Pickerington, OH
Simsbury DGC Share
Uploaded By: BuckeyeMike Hole #1 (Taken 5/2010)

Central Ohio Gem!

5+    1/19/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
This review was updated on 5/6/2015
Pros: 2 sets of tees, good quality baskets, and plenty of parking, so all the basics are present.

Several unusual holes for Central Ohio, and holes that force you to use every shot in your bag.

Variety of hole types ensure a good experience for all.

Many holes force you to hit a line without being overly restrictive.

Update:

Mailbox full of scorecards and pencils

New covered picnic area with restrooms and vending machines!

2 - 3 pin placements for each hole ensure you rarely play the same course (assuming you don't live here and play it daily...)
Cons: I don't live in one of the houses right on the course?

Some pin/tee combinations are unimaginative and boring when you play from the shorts, so I often end up playing a combo of short/long tees when playing with people who don't want to play from the longs exclusively.
Other Thoughts: This course is as much fun as I've had in Central Ohio. There is significant use of terrain in many of the first 10 holes of this course, as well as the final two. All holes were fair from the short tees, and most even looked playable from the longs(not usually the case for me at this stage of my development). The first few holes are fairly open, which is a design I love as it gives you a quick warm-up. After those three holes the course gets more challenging with a downhill shot to a basket on an 8 foot tall mound. Other noteworthy holes: 9 is a fun uphill shot, and 10 plays about 250' back down the same hill. Hole 17 is a challenging uphill shot with the basket tucked back behind a grove of trees. The rough that everyone is grumbling about has died down, so if you get another warm day this winter, now's the time to go learn this course. Despite having played 18 holes at the other Pickerington course today, this is a course that I immediately wanted to turn around and play again. The only reason I didn't was due to lack of time before dark. This is my new favorite course in the Columbus area, and I look forward to many more rounds here!

2015 Update:

The brush has been thinned significantly, and the trees are starting to leaf out and make things more challenging again. I stand by my previous statement that this is the best course in Central Ohio, but I will qualify it. It is the best course when you play from the longs, or the pins are not in the easiest positions. If you want to play all shorts, be prepared for a less challenging experience, as many of the pins are currently in the short "A" positions and are mind-numbingly easy.

Solid Course

5+    9/15/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: There are two sets of concrete tees and the signs are some of the best around. The two sets of tees are awesome and make the course accessible for players of all skill levels. The design utilizes the land pretty well and elevation comes into play on many holes. There is a good variety of lines forced here. Hole 4 from the short is a good tunnel shot onto a large elevated green. Hole 7 is nice short tunnel shot with 2 distinct routes. 10 is a fun downhill hole. 13 is a great hole from either tee. From the long it is a nice par 4 with a generous fairway and from the short tee it is a nice skinny straight shot.
Cons: There are not many signature holes. This course does not strike me as very memorable. There is not many par 4s and no par 5s here. Some holes are open and offer no interesting features such as holes 1, 3, 6, 8, and 16. Some of the long tees are not very fun and make the holes tweener holes, nearly impossible 2s but easy 3s.
Other Thoughts: I think Hoover is more fun than here.

time of year to play

2-4    10/25/2010   7/17/2011
Review By: Brockthered
Pros: Challenging shots
Elevation changes,
holes that bend both directions
long drives
lots of skill shots through trees
great lay out with benches and pretty land
Cons: this is the thickest underbrush i have ever encountered playing disk golf. More than 1/2 half of the holes on this course are deadly for loosing a disk. Having someone run ahead and spot your drive is a must. As much as I love this course and think it is the best one on the Columbus area I will only be interested in playing in early spring and in the autumn because of the thorns, broad leafed plants and bushes that dominate the rough on every hole.
The last time I played there my 2 friends and I left after hole #8 because of the frustration of looking for disks dominated our time.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth the drive to Pickerington.

Super fun

5+    2/24/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: Mulligan
This review was updated on 5/6/2015
Pros: This course has a nice flow, with multiple elevation changes, some fun elevated pins, a little bit of woods, and a few with decent distance. The course starts to get interesting from 4 on, 10 is a bomb from on high, into the woods for a second, but ends with a wimper of mostly unimaginative holes. I actually love this course, but it feels like a really technical, fun 9 hole course shoved up amidst another 9 that feel like an after thought. I still think its top 3 in Columbus easy, but my other two favorites are Blendon Woods and Community Park, which are shorties, but technical and interesting. I always go for most interesting, regardless of distance, so consider that when reading this review. Simsbury is an awesome backyard course, but could have been better.
Cons: Situated in the heart of suburbia, you sometimes have to deal with that scene. I've dealt with too much random trash, frat boys, and even a few kids on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes riding right through a fairway on the back nine that runs next to the back yards of what must be a cul de sac based on the behavior of the precious children that behaved so poorly.
Other Thoughts: After multiple years playing this course, I'm backing off my original rating, even though they've made a few improvements. The new shed with vending and covered picnic tables is much appreciated, though.

Keeps getting better

5+    2/19/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 3/2/2011
Pros: Very diverse

Balance of long/short & tight/open

Nice elevation

Dual concrete pads & dual pin placements

All proper amenities present - benches, restrooms, stairs when helpful...
Cons: Some rough will swallow your discs...then burp and laugh
Other Thoughts: The design is awesome. This course has a wonderful blend of shots.

Its length is intermediate, for the most part. Even from the longs, many holes are reachable from the tee. There are a few nice bomber holes though, especially hole 13. This hole will take as much control as distance. In fact, as is the case with almost every hole at this couse, your control should trump distance. Every single hole has some element of danger. Some fairways are tight. Some fairways take sharp doglegs. Some pins are elevated. Some pins are on roll-away greens. There are no true open field shots. Most hazards come late but there are also early trouble holes.

A cool aspect of this course is that each hole seems to be its own monster. Hard to describe what I mean. Each hole has it's own character and pretty much has its own ground. From pin to next tee, you often walk to a location unlike the one you just left. The diversity alone makes this a top course.

My first time here was last year right when it opened. I aint gonna lie, the rough was a bit too rough for me. I lost two of my favorite discs here. However, I loved the design. So, I decided to hold off writing a review to see if the rough thinned out over the year. It did. Significantly. Some holes have cleared out nicely. Like I said before, staying in the fairway is more important than a few extra feet.

The fun factor here is high. It is challenging but achievable for most skill levels.

pickerington dgc course guide help

5+    11/14/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: andrewkh
Pros: -easy to navigate
-lots of elevation changes
-great tee pads
-nice baskets
-wide variety of shots
-most holes have a couple shot options
-short and long tees
-multiple pin placements
-lots of risk and reward shots
-great local disc golf scene
Cons: -no signs yet but there will be in the future
-can get very busy
-some spots have some really bad rough and discs can be lost
Other Thoughts: this course is alot of fun, one of the best courses i've played in the area and there are plans to make it even better. i will definatly be back to this course for future rounds and any tournaments scheduled here!!! had a blast playing here

Top Notch

1    10/28/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: Pickerington Disc Golf Course is a fantastic addition to the Columbus area. This course is located in a disc golf only park that has ample parking and bathrooms. It looks like a lot of thought, time and money went into the construction of this course and the designer (Paul Jay) has put together something special. This course has it all, open, wooded, elevated tee's, elevated baskets, right turning, left turning, uphill and downhill. There is shot shaping required on almost every hole and you really have to pay attention to where your drives and upshots land due to some treacherous and well protected greens. When I played this course it looks like what I would call a professional course. Distinct, nicely mowed fairways, 2 perfect tee pads (width and length) per hole, new baskets with tough pin positions and trees that have been strategically planted to provide difficulty now and in the future when they grow. This course has a pay to play feel to it without you having to pay. Also I really liked that this course rewards accuracy well because as noted below in some other reviews the rough is rough, although now in late October early November a lot of the under growth is dying off and the chance of a lost disc is negligible. Navigation between holes is very easy and clearly marked.
Cons: I know that the course is not yet finished (there is a big sign that tell you so) but I am eagerly awaiting some nice tee signs instead of just the hole #. Also a few more benches and trash cans would be helpful.
One thing to note that I am not sure is a complete Con or not is that the holes are very jumbled. The course does not follow a logical path that I could see. From number 5 through 11 the holes really weave amongst each other. Navigation is not difficult, but you will need to look at the signs and not the just walk past the basket to the next hole. Maybe this is actually a Pro since the designer put in the best holes possible without worrying about logical flow.
Other Thoughts: This was a great course. I loved how you could see how much effort went into building it. There is a high fun factor at this course and since we had the whole course to ourselves it felt very exclusive. I would love to live in the neighbor hood that butts up against this course and get to play it on a regular basis.
Pickerington is conveniently located new interstate 70 and only a mile or two away is a nice town with lots of food and gas options.
Even though Columbus has other great courses I think that this could become the crown jewel of the area. Once the course is "completed" and broken in a little I could see myself possibly changing the rating for this course to a 5. This was the perfect course to conclude a disc golf road trip with!

1    10/27/2010   10/27/2010
Review By: Django
Pros: good playability
lots of ace opportunities
technical application
Cons: needs more clearing done
cant really "open up" your shots
Other Thoughts: Future will bring better change
liked my round there
a lot of lost discs on back 9

2-4    10/23/2010   10/26/2010
Review By: OhioDiscer
Pros: 18 holes of variety, long and short tees, not to crowded, near a lot of food stops, and close to sycamore disc golf a 9 hole course behind a church.
Cons: some bad tee marking mostly on back 9 holes, and some holes are next to thick thorn patches so watch out.
Other Thoughts: I would be in paradise if I lived in a house next to hole 15. Then I could walk through my backyard into a disc golf course and play a good round.

Another DGC gem in the C-bus vivinity

1    8/28/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: PICKERINGTON, what a nice community

DGC only park (or atleast for the most part)

porta johns

ample parking

2 tee and 2 basket postions for every hole, nice

Elevated greens and tees

Fast greens, baskets placed near edge of hillsides

GREAT MIX of the RLC (from short tees) design method.

Some really good holes along with a few great holes make this DGC another gem to be added to the ever growing DG world in the C-bus vicinity

a LEFTY friendly DGC (from the short tees) but still .....VERY challenging and punishing if you stray off the fairway

next tee signs

convience store (Cirlce K, don't buy the chocolate milk, it's spoiled at least the day I bought it) nearby

Cons: of the tee signs that we're present, none we're descriptive of the layout of the hole <so if your playing blind for the first time, you don't even know how some holes are presented>, but both teeing areas had coresponding hole # to the teeing area

Some holes abutted homes, so I can see some conflict, but the holes that did abutt the home owners property were teeing area only <so it shouldn't be too much conflict>, So DGers please be on your best behavior next to the homes

I didn't see to many gas stations (the way I came in as I came in from Baltimore to Pickerington)
Other Thoughts: I played this DGC from the short tees, so my review is based from that. but I look forward to playing from the long tees (if I'm using my friends discs, jk. As the rough is ROUGH. Stay on the fairway

if this DGC had better descriptive tee signs I would rate it one notch higher as I feel that's important, but that's just my opinion