Everett, WA
Silver Lake Excalibur DGC Share
Uploaded By: sillybizz Hole #3 (Taken 12/2010)

Short with great lake views

2-4    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Lots of parking, great place for a picnic with the family and maybe catch a few fish. So a great family day outing in a busy area of Seattle metro.
Holes are laid out to make the short course a sleeper...if you play for 18 that's twice around you can get lulled into making a few mistakes. This makes the course a nice fun time. I like it to a white ball executive course. Need to play after work to get out the stress of the day, this course will work.
Cons: Because of the type of course it is the biggest con I saw/felt was people walking through the course on trails...hole #4 just as I was about to let my drive go a woman walked around the fence by the old skating building and into my brain. On hole #9 if you over throw you could hit someone fishing down by the lake. But these are really minor. the parks department could mow it or maybe not...tall grass/weeds sometimes add to the challenge.
Other Thoughts: When in the area the course is a pleasant break. Park at the east end of the lot then walk east from parking into the park a couple of blocks.

A good course for what it is

5+    12/9/2013   12/9/2013
Review By: b-mart
Pros: This course is within walking distance of my house, so that's the biggest pro. Because of that, I've played literally hundreds of rounds here. So when I move away, I'll still stop here for the memories when I visit town. Not sure why I waited this long to review the place. I have to review this thing objectively though, so here goes:

The land available is used pretty well. While there aren't really any tight lines, they do utilize every tree on the course in some way or another and the hill is used pretty creatively as well.

The baskets are still in "brand new" condition, and the teepads are pretty solid (for not being concrete).

Navigation is phenomenal. I had to ask someone where hole 1 was the first time, but after that it was a breeze. Every teepad is pretty close to the preceding basket without being in a dangerous position. Hole 1 is the one right on the beach. Also notice that the hole 6 teepad is relatively close to the one for hole 5, so don't get turned around after you hole out on 5. Just walk back across the fairway to the other teepad by the fence.

This is a good "tweener" course. I have friends who have only played pitch and putts and are afraid to throw anything "longer", but they can still enjoy this course. The longest hole is only about 330', and most of the rest of them are birdie-able for am-level golfers. This can be viewed as a con too, but if you're trying to ease someone into the game instead of taking them to Terrace or SeaTac, it's a great course for that.

It's also a good course to work on your line shaping. I view it as something in between, say, Juel and Blyth. What I mean is that you can work on shaping lines with actual obstacles (unlike Juel) without worrying too much about your disc disappearing off into the woods if you hit said obstacle. While my drives haven't improved much from my time here, my approaches are downright deadly because even the worst drive leaves a reasonable approach shot.

There's almost zero potential for lost discs here unless you screw up royally and fire a disc into the lake, but I have found quite a few that people have just walked away from.

Other park amenities are nice as well, with a playground, swimming area, restrooms, and an outdoor ping pong table.
Cons: This course gets very crowded in the summer. I won't play here after work in the summer because there will be an average of 7 groups playing the course. Being that it's an easy and relatively open course, all of these groups are rec players who have no concept of the idea of "playing through". Even if you do run into a group who will let you play through, you'll just be waiting behind another group on the next teepad. That's why I hit Terrace on summer afternoons. Even if it's crowded with rec players on the early holes, they always quit before the back 9.

Also note that there are a lot of other park users who don't notice the "You are entering a disc golf course. Watch for flying discs" signs. Be aware of them, and if they're picnicking beside the 9 basket (as they're prone to do), skip the hole. There's plenty of opportunity for safari golf here, so I'm sure you can find a way to make it up somewhere else.

I'll step down from my soapbox now, but I still have more cons.

Teepad 1 is a con. It's right on the beach, so it's covered in sand. Rubber mats + sand = a very slippery surface. I've actually gotten really good at releasing a disc accurately while slipping, but it isn't a skill that I want to have...

Every hole on the course has asphalt in play at some point. Some people list this as OB to keep things interesting, but regardless of whether it costs you a stroke or not it does eat up your discs pretty quickly.

I do wish that there was a hole that was a cross between hole 7 and hole 8. I like the long shot along the side of the hill idea, but it would be fun to just air one out with the basket slightly downhill and to the left. 7 and 8 are great holes though, and usually the ones that will cost you a stroke if you don't hit them right.
Other Thoughts: There have been rumors for years of a back 9 being added across the street, but I don't see that happening. There are a few interesting lines in the woods over there, but it's too short and tight to be worth putting time into.

I obviously enjoy this course due to its proximity and the memories that I have there, but there just isn't much here to make it worth the drive. If you're passing through on I-5? By all means, stop by. It's a quick 9 that will still test you a little bit and that uses the land creatively. But it won't help you improve your overall game that much either, and that's the biggest thing that I look for in a course. Perfect example: I used to play Terrace all the time, and when I visited other courses my scores would reflect the practice. Then I played Silver all the time, but my game went in the opposite direction.

So let's just call Silver Lake what it is: A reasonably enjoyable niner with creative use of land and elevation that's a great place to get a quick round in, but not much else for the serious player.

Great beginner course

2-4    10/9/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: Phlick
Pros: Bathrooms on site
Great (new) baskets
Rubber tee pads
Short 'n Sweet
Cons: Only 9 baskets
Other Thoughts: Great beginner/warm up course. Easy to navigate once you find the first tee - 1 is down by the beach on the south side of the bathrooms/showers. As others have said this course is in a busy park, and not all users are familiar with disc golf, so you might encounter people picnicing on the fairways or by a basket, but otherwise it's a great little course to tune your short game or to initiate new players to the game without discouraging them.

Just a fun 9er

2-4    9/1/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Highball
Pros: The course played well. We had printed off a map before making the drive here but it turned out that there was no need to even look at it. When you finished a hole the next tee pad was right there for you and it was not hard to spot the basket for that pad. Easy walking and in a nice park. The pads were a nice large rubber mats.
Cons: There was a walking path going through the course and we did have to stop and sit for people on the walk path to clear.
Other Thoughts: Over all I gave this a 3.5 because of how easy it was to find our way around and that it was a fun course to play. No it was not a difficult one to play and it is more for that player who wants to scratch that itch to play a quick round but there was enough to make you work and think on each shot with no big fear of loosing a disc. As there are a lot of DG courses on the west side that have an absolute ton of growth going nuts everywhere that can eat a disc fast it was great to find one that was cleared out of all of that stuff and just the big trees were the things in the way with great walking. There is a number of holes that have elevation changes to deal with. Yet more to the fun factor! The entire course was well kept and clean. This is a GREAT course to take a person who is learning the game!!!

There was only 1 hole that was one that was a head scratcher. Hole #7. You throw along a ridge/hill line. The lake is down to your left and the hill slopes upward to your right. There is a clearing 1/2 to 3/4 to the basket. Now there is a light cross wind that comes off the lake up the hill and likes to give your disc a ride to funny land. My first throw was "What the heck!?!?" So I pitched a different disc and the same thing hit me. The wind did not feel like anything big but so it was a slick sneak attack from mother nature! A local told me that he has had to deal with that many times so I'm not feeling too bad about falling into the trap. I'm sure that if I play this hole a few times I'll figure it out....

Great Rec/Noobie Course

2-4    4/5/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: Udon
Pros: Great location and easy to find.
Bathrooms on site.
Fly pads are great in the rain; no slipping or poor footing at all.
Hills and trees are used well, although a bit lacking in any serious obstacles.
Very straight forward. Some may see this as too simple and, thus, a con, but as a beginner it is a very big pro.
Each tee is easy to find and navigating is simple and intuitive.
Huge possibilities for a safari back 9.
Using pathways as OB increase the difficulty and add a few semi-island holes, particularly holes 5 & 6.
Locals are friendly.
Cons: The downside to having a DGC next to a popular park is the amount of people there on nice, sunny days. There are trails that lead out/into the park that cut through many of the fairways. Although the paths make for challenging OB rules, people are often walking through oblivious of flying discs. Not a huge con, but definitely something to consider.

Other Thoughts: I love the possibilities of a safari back 9. Some people like a more straightforward 18 hole course, but with the limited space one must get creative. This is a really nice course for beginners and recreational players; more advanced players might see this as a warm-up round.

1    12/21/2012   12/22/2012
Review By: Ranger Rick
Pros: Beautiful setting.
Nice park w/ playground for the kiddies.
The official nine holes plays intuitively with no hunting around for the next tee box.
Excellent use of elevation.
Baskets are in good order, and the ground cover was minimal - hard to lose a disc this time of year..
Cons: There was very little to not like here, except for maybe the course map posted here, that looks like a photo copy of a photo copy. Other than that, I didn't find anything that I didn't like.
Other Thoughts: Got off work early, so decided to come down and check this place out. As I was teeing up, I met a nice fellow named Jim, who is a course regular, and he offered to show me around and give me some tips.
We had a nice round, and Jim was very knowledgeable about how the course plays, to include the unofficial back nine.
The weather was nice, but the ground was a little soggy in spots, but I can't call that a con because this is the Pacific Northwest after all.
I would have had a good time playing here by myself, but with Jim as a guide, I really enjoyed myself, and was able to get a much better understanding of the course, had I played it alone.
The tree canopy, and the elevation changes added to the difficulty, but not so difficult, that I felt discouraged to come back - just the opposite. I will definitely be back to play again. This was one of my favorite course to play so far!

Great course for beginners and stroller-pushers

1    8/8/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: With a nice first-hand view of the lake, this course made good use of the elevation, as the 9 holes basically all (except for #9) travel perpendicular to the slope of the hillside. Unlike Terrace Creek or SeaTac, it would be hard to lose a disc on this course, as there is minimal brush.

For parents of little ones, there are paved paths everywhere, which make it easy to push a stroller. If your kid is older and independent enough, you could conceivably let them play at the playground nearby while you watched over them throughout your round, as most of the holes are close enough to the playground, if you felt comfortable leaving your child like that.

I did like how a couple of the baskets were on/near ledges, which offers some roll-away potential. The tee pads were great.
Cons: There weren't many trees, so it would have been cool I think to have the pins positioned more closely to them to up the difficulty level. For a course with this little in the way of obstacles, I think the holes should have been longer (most of the holes were under 300ft). I got 9 pars, which is rare for me, considering I didn't get lucky. Basically, you have to have a bad approach shot on any hole to make a bogey.

Also, being picking, it would have been nice to have better signage, as each tee basically had a 4"x4"x5' sticking out the ground with some writing in permanent marker giving the distance. It's better than nothing, though.
Other Thoughts: I brought a friend of mine who has only played two rounds prior, one of which was at Terrace Creek, which gave him an awful experience. Silver Lake, however, was great for him, as he got 3 pars and really felt positive about the sport. This course is a great place to take someone new to the sport or play with your family. Perhaps a safari layout could increase the difficulty.

Also, we saw a parks maintenance guy playing the course (in uniform!) and using his truck like a golf cart. I thought that was cool. Wish I could play on my job!

Short and fun

1    12/4/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: Joey Pauley
Pros: - The designer of the course did a wonderful job using the space provided.
- Lots of up and down hills
- Close to highway
Cons: - Only 9 holes
- The holes are very short in length. Lots of ace holes.
- There were some people walking through the park unaware of disc golf.
- Hole #2 was a bit wet
Other Thoughts: Great short course not too far from the highway. I would not travel far to go here but if you are in passing and want to get out for a quick half round this is the place for you.

- The directions on this site was a bit confusing.
- Watch hole #5 your disc can travel down to the volleyball courts below.
- Hole #7 drives close to the tee pad of hole #8

Easy Fun

5+    9/2/2011   10/27/2011
Review By: Cinque
Pros: Disc golf courses have vibes and vibes can change depending on the day and time. I've played this course more than a few times now and I've changed it up by arriving at different times on different days. The vibe remained consistent.

Silver Lake disc golf course is a peaceful and fun nine-hole spread with a spectacular view of the lake and big beautiful trees towering over head. Each hole is equipped with exceptional Flypads and shiny DGA Mach III baskets.

The layout is extremely easy to navigate and the footage of each hole doesn't exceed 325 ft. (99 m). Since the holes are short this is a great course for beginners, or folks that simply want to practice their short game. This is also a great course to practice running putters.

I believe the designer did everything right with the land that was available. As a father that likes to drag his child out to the course in a stroller, Silver Lake is perfect due to the pathway that snakes its way around the course. I'm not forced to subject my daughter to the bumpy fairway and slight elevation on some holes.

The park as a whole is beautiful with easy access to bathrooms and trash cans. There is also an abundance of parking.
Cons: I knew going into this "course review" part of my life I would have a hard time with the cons section, because I'm extremely easy to please. If there are baskets (or targets) and tee pads I'm usually happy.

The only aspects of a course that strike up the opinionated side of me are litter and dubious people. Silver Lake has always been clean and the people have always been nice to me.

After forcing myself to think of something constructive I remembered that I like easy courses to have multiple basket positions. The basket positions at Silver Lake are fixed, but I bet I would go back more often if I knew the positions would be different.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you play this course with all the pathways OB. That makes for a more interesting round and creates a sort of island hole on number five. Also, I've heard (or read, I can't remember) that the course may be extended to 18 holes by using the land across the street. I'm for it! I'll even volunteer time to help make it happen.

Whew! First course review logged.

Fun for All

2-4    8/15/2011   8/16/2011
Review By: puttputt
Pros: This is a great course to take beginners and youngsters (probably a con for some). The course plays by a beautiful lake with great food/restroom accommodations. The park official in charge of maintenance is a great guy. He told us the layout, and was working on creating paths to the next tee pads. This course will not require a driver, but does offer a few skill shots.
Cons: For what it is, it is a great course. Yeah, 18 hole courses are nice, but so are cities that decide to turn abandoned land, filled with trash, into a fun course!