Parma, NY
Parma DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #12 (Taken 6/2010)

playing in the snow

5+    12/21/2010   12/22/2010
Review By: ...NICK...DAY...
This review was updated on 1/19/2011
Pros: fun course, great mix of wide open fairways & tight woods shots. lots of elevation changes. one of the best courses rochester has to offer!
fairways are well kept & wide open for
Cons: tight wooded shots take up half the course--need a spotter in the winter, easy to lose sight of your throw. 1 port-o-john @ 1st tee (near parking lot)
Other Thoughts: truely the best "17 hole" course in rochester. its a long drive from the east side of town, but totally worth it! hole 9-over shallow creek; a hole-in-1 shoot out every time, hole 10-great hole for leftys, hole 12-shoots across a huge field ending up in the woods---awesome!
if visiting from out of town, or living here, this course is definately worth the trip, every season is fun to play in parma!

Instant Parma Gonna Get You!

1    9/26/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: I was informed that this is the up and coming masterpiece of the Rochester scene. Thats an understatement. This course while still a work in progress and missing signage and prone to navigation issues still is an unforgetable mix of perfect par 3s, interesting par 4s, bombs, and a few unique holes I have never encountered anywhere else. Despite my getting lost a handful of times the quality of design and the uniqueness of the holes kept me smiling. Usually such nuisances ruin my round and kill my mojo....no bad karma here at glad Parma. For every moment I was lost I was delighted when I encountered the next tee and all was forgiven.
A mixture of tight woods and open carpet like manicured grass lawns make for the perfect canvas. There are undulating elevation shifts in the woods that form baby valley holes, cliff tee shots, fast greens, uphill basket locations, and a massive bank in your face of one tee requiring a different tee shot. A pleasant stream that steals strokes but won't steal discs meanders through a few holes. A few strategy holes where you must execute shot to shot to score well to earn your par 4. I really liked holes 4 and 5 as you transitioned into and out of the woods on these holes and placement shots were key to get par. 5 was especially difficult with a tight line out of the woods to a gusty field and then a blind approach down a bank and to a wooded green.
12 threw from woods to field and then forced a sharp anny or a tight flick back into a woodline green.
There were 2 open holes that skirted woodlines and punished early fades harshly with either a cliff drop off or thick schule (8&13).
One completely open huge drive to a semi protected basket (14)....I think if you can provide one of these holes on every course it's a good thing.
#1 provides a choice of going R or L around a schule thicket.
#7 is a wild straight up a bank to an open fairway defined by evergreens.....seems easy but how do you tee off here?
#18 is a finsher that is attainable with a good drive but is one of those long straight open shots that if you turnover or fade your sitting behind brush and wondering why you didn'y play it a tad more conservatively.
Every shot has an element of risk and uniqueness where you could birdie or bogey based strictly on your skill and execution. A completely fair design that punishes foolish players and limits lesser players to bogey golf and rewards execution and superior skill.
Where this course really shines is in the creative and wonderful par 3s. Every Par 3 here brings different elements of danger into play with danger and reward in every shot utilizing water, elevation, tightness, fast greens, and choices to make for some of the best assortment of par 3 golf I've found on one course. All could be aced or bogeyed. These holes were the strongest element of the course.
Quite simply not a badly designed hole on the course. Every hole is either forcing you to try something unconventional, demanding you perform at your highest level or tempting you try something risky. Thats good design and my hats off to whoever came up with the concepts here.
I should add very nice new concrete tees throughout the course. Will be the jewel of the Amateur Championships in 2011.
Cons: Obviously the signage was nonexistant (but I'm sure they may still be tweaking basket positions/par and the signs will be in shortly) Problem solved when I went back to my car and got my phone and used the online map.
I really wish that the old 2 was somehow allowed to exist..a very fun looking hole :(
I can't bash this course it's amongst the best use of parkland and there are no activities in the areas of the park except for a few people walking dogs. You get lost in your round out there and thats a good thing.
Other Thoughts: I would have enjoyed a few more longer woods holes of the landing zone par 4 and 5 variety. Seemed the long holes were in the open and the shorter holes were all in the woods. I am a fan of throwing big tee shots through the woods. I'm not sure these woods are capable of that as they seemed less mature and perhaps the lanes just are not there.
Some tough Transitions and a simple rule of thumb is that whenever you feel lost of where to go...simply go left. Every confusing transition you will find that if you go left you will find the next tee. Oh and print out a map or have a guide. Don't let all the comments about navigation scare you away...this is the one to play in the Roc and will be for years to come.

Excellent 18

1    9/27/2010   9/27/2010
Review By: Pyro419
Pros: Wonderful course layout with a mix of just about anything a golfer could ask for. plenty of tightly wooded fairways, open long driving space, elevation change, distance variation. lots of tricky shots and plenty of trouble to get into. an all around great place to play.
Cons: No sinage/course direction to speak of. without a map I wouldn't have found half of the tees/baskets. but once you have made it through one round, future navigation wouldn't be an issue. 1st timers, bring a map for sure.
Other Thoughts: with some nice signs and direction this would be one of the very best courses I have played so far.

Great update

1    9/22/2010   9/22/2010
Review By: 1978
Pros: Layout - Hole Design:
Very good layout and variety of holes. Short and technical and long and open are mixed. Most of the holes are fair. 9 and 10 throw from elevated tees to a basket and are beautiful. I loved hole 6 as well. Throwing a long a mowed creek to a basket 340' away. This course has forced uphill overhand shots as well. The open holes were mowed short and nice and a lot of the prickers that surrounded trees in the fairways have been removed. There is a raised basket and a few baskets on the sides of hills. This adds to the variety and required up and down hill shot making abilites. There is even a hole 1A for tournaments over a little pond (old hole 2).

Pads:
GREAT! They were 14-16' long I believe in some cases on long throw holes. Some people get confused because they try to use the entire run up. Dug into the ground to aid the step off.

Extras: Porta john, ample parking, benches.
Cons: Trash cans! =1 I think. The portajohn isn't the greatest. No tee signs or next tee signs so you can get lost or skip holes like I did in a practice round. (I hear they are ready for install). A few "fair"ways need a little more fairing. Especially for worlds. I dont think you should have an part of a hole that is just "huck and luck" where you throw "at" the green on an upshot and "hope" to miss a tree. Less than 10 total small trees taken out on , 4 green, 5 (old dead pines on left), 6, especially 11 would make the course almost perfectly fair all the way through.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the new update to a course that I previously rated a 2.5. With signage and some retaining walls on the hill edge holes and removal of some trees I would probably rate this course up again to 4.5. Definitely a must see on any visit to Rochester. This is an advanced level course for sure. I like that there are a lot of pine trees that wont lose leaves in the winter...keeping the course difficult. I think its a shame that some of the new holes cut across the old holes fairways. Like #12. There is room for another 6 holes! out there in an already mowed field. I think you could have had 2-3 900'+ fairways for tournaments that you could spit in half to have extra holes in day to day play or vice versa. Otherwise a great job on the course.

Soon to be Rochester's Finest, Now it is.

1    6/25/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: roclover
This review was updated on 9/1/2011
Pros: Diversity in hole length, look, elevation, and obstacles.
Holes that can actually play as legit tournament Par 4's!! (Huge bonus)
Nice long concrete pads. Very nice baskets.
Excellent mix of shots... uphill, downhill, water hazards, hyzer, anhyzer, flex, even some places for thumbers, tomahawks and rollers.
Beautifully maintained and mowed fairways, and creative and well placed pins.
Cons: No sign-age that I could see, and the map I picked up was wrong.

Awkward navigation between a few holes (especially 1 to 2 and 6 to 7 if I remember correctly)

Some of the rough contains some nasty prickers that cut up my friend pretty badly when he tried to retrieve an errant shot.
Other Thoughts: This course is extremely well balanced. One of my biggest complaints about most courses is that I always end up throwing a Roc, Gator or Rhyno off the tee. As someone who throws to lengths of 325' with a midrange 450' with a driver I often don't get to bust out the Teebird and Boss as much as I'd like to.

Right away on hole 1 I got to drive a nice 350' hyzer skip shot for an easy deuce. Hole 2 and 3 where then a nice change of pace with much shorter distances but very tight lines to follow allowing me to throw a Roc and then a Rhyno off the tee. 4 and 5 were big time highlights for me on this course. 4 is a huge 700 ft bomb that requires an accurate drive of about 430' across a mostly open field to get to the opening of the woods. Once in the woods you still have a very tight 270' to get to the well protected and perched basket. I managed a 3 on this with a Boss, Roc and 40' jump put, though I know that I just as easily could've ended up with a 5. All it would take is one slight miscalculation. #5 is the standout hole on this course in my mind... A par 4 that depends on both finesse and accurate power to achieve a birdie. RHBH (like myself) will be forced to throw a controlled 200' anhyzer on a tight line to clear through the first section of woods. If you succeed at that you still have a difficult shot across a field with scattered obstacles and down a slight hill and to the right, tucked among trees and thorns (but with a nice 30' landing zone) is the basket. I attempted a Roc anhyzer for my second shot, but left it short, missed a 30 ft putt and took a par. Next time I think I would actually play my second shot as a Teebird skip shot (RHFH) to get it down and to the right far enough.

There are other amazing holes and fun holes at this course, but I definitely enjoyed 4 and 5 the most. As Rochester continues to get ready for AM Worlds 2011 I assume signs will go up and this course will get better and better. With a little more work This course will be a 4.5 possibly a 5.0.

UPDATE!!! Played the course after it had been all fixed up with signage for AM Worlds and it was fantastic. This is now a MUST PLAY for anyone going through the area.

In preparation for 2011 Am Worlds..life is good

5+    9/7/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: WillACarpenter
Pros: Great tee pads, fantastic variety of shots, beautiful scenery, always perfectly mowed.

Any time a vandal breaks something this place is nearly immediately fixed.

this course i loved, and keeps better better. There's something for everybody. There are only a few spots on the course that have elevation changes and you spend a goof chunk of your time weaving back and forth across those areas to get the most out of it.
Cons:
This place NEEDS SIGNS. I'll give this an extra .5 rating when it gets them. Here's why:

The only real problem this course has is that until you know where the tee pads are, it's really hard to navigate.

Part of this comes from the fact that they had to remove Old Hole 2 from casual play via the VFW's request. It makes sense if you know the story...but I don't think golfers were warned adequately (how about posting a sign on the board?) and when the new rules weren't followed the town said to take it out.

Now you have to walk backwards from the basket on one, past old 2's basket to current 2's tee...If you'd never played there before you'd walk to hole 4's tee and assume that you're shooting towards the basket that you can see...you're not. That's hole 7's basket..you need to shoot down the fairway and hook left into the woods.

And also the new hole 11 (fantastic addition btw) is an entirely different route than it used to be on the old layout and different from the initial new layout...once you finish 10 go left and left until you see the new hole...then follow the deer grass along the woods to the right.

"short" tees are either missing or hard to see/find on most hole
Other Thoughts: Parma will be getting better over the next year as fairways get trimmed up (on the new holes) and basket placements get a little more permanent. Hole 5 currently has an "unfairway" but it's the same for everybody so it's kind of a moot point.

With a little more TLC, and some signage, and proper "shorts" I will eventually give parma a 4.5 disc rating. It's rochester's crown jewel and it really is awesome.

Great new course

1    5/23/2010   6/18/2010
Review By: OzzyMac
Pros: Nice combination of open and wooded holes. Lots of "signature" holes, and a wide variety of right/left straight holes. The teepads are concrete and some of them are the longest I've ever seen. This is the best place around to show your stuff as each hole offers a variety of flight paths and routes. Players with strong forehand/backhand/tomahawk/thumber combinations could probably put together good rounds here.
Cons: BUGS were pretty bad, and the PRICKERS were the worst I've seen. Watch for big bushes in the fairways as these are almost completely covered in prickers. Can make retreiving a disc rather difficult.
Other Thoughts: This is in close vacinity to Baker Farm or Basil Park so you can squeeze in 2-3 rounds to make a road trip worth it.

1    6/11/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: the_donkey
Pros: The holes in the woods are awesome. Great use of elevation and small stream. Cement tee pads are wonderful.
Cons: Navigating the course was very confusing! It's a long walk from the basket to the next tee in some spots and there's no indication of where to go. We wasted at least 30 minutes just trying to find our way around. I'm not too crazy about some of the holes that are out in the open but I suppose the variety is good.
Other Thoughts: I'm certainly going to play this course again. Finding my way around will hopefully be less frustrating having done it once already.

*** Regarding the map: the one on grdgc.org is NOT up to date. Get the map from here on dgcoursereview! ***

Great just got better

1    6/12/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: Utilizes landscaping and elevation changes to it's maximum potential. I thought the old course was one of the most aesthetically pleasing courses, but the new layout improved the courses beauty even more.
The landscaping is very well maintained.
Great variety of holes and challenges.
Nice small town course that has become a hidden gem.
New large concrete tee pads.
All of the changes improved the course, I thought I would miss the old hole 2, but all of the new holes are better than that hole.
Cons: The only real con is navigation. There are no tee signs and no navigational signs. You have to have a guide the first time playing here or you will get frustrated.
Other Thoughts: With arrows pointing to the next tee and some decent tee signs this would have been a 5 star course.

Course had to sacrifice some beginner friendliness to create a more challenging course suitable for tournaments.

Porto-potty at hole 1.

Baker and Ellison are great, but I think Parma may have surpassed them as Rochester's best course!

Great Course Just got Better

5+    5/31/2010   6/2/2010
Review By: movieguy84
Pros: The new concrete tee pads are nice they are all a good length too. The course still has a great mix of elevation. They took out three of my least fav. holes where you play three in a row with the woods to your left. Those are gone and they replaced them with holes that are more thought out and use the terrain to their advantage.
Cons: The bugs can get a lot much! Im also sure that the entire course is made out of prickers. The last thing is this course is now highly challenging witch can make it highly addictive. Since it opened two weeks ago i've played it almost every day.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that has just gotten better. I know if you have read my last review of this course i still gave it a 4.5 i think i was misstaken. This new version of parma or NP as i now like to call it, has showed me what a 4.5 should be.