Blue Springs, MO
Wilbur Young Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #6 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #6 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Nice course for a wide range of skill levels!

1    6/27/2014   6/27/2014
Review By: chaddyboy_2000
Pros: Almost every hole has two tee pads, a long and a short, as well as several potential pin placements. This allows for great variety depending on how you want to play it, and makes the course interesting for both skilled players and beginners.

I also really enjoy wooded courses, and the whole course snakes around in a wooded area. The fairways range from being fairly open, to being very narrow, to just being full of trees with no real "right" path to the basket. Also, on of the few wooded courses I've played where the fairways aren't dirt; most of the course has nicely mown grass.

The use of the water here was well done on the couple holes where it comes into play. You can either be bold and launch across, or you can be conservative and lay up or go around. You also don't need a rocket arm to get across, but it's just long enough to perhaps make you nervous about losing a disc.

Great signage at each hole showing all the distances and pin locations. Also, navigation is pretty easy due to brick arrows placed at the base of each basket. You would easily lose your way if they weren't there, so it was much appreciated.

The bright orange baskets are always appreciated as well! Very visible!
Cons: I mentioned that the multiple tee boxes was a plus. It seems like some of the short boxes are ridiculously short, making them not at all interesting to play. There are several holes where it seems they could have just stuck with a single tee box, as I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to play the short one. Some are within 100 feet and a completely clear shot.

At least on my last trip, an overwhelming number of holes required a left-hand fade, so variety wasn't that great on that particular visit. It seemed like the course could have been better had they varied the pin placements differently, so it may not always be an issue depending on which pins are currently in use.

Also, if you like some wide open holes, you won't find them here. I personally don't mind a more technical course, but sometimes it's nice to just be able to launch one, and some people may be frustrated at the lack of opportunity for that here. I was regularly overshooting everything with my drives here.

The course could also use some benches and garbage cans.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a solid, shorter technical course to practice your precision! Also a friendly place to bring newer players to play the shorter tee boxes with them.

It's not you, Blue Springs...it's me. (Maybe.)

1    9/12/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Nice amenities. Concrete tee pads and multiple tee positions throughout, making this part easy for all ages/skill levels.

In a very nice part of town; rest assured, you'll be fine playing here. No neighborhood worries.

Baskets were painted bright orange and in great condition when we were there, making them easy to find.

Ample parking very close by.

The pond by 10 has a little dock near it, and we enjoyed taking a minute to sit out there and watch the fish. It was a nice touch and we liked it a lot; very pretty scenery on this part of the course!

The tees and signs are all in good condition; pathways are mulched well.

With the exception of 10, the "water hazards" really aren't that bad and add a nice element to the game. I thought the designer used the water available to him well.

I really disliked this course personally, but I had the feeling that if I was a better player, I might have appreciated the challenge.
Cons: I personally felt like the course did a poor job of giving variety. Since the course is in a really compact area compared to, say, Legacy Park a few miles away, there's not a lot of options for the designer to use, and so you're mostly throwing into the woods. On some of the holes, there's literally trees right in front of the tee boxes that are almost impossible for less experienced players to throw around. I don't mind a few tunnel shots here and there, but it felt like that's all we were playing all night and it was annoying.

The signage was unhelpful in many cases, and frequently, you'll walk up on 3 or even 4 concrete slabs wondering where in the heck you're supposed to be throwing from. I know a lot of players like multiple tee boxes, but personally, I think combining that with multiple pin positions makes it just too confusing. The flow of the course was very unnatural and didn't seem to make sense to us.

Navigation is sucky on many holes, largely due to the cramped nature of the course. We were left wandering around frequently, wondering where to go. Pay attention to the brick arrows at the bottom of most of the baskets, they'll help you out at least a bit.

Sandwiched between a high school and two very busy roads, the course was noisy, and we didn't like hearing sirens, car horns, traffic, etc, constantly during our time on the course. I realize they couldn't help this, but it's annoying if you're not used to it.

I don't know if BS has let this course go in recent months, but we found the weeds, woods, and rough to be almost overwhelming. Maybe if they trimmed it back a bit?

There is a NASTY old barbed wire fence right by 5, and I had an errant drive land outside it. While the fence is clipped of its sharp edges, minimizing the pain that can come from it, we still had to hop the fence and forage around some woods a mere 3-6 feet from AA Highway to find my driver. I think the setting is a real detriment to the course, and this part in particular was really aggravating for us.

Playground and road come into play from 8-10. Again, don't bean someone's snowflake in the head with your mid-range disc.
Other Thoughts: I was expecting great things from this park, and I hate to be in the minority, but I didn't think it was that great. If you enjoy tunnel shots and the like, you'll probably like this course. However, we just found it infuriating, and kept sailing disc after disc into the numerous trees.

Long stretches of wooded holes felt incredibly repetitive. While the water hazards were used fairly well, we just did not like the sameness feeling. You have to consider that while nothing but wide-open easy shots is boring for an advanced player, nothing but tunnel shots and technical work can be maddening for beginners. I've played other courses that do both very well, and this was not one of them. More variety and a chance to rip a driver a good 200-250 feet would be a welcome opportunity here.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I left this course frustrated, underwhelmed, and irritated. More advanced players might really like the chance to work on their technical skills. Beginners, beware the multiple trees!

Variety

1    8/7/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: djpatch28
Pros: Variety
2 tees and 2+ pin locations
Concrete pads and great, bright baskets
Easy to follow, with arrow bricks.
Cons: #10's pond! (Grrrr, I want my driver back)
Going across a parking lot to get to #8 and #9
Other Thoughts: My daughter's first play and my 4th. Very good challenge!

Fun & Technical

1    5/26/2013   5/27/2013
Review By: Tclarencebrown
Pros: This was a fun yet challenging course. The designer did a great job of using the hills, woods and surrounding rec facilities to create great lines. Each hole had a big tee sign which made it a bit easier to find your way to the next hole. The baskets were new and the tee pads were extra long.

Every hole but one had multiple pin locations and tee pads.
Cons: Although the tee signs were big, they did not clearly identify which hole location was being used. I feel that the distances were off as well.

At times the course was hard to navigate but not impossible.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you walk up on holes to double check to see if the sign illustrations are accurate.

Fun, challenging short-to-mid distance course

1    3/31/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: kcmike
Pros: - Excellent signage, two concrete tees on each hole. Baskets painted bright orange, which was a big help with all the terrain.
- A big variety in play from hole to hole. One hole may play to the left down a hill, right up a hill, a straight shot with narrow window, and water hazards.
- Fairways are clear of hazards like stumps, roots, etc. The trees just to the side of the fairways have either been thinned out or weren't too thick to begin with. Even if you miss the fairway, you shouldn't be spending a ton of time looking for discs.
- Great course to work on your mid/short game. You'll be able to tee off with a mid or fairway driver several times. Accuracy is important on this course, so this is a great place to work on that.
- Arrows at the base of each basket pointing you to the next tee box.
Cons: - A bit difficult to navigate, as you're consistently surrounded by trees and the next tee isn't always in plain site.
- Course is very tightly packed, which in itself isn't a bad thing- just be careful you know which pin you're throwing to. Look at signage closely or you may wind up throwing to the wrong basket.
- Didn't see a public restroom on the grounds, and very few places to sit down. The course plays pretty quickly, so it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but on a 100-degree day or if you're playing multiple rounds, those things might be more important.
Other Thoughts: Course is pretty easy to get to. From I-70, take Adams Dairy Parkway south and take your first left AFTER 40 highway. You may want to bring a throwaway disc or two the first couple times you play. There are two or three holes with small ponds that you'll be throwing over or close to.

Longer Down Under

1    11/23/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: jayhawker737
This review was updated on 1/3/2013
Pros: There are some great technical shots, but also some very good longer shots with limited obstacles.
Good signage.
Cons: Sometimes hard to follow where the next teepad is after you finish the hole.
Land is limited.
The woods are pretty thick if you get caught in them.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing the course, but it is so far away from all the other KC courses, I wont be able to play it very often.

A Challenge!

1    11/10/2012   11/10/2012
Review By: bazillion
Pros: Technical? Did you say TECHNICAL??? You can't HANDLE the technical!!!!

Okay, so given that it's a technical course, where are the goodies? To start with, teepads. Two for each hole (I played the longs), all in great shape and more than long enough.

Then, tee signs. Clear, pretty, clean (not defaced), and accurate.

Next, pins. Bright orange, multiple placements on each hole.

Navigation: Good overall map at the start of the course, next-tee bricks in place at the base of each pin.

Miscellaneous: Good, sturdy bridges where needed, wood chips to mark many of the pathways.

Course design - an excellent, short technical course. A couple of water hazards (I managed to feed each of them a driver) and a good variety of LH and RH shots. Lots of uphill and downhill, a few holes with both.
Cons: The usual amenities were the main thing that this course lacks. There are few benches (I saw a few stumps here and there), no water, no restrooms, no bag-hangers.

No long bomb opportunities - I don't recall seeing anything over 500 feet, even long tee to long pin placement. That's probably because the land area is small and it was all the designers could do to shoehorn 18 holes of any size into it.

Speaking of tightness, there are many places where kick-outs could wind up in the middle of an adjacent fairway, so if you can't hit the lines, keep track of your disc and holler "fore" if you see it sailing off into oblivion.
Other Thoughts: This course would rate 4.0 or 4.5 were it not for the missing amenities. Overall I was very impressed and I'm planning to return - my first round here was awful (20-40 mph wind but hey, I played cr@ppy and that's all there is to it) and I feel a distinct need to salvage my honor! I consider myself a fairly good technical DGer but this place taught me that I ain't all I'm cracked up to be.

nicely maintained

1    10/12/2012   10/14/2012
Review By: blowers04
Pros:
-Great scenery.
-VERY well maintained course.
-Great signage make the course easy to follow.
-Well placed pins make all the holes challenging.
Cons:
-Water hazard on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: This overall is one of the nicest courses I have played. It is very well maintained and very clean. They have good signage to direct you around the course. The only thing I didn't like was the pond. Could have something to do with the two discs I sunk in it... Overall great course.

5+    7/8/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: tmattoon
Pros: The baskets are orange so easy to spot on the heavily wooded course. Two tee pads and multiple pin locations on almost every hole. One or two open water holes mixed into the very technical course. Heavily wooded so it's a nice change from other nearby courses with tons finesse shots and not much need for power.
Cons: Not to many open wholes. If you are having an off day could get frustrating with hitting trees. Easy to loose discs on almost every hole.

Get schooled!

1    3/28/2012   3/31/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course is set on a school property, along pretty heavily wooded hillside with ponds, streams, and little bridges crossing here and there. It's a terrific setting for a course.

There are two concrete tee pads for every hole (except one), but the short pads are obviously intended for kids since some of the distances are under 100 feet. If you're old enough to drive, you better be throwing from the long tees. There are multiple positions for most holes.

The fairways vary from pretty open to very tight, but most are pretty wooded. There is a high degree of risk/reward on this course. On a couple holes I nailed the gap and got the birdie. Other times I got a ricochet and ended up with a 5. I never felt the fairways were unfair; I earned my bad scores.

He course didn't favor righties or lefties. In fact on several holes, you needed to throw right to left and left to right on subsequent shots.

Navigation here was okay. I'd bring a map, or pull up the online map on your phone if you can.

The tee signs were good, showing distances and basket locations. Baskets are all orange and stand out against the green background.
Cons: You could lose a disc on two of the holes along the pond, but neither forces you to throw over the pond.

Water drains down the hills here, and in a couple places it was a little wet, even without much rain in the few days before.

You can't play here during on school days during the day.
Other Thoughts: A good sign of the quality of a course is how much time you spend thinking about it after you play it. I was disappointed I couldn't play a second round to try out these holes again, and my shots and decisions kept running through my head for days after playing.

If you can't fathom throwing anything but your Boss or Nuke off the tee, this might not be your kind of course. But if you love risk/reward and thinking about the different options every fairway presents (which sometimes means playing it safe with a midrange or even a putter), you'll have a good time here. And you might be wondering why your school never had a course like this.

< Prev 1 2 3