Pickerington, OH
Simsbury DGC Share
Uploaded By: sisyphus Hole #8 (Taken 6/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3
 quality disc golf

5+    9/3/2013   10/3/2013
Review By: in the biscut
Pros: Concrete long and short tees
Need all your drives left,right,up and down
I shoot about 58-64 from the longs so its a hard course in my opinion. I'm not out to duece every hole.
I prefer feeling rewarded with a 3 on holes 4,13,14,17 and 18 it takes 3 perfect shots.There are two or three pin locations on every hole which complety change the shot and your score. Extra strokes are certain when they are in hard positions.Hole 17 has an elevated tee pad which is part of what ends up being a 1 of a kind hole.
Holes 9 and 10 are also not run of the mill with huge elevation change for the Ohio valley area.
Not usually crowded
Mostly wooded. I mean real fairways in the woods. Not just a basket somewhere in the jungle with trees growing all willy nilly.
Cons: Swampy terrain on lower holes. Only really bad on hole 2 and 4 after rain.
Other Thoughts: Some people call this the disc eater. After approx 50 rounds from the long tees some of those solo rounds I've lost only 1 disc. I feel like the maintenance is pretty good. It does not have a course full of overgrown 5 foot tall rough.
Over all this is about as good as it gets in central Ohio.
I don't pick favourites between Brent hambrick, players dgc and simsbury.

Non-local,t ournament experience

1    8/24/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: Overall Score (4.4)

Tee pads (4/5): Level, concrete, and a long & short for every hole. Only reason they're not a 5 is because they could be bigger and smoother. I know I'm being a stickler here, but I make up for it in other areas of the review.

Baskets (4/5): Standard Mach 3's. Numbered, not colored. They caught fine for me, but I witnessed a couple spit outs during the tournament.

Layout/Design (4/5): There has recently been a ton of hard work put into the course and its in top condition. The rough, which was well trimmed and easy to browse through, appeared as if it is probably hellish on a normal basis. I haven't seen this course at any time other than this, and it is in pristine condition. The layout loops perfectly from hole #1 (parking lot) to hole #18 (parking lot)... doesn't get any better. And the entire design of the course was superb in my book. Dare I say, the designer made perfect use of the land he was given? While I'll admit that there were no eye-popping, jaw-dropping, remember-til-I-die holes here - the MAJORITY of holes here were exciting, unique, and extremely fun, to say the least. The course makes very good use of "Next Tee" signage.

Scenery/Surroundings (5/5): I'll start by saying there seems to be a pro shop nearby, and although I never saw it, I'm accounting for it.
The people that I played with in the tourney were all very nice. The surrounding neighborhood is incredibly nice, and you have tons of food options within just a couple miles. The rough was well-trimmed, grass mowed everywhere. Multiple trash cans and benches throughout the course. My girlfriend and the players on her card came really close to a deer during the tourney... that's always cool.

Likeliness to Return (5/5): I had a blast on almost every hole, even though I felt that I played terrible! You know that's a good sign.
Other Thoughts: I played this course for my first and only time during the Pickerington Classic, and it was a pleasure.

Very good in almost every way!

5+    6/16/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: RollingStone
Pros: All basic amenities present.

Solid disc shop nearby (this is a HUGE plus to me)!

FUN course that has the best elevation changes of any Columbus course I have gotten to play

This is an exclusively disc golf area, and gets less play than many other Columbus courses, so it's not as crowded as Griggs, Hambrick, Blendon, or just about any other course I played while staying in Columbus.

Lots of "next tee" signs were very helpful.

4 and 10 are unique holes that are worth the drive from my hotel in Westerville.
Cons: The brush is a little thick in places. Not thick enough I lost a disc, but thick.

Getting hassled by the Pickerington Police wasn't cool. I was driving a nice, late model (rental) car, dressed in nice jeans and a polo shirt, am clean cut and am on the wrong side of 40. An officer still asked to inspect my bag based on watching me light up a cigar. As if I'm going to trash a $20 stick by putting pot in it! I allowed the search as I had nothing to hide, but it was a little annoying to be stereotyped as a druggie because I like to throw "frisbees".
Other Thoughts: Despite my run-in with the Pickerington PD on my first visit to this course, I came back and played multiple rounds here on 3 other occasions. In their defense I suppose it may have seemed odd to see an adult playing disc golf in the middle of a work day, but my job allows me that kind of freedom, so don't make assumptions fellas!

Regardless, Simsbury is a phenomenal course, and you Buckeyes need to get yourselves out here to play it. It seemed like most of the people I talked to at other courses either hadn't heard about it or were "meaning to get out there". Don't wait, go now. It's the best course within an hour's drive of Columbus

The rough is thick, but not as bad as some of the people below me are claiming. I didn't loose a single disc, and played solo most of the time. However, I will admit that I played more conservatively than usual the first couple times out because I could see how thick the rough was. Tossing a mid twice and putting for par treated me will on most of the wooded holes. If you can't control it, don't throw it and you won't lose it! Simple! And if you do toss a bad shot, watch it all the way. Like I said, I didn't loose a disc in 7 rounds here.

I did find several discs poking around in the woods after my own disc. Only a couple had numbers (one of which was disconnected), and no-one picked up the phone when I called. First, put your number on a disc you want back. Second, I was probably the call you got from a blocked number, my cell phone is paid for by my company, and I don't want my number out there, sorry. If you got such a call, or have lost a blank disc, I may have left your disc near where I found it, but closer to the edge of the rough. Look again when you go to play. I have a limited number of discs I can transport (lots of air travel for business), so I don't pick any up on the course unless it's to return them.

This course is absolutely wonderful, and I probably would have rated it higher to reflect that it's the best in Columbus if I hadn't driven to Cincinnati to play Mt Airy and Idlewild. However, after playing those two courses, I just can't go higher than 4 stars. Still, this course is the best in Columbus by a wide margin.

Flexible layout

2-4    6/15/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Simsbury DGC in Pickerington, OH is easily accessible, has multiple tees and pin placements on nearly every hole, uses the elevations available creatively (and in a very fun way!), and the park is dedicated almost exclusively to disc golf, so this course is a must play in the Columbus region. It will challenge Rec players from the shorts and be a reasonable challenge for Advanced players from the longs, especially on a windy day (I've played here twice, and those two conditions meant a 19 stroke difference for me). Hole lengths range from 180 to 576 feet, with an impressive variety of lines, choices and challenges.

The tees are large enough, level concrete in good repair, the signage is awesome, indicating all the pin options from each tee. There are new, durable benches and trash containers throughout the course, as well as two port-o-lets, a drinks machine, and a practice basket (all 24 chain DGA's) at the parking lot under the water tower. Next tee signs are just about everywhere you might need them (but you still might want the aerial map or a friendly local the first time, due to the criss-crossing paths and the way the course loops throughout the spacious property). Most of the time, the baskets are visible from the tees, or from just a slight walk to peek ahead (from the longs).

The course flows to the right from the parking lot with a well-marked mando on hole 1 keeping folks from attempting big hyzers out over the driveway (all comments here are for rhbh players). Hole two annies down the hill, and is followed by a walk back up for another (straight or gentle fade) downhill to #3. The fourth hole shoots downhill through a gap to a basket elevated on a significant mound, before you work your way through open and wooded shots in the more flat land for holes 5 through 8. Hole 9 annies well up the hill near the parking lot if you want to grab a beverage before bombing back down the hill on 10. After shooting the gap entry to the woods on 11, hole 12 varies between an easy ace run to a very demanding left bend, depending on pin position. 13 is 300 feet longer from the long tee than the short, but neither is a cake walk. 14 has similar variety, with a very tricky left hook finish if the basket is in the long position. 15 and 16 work their way back to the signature raised long tee on hole 17 (a must see!), after which it is safest to backtrack to the left down the hill through the grove for the uphill finish on 18.
Cons: The maintenance of this course is excellent - in the fairways - but you'll really want to keep a few pairs of eyes on errant shots if you can: the rough can be very thick and unforgiving, even if some of the plants are beautiful.

While the layout does a very good job of eliminating crossing fairways, there are a handful of fairly lengthy paths to hike from basket to the next tee (before 3, 5, 17 & 18), and it's not hard to get confused crossing by the 7th tee walking from 11 to 12. On the other hand, the scenery is nice, and these paths feel a little like a nature trail.
Other Thoughts: Having played the long tees to the C basket positions here on a windy day in November, and from the short tees to the B basket positions on a beautiful June day, I really hope I've gotten a feel for some of the variety this course offers. This was enjoyable either way!

A good course but the OB is no man's land

5+    6/9/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: Nasty Nate
This review was updated on 8/20/2013
Pros: - Offers a wide array of challenges and shot opportunities
- Has both Pro and Am tees, but not every hole
- Has enough trash cans for your convenience and also a few benches
- Has plastic bags for doggy waste!
- Is in a nice area
- Has a practice pin although is labeled as "practice tee"
- Lots of elevation changes, which can be a workout, but is not unreasonable
- There are 2 porta potties on site, one of which is handicap accessible
- Has a drink vending machine
Cons: -The OB and much of the rough of this course is extremely overgrown and makes it impossible to retrieve a lost disc. It really needs to be thinned out a lot everywhere.
- We have picked up numerous ticks at this course, so you must always check yourself during and after rounds
- Careless people litter even though there are trash cans
- Confusing flow of course direction in some areas. Also the path from hole 17 to 18 has you backtrack directly across 17's fairway which is a troublesome design.
Other Thoughts: Update: As of 06/14/13 another friend of mine lost a disc in the overgrown OB areas of this course. This course EATS discs, I can only imagine how many have been lost here. Besides the dense overgrowth, the course is actually quite nicely laid out and challenging. Just make sure you stay on the fairways at all times!

Think Again

5+    6/10/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: ForehandAnhyzer
This review was updated on 6/26/2013
Pros: Decent variety of holes and challenges. Actually a decent disc golf course. Good use of elevation, nice use of wooded and open areas.
There are porta potties and there is a vending machine in the parking lot, which remains close by to a lot of holes. Check out Disc Golf Mart, which is the local disc store nearby. Get geared up and then go discing! (though you might want to hold off on throwing those shiny new discs...) Nice tees and signs. There are trash cans throughout, perhaps not quite enough though. Putting area. Concrete tees, both Pro and Am, though some holes only have one tee. A really good variety of holes. A nice course... BUT...
Cons: Course is poorly maintained. The rough is horrendous and unacceptable. Grass literally as tall as you are. Inaccessible areas. Full of ticks, thorn bushes, poison ivy and forever lost discs. Pick losers throw their trash everywhere. If you throw your disc off the fairway, you are fucked (unless you have an awesome dog to find them, like I do). Also, it can be confusing to navigate unless you are familiar with it. Poor directions/signage. Even just finding the course, you come upon it quickly and unexpectedly because the sign at the entrance is tiny and green. Walking along paths to the next holes you will run into downed trees, perhaps some dead animals and there are thorn bushes literally in your way just waiting for the unsuspecting discer to walk by and get snagged. It gets hot and humid here and due to all the excessive foliage, you will have bugs buzzing around your head and some biting you as you walk throughout the course. Also, there are mud pits in the way on the trails (in addition to these other dangers) for a long time after it has rained. These all combine to be absurd and in reality, dangerous. Bring your machetes and your weedwackers, because it is apparent no one else is (and that is just to navigate to the next hole! you will need a scorched earth to find lost discs). Seems more like a botany excursion than a disc golf outing.
Other Thoughts: I know I might seem like I am hating on this course but I still play it all the time and enjoy the challenges (though I curse it when I toss my disc into the rough. It really is a nightmare and you can tell disc golfers are not in mind with this one). It is pretty good for being close by (in spite of the negatives). I wanted to give a more negative glimpse into what this course is really like to play and live with, since everyone seems to be singing its praises without addressing some of the glaring issues. YOU WILL LOSE A DISC. and when it gets hot out, YOU WILL GET TICKS (or your awesome dog will). It is actually a really good run of holes, and I enjoy playing back-to-back rounds of it when I can, but the frankly unacceptable rough is enough to get any discer's goat. E for Effort.

1    3/10/2013   3/10/2013
Review By: kev32650
Pros: Great piece of land.
Lots of elevation both up and down.
Great variety of lefty, righty, and straight.
Enough distance on several holes to make drive placement and second shots matter.
Great signage, benches, plenty of grabage cans.
Enough unique holes and features that make it memorable and make you want to come back again.
Cons: A lot of long walks from hole to hole made the flow a little weird and long, especially with my two little kids. Took us 3 hrs with several stops, two creek visits, and a playground stop, so the extra walking was getting on my nerves a bit. Take it with a grain of salt though, cuz if it was just me out there today, I probably wouldn't be complaining about the walk between holes
There were a few kind of blah holes, 6 and 8 maybe, that seemed open, straight and not long enough to be very interesting.
Other Thoughts: Awesome. Wondering why I waited almost two years since moving to Columbus to play out there. This might be my favorite area course with Hoover, Gordon Holton right up there. Loved the elevation, Makes such a big difference for fun factor. With all the different pin placements and short and long, there's huge replay factor. I played longs today and they were a challenge, but fun. Can't wait to get back out and play shorts and hopefully light it up a bit.

Central Ohio Gem!

1    1/19/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: 2 sets of tees, good quality baskets, and plenty of parking, so all the basics are present.

Several unusual holes for Central Ohio, and holes that force you to use every shot in your bag.

Variety of hole types ensure a good experience for all.

Many holes force you to hit a line without being overly restrictive.
Cons: I don't live in one of the houses right on the course?
Other Thoughts: This course is as much fun as I've had in Central Ohio. There is significant use of terrain in many of the first 10 holes of this course, as well as the final two. All holes were fair from the short tees, and most even looked playable from the longs(not usually the case for me at this stage of my development). The first few holes are fairly open, which is a design I love as it gives you a quick warm-up. After those three holes the course gets more challenging with a downhill shot to a basket on an 8 foot tall mound. Other noteworthy holes: 9 is a fun uphill shot, and 10 plays about 250' back down the same hill. Hole 17 is a challenging uphill shot with the basket tucked back behind a grove of trees. The rough that everyone is grumbling about has died down, so if you get another warm day this winter, now's the time to go learn this course. Despite having played 18 holes at the other Pickerington course today, this is a course that I immediately wanted to turn around and play again. The only reason I didn't was due to lack of time before dark. This is my new favorite course in the Columbus area, and I look forward to many more rounds here!

Solid Course

5+    9/15/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: There are two sets of concrete tees and the signs are some of the best around. The two sets of tees are awesome and make the course accessible for players of all skill levels. The design utilizes the land pretty well and elevation comes into play on many holes. There is a good variety of lines forced here. Hole 4 from the short is a good tunnel shot onto a large elevated green. Hole 7 is nice short tunnel shot with 2 distinct routes. 10 is a fun downhill hole. 13 is a great hole from either tee. From the long it is a nice par 4 with a generous fairway and from the short tee it is a nice skinny straight shot.
Cons: There are not many signature holes. This course does not strike me as very memorable. There is not many par 4s and no par 5s here. Some holes are open and offer no interesting features such as holes 1, 3, 6, 8, and 16. Some of the long tees are not very fun and make the holes tweener holes, nearly impossible 2s but easy 3s.
Other Thoughts: I think Hoover is more fun than here.

time of year to play

2-4    10/25/2010   7/17/2011
Review By: Brockthered
Pros: Challenging shots
Elevation changes,
holes that bend both directions
long drives
lots of skill shots through trees
great lay out with benches and pretty land
Cons: this is the thickest underbrush i have ever encountered playing disk golf. More than 1/2 half of the holes on this course are deadly for loosing a disk. Having someone run ahead and spot your drive is a must. As much as I love this course and think it is the best one on the Columbus area I will only be interested in playing in early spring and in the autumn because of the thorns, broad leafed plants and bushes that dominate the rough on every hole.
The last time I played there my 2 friends and I left after hole #8 because of the frustration of looking for disks dominated our time.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth the drive to Pickerington.

< Prev 1 2 3