Blue Springs, MO
Wilbur Young Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #2 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #2 Long Tee

It's not you, Blue Springs...it's me. (Maybe.)

1    9/12/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Nice amenities. Concrete tee pads and multiple tee positions throughout, making this part easy for all ages/skill levels.

In a very nice part of town; rest assured, you'll be fine playing here. No neighborhood worries.

Baskets were painted bright orange and in great condition when we were there, making them easy to find.

Ample parking very close by.

The pond by 10 has a little dock near it, and we enjoyed taking a minute to sit out there and watch the fish. It was a nice touch and we liked it a lot; very pretty scenery on this part of the course!

The tees and signs are all in good condition; pathways are mulched well.

With the exception of 10, the "water hazards" really aren't that bad and add a nice element to the game. I thought the designer used the water available to him well.

I really disliked this course personally, but I had the feeling that if I was a better player, I might have appreciated the challenge.
Cons: I personally felt like the course did a poor job of giving variety. Since the course is in a really compact area compared to, say, Legacy Park a few miles away, there's not a lot of options for the designer to use, and so you're mostly throwing into the woods. On some of the holes, there's literally trees right in front of the tee boxes that are almost impossible for less experienced players to throw around. I don't mind a few tunnel shots here and there, but it felt like that's all we were playing all night and it was annoying.

The signage was unhelpful in many cases, and frequently, you'll walk up on 3 or even 4 concrete slabs wondering where in the heck you're supposed to be throwing from. I know a lot of players like multiple tee boxes, but personally, I think combining that with multiple pin positions makes it just too confusing. The flow of the course was very unnatural and didn't seem to make sense to us.

Navigation is sucky on many holes, largely due to the cramped nature of the course. We were left wandering around frequently, wondering where to go. Pay attention to the brick arrows at the bottom of most of the baskets, they'll help you out at least a bit.

Sandwiched between a high school and two very busy roads, the course was noisy, and we didn't like hearing sirens, car horns, traffic, etc, constantly during our time on the course. I realize they couldn't help this, but it's annoying if you're not used to it.

I don't know if BS has let this course go in recent months, but we found the weeds, woods, and rough to be almost overwhelming. Maybe if they trimmed it back a bit?

There is a NASTY old barbed wire fence right by 5, and I had an errant drive land outside it. While the fence is clipped of its sharp edges, minimizing the pain that can come from it, we still had to hop the fence and forage around some woods a mere 3-6 feet from AA Highway to find my driver. I think the setting is a real detriment to the course, and this part in particular was really aggravating for us.

Playground and road come into play from 8-10. Again, don't bean someone's snowflake in the head with your mid-range disc.
Other Thoughts: I was expecting great things from this park, and I hate to be in the minority, but I didn't think it was that great. If you enjoy tunnel shots and the like, you'll probably like this course. However, we just found it infuriating, and kept sailing disc after disc into the numerous trees.

Long stretches of wooded holes felt incredibly repetitive. While the water hazards were used fairly well, we just did not like the sameness feeling. You have to consider that while nothing but wide-open easy shots is boring for an advanced player, nothing but tunnel shots and technical work can be maddening for beginners. I've played other courses that do both very well, and this was not one of them. More variety and a chance to rip a driver a good 200-250 feet would be a welcome opportunity here.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I left this course frustrated, underwhelmed, and irritated. More advanced players might really like the chance to work on their technical skills. Beginners, beware the multiple trees!