Pickerington, OH
Simsbury DGC Share
Uploaded By: sisyphus Hole #7 (Taken 6/2013)

2-4    10/23/2010   10/26/2010
Review By: OhioDiscer
Pros: 18 holes of variety, long and short tees, not to crowded, near a lot of food stops, and close to sycamore disc golf a 9 hole course behind a church.
Cons: some bad tee marking mostly on back 9 holes, and some holes are next to thick thorn patches so watch out.
Other Thoughts: I would be in paradise if I lived in a house next to hole 15. Then I could walk through my backyard into a disc golf course and play a good round.

Another DGC gem in the C-bus vivinity

1    8/28/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: PICKERINGTON, what a nice community

DGC only park (or atleast for the most part)

porta johns

ample parking

2 tee and 2 basket postions for every hole, nice

Elevated greens and tees

Fast greens, baskets placed near edge of hillsides

GREAT MIX of the RLC (from short tees) design method.

Some really good holes along with a few great holes make this DGC another gem to be added to the ever growing DG world in the C-bus vicinity

a LEFTY friendly DGC (from the short tees) but still .....VERY challenging and punishing if you stray off the fairway

next tee signs

convience store (Cirlce K, don't buy the chocolate milk, it's spoiled at least the day I bought it) nearby

Cons: of the tee signs that we're present, none we're descriptive of the layout of the hole <so if your playing blind for the first time, you don't even know how some holes are presented>, but both teeing areas had coresponding hole # to the teeing area

Some holes abutted homes, so I can see some conflict, but the holes that did abutt the home owners property were teeing area only <so it shouldn't be too much conflict>, So DGers please be on your best behavior next to the homes

I didn't see to many gas stations (the way I came in as I came in from Baltimore to Pickerington)
Other Thoughts: I played this DGC from the short tees, so my review is based from that. but I look forward to playing from the long tees (if I'm using my friends discs, jk. As the rough is ROUGH. Stay on the fairway

if this DGC had better descriptive tee signs I would rate it one notch higher as I feel that's important, but that's just my opinion

A must play!

1    6/20/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: spookytay
This review was updated on 9/18/2010
Pros: I'll keep it simple, but I agree 100% on what Myers and a lot of everyone else has said. You have to play here and check it out.

+Long and Short Concrete Tee Pads on most holes
+Good use of the landscape, very challenging
+Not very busy, never had anyone waiting behind us, or in front of us. Maybe only about 6 groups on the course at the time I played.
Cons: Not many, it's new so over growth in certain areas makes it hard to find a miss thrown disc. Other than that, it's far east and traffic during rush hour is horrible sometimes.

-Still new at this time... in that the rough is VERY rough, I strayed a few times, but was able to find myself very quickly most of the times, with a help of a spotter thankfully. Accuracy is key to maintaining a great score.
Other Thoughts: A new favorite, wish I lived closer. I'm next to Hoover, but end up playing Griggs a lot due to friends, but wish I could play here more often.

BUGS ARE BAD, BRING REPELLENT

championship caliber course!

5+    6/26/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: Myers
This review was updated on 8/31/2010
Pros: Course has a great variety, challenging and well designed with great use of land. Course has two sets of concrete tee pads on almost all 18 holes which provide challenge for multiple skill levels. It is very well manicured and taken care of. The city of Pickerington spared no expense when putting in the course. fantastic parking lot, porta johns, Mach 3 baskets, ample length tee pads, looping layout for 1-9 or 10-18 play, and great design features such as plateaus for pin placements or tee pads and natural stone steps up onto them. aesthetically pleasing. Multiple pin placements.

This Course from the Long tees is a championship level course. Shot placement and precision are equally as important as distance. OB adds to the challenge in tournament play and should be permanently marked soon. Great variety of all shot types, up/down hill, wooded and technical, open bombs, dogleg right and left. My new favorite course in Ohio!
Cons: The course is new. not a con neccessarily but it means that the rough has not been trampled yet. this seems to be the only recurring con. The parks and rec dept of Pickerington is actively updating/upgrading the course so before long this will not be an issue. Last I played signage was ok but still lacking some but from what I have heard that has been updated.
Other Thoughts: This is a very exciting course to have in the Columbus vicinity. It provides another great alternative to to the well known Brent Hambrick course. This is sure to be a course to have great tournaments as well as many new upgrades to come.

Loads of fun

1    8/2/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: ennuied
Pros: Great variety. A lot of elevation changes and blind holes. A dearth of dogleg-rights make the RHBH players use their head.
Cons: As other people have mentioned, the rough is very thick. Blind holes and holes with significant elevation change can mean trouble for your disc.
Other Thoughts: Consider sending a spotter a ways down the fairway to determine if/where the disc enters the thick brush. This repeatedly meant the difference between a bit of searching and losing your favorite disc forever.

Good fun course

1    7/24/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: Kent18
Pros: 1) Most if not all holes have two cement pads (short and long). We played all the short holes for our first time but noticed how the holes significantly change in difficulty and shot selection from the long t-pads.
2) My group was able to navigate the course fairly easy with all the signage that is in place. What is great about the signage, is it faces you from your last point on the course, so there is no more walking all the way to a tee pad to check and see if you have arrived at the right hole or path.
3) Lots of good hole combinations; elevation changes, up/down hills for your drives. Great pin placements that make you think.
4) The course has a good fun factor to it. Lots of holes have that little extra something; whether its a basket put on a grassy knoll or on a mini cliff all which was manmade for the course lets you appreciate the effort and extra challenge it accounts for.
5) Course plays on some holes alongside a nice neighborhood and the general feel of the course including the parking lot seems cared for and professional.
6) Trash cans are in place on most holes.
Cons: 1) Overgrowth off most the fairways is really thick. Since this apparently seems to be a new course we saw where there has been attempts on some of the holes to clear this issue up (we could smell the gas leftover from attempted recent clear cut burns) but its still pretty bad. We found 2 discs at one time when we finally went into the rough on 18. That just seemed to prove the point that your discs have a good chance of being lost forever if you miss the fairway.
2) No tee pad signs showing distances
3) Course flow. Some of the holes require walking around other holes to reach them. Not long distances but you do need to be aware if others are playing those holes when traveling around them.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course looks fun and plays fun. We all wished we would have had time to play the course again from the long tees because I think that would raise the professional aspect of our experience (none of us are pros yet we all shot par or under on the shorts for our first time) but decided to play from the short to learn the course and prevent loosing discs. If you are coming for the first time I would proabably recommend you play the shorts first as well just because of the overgrowth off of the fairways.

Good Addition

5+    7/3/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: roadtripstuff
This review was updated on 2/20/2011
Pros:
Nicest Tee Pads I've Seen
Multiple Tee Pads
Multiple Pin Placements
Good Variety (Uses every shot you have.)
Beautiful Park in a Wildlife Setting
Ample Parking
Excellent Pin Placements (4B is awesome)
Signs at Every Hole
Tee Signs Make Finding Next HOle Easy
New Baskets
Well Defined Fairways
Signs Directing You to Next Tee
Cons:
Rough is VERY Rough (Briars Everywhere - Bleeding nearly everytime I went off the Fairway)
Discs Can Easily Get Lost
Hole Play Amongst One Another (No Crossing, Just Close to One Another)
This course is another great addition to the Columbus area disc golf scene. Multiple pin placements and tee pads are just some of the great things this course has to offer. While not for beginners, mainly due to the awful rough, intermediate to advanced, and pros alike could each find a challenge here.

The course has a great layout beginning near the parking lot and winding its way through a large rather wild park setting. First three holes play rather open but if you go off the fairway be ready to pay the price. The rough between holes two and three seems especially tough. Aside from the trees, vines, ivy, and briars there is also a giant pile of old logs in the middle of the vegetation. Be careful climbing in there to retrieve discs as one of the logs started sliding on my buddy and he nearly lost it. Best advice is to avoid that patch at all costs.

From here things start to get a little more technical as more trees come into play, as well some wonderful uses of elevation. The designers really took time selecting the pin placements on this one, they are designed to make you think and execute all while still having fun.

Overall this is definitely one of the top three in the area, and with a little more clean up/play, plus the addition of the new signs, and a few benches this could work its way on up the list.

*Update: Benches and trash cans added throughout the park, could still use a few more, or better placements, but it was a great addition to the course. Still needs improved tee signs.

Rough has cleared up a bit, but I don't know if that's permanent or just due to winter. Hopefully it will remain pretty clear throughout the summer.

Very fun, even with the thorns

2-4    7/9/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: crandellfamily
This review was updated on 7/25/2010
Pros: After a second trip, I've changed my mind. Pickerington isn't as friendly to beginners as I first thought. It remains forgiving from the short tees, with short to medium length at most. But the thorn-filled woods can come into play on almost every hole. It doesn't matter so much which type of fade or hook you put on your shot, as long as you can keep it straight.

The difficulty increases significantly from the long tees. My son and I played from a mix of short and long, and finished our 18 in two relaxed hours, with at least half a dozen trips into the thickets to chase our worst throws.

There's only one major slope on the parkland, but it's used to very good effect. The first four holes gradually work their way down the hill. 5-8 play along the base. 9 and 10 take a steeper line up and down. 11-16 are flat again. 17 and 18 are two tough uphills to close out the round.

Short tee drives are almost always have a clear path, with a few well-defined trees as obstacles. Beginners can stick with their most reliable shot and trajectory most of the time. Extremely thick brush lines the fairway on most holes, however. If you throw too far off line be prepared for some nasty thorns.

The basket placement when we visited was excellent. Although beginners could once again survive with their most reliable shot, it helps a lot to consider the best angle of approach. Many baskets were tucked tight against protective brush/woods either right or left. There were a couple baskets set into the trees, and two baskets set onto challenging, but very playable ledges.

One of the best visual features of Pickerington is the fairway grass. It was cut fairly short in early July. Very green and clean. The cement tees are standard and perfectly level: both long and short.

Favorite holes:

#4 - downhill for the drive, with woods on the left to restrict the best line of sight to the basket. Your approach needs to hold a fairly broad ledge, with the basket near the back-left edge.

#10 - significant downhill. Woods on the left. Scattered trees in the fairway and around the basket make this a blind shot, with a bit of luck required to get the drive close.

#11 - Short, flat and straight. Open drive, but then it shoots at least 60 feet into the woods for the approach/putt.

#17 - An extreme drive over out-of-bounds brush from the high platform long tee. From there it's another 250 feet uphill.
Cons: Some of the thickest thorns we've ever seen on a disc golf course. There were a few times we could see our disc stuck in a patch less than 10 feet away, with no easy way to get there, let along swing through a recovery toss. Our fault for finding the rough.

Course navigation isn't always intuitive, and the walks to the next tee aren't always marked. You need to swing around the 7th tee to get from 11 to 12. And you have to walk the length of the 5th hole, and more, in order to get from 16 to 17. Be sure to pick up a scorecard: it includes a map of the overall routing.
Other Thoughts: Depending upon your level of play: the short tees may seem too easy, while the long tees can add a stroke to several holes. We couldn't bring ourselves to accept the 300 foot handicap from the short tee on 13, and stuck with the long tees from that point on. Second round we played the shorts throughout.

The course still seems new, and the signage is limited, but functional. Metal posts with small green number signs on the short tees - the long tee posts are still waiting for signs.

Most holes play straight: doglegs on #8, #9, #12, and #15 from the long tee - makes for a very tough drive.

PICK IS BEST NEW COURSE!

5+    6/20/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: HIGHFLYER
Pros: * Courses has concrete tees

* Offers every type of shot you might use.

* Great elevation changes

* Does not need to "mature" or get "worn in" like the Moodgolf courses always seem to need. It's great now.

* Pro and Am tees

* Has every kind of hole from wooded, to open, uphill, and downhill.
Cons: * From what I hear it will not be open year round.

* Has some issues with location marking signs.

* The rough is really rough on some holes! Make sure you plan your shot carefully or throw a disc that is not a crucial part of your game.
Other Thoughts: Course is has everything you'd want. Even a beginner can really get some quality practice.
Keep up the good work Paul!

Extreme happiness

2-4    6/23/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: SuperG7
Pros: -Pro and Am concrete tee pads
-Some long bombers like hole 18
-Most shots from Am are make-able in 2 or 3 shots
-Secluded area minus houses to the right of the course
Cons: -FINDING YOUR DISC IN THE ROUGH IS HARD, i suggest not playing this course if you cannot find your disc easy because you will lose it
-Trash cans
-You can physically see peoples houses starting on hole 13 or 14
Other Thoughts: In the times i have went, my friends and i have lost many discs and found many others. Even though i have lost some discs on this course it is by far my favorite 3 courses close to Columbus...

Cops do patrol the parking lot, but i do not think they will go on the course and havent ever seen them on the course.