It's a nice change-up for the Charlotte area.

Course comparison: The wide open holes of Elon Long mixed with a more elevated Cedarock. This course is kind of a tune-up for longer, tougher courses like Nevin and Elon Long.

Favorite/memorable hole: #2 if and only if I nearly aced it twice, lol. But it's a really fun downhill bomb that reminds you why you play DG in the first place.

NEW FAVORITE

1    3/8/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: Mpconrad
Pros: New Course with something for everyone! From dogleg lefts to dogleg rights, over the road throws over creeks through the woods to grandmothers house you'll throw. Really guys if in the Charlotte area CHECK THIS NEWER PLACE OUT!!!!!! New baskets, new concrete tees, 2 sets of tees on some holes and nice mulched "greens" around the baskets!
Cons: Bad part of town

5+    6/28/2010   6/29/2010
Review By: hankdabank
Pros: -New flavor for Charlotte players.
-Will give players in Charlotte a chance to learn how to gauge distance and choose the best shot when the choices are unlimited.
-The size of the park allows for more potential courses in the future.
-Hole 8 or 14 will be the signature hole.
-The course is brand new and will only get better with time.
-Another sweet course by the CDGC
Cons: Make sure to bring valuables with you and do not leave them in sight inside your car - goes for just about any disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: This is the first "open" course in Charlotte. It has been designed for mid to upper level amateur players, but is sure to be enjoyable by anyone who can appreciate good course design.

Ugly Duckling-> Beautiful Swan?

5+    6/28/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 2/7/2011
Pros: This rough course is going to bloom into a beautiful gem in the Queen City's crown. The current front 9 is technical. The holes are shorter but with a lot of trouble. The baskets rest along dropoffs that will turn birdies in to bogies. Hole 2 is awesome with its raised tee and basket resting on a ridge between a retention pond and a drop off hill. Hole 5 throwing through a gap downhill to a small green along a creek is absolutly beautiful. On the front 9 elevation is used to force technical shots as much as the woods are used. The second 9 is for power throwers with the holes all in the 300-650' range. They are mostly open but many follow the park road which is OB. The rough is ROUGH, it is effectively OB to land off the fairway. The fairways are generous and wide over 200' in many cases. The amount of work done here in such a short time is unbelievable and should be commended. The course is 2 loops and brings you back to a parking lot if bathroom breaks are needed. Loop A is 6 holes loop B 12 holes. Long 14 is a great tunnel shot needing about 350' to clear to the open. Hole 17 has an amazing terraced green carved out of a boulder rock wall. The long course will rival the Hornets nest course.
It is already getting twice the play. Charlottes first openeqsue course.
Cons: As with any new course it is rough around the edges. A lot of mowing has to be done and the park department isn't helping with a lot of it. The CDGC volunteers have to mow this by hand. Some of the future OB will seem unfair and is an attempt to make shorter holes "play" as par 4's . Longer players have a distinct advantage here. Almost half the holes can only be birdied by people who can throw 420'+. Roads can be dangerous as they line 6 holes but the number of speed bumps slows traffic. Holes 13,14,18 have bad transitions. Hole 13 you basically walk all the way back next to hole 12's tee to play 13 as 300' longer. This is the same for 14. you almost walk all the way back to short 13's pad to throw the long holes. The holes are really cool...just the transitions are no fun. Hole 18 is the same, walking back 260' up the fairway. Single chains on hole 2. Future OB on 2,3,16 are cons for me.

Tee pads are CONCRETE but vary in size based on the hole. Can take you out of your rhythm.
Other Thoughts: Long and short pads make this an awesome course. This one of the most open courses in Charlotte, people forget about Sugaw. Some of the fairways are brush hogged rasberry patches. I have a feeling that a few people wont understand what they will look like after 10-15 mowings. Right now they look a little trashy but as the stems are cut up and grass grows, these will be some of the more picturesque fairways in Charlotte. The openness of the course is a mirage. The rough is something to reckon with and as one reviewer mentioned akin to the lake that defines Winthrop. It is a little better now with the hundreds of hours spent recently. Eastway reminds me of another Sugaw. If sugaw's holes were surrounded by 6' of blackberry bushes and 400-650' long. People have talked about the roads, however if you think about it the following MORE used parks in Charlotte have roads or parking lots directly in play and the edge of a fairway. Hornets Nest - 5 roads and parking lots, Renny - 5 roads and parking lots, Sugaw - 6 roads and parking lots. This course is already getting tons of play and will be beat down in short order. Anyways, another MUST see in Charlotte.