Raleigh, NC
Cedar Hills Rotary Park Share
Hole #15 Tee: Straight downhill drive will keep you under par.

Precision Needed

5+    7/1/2014   11/21/2014
Review By: banger
Pros: Typical NC course that forces you to become precise and execute tight gaps. One of the oldest courses in the state and is really well put together for how small the park is. I enjoy playing course a lot and it has forced me to become more precise.
Cons: There have been reports of car break-ins around the park. Not a bad area but tends to have some hoodlums floating around.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy this course and recommend to anyone in the Raleigh, NC area.

Finesse over force

5+    9/26/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: 1Atom
Pros: Nice mix of shots with multiple tee pads, a few pin locations rotated monthly, and benches at every hole. New tee signs are are almost done getting sponsored and should enter the production stage soon.
Other Thoughts: I live near the course and check the pond on hole 7 from time to time. I can't promise I'll find your lost disc, but I'm always a gun for hire if you need someone to retrieve it.

Rough but solid

1    5/21/2012   11/29/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 hole course set mostly in the wooded portion of a seemingly heavily used park.
- Easy to find, plenty of parking, bulletin board/kiosk, pavillion, etc.
- Excellent use of the woods to create some fun lines, defined fairways, challenging throws, etc. - these holes were well thought out and provide a lot of variety
- A few open holes are mixed in letting you stretch your arm a bit, but they still have OB on the sides to consider, which is great - too many courses I feel have open holes where you can be 100 feet off-target and still be in bounds and have any easy look at your approach
- A lot of different shots are needed/encountered here - left, right, uphill and downhill - you need a wide arsenal of throws to score well
- Multiple tees on some (most?) holes create some variety
- I think some of the holes had multiple basket positions (only 1 basket at a time), but it was tough to tell without tee signs on most holes (see below)
- Concrete tee pads with solid footing
- Water in play on a couple holes (long pond throwover on one hole and a small creek near the OB line on another)
- Demanding - I like wooded courses that require finesse and this is definitely one of them - you need to be precise with many shots in order to succeed
- Some benches and trashcans - some sort of Boy Scout project over near holes 10/11 with an installed "bag holding post" and maybe there was more to it that I'm forgetting
- A few holes were real solid and fun - hole #2 was a fun downhill hyzer (RHBH) with a solid chance for birdie, hole #7 requires a 200 foot or so carry over a pond to the basket set just on the shore with trees guarding behind it, hole #8 plays as a RHBH anny using a power line lattice tower as a fun, change-of-pace obstacle, hole #12 is a fun, narrow downhill tunnel with an OB road punishing long drives, hole #16 has thick brush just in front of the tee and little OB fence along the left side with the pin tucked amidst some slopes and ditches in a more open area
- Basket #18 spits you right back near the parking lot, in view of hole #1
Cons: - After driving through the nice little neighborhood to the parking lot, I was surprised to find that this park felt like a run-down dump - dark, rough and shady
- Tee signs were mostly there (some completely missing), but mostly useless - too many of them were broken and busted up to be helpful - I had to walk up the fairways many times to see where I was throwing (baskets blend into the wooded background)
- No overall course map online or at the park - blind navigation was probably the worst out of any course I've played thusfar - no next tee signs that I recall - I think I blazed a new trail from basket 6 to tee 7 - walked in circles for 10 minutes after hole 7 looking for hole 8 and had to ask guys teeing off on hole 11 where the hell I needed to go - went on some crazy roundabout way over a bridge/walkway thing near the playground to find tee #17 (or maybe it was 18 - can't remember) - I know if a map is put up at the course, it may be vandalized, but at least get one online or try to have guides/signs at the baskets
- Footing was rough in some spots with stumps and roots tripping me up a few times
Other Thoughts: - Definitely some helpful folks in the area - ran into two guys and a dog early on the front 9 who pointed me in the right direction and recommended I get over to Buckhorn since I was in town for a few days - the guys near 10 and 11 easily helped me find my way as well

This was a very solid course design itself, but just lacked some of the things that make for an overall better DG experience. I suppose this is understandable if non DG-people are ruining signs, throwing trash, etc. which is unfortunate. If I'm ever back in town, I would definitely stop again, though.

Nice, fun course

1    10/16/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: SirMartin1st
Pros: Well designed hole layouts. Even though I much enjoy more open courses, this is a great wooded course. Going off the fairway does not mean going into over grown brush, stick, thorns, etc.. Which is great.
Like I said I loved the hole designs. The course was well maintained and was a good walk.
I had no problems parking and the course was not busy.
Cons: I am not a pro by any means. I do not have a PDGA number. I found the pars to be higher than the hole should be.
On a par 5, I drove it pin high just missed off the left. I had a putt for double-eagle but missed. I had a tap in eagle. Same problems on some of the par 4s. Easy to drive to the basket and I had tap in eagles.

My biggest complaint is the lack of directions of the course. I had a hard time finding the next tee box on several occasions and I could never find hole #8, just went to hole #9. They could simply spray paint a bar on the basket toward the path to next tee box. I have seen this done on other wooded courses.

I cannot blame the course or the local club but there is much vandalism and missing hole signage. Some holes I had to guess the dogleg, par, and distance. So I guessed par 3s and hoped the fairway was the right one. Perhaps paint the distance and par on the tee box.
Other Thoughts: I just moved to Raleigh and this course I feel is a must play. I will enjoy playing this course again and I cannot wait to see what its like in the summer.
I would defiantly recommend anyone to go play the course.

cedar me please

2-4    7/28/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: sharkking15
Pros: nice course
good variety of different style holes
works well around park
practice hole
Cons: mad amount of trees
watch out for roots
could use mor signage/markers
Other Thoughts: good course to challenge you, best to use overhand and side arm throws, careful for the pond, sont want to go in that water DIRTY!!! fun course to play when you have sometime off and eant to get away and let out some stress.

Cedars and Hills

5+    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 7/31/2013
Pros: Layout - I think there's a decent mixture of shots out there. On about half of the holes you'll need to the work disc in some manner with the rest being basically straight.

Many holes give you different options on how to attack the fairway by giving you wooded but defined fairways with a high canopy.

Some solid elevation changes on the course, a few areas that drop off quickly mid fairway and behind the baskets.

The course does a good job of creating risk/reward with the greens and basket locations, several baskets are near OB or sit right on the crest of a hill.

Some tricky OB placement on a few holes that can cause danger if you run at the basket.

It's not a long course but the longer holes are mixed in nicely to keep everything from being shorter shots. There's a few par 4's thrown in the mix where you'll need to place your drive in a good place to get an easier approach.

There's multiple tee pads on some holes and some holes have alternate baskets. The longer pads can really stress the accuracy of your shot or make you move the disc more.

I'd say the course leans towards more of a technical style but the course isn't overly difficult, you will need to place your shots really well to grab birdies though. Casual players should have a good time here and not be overwhelmed.

Overall from a strict design standpoint the course is really well done.

Equipment - The main teepads are concrete and pretty big. The baskets are older but most still catch pretty good There are benches and traschans throughout the course. Navigation isn't an issue because there are defined pathways and most basket to tee walks are short.

Atmosphere - The course is in okay shape despite its age, there is litter around the course but it's not that bad. You'll see everything from old trees to rolling hills and a small pond. The course does a good job of keeping most of the holes away from other park activities and pedestrians out of the way.
Cons: Layout - There's not enough mixture in terms of open to wooded. Many of the wooded holes are more of the defined fairway types but I like to have some longer bomb holes thrown in the mix.

About half of the shots are basically straight on. That's probably the biggest drawback to the design.

You play a few holes in close proximity to parking lots/park road.

Equipment - The signs haven't been redone in a long time and they should be; some just aren't there anymore The short pads are not high quality.

Atmosphere - The park is older and its age shows when you're out there. There's a growing erosion problem on some parts with a lot of exposed routes and in a way parts look run down because it's seen so much use. It's a really beautiful park in the fall but not one of the more pristine courses in the area.

The course gets lots of traffic, think about what time you go.

You're never really secluded out there and that's one thing I look for in courses. You're next to parking lots, playgrounds, ball fields quite a bit even though the course was designed well to keep people using those facilities out of the way.
Other Thoughts: It's a fun course and that's the biggest thing going for it. Really well designed but showing it's age. Needs some TLC.

Favorite Holes -

#2 - It's a big RtoL Fade shot down a tunnel that dumps down a hill. It's a fun and good looking hole

#7 - It's the pond hole and from the long tees you'll need a good drive to get it across and close. Watch out for putts coming back towards the pond.

#11 - Big hyzer on an open hole with OB behind the basket and woods on the left. Fun shot.

#13 - Up hill and long, probably the hardest hole on the course and you'll feel good with a 3.

#18 - Good finishing hole that requires a precise drive from the long tee to set up the approach.

One of my Favorites!

5+    4/10/2011   5/24/2012
Review By: jmitch
Pros: Love the mix of holes, some easy and harder.
Like how the course starts with shorter holes and gets longer to help me get going with a cold arm (get your deuces early!)
Nice throw over hold with basket close to water.
Cons: Some of the holes need some maintenance (overgrown).
Better tee pads

Other Thoughts: great course, I usually play there while I'm in Raleigh visiting family.

Challenging for all levels

2-4    4/7/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: kdizzle1337
Pros: -Several long tee's
-Tight wooded shots
-Lots of birdie possibilities
-Water hole!
Cons: -Signage missing or destroyed.
-Some foliage have overgrown the fairway in spots
Other Thoughts: My favorite raleigh course so far! And the only one with a water hazard.

Enjoyable

5+    2/25/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: vonDrehle
Pros: - This course has a very good variety of holes and elevations that require you to use different types of shots you might not usually use.
- Many of the holes will reward accuracy and touch over pure power which is very nice
- Benches on many of the holes and the occasional bag hook that an Eagle Scout put in (Though I think he could have done 18 :D)
- It has some legitimate par 4's that require 2 good shots for a chance at birdie.
Cons: - Many of the signs have been vandalized or are simply missing. This is a shame because I bet most don't realize 8 is actually an island hole using the large logs as the OB line.
- I found some of the holes on the back nine a little repetitive on the lines of just having to throw straight and down hill.
- The course can be crowded at times and occasionally you may have someone park at one of the other lots and start their round in the middle of the course.
Other Thoughts: I have been playing this course since I have been a student at NC State and I have always enjoyed it. It is a great course to just take out your mid-range disc and work on your technique. If you are in the Triangle area I would definitely recommend giving this course a try.

1    2/20/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This is a very enjoyable course! There is a nice mix of everything to keep it interesting the whole way. There is a nice flow and beaten paths so you never feel like a map is needed.
Other Pros:
- great use of elevation
- clean and beautiful with garbage cans
- benches and nice tee pads, some pro tees
- fairways are very reasonable
- risk/reward with a water hole
- variety including open/wooded, turns, and distances
-nice playground and tennis courts centrally located to the course
- extremely friendly locals
Cons: The biggest con is the tee signs are heavily vandalized. There are a few blind shots where the tee signs would help but overall it really didn't effect us because the fairways are well defined and easy to figure out. Also, it started getting crowded by 9 am.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole was #7 over the pond, it is just far enough to make you nervous but the basket is near the water so an overshoot puts you in the trees. I love the risk/ reward of that hole! The park is tucked in a very nice neighborhood. I had a great time and was very pleased with my entire time here.