Everett, WA
Silver Lake Excalibur DGC Share
Uploaded By: sillybizz   (Taken 12/2010)
Hole #1 & #2 Tees

Short with great lake views

2-4    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Lots of parking, great place for a picnic with the family and maybe catch a few fish. So a great family day outing in a busy area of Seattle metro.
Holes are laid out to make the short course a sleeper...if you play for 18 that's twice around you can get lulled into making a few mistakes. This makes the course a nice fun time. I like it to a white ball executive course. Need to play after work to get out the stress of the day, this course will work.
Cons: Because of the type of course it is the biggest con I saw/felt was people walking through the course on trails...hole #4 just as I was about to let my drive go a woman walked around the fence by the old skating building and into my brain. On hole #9 if you over throw you could hit someone fishing down by the lake. But these are really minor. the parks department could mow it or maybe not...tall grass/weeds sometimes add to the challenge.
Other Thoughts: When in the area the course is a pleasant break. Park at the east end of the lot then walk east from parking into the park a couple of blocks.

A good course for what it is

5+    12/9/2013   12/9/2013
Review By: b-mart
Pros: This course is within walking distance of my house, so that's the biggest pro. Because of that, I've played literally hundreds of rounds here. So when I move away, I'll still stop here for the memories when I visit town. Not sure why I waited this long to review the place. I have to review this thing objectively though, so here goes:

The land available is used pretty well. While there aren't really any tight lines, they do utilize every tree on the course in some way or another and the hill is used pretty creatively as well.

The baskets are still in "brand new" condition, and the teepads are pretty solid (for not being concrete).

Navigation is phenomenal. I had to ask someone where hole 1 was the first time, but after that it was a breeze. Every teepad is pretty close to the preceding basket without being in a dangerous position. Hole 1 is the one right on the beach. Also notice that the hole 6 teepad is relatively close to the one for hole 5, so don't get turned around after you hole out on 5. Just walk back across the fairway to the other teepad by the fence.

This is a good "tweener" course. I have friends who have only played pitch and putts and are afraid to throw anything "longer", but they can still enjoy this course. The longest hole is only about 330', and most of the rest of them are birdie-able for am-level golfers. This can be viewed as a con too, but if you're trying to ease someone into the game instead of taking them to Terrace or SeaTac, it's a great course for that.

It's also a good course to work on your line shaping. I view it as something in between, say, Juel and Blyth. What I mean is that you can work on shaping lines with actual obstacles (unlike Juel) without worrying too much about your disc disappearing off into the woods if you hit said obstacle. While my drives haven't improved much from my time here, my approaches are downright deadly because even the worst drive leaves a reasonable approach shot.

There's almost zero potential for lost discs here unless you screw up royally and fire a disc into the lake, but I have found quite a few that people have just walked away from.

Other park amenities are nice as well, with a playground, swimming area, restrooms, and an outdoor ping pong table.
Cons: This course gets very crowded in the summer. I won't play here after work in the summer because there will be an average of 7 groups playing the course. Being that it's an easy and relatively open course, all of these groups are rec players who have no concept of the idea of "playing through". Even if you do run into a group who will let you play through, you'll just be waiting behind another group on the next teepad. That's why I hit Terrace on summer afternoons. Even if it's crowded with rec players on the early holes, they always quit before the back 9.

Also note that there are a lot of other park users who don't notice the "You are entering a disc golf course. Watch for flying discs" signs. Be aware of them, and if they're picnicking beside the 9 basket (as they're prone to do), skip the hole. There's plenty of opportunity for safari golf here, so I'm sure you can find a way to make it up somewhere else.

I'll step down from my soapbox now, but I still have more cons.

Teepad 1 is a con. It's right on the beach, so it's covered in sand. Rubber mats + sand = a very slippery surface. I've actually gotten really good at releasing a disc accurately while slipping, but it isn't a skill that I want to have...

Every hole on the course has asphalt in play at some point. Some people list this as OB to keep things interesting, but regardless of whether it costs you a stroke or not it does eat up your discs pretty quickly.

I do wish that there was a hole that was a cross between hole 7 and hole 8. I like the long shot along the side of the hill idea, but it would be fun to just air one out with the basket slightly downhill and to the left. 7 and 8 are great holes though, and usually the ones that will cost you a stroke if you don't hit them right.
Other Thoughts: There have been rumors for years of a back 9 being added across the street, but I don't see that happening. There are a few interesting lines in the woods over there, but it's too short and tight to be worth putting time into.

I obviously enjoy this course due to its proximity and the memories that I have there, but there just isn't much here to make it worth the drive. If you're passing through on I-5? By all means, stop by. It's a quick 9 that will still test you a little bit and that uses the land creatively. But it won't help you improve your overall game that much either, and that's the biggest thing that I look for in a course. Perfect example: I used to play Terrace all the time, and when I visited other courses my scores would reflect the practice. Then I played Silver all the time, but my game went in the opposite direction.

So let's just call Silver Lake what it is: A reasonably enjoyable niner with creative use of land and elevation that's a great place to get a quick round in, but not much else for the serious player.

Great beginner course

2-4    10/9/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: Phlick
Pros: Bathrooms on site
Great (new) baskets
Rubber tee pads
Short 'n Sweet
Cons: Only 9 baskets
Other Thoughts: Great beginner/warm up course. Easy to navigate once you find the first tee - 1 is down by the beach on the south side of the bathrooms/showers. As others have said this course is in a busy park, and not all users are familiar with disc golf, so you might encounter people picnicing on the fairways or by a basket, but otherwise it's a great little course to tune your short game or to initiate new players to the game without discouraging them.

Great course for beginners and stroller-pushers

1    8/8/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: With a nice first-hand view of the lake, this course made good use of the elevation, as the 9 holes basically all (except for #9) travel perpendicular to the slope of the hillside. Unlike Terrace Creek or SeaTac, it would be hard to lose a disc on this course, as there is minimal brush.

For parents of little ones, there are paved paths everywhere, which make it easy to push a stroller. If your kid is older and independent enough, you could conceivably let them play at the playground nearby while you watched over them throughout your round, as most of the holes are close enough to the playground, if you felt comfortable leaving your child like that.

I did like how a couple of the baskets were on/near ledges, which offers some roll-away potential. The tee pads were great.
Cons: There weren't many trees, so it would have been cool I think to have the pins positioned more closely to them to up the difficulty level. For a course with this little in the way of obstacles, I think the holes should have been longer (most of the holes were under 300ft). I got 9 pars, which is rare for me, considering I didn't get lucky. Basically, you have to have a bad approach shot on any hole to make a bogey.

Also, being picking, it would have been nice to have better signage, as each tee basically had a 4"x4"x5' sticking out the ground with some writing in permanent marker giving the distance. It's better than nothing, though.
Other Thoughts: I brought a friend of mine who has only played two rounds prior, one of which was at Terrace Creek, which gave him an awful experience. Silver Lake, however, was great for him, as he got 3 pars and really felt positive about the sport. This course is a great place to take someone new to the sport or play with your family. Perhaps a safari layout could increase the difficulty.

Also, we saw a parks maintenance guy playing the course (in uniform!) and using his truck like a golf cart. I thought that was cool. Wish I could play on my job!

Easy Fun

5+    9/2/2011   10/27/2011
Review By: Cinque
Pros: Disc golf courses have vibes and vibes can change depending on the day and time. I've played this course more than a few times now and I've changed it up by arriving at different times on different days. The vibe remained consistent.

Silver Lake disc golf course is a peaceful and fun nine-hole spread with a spectacular view of the lake and big beautiful trees towering over head. Each hole is equipped with exceptional Flypads and shiny DGA Mach III baskets.

The layout is extremely easy to navigate and the footage of each hole doesn't exceed 325 ft. (99 m). Since the holes are short this is a great course for beginners, or folks that simply want to practice their short game. This is also a great course to practice running putters.

I believe the designer did everything right with the land that was available. As a father that likes to drag his child out to the course in a stroller, Silver Lake is perfect due to the pathway that snakes its way around the course. I'm not forced to subject my daughter to the bumpy fairway and slight elevation on some holes.

The park as a whole is beautiful with easy access to bathrooms and trash cans. There is also an abundance of parking.
Cons: I knew going into this "course review" part of my life I would have a hard time with the cons section, because I'm extremely easy to please. If there are baskets (or targets) and tee pads I'm usually happy.

The only aspects of a course that strike up the opinionated side of me are litter and dubious people. Silver Lake has always been clean and the people have always been nice to me.

After forcing myself to think of something constructive I remembered that I like easy courses to have multiple basket positions. The basket positions at Silver Lake are fixed, but I bet I would go back more often if I knew the positions would be different.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you play this course with all the pathways OB. That makes for a more interesting round and creates a sort of island hole on number five. Also, I've heard (or read, I can't remember) that the course may be extended to 18 holes by using the land across the street. I'm for it! I'll even volunteer time to help make it happen.

Whew! First course review logged.

Good Quick Course

2-4    7/31/2011   8/8/2011
Review By: Clempson13
Pros: - Easy to follow layout
- Well maintained course
- Great for beginners or anyone looking to work on their putt/approach
- good amount of elevation change in a few holes, (especially in the locally know back 9).
Cons: - Short holes
- Only 9 holes, (unless a local shoes you the hidden back 9).
Other Thoughts: At first I though this course was a zero based on the simplicity and ease of each hole. After playing it a few times though I can say that its really nice to play a course that is easy to follow and easy to go out with a few friends a play several rounds real quick for fun. If you can find someone to show you the "back 9" its actually a really fun course and challenging. If I was rating including those holes it would bump it up a tleast a point.

Set In A Beautiful But Busy Park!

1    6/12/2010   6/14/2010
This review was updated on 10/25/2013
Pros: The two previous reviewers have both written eloquent, informative reviews. The course plays from the shore of Silver Lake up to the street. This is a fairly smallish piece of land but the view of Silver Lake and then the North Cacades snow capped foothills off in the distance make this one of the prettiest spots for a course anywhere. Being a brand new course, the DGA baskets with numbers on top are in like new condition. The teepads are fly pads which are great here in the NW. The course plays at kind of a recreational to beginner level. There are signs at each hole. Slight elevation comes into play on many of the holes.
Cons: Because this is such a multi-use park and gets so much use, there are going to be conflicts which other park users. The day I played there was a outrigger canoe festival of some kind. Holes 1 and 9 were not playable due to cars parked on and around them. I didn't want to risk hitting some giant Hawaiian's rowers car and have him throw me in the lake. I know there aren't always going to be canoe races going on but I'm fairly certain that this lovely little park by the lake is always packed on summer days and holidays. Many of your throws cross over one of the park's entry roads so be extra careful there. The area around the # 2 basket was extremely marshy but we have had, like a 1000 days straight with rain.
Other Thoughts: Did I talk about the gorgeous setting? OK, enough on that. If there is room across the street, I could see maybe having the first seven holes on the lake side and finishing up with the last 11 on the other side. The hole # 1 teepad will be parked on most of the summer.

This is a nice addition for the folks around Everett. Hopefully, the additional holes will be added soon and a minor re-configuration will help things.

Silver Lake is pretty!!!

5+    10/21/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 10/23/2010
Pros: The Excalibur course is the newest disc golf course in Washington and the first in Everett. The first thing you will notice is that the tee pad for hole one is very close to the shore and actually on the beach front of Silver Lake. This is actually the first course that I am aware of that followed ADA guidelines so that every tee pad is wheelchair accessible. Navigation is easy and was thought of in the planning so that every tee pad is visible from the previous basket. Speaking of the baskets; they are all brand new DGA Mach III's with the circle on the top of them with the hole number built in. The tee pads are all brand new fly pads which I just got done playing in a classic Seattle downpour and they still grip even when flooded with water.

With the length and difficulty of this course I would say it benefits intermediate players on down to beginners. Every hole is in the 150-250 foot range and moderately treed with good elevation that was used extremely well on holes three through nine. This is the perfect place to learn a new mid range or putter with a one disc round and be able to be challenged with many different shots.
Cons: This is a great little piece of land and a well looked after park which is nice but this place gets busy when it's nice outside with non disc golfers because of this. Some of the baskets and tee pads are close to others fairways and such so with many groups on the course this could be a problem and slow down play quite a bit. Walking from the previous basket to the next tee pad is walking into other fairways sometimes so you have to watch out for that as well.
Other Thoughts: The beauty of this place is wonderful on a sunny summer day. This was just installed and there is talk of expanding to 18 holes using the other side of the street which would be a more wooded area and would round out this side that is more open. There other things this park offers is fishing in the lake, swimming in the lake, bathrooms, play ground equipment, floating docks and more.

Silver Lake-Excalibur DGC

5+    5/23/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 6/2/2010
Pros:
Silver Lake-Excalibur DGC is located in Thornton A. Sullivan Park, in Everett, Wa. This beautiful nine hole course is just minutes off the freeway and easily accessible from both north and south of I-5. When pulling up to the massive gravel parking lot, it appears to look more like a park and ride, and the park sign can easily be missed so be on the lookout. However, once you enter the park just head along the cement walking path, which meanders throughout the entire park, and stay to the right. As you follow along the path through a very well manicured park you will pass several amenities, including bathrooms, picnic tables, BBQ's, a beach and swim area, and a large playground. Tee one is located along the lake just on the other side of the play area.

The course itself was installed in May 2010, and therefore is in great shape! The nine permanent DGA baskets are all brand new, with four additional temporary ones for tournament play. The tees are all fly pads, which grip extremely well and are ideal for northwest weather. They are also great since they can be relocated at any time in case the layout needs to be reconfigured. Tee signs are located at every hole, and are easily visible throughout the course. Hole distance ranges anywhere from 125-275 feet, and are all currently par 3. The design of each hole is unique, and offers multiple approaches. Most pins are well protected, and most of the obstacles are incorporated to add to the challenge.

Navigation on the course is quite easy, but first timers would still benefit from printing off a map under file links, as well as a park map. Since the course is fairly short and tee signs are located near every tee, there should be no issues getting lost. The flow to the course was well thought out as well. The designer spent a lot of time carefully planning the layout and therefore has players beginning and ending in the same general vicinity. The designer also did a fantastic job utilizing the land given as well as the elevation. With the exception of holes # 1 and 2, the rest of the holes incorporate some sort of uphill or downhill shot. The wind is also a major factor at times, which is great! Because of this, the overall difficulty of the course increases, making putts that much more challenging.

Last, the scenery. Thornton A. Sullivan Park, or locally known as "Silver Lake", is extremely well manicured. There is little evidence of trash, grass is mowed regularly, and the trees and plants are well kept. Because of this, the course has no underbrush! The views of Silver Lake absolutely beautiful as well, and is the perfect place to take a quick dip during those hot summer days.
Cons:
Because the course was planned out so well there is not a whole lot wrong. However, some of the biggest issues I could think of really had nothing to do with the design but rather where the course was designated in the park. Hole #1 is about a quarter mile from the parking lot, and has players walking through the rest of the park where the majority of people gather. It is not a huge deal, just a bit of an inconvenience.

Length of the course might be an issue to some as well. Although most of the holes could be reached with a mid or putter, each hole is still challenging and quite enjoyable. The designer who installed this little gem was given very specific requirements, and truly did a marvelous job with what he had to work with. It is the perfect course to get recreational and intermediate players out on, as well as a place to work on upshots and putts if you're an advanced or open player.

Last, tee pad #8 is pretty close to pins #3 and #7, which could be somewhat dangerous at times if the course is crowded. Just make sure you are on the lookout and all will be fine.
There is talk of eventually making Silver Lake-Excalibur DGC 18 holes. They want to eventually expand to across the street, which would have players throwing near the freeway. With careful planning, it would be more technical, and a great additional to the more open nine near the lake.

This course was the very first course that I have had the privilege to be apart of in regards to the installation. It truly made me feel good to give back to the disc golf community considering all that disc golf has given me. There were a ton of volunteers that helped put this in, including the designer, the Parks and Rec, locals, and Chainbanger'z DGC. We all came together with one purpose in mind, worked together, and installed a beautiful course! Afterwards, we were rewarded by the fruits of our labor by getting to play a few rounds on a brand new course. Even better, I was able to get the first ace on the course, hole #4! This course was a blast to install, and will always have a special place in my heart.