Charlotte, NC
Eastway Park Share
Uploaded By: nuckyman Hole #11 (Taken 6/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Beastway!

2-4    3/23/2014   3/24/2014
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: The course is pretty wide open but does play through the trees on a few holes. Some elevation in play & it is used very well! Nice, large concrete tee pads with alternate tee pads on some holes. These alt tee pads have very different looks from the short pads which I like! Some OB in play. Some wide open green grass & some tree lined alley shots. Good mix of long & short & left & right-handed throws! Hole 2 in the long is one of my favorites!
Cons: The rough is tall in some spots (you could lose a disc). The middle of the course can get a bit repetitive (open holes by the road). Lock up your valuables!
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 is a bomber in the long!! It's very pretty once you get up to the short pad with all the old growth trees in the fairway! This place is a good compliment to the many quality courses in the area. Definately worth the drive!

Fun for the Rest of Us

5+    12/14/2013   1/4/2014
Review By: St. Benedisc
Pros: A super-fun course to play that has plenty of wide-open holes with just the right amount of woods holes thrown in. The fairways on woods holes are wide enough to not be overly punishing to those of us who aren't expert throwers.
Cons: None

This is a "parky" course

5+    10/26/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: Eastway is one of the nicer courses in the Charlotte area! Whats nice about this course is that a lot of the holes are OPEN! You can really strecth your arm on your tee shots. The holes that are in the woods are also nice cause the fairways are not so tight that your consantly hitting trees. Most tee boxes have benches and the tee signs are in very good shape!
Cons: The only Con I can think of is that on hole 17 somebody stole the basket! Sometimes you have to wait for cars to drive by cause some holes require you to throw over the road into the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is fun to play! Its great for beginners and pros! If your in the area and have time play the course you won't be disapointed!

Very Nice

1    5/26/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: NC-Tuc
Pros: A great mostly open course to air out some discs! Very cool place to play. Didn't expect this nice of a course for such a busy area. It's tucked away enough to forget that you are in between to very busy intersections!! A variety of challenging holes and some nice confidence booster holes as well. Very nice layout. It flows fairly well. Beautiful trees!! Very cool Huge Oak tree where a house use to be.
Cons: Some holes had over flowing trash bags. If I'd brought some bags I'd cleaned up some. Next time I'll bring bags.

Other Thoughts: A must play if you are in that area.

Eastway: The Black Sheep of the Family

2-4    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 5/30/2013
Pros: Most of us in Charlotte have noticed by now that Stan McDaniel loves creating courses that make use of the philosophy "high risk-high reward". Eastway Park is definitely no exception. This course is very challenging because the fairways neatly cut out of a very dense pine forest that is surrounded by extremely thick, tall brush filled with thorns. The manicured fairways on the majority of the course provide a nice reprieve from the wooded courses we North Carolinians are accustomed too. However a few holes on both the front and back 9 will take us back to our roots- trying not to trip over tree roots (pun intended). Holes 2, 3, 9, 13, 14, and 18 all have long pads to throw from. (13 and 14 are not use in tournaments.)

However, people with big arms will really enjoy this course. The fairways are long, open, and for the most part clear and easy to see. Using proper equipment with DISCatcher Pros and concrete Pads, we can see that this course truly does belong in the Queen City. The park itself offers a soccer field you can use to warm up your drives, a restroom facility, a practice basket, volleyball court, and a nice playground for your children. This course is also less than 5 minutes away from Sugaw Creek and fairly close to Kilborne and Reedy Creek- allowing for a fun Saturday full of Disc Golf.
Cons: As I said in the above section, the roughage on this course is extremely rough. If you try to throw the green every hole, without complete control of your disc, expect to lose one (eventually). In the least be ready to check yourself for ticks when you are done playing. The long pads are a nice touch that beef of the difficulty for experienced players, but since 13 and 14 aren't used in tournament play, their extended fairways are generally overgrown and harder to navigate. If you choose to play Long, I would skip 13 and 14; not only are they overgrown from lack of use, they will make your round less smooth because they are both kind of out of the way. 5 Holes are played up and down the road that leads into the park, which provides a nice challenge, and sets up interesting shots. Unfortunately staying in close proximity to the road for such a long period of time becomes stale and breaks the secluded feeling a lot of the park benefits from. Hole 14 lacks a real short tee pad, and is thrown behind a spray-painted line (which can be harder to find for newer players.) There is also a distinct lack of benches and trash cans along the course. The combination of all these things makes me hesitant to give the course a higher rating. UPDATE: Just played here again, and there are a few more benches than I remembered there being. Due to this, I am going to give the course .5 points higher. Some of the brush can still be treacherous, but really the lack of trash cans along the holes hurts the most. Which is unfortunate since so many holes are easily accessible to empty the cans.
Other Thoughts: More work seems to be going into this park. I love the long open shots on a lot of the holes, and appreciate the change of pace from the course designer's general trend to keep things tight and technical.

Just like other courses in Charlotte, after my 3rd play-through, I have absolutely fallen in love with this course. This past round I didn't hold back as much because I knew the course better, and let my drives open up. Some of my drives were thrown a bit off my line, but luckily I was able to keep an eye on all of them so I didn't lose anything. (Almost did on 5, somehow overthrew the basket without hitting a tree.) I didn't like it as much until this last round, but 16 is probably my favorite hole on this course. If you have the distance and accuracy to park the green, it is super fun. (I wouldn't suggest going for it, unless you are fairly confident in your distance since the fairway is lined in thick brush.)

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 13, 16

Beastway

2-4    5/18/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: tater66
Pros: Long drives on many holes, very tight technical shots on others. This course really makes me think about how to play a hole, and then requires a good shot to stay out of trouble.
Cons: very hard to find discs that get into the brush, at least in the late spring / summer. Probably no too bad in the late fall & winter.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, a good mix of tight technical holes & bombers. Very challenging!

Worlds Road Trip

1    7/7/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Good tee pads
-Good Tee Signs
-Baskets are in good shape
-Good mix of hole types (RHBH, RHFH)
-Good use of elevation
-Interesting pin locations
Cons: -Wish there was more wooded holes
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I went on a little road trip with some friends right before Worlds. We wanted to play as many of the courses we could and get an idea of how challenging they would be. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. We played behind Catrina Allen, saw Michael Johansen practicing, and met Paige Pierce... As for the course, it was beautiful. A great layout of the area and use of the land. No hole was the same. Everything was different. I loved the use of elevation. I guess I have it a 3.5 because I was spoiled playing Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold, and Winthrop before I played here. It is still a great course and I highly recommend playing here if nearby.

Wide open and a great change of pace from other CLT courses

1    1/19/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/22/2013
Pros: + Great tees, some short and long, but always with good signage
+ Great baskets, a couple with short and long, but we played the short ones
+ I doubt the course design was as effortless as it played, but it honestly felt smooth as silk
+ The fairways seemed excellently carved and I bet this would be a gorgeous course when the colors of the trees and plants are brightest
+ Some Charlotte courses make you feel claustrophobic with their tight butthole fairways, but this one was loose and generous
+ Only mild elevation change made playing this course quick and easy, but still a fun round
+ Signage made us laugh a few times because they showed the actual shape of trees and railroad tracks for the teepads
+ This course layout, generosity, and forgiveability really allows you to stretch your arm, utilize all your shots and all your discs
+ Memorable holes were #5, #15, #16, and #18
Cons: - Nothing really stands out as over the top awesome, but in a town with 14+ courses that's only a minor negative
- The stream on #6 is very deep in spots, so retrieving a bad throw could suck
- I really did not like throwing over and around the road mainly because people around here don't care enough to slow down
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course for a good round of golf. It doesn't matter than this course isn't over the top awesome with an abundance of woodwork and "amenities" so to speak. It has what it needs to be a truly solid course. The fairways are clear, even on the wooded holes, there's a little water, a lot of distance, and potential for satisfying rounds. This course has its place in Charlotte for sure. It is definitely a course to play for a change of pace from the rest of the crazy courses around.

Eastway for Beast Play

1    12/30/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Eastway DGC is a complete 18 hole course with plenty of wide open, long-ranging fairways. The park was nice and well kept, and the layout was well marked and easy to follow. The first few holes are reachable, but not right under your nose, and some have minor elevation changes. The middle and end of the course tended to be longer and flatter. Four holes offered long tees, working out of the wooded fringes of the park, and extending already lengthy holes. Most of the challenge presented is due to distance, as open tees allow great freedom off the tee in most cases.

The holes all had concrete tees, and good baskets, as well as signs and other transitional markers. There are bathrooms and trash cans at the parking lot, and park watch (security) was on the scene when we got there, not when we left.
Cons: Really not a lot to complain about, but lacking any truly remarkable features. The layout is good use of the park space, but does cross the street twice. The sparsely wooded park seldom forces a well placed, or highly technical throw.
Other Thoughts: Eastway park is a valid example of a good disc golf course, but with so many others in the area, it doesn't compare favorably in to me in most cases. I like airing out crushing drives as much as the next guy, but more is required to maintain my level of interest. Reminds me of University DGC in Clemson with better flow and scenery.

Sweetway

2-4    12/23/2012   12/23/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/15/2013
Pros: -Nice park in Charlotte with one heck of a course. It's course to Sugaw and Kilborne (which I'm playing tomorrow). It's scenic and the "open" course in Queen city.
-Nice grippy teepads. Maybe 9 feet long so you can have a natural run up.
-Great use of elevation like many previous reviewers have said. Particularly #2, maybe a 30 foot drop and #3 gains 25 feet but those are not the only holes with great elevation.
-Again, the course is open, today I had a few 300+ drives, one around 330' on #12. Maybe a few others. The wooded holes are #4, #5, #6, #17 and #18.
-Course has many standout holes, like #2, #3, #5, #12, #17 and #18. Two has a large drop in elevation, the fairway isn't cut all the way but it's not too bad if you give it a small hyzer, it only plays 201', if you can't get there then this hole isn't really for you. #3 is a short straight uphill ace run that requires a small hyzer, #5 is a tough downhill wooded par 3 that has quite a bit of OB, so you should have a 215' foot drive to avoid it, basket's on a platform. #12 is a very long open bomb slightly downhill, #17 is a sidearmer's ace run with a steep dropoff to the right, #18 is a well polished finishing hole with the basket behind a large "V" tree. Those are the extra good holes but almost every hole is fun.
-Two teepads on #3, #9, #13, #14, which is a killer, #17 and #18 which is also a monster. Long basket on #2 which is a slight dogleg right that goes into the woods.
-Practice basket by #1 by the parking lot, the baskets catch fine despite being a bit vandalized and beaten up a little.
-Nice variety of dropoffs like #8 and #17 and #5 is on a small platform, elevation changes, OB (Quite a lot), doglegs (#2 long, #6, #13 long, #14 long) open and woods.
-It's not as sketchy is it is considered, Sugaw and Kilborne are but when I play here, there isn't any trouble, homeless people don't hang around here and neither do rebels.
-Benches are on every or almost every hole.
-Plenty of restaurants that are pretty close like Wendy's, Bojangles and a few others.
Cons: -It's rough, when I played today, there was quite a bit of vegetation, particularly on #12, my shot was an anhyzer and if that happens to you, you better hope your drive goes a good distance, I went past it, which was one of my longest drives, yet again, my approach shot was blocked so I had to have a turnover shot which gave me a bogey.
-Course isn't AS sketchy but the baskets are beat up and vandalized a bit. Don't let it bug you too much because they catch great for baskets in just average shape.
-Yes, lack of anemities like trashcans. I don't know if the bathrooms are very clean either. All the litter around the course shows that there are not enough trashcans.
-Nope, not very beginner friendly, there is a large amount of OB on the course, and there are no mandos. Whatever is marked by orange flags, it's OB. #16 is a fun open, pretty long hole, the whole ravine is OB which some people will find inconsiderate, That's not it, this course easily has the most OB in Charlotte. I was okay with some of it and some I really felt like ignoring. If you think #9 at Sugaw creek's OB is overdone, wait until you see all of this. Forget it if you are a beginner, enjoy the game and play it when you can throw maybe 250'.
-Some holes, you have a chance in hitting a car and I don't like that #11 is very close to #10's fairway, I like the holes but it's a bit unsafe when there is a tournament and #18's front teepad is way too small.
-I don't like #6 a lot to be honest, it's a par 3 that's 249' that plays 286'. It's short but it's an uphill shot out of the woods with a dropoff to the left and to the right, you have a chance in losing a disc. Not a fan of #15 either as it has a very high change in losing a disc. It's just me though, some people find them fun.
Other Thoughts: Yes, the course has cons and some should be fixed but I never said don't play here. Eastway is great and it's the first course in Charlotte I played. On 11/11/11. I got maybe +16 over and today, I got a score that isn't too satisfying (+7) but I have fun when I play here. I'm going to disagree with people saying it's beginner friendly despite all of the OB and some of the distances but if you are at least an intermediate in the Charlotte area and have a chance to play it, then do it. It consists of very fun holes and it's a nice family park with a playground, GIANT field for football and soccer and mainly a fun course. The course flows well and besides cars running by, the course is safe because it doesn't go too close to the parking lot. Some courses will not be as safe for other locals there, the course doesn't seem to be crammed in at all. If you live in Charlotte, and read some reviews and find them positive enough, there's no reason not to play here, it's a very cool design. I saw last year because of the vegetation growing is a major issue sometimes, the course won't be playable in 2013 if it can't be enjoyable and if locals won't play it enough. I don't want it to become extinct, I love it. Play this course.
-Signature hole, actually there is more than one. #2 because it's a sick, straight downhill shot. #5 is probably the funnest wooded shot in Charlotte. Lots of OB but gimme a break, it's a fun risky shot over the OB. #12 is a grip it and rip it slight downhill bomb and #16 is a bit similar to #5 but it's open and longer. #18 from the long is an awesome +25 foot gain so it plays 669 feet. This is GOOD, GOOD GOLF.
If you don't find this review helpful, tell me why it isn't, send me a message and ask me about things you want to know more about, I'd be glad to tell you.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5