Blue Springs, MO
Wilbur Young Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Porkchop Hole #18 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #18 Mid-Fairway

Technically awesome

5+    12/30/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: pro and am pads at each hole except 8 which is a short hole as is, signs are awesome, with markers for which spot basket is in, clearly marked signs teepads. Bricks with arrow pointing toward next tee at bottom of each hole placement, Mach 5 with orange top and basket easy to see catch great. Land is great, design is great
Cons: Nope
Other Thoughts: Course is very technical, there are a lot of golf shots, good place to work on your game, if you are a local playing the short tees is an excellent way to work on short game. If you are east of KC this is a must play. When playing after 7 hoe 8 and 9 are a short walk across the road. then come back across the road to 10 after finishing 11 walk back toward tee 1 and 12 is right there

A Masterpiece!

1    10/29/2010   4/25/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
My Enjoyment: 9.2 (out of 10)

Design
*Terrain- this course is much more wooded than most of the KC metro courses, so it adds nice variety to the area. Even though there are many trees, it's more open with nice grass, so I classify this terrain as Mixed rather than Woods,
* Tees- 2 sets. Black are long, white are short. Holes from the short tees are quite a bit shorter, so they'd be very good for lower skill levels.
*2 basket positions for each hole (plus a 3rd position on hole 9). Combine this with the 2 sets of tees and you have tremendous layout variety! The layout I played had baskets in a mixture of short and long positions.
*Elevation changes are fantastic. They have the ideal balance of 9 Up and 9 Down with quite a few Down-Up or Up-Down holes in the mix.
*Fairway designs are consistently excellent. Almost all of the fairways are well cleared.
*Beauty-the course is on a beautiful piece of property!
*Length variety is excellent. The layout I played had 2<199/ 8 of 200-299/ 6 of 300-399/ 2 >400
*Greens- offer many nice challenges.
*Water- there's some water too, on 4 holes. On hole 17 I absolutely loved the beauty that the pond added!
*Being close to a high school is a great way to introduce younger players to the game!

Basics
*Tee signs- simply fantastic! World class with colorful hole maps.
*Tee pads- long and wide concrete. Excellent!
*Baskets- awesome orange dipped DGA Mach Vs!
*The additional basket on hole 1 allows you to play either position any time you want. Awesome!

Amenities
*Map of the course- a fantastic colorful, accurate map is available online! There's also a gorgeous large course map and a rules sign at the start of the course.
*Current basket position marker- they use an ingenious system of red or blue tags on the tee signs to show what position the basket is in.
*When I played they were constructing a pavilion to use during tournaments. Nice!
*Wood bridges- even though the course is new they've already installed some nice bridges. This park has lots of resources!
*Tree protectors- some vulnerable trees trunks have a wire grid wrapped around them to protect them from disc hits. A thoughtful touch!
Cons:
These are very small points and not really a big deal:
-Many baskets were hard to see from the tee (but the map shows you where to look). In the configuration I played I couldn't see 1, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16.
-Navigation: overall the course flows well, but at a few points it was unclear where the next tee was. Looking at the map easily showed me the way, so I'd suggest the first timers print out a map to bring with them.
-On a few holes car noise from the road nearby (AA) detracts a little from the feeling of being out in nature.
Long tees Course Level = Blue (most suited for Advanced players rated 925-975)

For such a new course it amazes me how much work they've done and how far they've already come. I could quibble and suggest a few small improvements such as adding a practice basket as well as more benches and trash cans, but I wouldn't be surprised if those already in the plans anyway.

This course solidifies John Theiss' status as a Master Course Designer! Well done, sir. This is the kind of course that I was sad to finish, and it's now among my Top Favorites. Wilbur Young rivals Waterworks as my favorite course in the KC metro area. It's that enjoyable! If I had limited time and could only play one course in the area I'd be hard pressed whether to choose Wilbur Young or Water Works. They each have different character, so the choice would come down to what type I wanted to play that day. I had a fantastic time from start to finish and I'd highly recommend people to play here for a first class experience!

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My Enjoyment Ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole ratings and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my review philosophy and rating notes at Disc Golf Course Reviews