Jacksonville, FL
Fore Palms DGC Share
Uploaded By: AJ_86 Hole #A (Taken 12/2010)
Hole A Long Tee: Get here by going along the tree line instead of ducking in to #6.

Beginner's Standpoint

5+    6/6/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: MOTHERBRAIN
Pros: -Good variety of holes. Most are fairly open and tyro-friendly, but there are a few tight shots that will teach the beginner the importance of disc control.
-Well-maintained. Really shows how disc golf is supposed to be, with beginner and pro concrete tees and clear markings on every hole. There's even a "putting green" near the first tee
-Friendly and active locals. I had someone come up to me as I was playing a solo round and introduce themselves and invite me out to play in the bi-weekly tournaments that the RCDGA puts on.
-24 holes. The extras are set up so that if you want to skip them and simply play the standard 18 it's easy to do so without any extra walking, but if you do then you're missing out. The extra holes are especially nice for beginners because with one exception they are very open and offer little chance to get into serious trouble.
-Well-planned layout. The front nine and the back nine both end at the parking lot, which makes it easy to get a short round in if that's what you want. Also, as I already mentioned, the extra holes are set up so that they really do play as extras -- they're there if you want to play them, but if you don't, then you don't have to do any extra walking to skip them.
Cons: -There is a pond which comes heavily into play on holes 9 and 10. After losing a couple of discs to the nethery deep, I started skipping these two and will continue to do so until I become more confident in my game.
-Every hole is a par 3. For most holes that's a fair rating, but I personally feel there are a couple of holes that might be more fairly rated as a par 4. #16 is a good example. Even from the beginner tees I've never had a legitimately makeable putt for a par.
-The bi-weekly tournaments are held on Wednesday afternoon and Sunday morning. As a churchgoer this makes it pretty much impossible for me to participate.
-Lack of publicity. If I didn't have a friend who plays, I would probably have lived out my five years in Jacksonville without ever knowing that Ed Austin Park had a disc golf course, and I drive past it twice every day on the way to and from work. A sign out by the main road (if allowed) would probably be a good idea.
Other Thoughts: This is the only course I've played as of yet, so perhaps this is not the most objective rating. However, I can say that this course is a blast to play, and has set the bar very high for other courses. It's a perfect course on which to introduce someone to the game -- fun, challenging, and yet not so difficult as to be unfair to someone who is just starting out.

Fun in the Sun

1    2/19/2008   5/19/2009
Review By: Tyson
Pros: Great mix of holes, great use of land, challenging set up, muliplte tee pads, grip and rip on many holes, some techical shots, hyzer, anhyzer, birdie holes. I was in town to go on a cruise and very happy that I got to play this course. The local club is very into the sport and puts on the Jacksonville Open each year (great payouts/attendance). This was the first time I had played in sandy conditions and it took some getting use to. Very cool course and would go back anytime.
Cons: Signage was a bit confusing with holes being numbered with letters. Plenty of locals around, so they made sure I stayed on the right path.
Other Thoughts: Course really does have it all. If you are in Jacksonville, this is a must play!

5+    5/10/2009   5/10/2009
Review By: Joovie88
Pros: Very diverse, great atmosphere. lots of disc golfers around, people selling discs, pro's giving tips. Good Time.
Cons: All the holes are par 3, wish they had some more variation, very hard to drop strokes.

Great Course

5+    3/26/2011   4/24/2009
Review By: elykmxpx1
This review was updated on 3/26/2011
Pros: Well maintained by local disc golf club, friendly people, you can drink beer if your careful, nice mix of open holes and technical-more narrow and water holes, 24 holes
Cons: Gets crowded sometimes and you have to wait to play, decent amount of foot traffic on path through park so be careful not to hit kids, adults and pets.
Other Thoughts: This is my local course and I love playing it. Hopefully the city of Jax will open up another course in one of its 100's of parks.

B for Boring (slightly)

1    4/9/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

Great DGC

2-4    4/7/2009   4/14/2009
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: This course is huge and very well maintained. There are 24 holes and none of them are repeats. Every hole has two tee pads, two tee locations, two benches and two tee signs. There are open holes with some distance and there are tunnel holes. The course was originally 18 holes but they added 6 holes after hole 6 and hole 15, holes A.B,C,D,E and F.
It used to be a golf course so there are elevation changes that aren't extreme but add some challenge. There is also a lake that comes into play for a couple holes and gives a nice risk/reward factor.
Lastly, there is ample parking and a nice course map to get you started. Course navigation is also not a problem.
Cons: It's hot in FLA so I would recommend sun screen and a hat. This course is also very close to the ocean and a large water way so it can be windy as hell, all of the locals have a plethora of over stable drivers, don't forget yours. The bathroom situation also sucks, they are usually locked.
Other Thoughts: I played here for the first time during the Jacksonville Open, the tournament was set up extremely well and I had a blast. The park is easy to find and fun to play. It was long and some people got a bit tired after 48 holes. I will be making the trip back up to Jacksonville a lot more often to play this course.

1    2/4/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: Marc B.
Pros: Good layout, fun course, with variety of shots, long/short. nice teepads and signs. Well kept course with a great club RCDGO. Not many wooded holes. Plays through an old ball golf course. Technical open shots require accuracy and placement. Water on a few holes.
Cons: No shade. Gets very hot in summer.

Florida Fun!

1    12/22/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: Tee Boxes- Nice long cement for distance drives. Pro/Amateur Tee's for every hole.

"Amenities"- Trash cans, Bag holders and benches on almost every hole.

Baskets- Excellent Mach3 cages with multiple locations. All level and appropriate height.

Signage and Flow- GREAT! Each hole had a map with distance from both tees and flight path. Holes 9 & 18 loop back to the beginning for ease of play.

Shot Variety- Good. There is definitely a chance for a player to use every type of shot in his repertoire as well as all disc types.

Elevation and Foliage- There is some nice elevation changes(especially for FL) and a few wooded holes with some form of trees on almost every hole.

Lettered Holes- I didn't have time to play these, but they looked sweet!

FUN COURSE!
Cons: No scorecards that I saw. (brought my own)
There is a map at the beginning, but none to take with you. I was able to navigate by following the group in front of me, but it's not difficult either way.
Tee Obstructions- I found that there were obstructions within 30' of the tee box on a couple of holes which I didn't like, but didn't make the hole unplayable by any means.
Restrooms- There are some on-site, but they were out of commission when I was there.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty sweet course that is well maintained and beautiful to walk around. I'd highly suggest it to anyone from the pro to the amateur even if just passing through Jacksonville it's worth the stop!

Florida fun

1    12/6/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: Jonny_Dread
Pros: This is how all courses should be. Varity of open and wooded holes, long and short. 24 holes. Nice baskets, good sinage. putting green. I like the bag holders at every hole, seems to be a florida thing from what I have seen. A lot of people playing this course... thats a good thing. People brings disc's to sell at course if you hit it at the right time. Good, well balanced course.
Cons: Need some pool nets by the lake you throw over to pull your disc out. (just a thought).
Other Thoughts: Play this course! Not to many like it in this area. Drivers, midrange, and putters... you need them all.

Nice course

2-4    10/3/2008   10/11/2008
Review By: 33tango
This review was updated on 4/28/2009
Pros: Maintained course with adequate facilities.
Great flow, course loops back to starting/parking area at #9 and 18. Baskets in great shape. Many holes here favor big arms. Practice basket next to #1. Lots of benches and places to hang your bag. Course map at start of course. Concrete tee pads.
Cons: Too open, few holes offer the requirement for a variety of shots.
Some "Next Tee" arrow signs would help a lot.
#1 Abutting kiddie play area
Other Thoughts: I had to throw very wide to avoid the group of kids playing touch football at the kiddie play area, or be the mean old disc golfer and chase off a dozen people so I could throw #1 drive.

Restrooms available nearby, but they are what you might expect for public municipal facilities.