Pickerington, OH
Simsbury DGC Share
Uploaded By: crandellfamily Hole #4 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #4 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Solid

5+    6/24/2016   6/24/2016
Review By: Xelto
Pros: friendly locals, solid course with a variety of shots, and a good mix of open/tight. Grounds get good maintenance. Restrooms available. Multiple tees, and there's usually an actual difference in the challenge level of the tees, not just making the hole a few feet shorter on the easier tees.
Cons: Very hard to navigate successfully without a map or local assistance due to crossing paths and limited signage, as well as the occasional blind A/B pin placement that you have to guess at if you haven't played the course recently enough to know which position they're in.

There's a stretch of shots (holes 13-16, IIRC) that are very similar, and I personally find dull (I skip them most of the time.)

I found the occasional poison ivy patch, but they mostly seem under control. I've heard others complain about ticks, but haven't
Other Thoughts: There's always a certain challenge in reviewing a course that you consider decent, but not exceptional. The best thing I can say is that it's a solid course. You get a good mix of shots, and while there are few standout holes, there also aren't many holes that you want to forget, either. The stretch of shots I mentioned (13-16) I don't like for personal reasons, not because they're terrible holes (I'm not into long bomb shots. I don't mind distance shots being mixed up with finesse ones, but I prefer to not have a long stretch of them in a row.)

The most notable holes for me were 4 (a sideways-downhill finesse throw), 9 (an uphill throw with an interesting almost-dogleg), and 10 (back down the hill, fairly straight but with tree branches at points making it important to watch altitude).

Solid, fun course.

1    6/11/2016   6/13/2016
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Clean, exclusive course. Groomed and maintained. Good tee signs. Good course flow, great mix of hole types and challenges.
Cons: None to think of, besides perhaps any distinct or signature holes. The course veers a bit close to some residential areas for the final few holes, but there's plenty of distance between.
Other Thoughts: This is a tough course to review as I teamed up with some fellow players I met on hole 7. The conversations were good so I wasn't paying as much attention to the course. That said, the fact that the course never became an issue is a positive thing.

Never a dull hole, no impossibly difficult holes. Nothing to complain about at all. The course was also nothing remarkable, but that isn't a bad thing. A solid, well-planned course. I had to use all my techniques. I never felt burdened with ridiculously difficult holes, nor did I ever feel like I was going through the motions.

I even commented to the guys I was playing with that the course creeps up on you. It starts off a bit unremarkable, and I was about to pass premature judgement after hole 3. But once you get to hole 4, the course's true personality come alive. By the time we got to the end, I was commenting on how the course went from bland to being a solid, fun course and I never noticed it. I was too busy having fun playing.

I felt like this was a "classic" disc golf course. Nothing showy or particularly unique, but a solid, well-done course that should appeal to all skill levels. Nothing too frustrating for beginners, plenty of challenges to offer the amateur/casual player.

I've played most of the top-rated courses in the Columbis area, and I'd have to say I'd probably head back to Simsbury if I were in the area again and had to pick one course.

1    8/22/2015   8/22/2015
Review By: SaintAjora
Pros: Challenging, fun. awesome. Lots of shots are useful here. Great forehand shots and backhand.
Cons: Lost my discs :(. Tha'ts because I'm bad. Nothing bad honestly.
Other Thoughts: Course was amazing. Beautiful, challenging. wow. This was an awesome course to play. As a big newbie its nice to really see a course thats super challenging.

My favorite local course to play

5+    2/6/2015   2/6/2015
Review By: Sycamore8
Pros: - Challenging for all levels due to multiple tees and basket placements.

- Varying distances give you the chance to throw every disc in your bag.

- Very well kept and for the most part pedestrian free.

- You'll need to be able to throw different shots off the tees as there are tunnel shots, hard doglegs, and wide open tee shots.

- Several holes have drastic elevation changes. #3,4,9,10,17,&18

- There are some well guarded baskets that require accuracy from tee to green.

- Great shelter and bathrooms.
Cons: - Certain holes can get very muddy/soggy after rain or snow melt. Sometimes I end up skipping hole 2 and 18 as they can be very wet.

- I wish that the basket positions were changed more often and at the current date the listed positions are not accurate on all holes.

- Can be tricky to navigate for a first timer. The walk from #4 green to #5 tee isn't well marked and the walk from #16 green to #17 tee is strange, as it cuts through areas you've already walked through.

Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course to play and it's just minutes from my house.

My Favorite in the Columbus Area

1    10/3/2014   11/26/2014
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Simsbury DGC offers a great disc golf experience and is clearly loved and cared for by many. I usually don't put too much stock into the amenities of a course, but I was impressed with all that Simsbury has to offer. There are long and short concrete tees, both of which are very large and comfortable. The tees do a nice job of changing shots on multiple holes and increasing the distances. The Mach 3 baskets are in great shape, are easy to spot, and have 2-3 pin positions which also do a nice job of changing the look of the hole. Plenty of parking, trash cans, and a porta-potty.

The course was in great shape when I played with the fairways freshly mowed and the rough not nearly as bad as portrayed in other reviews. I appreciated how the section of the park that the course plays through is completely devoted to disc golf. While it has a typical town park feel, there is no disruption from other park goers.

What impressed me the most about this course was how well designed it is with the land given. Central Ohio doesn't provide much for elevation or interesting settings, but the designers did a great job using the elevation given and playing through the many trees to provide shot selection on most holes. There actually are some steeply elevated shots with holes 9, 17, and 18 being uphill and 3 and 10 downhill shots. Holes 4 and 5 have slightly elevated greens and 5 also has an elevated tee pad. Holes 4 and 10 were the highlights for me, with 4 being somewhat of a ravine shot to a blind basket and having a tight approach. Hole 10 is a fun downhill ace run.

I liked the balance of challenge that the course provides, as it offered many different kinds of technical shots while not being too punishing if you don't hit your line. The white tees offer a good challenge for beginning/average players, while the blue tees offer a good challenge for higher level players to achieve par.

Navigation is very intuitive with some of the best signage I've seen and the course loops right back to the parking lot after hole 18.
Cons: While there are many technical holes on this course, there are a few let-downs. Hole 8, for instance, is basically wide open only with a few bushes to contend with. Some of the later holes are also pretty straight-forward.

The separate tees do a nice job of offering different distances, but the hole distances throughout this course are generally pretty similar.

The rough was not that bad while I played, but I could see it being a problem in the late spring/early summer.

Not a real big deal, but some fairways are close together and you have to do some backtracking through or near other fairways.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round at Simsbury, and will return the next time I'm in the area. It's my favorite in the Columbus area, and I was pleasantly surprised about its technicality given the setting it is in. It's always good too when a course is clearly a high priority of the park. If you're coming to Columbus, make this course a top priority.

quality disc golf

5+    9/3/2013   10/3/2013
Review By: in the biscut
Pros: Concrete long and short tees
Need all your drives left,right,up and down
I shoot about 58-64 from the longs so its a hard course in my opinion. I'm not out to duece every hole.
I prefer feeling rewarded with a 3 on holes 4,13,14,17 and 18 it takes 3 perfect shots.There are two or three pin locations on every hole which complety change the shot and your score. Extra strokes are certain when they are in hard positions.Hole 17 has an elevated tee pad which is part of what ends up being a 1 of a kind hole.
Holes 9 and 10 are also not run of the mill with huge elevation change for the Ohio valley area.
Not usually crowded
Mostly wooded. I mean real fairways in the woods. Not just a basket somewhere in the jungle with trees growing all willy nilly.
Cons: Swampy terrain on lower holes. Only really bad on hole 2 and 4 after rain.
Other Thoughts: Some people call this the disc eater. After approx 50 rounds from the long tees some of those solo rounds I've lost only 1 disc. I feel like the maintenance is pretty good. It does not have a course full of overgrown 5 foot tall rough.
Over all this is about as good as it gets in central Ohio.
I don't pick favourites between Brent hambrick, players dgc and simsbury.

Non-local,t ournament experience

1    8/24/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: Overall Score (4.4)

Tee pads (4/5): Level, concrete, and a long & short for every hole. Only reason they're not a 5 is because they could be bigger and smoother. I know I'm being a stickler here, but I make up for it in other areas of the review.

Baskets (4/5): Standard Mach 3's. Numbered, not colored. They caught fine for me, but I witnessed a couple spit outs during the tournament.

Layout/Design (4/5): There has recently been a ton of hard work put into the course and its in top condition. The rough, which was well trimmed and easy to browse through, appeared as if it is probably hellish on a normal basis. I haven't seen this course at any time other than this, and it is in pristine condition. The layout loops perfectly from hole #1 (parking lot) to hole #18 (parking lot)... doesn't get any better. And the entire design of the course was superb in my book. Dare I say, the designer made perfect use of the land he was given? While I'll admit that there were no eye-popping, jaw-dropping, remember-til-I-die holes here - the MAJORITY of holes here were exciting, unique, and extremely fun, to say the least. The course makes very good use of "Next Tee" signage.

Scenery/Surroundings (5/5): I'll start by saying there seems to be a pro shop nearby, and although I never saw it, I'm accounting for it.
The people that I played with in the tourney were all very nice. The surrounding neighborhood is incredibly nice, and you have tons of food options within just a couple miles. The rough was well-trimmed, grass mowed everywhere. Multiple trash cans and benches throughout the course. My girlfriend and the players on her card came really close to a deer during the tourney... that's always cool.

Likeliness to Return (5/5): I had a blast on almost every hole, even though I felt that I played terrible! You know that's a good sign.
Other Thoughts: I played this course for my first and only time during the Pickerington Classic, and it was a pleasure.

Very good in almost every way!

5+    6/16/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: RollingStone
Pros: All basic amenities present.

Solid disc shop nearby (this is a HUGE plus to me)!

FUN course that has the best elevation changes of any Columbus course I have gotten to play

This is an exclusively disc golf area, and gets less play than many other Columbus courses, so it's not as crowded as Griggs, Hambrick, Blendon, or just about any other course I played while staying in Columbus.

Lots of "next tee" signs were very helpful.

4 and 10 are unique holes that are worth the drive from my hotel in Westerville.
Cons: The brush is a little thick in places. Not thick enough I lost a disc, but thick.

Getting hassled by the Pickerington Police wasn't cool. I was driving a nice, late model (rental) car, dressed in nice jeans and a polo shirt, am clean cut and am on the wrong side of 40. An officer still asked to inspect my bag based on watching me light up a cigar. As if I'm going to trash a $20 stick by putting pot in it! I allowed the search as I had nothing to hide, but it was a little annoying to be stereotyped as a druggie because I like to throw "frisbees".
Other Thoughts: Despite my run-in with the Pickerington PD on my first visit to this course, I came back and played multiple rounds here on 3 other occasions. In their defense I suppose it may have seemed odd to see an adult playing disc golf in the middle of a work day, but my job allows me that kind of freedom, so don't make assumptions fellas!

Regardless, Simsbury is a phenomenal course, and you Buckeyes need to get yourselves out here to play it. It seemed like most of the people I talked to at other courses either hadn't heard about it or were "meaning to get out there". Don't wait, go now. It's the best course within an hour's drive of Columbus

The rough is thick, but not as bad as some of the people below me are claiming. I didn't loose a single disc, and played solo most of the time. However, I will admit that I played more conservatively than usual the first couple times out because I could see how thick the rough was. Tossing a mid twice and putting for par treated me will on most of the wooded holes. If you can't control it, don't throw it and you won't lose it! Simple! And if you do toss a bad shot, watch it all the way. Like I said, I didn't loose a disc in 7 rounds here.

I did find several discs poking around in the woods after my own disc. Only a couple had numbers (one of which was disconnected), and no-one picked up the phone when I called. First, put your number on a disc you want back. Second, I was probably the call you got from a blocked number, my cell phone is paid for by my company, and I don't want my number out there, sorry. If you got such a call, or have lost a blank disc, I may have left your disc near where I found it, but closer to the edge of the rough. Look again when you go to play. I have a limited number of discs I can transport (lots of air travel for business), so I don't pick any up on the course unless it's to return them.

This course is absolutely wonderful, and I probably would have rated it higher to reflect that it's the best in Columbus if I hadn't driven to Cincinnati to play Mt Airy and Idlewild. However, after playing those two courses, I just can't go higher than 4 stars. Still, this course is the best in Columbus by a wide margin.

Flexible layout

2-4    6/15/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Simsbury DGC in Pickerington, OH is easily accessible, has multiple tees and pin placements on nearly every hole, uses the elevations available creatively (and in a very fun way!), and the park is dedicated almost exclusively to disc golf, so this course is a must play in the Columbus region. It will challenge Rec players from the shorts and be a reasonable challenge for Advanced players from the longs, especially on a windy day (I've played here twice, and those two conditions meant a 19 stroke difference for me). Hole lengths range from 180 to 576 feet, with an impressive variety of lines, choices and challenges.

The tees are large enough, level concrete in good repair, the signage is awesome, indicating all the pin options from each tee. There are new, durable benches and trash containers throughout the course, as well as two port-o-lets, a drinks machine, and a practice basket (all 24 chain DGA's) at the parking lot under the water tower. Next tee signs are just about everywhere you might need them (but you still might want the aerial map or a friendly local the first time, due to the criss-crossing paths and the way the course loops throughout the spacious property). Most of the time, the baskets are visible from the tees, or from just a slight walk to peek ahead (from the longs).

The course flows to the right from the parking lot with a well-marked mando on hole 1 keeping folks from attempting big hyzers out over the driveway (all comments here are for rhbh players). Hole two annies down the hill, and is followed by a walk back up for another (straight or gentle fade) downhill to #3. The fourth hole shoots downhill through a gap to a basket elevated on a significant mound, before you work your way through open and wooded shots in the more flat land for holes 5 through 8. Hole 9 annies well up the hill near the parking lot if you want to grab a beverage before bombing back down the hill on 10. After shooting the gap entry to the woods on 11, hole 12 varies between an easy ace run to a very demanding left bend, depending on pin position. 13 is 300 feet longer from the long tee than the short, but neither is a cake walk. 14 has similar variety, with a very tricky left hook finish if the basket is in the long position. 15 and 16 work their way back to the signature raised long tee on hole 17 (a must see!), after which it is safest to backtrack to the left down the hill through the grove for the uphill finish on 18.
Cons: The maintenance of this course is excellent - in the fairways - but you'll really want to keep a few pairs of eyes on errant shots if you can: the rough can be very thick and unforgiving, even if some of the plants are beautiful.

While the layout does a very good job of eliminating crossing fairways, there are a handful of fairly lengthy paths to hike from basket to the next tee (before 3, 5, 17 & 18), and it's not hard to get confused crossing by the 7th tee walking from 11 to 12. On the other hand, the scenery is nice, and these paths feel a little like a nature trail.
Other Thoughts: Having played the long tees to the C basket positions here on a windy day in November, and from the short tees to the B basket positions on a beautiful June day, I really hope I've gotten a feel for some of the variety this course offers. This was enjoyable either way!

A good course but the OB is no man's land

5+    6/9/2015   6/11/2013
Review By: Nasty Nate
This review was updated on 9/29/2015
Pros: - Offers a wide array of challenges and shot opportunities
- Has both Pro and Am tees, but not every hole
- Has enough trash cans for your convenience and also a few benches
- Has plastic bags for doggy waste!
- Is in a nice area
- Has a practice pin although is labeled as "practice tee"
- Lots of elevation changes, which can be a workout, but is not unreasonable
- There are 2 porta potties on site, one of which is handicap accessible
- Has a drink vending machine and water fountain
- Really interesting design with lots of challenges, the course flows really well and is great for beginners and experienced players
Cons: -The OB and much of the rough of this course is extremely overgrown and makes it impossible to retrieve a lost disc. It really needs to be thinned out a lot everywhere.
- Careless people litter even though there are trash cans
- The path from hole 17 to 18 has you backtrack directly across 17's fairway which is a troublesome design.
- Hole 2 gets super muddy after a rain, so it often gets skipped in that scenario. They actually did a lot of work to improve the drainage of this course, but it's still swampy in some areas
Other Thoughts: This course is one of the best around town but the rough is extremely bad and full of thorns. My friends have lost a lot of discs at this course, and I have lost a couple as well. Besides the dense overgrowth, Simsbury is actually quite nicely laid out and challenging. It's fun to play and you will definitely get a workout hiking up and down the hills.

< Prev 1 2 3 4