Charlotte, NC
Eastway Park Share
Uploaded By: nuckyman Hole #1 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #1 Tee: Basket is left behind trees

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Beastway

2-4    7/21/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: TOB3RT
Pros: This course is just absolutely amazing. I have played a majority of the courses within a 25 mile radius of Rock Hill, and it is definitely in the top 3, if not number 1. For starters, there is a "high-risk high-reward" on many of the holes. Hole 2 is one of the funnest I have played in awhile, due to the steep downhill slope and the danger of the left OB. Many holes incorporate this ideology when you have to throw over swampy, thorny manifestations of untamed growth, or you're surrounded by them with a tight, neatly groomed, fairway.

This course is playable for any level of disc golfer. The holes range from 200 ft to 440 ft (short tees) or from 250 ft to 656 ft (long tees). Be wary, however, because holes 2, 11, 12, 13, and 16 have really easy ways to lose a disc and, especially if it rained recently, almost impossible to get it out without the right equipment. If you do not have trust in your ability, I would definitely play it safe on these holes.

The course features: Concrete tee pads, DISCatcher pros, restrooms, a football field where you are able to test your drives, a park for children, and benches on almost every hole.
Cons: While the cons were few, they did skew my rating from a 4.5 to a 4. For starters, trash everywhere at the beginning of holes. There are a few trashcans, but it seems like the people who were there before us did not seem to care. There was a broken glass bottle on hole 2 smack dab on the tee-pad which is infuriating to see, especially if it was because of other disc-golfers.

Another big problem for me is hole 14. Hole 14 does not have a tee-pad. Instead, there is a white line painted on an asphalt road that no traffic comes onto. You walk a path to get to it, and as soon as you get on the road it should be right in front of you. It was a bit difficult to notice upon first playing this course.

The brush, for beginners, is really not easy to handle. The first time we went, we spent about 15 minutes on every hole with a great rough looking for our discs. We found them, along with some other discs with no ink, but it took a long time to do so.

Other Thoughts: The biggest con for me, although it cannot be helped by the park itself, is the ongoing construction outside of the park. Taking N. Tryon St is not the direction to go, due to the bridge being closed off. From N. Tryon St. I would turn on to E. Sugar Creek Rd and turn left at The Plaza. Once on to The Plaza, Eastway Dr. will be the first light. Take a left onto it and the park will be on your right. We did not realize construction was going on, and drudged through traffic only to be hit by "Road Closed" signs.

Lovely, well groomed course, that does not seem like it gets a lot of traffic. We were not waiting behind anyone nor was anyone waiting for us any of the times we played. Excellent course.

Beastway!

2-4    3/23/2014   3/24/2014
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: The course is pretty wide open but does play through the trees on a few holes. Some elevation in play & it is used very well! Nice, large concrete tee pads with alternate tee pads on some holes. These alt tee pads have very different looks from the short pads which I like! Some OB in play. Some wide open green grass & some tree lined alley shots. Good mix of long & short & left & right-handed throws! Hole 2 in the long is one of my favorites!
Cons: The rough is tall in some spots (you could lose a disc). The middle of the course can get a bit repetitive (open holes by the road). Lock up your valuables!
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 is a bomber in the long!! It's very pretty once you get up to the short pad with all the old growth trees in the fairway! This place is a good compliment to the many quality courses in the area. Definately worth the drive!

Fun for the Rest of Us

5+    12/14/2013   1/4/2014
Review By: St. Benedisc
This review was updated on 8/24/2014
Pros: A super-fun course to play that has plenty of wide-open holes with just the right amount of woods holes thrown in. The fairways on woods holes are wide enough to not be overly punishing to those of us who aren't expert throwers.
Cons: The native weeds that grow up in the landing zone of #2 long and #5 during the summer are notoriously good at hiding your disc--thrower beware!

This is a "parky" course

5+    10/26/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: Eastway is one of the nicer courses in the Charlotte area! Whats nice about this course is that a lot of the holes are OPEN! You can really strecth your arm on your tee shots. The holes that are in the woods are also nice cause the fairways are not so tight that your consantly hitting trees. Most tee boxes have benches and the tee signs are in very good shape!
Cons: The only Con I can think of is that on hole 17 somebody stole the basket! Sometimes you have to wait for cars to drive by cause some holes require you to throw over the road into the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is fun to play! Its great for beginners and pros! If your in the area and have time play the course you won't be disapointed!

Very Nice

1    5/26/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: NC-Tuc
Pros: A great mostly open course to air out some discs! Very cool place to play. Didn't expect this nice of a course for such a busy area. It's tucked away enough to forget that you are in between to very busy intersections!! A variety of challenging holes and some nice confidence booster holes as well. Very nice layout. It flows fairly well. Beautiful trees!! Very cool Huge Oak tree where a house use to be.
Cons: Some holes had over flowing trash bags. If I'd brought some bags I'd cleaned up some. Next time I'll bring bags.

Other Thoughts: A must play if you are in that area.

Eastway: The Black Sheep of the Family

2-4    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 5/30/2013
Pros: Most of us in Charlotte have noticed by now that Stan McDaniel loves creating courses that make use of the philosophy "high risk-high reward". Eastway Park is definitely no exception. This course is very challenging because the fairways neatly cut out of a very dense pine forest that is surrounded by extremely thick, tall brush filled with thorns. The manicured fairways on the majority of the course provide a nice reprieve from the wooded courses we North Carolinians are accustomed too. However a few holes on both the front and back 9 will take us back to our roots- trying not to trip over tree roots (pun intended). Holes 2, 3, 9, 13, 14, and 18 all have long pads to throw from. (13 and 14 are not use in tournaments.)

However, people with big arms will really enjoy this course. The fairways are long, open, and for the most part clear and easy to see. Using proper equipment with DISCatcher Pros and concrete Pads, we can see that this course truly does belong in the Queen City. The park itself offers a soccer field you can use to warm up your drives, a restroom facility, a practice basket, volleyball court, and a nice playground for your children. This course is also less than 5 minutes away from Sugaw Creek and fairly close to Kilborne and Reedy Creek- allowing for a fun Saturday full of Disc Golf.
Cons: As I said in the above section, the roughage on this course is extremely rough. If you try to throw the green every hole, without complete control of your disc, expect to lose one (eventually). In the least be ready to check yourself for ticks when you are done playing. The long pads are a nice touch that beef of the difficulty for experienced players, but since 13 and 14 aren't used in tournament play, their extended fairways are generally overgrown and harder to navigate. If you choose to play Long, I would skip 13 and 14; not only are they overgrown from lack of use, they will make your round less smooth because they are both kind of out of the way. 5 Holes are played up and down the road that leads into the park, which provides a nice challenge, and sets up interesting shots. Unfortunately staying in close proximity to the road for such a long period of time becomes stale and breaks the secluded feeling a lot of the park benefits from. Hole 14 lacks a real short tee pad, and is thrown behind a spray-painted line (which can be harder to find for newer players.) There is also a distinct lack of benches and trash cans along the course. The combination of all these things makes me hesitant to give the course a higher rating. UPDATE: Just played here again, and there are a few more benches than I remembered there being. Due to this, I am going to give the course .5 points higher. Some of the brush can still be treacherous, but really the lack of trash cans along the holes hurts the most. Which is unfortunate since so many holes are easily accessible to empty the cans.
Other Thoughts: More work seems to be going into this park. I love the long open shots on a lot of the holes, and appreciate the change of pace from the course designer's general trend to keep things tight and technical.

Just like other courses in Charlotte, after my 3rd play-through, I have absolutely fallen in love with this course. This past round I didn't hold back as much because I knew the course better, and let my drives open up. Some of my drives were thrown a bit off my line, but luckily I was able to keep an eye on all of them so I didn't lose anything. (Almost did on 5, somehow overthrew the basket without hitting a tree.) I didn't like it as much until this last round, but 16 is probably my favorite hole on this course. If you have the distance and accuracy to park the green, it is super fun. (I wouldn't suggest going for it, unless you are fairly confident in your distance since the fairway is lined in thick brush.)

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 13, 16

Beastway

2-4    5/18/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: tater66
Pros: Long drives on many holes, very tight technical shots on others. This course really makes me think about how to play a hole, and then requires a good shot to stay out of trouble.
Cons: very hard to find discs that get into the brush, at least in the late spring / summer. Probably no too bad in the late fall & winter.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, a good mix of tight technical holes & bombers. Very challenging!

Worlds Road Trip

1    7/7/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Good tee pads
-Good Tee Signs
-Baskets are in good shape
-Good mix of hole types (RHBH, RHFH)
-Good use of elevation
-Interesting pin locations
Cons: -Wish there was more wooded holes
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I went on a little road trip with some friends right before Worlds. We wanted to play as many of the courses we could and get an idea of how challenging they would be. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. We played behind Catrina Allen, saw Michael Johansen practicing, and met Paige Pierce... As for the course, it was beautiful. A great layout of the area and use of the land. No hole was the same. Everything was different. I loved the use of elevation. I guess I have it a 3.5 because I was spoiled playing Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold, and Winthrop before I played here. It is still a great course and I highly recommend playing here if nearby.

Wide open and a great change of pace from other CLT courses

1    1/19/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/22/2013
Pros: + Great tees, some short and long, but always with good signage
+ Great baskets, a couple with short and long, but we played the short ones
+ I doubt the course design was as effortless as it played, but it honestly felt smooth as silk
+ The fairways seemed excellently carved and I bet this would be a gorgeous course when the colors of the trees and plants are brightest
+ Some Charlotte courses make you feel claustrophobic with their tight butthole fairways, but this one was loose and generous
+ Only mild elevation change made playing this course quick and easy, but still a fun round
+ Signage made us laugh a few times because they showed the actual shape of trees and railroad tracks for the teepads
+ This course layout, generosity, and forgiveability really allows you to stretch your arm, utilize all your shots and all your discs
+ Memorable holes were #5, #15, #16, and #18
Cons: - Nothing really stands out as over the top awesome, but in a town with 14+ courses that's only a minor negative
- The stream on #6 is very deep in spots, so retrieving a bad throw could suck
- I really did not like throwing over and around the road mainly because people around here don't care enough to slow down
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course for a good round of golf. It doesn't matter than this course isn't over the top awesome with an abundance of woodwork and "amenities" so to speak. It has what it needs to be a truly solid course. The fairways are clear, even on the wooded holes, there's a little water, a lot of distance, and potential for satisfying rounds. This course has its place in Charlotte for sure. It is definitely a course to play for a change of pace from the rest of the crazy courses around.

Eastway for Beast Play

1    12/30/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Eastway DGC is a complete 18 hole course with plenty of wide open, long-ranging fairways. The park was nice and well kept, and the layout was well marked and easy to follow. The first few holes are reachable, but not right under your nose, and some have minor elevation changes. The middle and end of the course tended to be longer and flatter. Four holes offered long tees, working out of the wooded fringes of the park, and extending already lengthy holes. Most of the challenge presented is due to distance, as open tees allow great freedom off the tee in most cases.

The holes all had concrete tees, and good baskets, as well as signs and other transitional markers. There are bathrooms and trash cans at the parking lot, and park watch (security) was on the scene when we got there, not when we left.
Cons: Really not a lot to complain about, but lacking any truly remarkable features. The layout is good use of the park space, but does cross the street twice. The sparsely wooded park seldom forces a well placed, or highly technical throw.
Other Thoughts: Eastway park is a valid example of a good disc golf course, but with so many others in the area, it doesn't compare favorably in to me in most cases. I like airing out crushing drives as much as the next guy, but more is required to maintain my level of interest. Reminds me of University DGC in Clemson with better flow and scenery.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5