Pickerington, OH
Simsbury DGC Share
Uploaded By: crandellfamily Hole #5 (Taken 7/2010)

Super fun

5+    2/24/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: Mulligan
This review was updated on 3/3/2011
Pros: Nice double tee set up for most holes, with several elevated.
Really nice use of the land, including some hills that looks like they were added, but especially the use of the scrub brush and briar patches as obstacles.
Winds through a nice bit of up and down as well as in and out of thin forest.
I really like holes 4-10, with 10 being on top of a big hill overlooking a good portion of the course.
Well kept up course that is quickly becoming my favorite in the C-bus area... been playing it daily!
Cons: Tee locations we sometimes hard to find, even with signs, especially on the back 9 the first time through.
No biggie after that.
Other Thoughts: There were several benches and trash receptacles along the course, but it looks like the local kids litter constantly... that was a bummer.

Keeps getting better

5+    2/19/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 3/2/2011
Pros: Very diverse

Balance of long/short & tight/open

Nice elevation

Dual concrete pads & dual pin placements

All proper amenities present - benches, restrooms, stairs when helpful...
Cons: Some rough will swallow your discs...then burp and laugh
Other Thoughts: The design is awesome. This course has a wonderful blend of shots.

Its length is intermediate, for the most part. Even from the longs, many holes are reachable from the tee. There are a few nice bomber holes though, especially hole 13. This hole will take as much control as distance. In fact, as is the case with almost every hole at this couse, your control should trump distance. Every single hole has some element of danger. Some fairways are tight. Some fairways take sharp doglegs. Some pins are elevated. Some pins are on roll-away greens. There are no true open field shots. Most hazards come late but there are also early trouble holes.

A cool aspect of this course is that each hole seems to be its own monster. Hard to describe what I mean. Each hole has it's own character and pretty much has its own ground. From pin to next tee, you often walk to a location unlike the one you just left. The diversity alone makes this a top course.

My first time here was last year right when it opened. I aint gonna lie, the rough was a bit too rough for me. I lost two of my favorite discs here. However, I loved the design. So, I decided to hold off writing a review to see if the rough thinned out over the year. It did. Significantly. Some holes have cleared out nicely. Like I said before, staying in the fairway is more important than a few extra feet.

The fun factor here is high. It is challenging but achievable for most skill levels.

pickerington dgc course guide help

5+    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: andrewkh
Pros: -easy to navigate
-lots of elevation changes
-great tee pads
-nice baskets
-wide variety of shots
-most holes have a couple shot options
-short and long tees
-multiple pin placements
-lots of risk and reward shots
-great local disc golf scene
Cons: -no signs yet but there will be in the future
-can get very busy
-some spots have some really bad rough and discs can be lost
Other Thoughts: this course is alot of fun, one of the best courses i've played in the area and there are plans to make it even better. i will definatly be back to this course for future rounds and any tournaments scheduled here!!! had a blast playing here

Top Notch

1    10/28/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: Pickerington Disc Golf Course is a fantastic addition to the Columbus area. This course is located in a disc golf only park that has ample parking and bathrooms. It looks like a lot of thought, time and money went into the construction of this course and the designer (Paul Jay) has put together something special. This course has it all, open, wooded, elevated tee's, elevated baskets, right turning, left turning, uphill and downhill. There is shot shaping required on almost every hole and you really have to pay attention to where your drives and upshots land due to some treacherous and well protected greens. When I played this course it looks like what I would call a professional course. Distinct, nicely mowed fairways, 2 perfect tee pads (width and length) per hole, new baskets with tough pin positions and trees that have been strategically planted to provide difficulty now and in the future when they grow. This course has a pay to play feel to it without you having to pay. Also I really liked that this course rewards accuracy well because as noted below in some other reviews the rough is rough, although now in late October early November a lot of the under growth is dying off and the chance of a lost disc is negligible. Navigation between holes is very easy and clearly marked.
Cons: I know that the course is not yet finished (there is a big sign that tell you so) but I am eagerly awaiting some nice tee signs instead of just the hole #. Also a few more benches and trash cans would be helpful.
One thing to note that I am not sure is a complete Con or not is that the holes are very jumbled. The course does not follow a logical path that I could see. From number 5 through 11 the holes really weave amongst each other. Navigation is not difficult, but you will need to look at the signs and not the just walk past the basket to the next hole. Maybe this is actually a Pro since the designer put in the best holes possible without worrying about logical flow.
Other Thoughts: This was a great course. I loved how you could see how much effort went into building it. There is a high fun factor at this course and since we had the whole course to ourselves it felt very exclusive. I would love to live in the neighbor hood that butts up against this course and get to play it on a regular basis.
Pickerington is conveniently located new interstate 70 and only a mile or two away is a nice town with lots of food and gas options.
Even though Columbus has other great courses I think that this could become the crown jewel of the area. Once the course is "completed" and broken in a little I could see myself possibly changing the rating for this course to a 5. This was the perfect course to conclude a disc golf road trip with!

1    10/27/2010   10/27/2010
Review By: Django
Pros: good playability
lots of ace opportunities
technical application
Cons: needs more clearing done
cant really "open up" your shots
Other Thoughts: Future will bring better change
liked my round there
a lot of lost discs on back 9

2-4    10/23/2010   10/26/2010
Review By: OhioDiscer
Pros: 18 holes of variety, long and short tees, not to crowded, near a lot of food stops, and close to sycamore disc golf a 9 hole course behind a church.
Cons: some bad tee marking mostly on back 9 holes, and some holes are next to thick thorn patches so watch out.
Other Thoughts: I would be in paradise if I lived in a house next to hole 15. Then I could walk through my backyard into a disc golf course and play a good round.

Another DGC gem in the C-bus vivinity

1    8/28/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: PICKERINGTON, what a nice community

DGC only park (or atleast for the most part)

porta johns

ample parking

2 tee and 2 basket postions for every hole, nice

Elevated greens and tees

Fast greens, baskets placed near edge of hillsides

GREAT MIX of the RLC (from short tees) design method.

Some really good holes along with a few great holes make this DGC another gem to be added to the ever growing DG world in the C-bus vicinity

a LEFTY friendly DGC (from the short tees) but still .....VERY challenging and punishing if you stray off the fairway

next tee signs

convience store (Cirlce K, don't buy the chocolate milk, it's spoiled at least the day I bought it) nearby

Cons: of the tee signs that we're present, none we're descriptive of the layout of the hole <so if your playing blind for the first time, you don't even know how some holes are presented>, but both teeing areas had coresponding hole # to the teeing area

Some holes abutted homes, so I can see some conflict, but the holes that did abutt the home owners property were teeing area only <so it shouldn't be too much conflict>, So DGers please be on your best behavior next to the homes

I didn't see to many gas stations (the way I came in as I came in from Baltimore to Pickerington)
Other Thoughts: I played this DGC from the short tees, so my review is based from that. but I look forward to playing from the long tees (if I'm using my friends discs, jk. As the rough is ROUGH. Stay on the fairway

if this DGC had better descriptive tee signs I would rate it one notch higher as I feel that's important, but that's just my opinion

A must play!

1    6/20/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: spookytay
This review was updated on 9/18/2010
Pros: I'll keep it simple, but I agree 100% on what Myers and a lot of everyone else has said. You have to play here and check it out.

+Long and Short Concrete Tee Pads on most holes
+Good use of the landscape, very challenging
+Not very busy, never had anyone waiting behind us, or in front of us. Maybe only about 6 groups on the course at the time I played.
Cons: Not many, it's new so over growth in certain areas makes it hard to find a miss thrown disc. Other than that, it's far east and traffic during rush hour is horrible sometimes.

-Still new at this time... in that the rough is VERY rough, I strayed a few times, but was able to find myself very quickly most of the times, with a help of a spotter thankfully. Accuracy is key to maintaining a great score.
Other Thoughts: A new favorite, wish I lived closer. I'm next to Hoover, but end up playing Griggs a lot due to friends, but wish I could play here more often.

BUGS ARE BAD, BRING REPELLENT

championship caliber course!

5+    6/26/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: Myers
This review was updated on 8/31/2010
Pros: Course has a great variety, challenging and well designed with great use of land. Course has two sets of concrete tee pads on almost all 18 holes which provide challenge for multiple skill levels. It is very well manicured and taken care of. The city of Pickerington spared no expense when putting in the course. fantastic parking lot, porta johns, Mach 3 baskets, ample length tee pads, looping layout for 1-9 or 10-18 play, and great design features such as plateaus for pin placements or tee pads and natural stone steps up onto them. aesthetically pleasing. Multiple pin placements.

This Course from the Long tees is a championship level course. Shot placement and precision are equally as important as distance. OB adds to the challenge in tournament play and should be permanently marked soon. Great variety of all shot types, up/down hill, wooded and technical, open bombs, dogleg right and left. My new favorite course in Ohio!
Cons: The course is new. not a con neccessarily but it means that the rough has not been trampled yet. this seems to be the only recurring con. The parks and rec dept of Pickerington is actively updating/upgrading the course so before long this will not be an issue. Last I played signage was ok but still lacking some but from what I have heard that has been updated.
Other Thoughts: This is a very exciting course to have in the Columbus vicinity. It provides another great alternative to to the well known Brent Hambrick course. This is sure to be a course to have great tournaments as well as many new upgrades to come.

Loads of fun

1    8/2/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: ennuied
Pros: Great variety. A lot of elevation changes and blind holes. A dearth of dogleg-rights make the RHBH players use their head.
Cons: As other people have mentioned, the rough is very thick. Blind holes and holes with significant elevation change can mean trouble for your disc.
Other Thoughts: Consider sending a spotter a ways down the fairway to determine if/where the disc enters the thick brush. This repeatedly meant the difference between a bit of searching and losing your favorite disc forever.