Raleigh, NC
Cedar Hills Rotary Park Share
Hole #1 Tee: Short, tight wooded hole. Drop off right behind the basket.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

1    9/10/2014   9/22/2014
Review By: Jaydo
Pros: Challenging. Easy to find your way around.
Cons: Not a lot of open shots here. Watch out for the water. Very closed in course.
Other Thoughts: I would play again. Only played once and enjoyed it, just wish there were a couple of holes you could air it out off the tee.

Fun course tucked away

1    4/20/2014   5/17/2014
Review By: jeditden
Pros: -Decent mix of open and wooded holes.
-Multiple tee boxes/pins and they had a sign in the parking lot letting you know which pin was set up.
-Hole 8 makes good use of the cell tower in front of it by basically calling it OB.
-Hole 9 was a good open straight shot after a bunch of fairly wooded holes. Good change up.
Hole 11 had a water fountain right next to the baseball field. Perfect place to keep me from getting parched.
-Mostly Concrete tee pads, which always feel superior and make a course feel more "official" IMHO.
-I liked all the different benches.
Cons: -Some fairways seem especially tight. Hole 10 comes to mind. I know it's basically a straight shot, but it's maybe 7-8 feet wide. Hole 4 wasn't much better either.
-Hole 7 makes you cross a skeezy lake if you want any hope of par. I can throw 200' on average and I didn't want to risk it.
-Some of the alternate boxes (Maybe old ones I don't know) were made with paver blocks. But they had this sun groove design carved in them. Not conducive to any kind of walk up shot style.
Other Thoughts: -We went on Easter Sunday and there were a couple of groups out there. I imagine the park sees some good action on non-holidays too.
-I liked the course just fine. Maybe a little general upkeep could be used. Some garbage strewn about. There were also some old bag holders but almost all of them were broken.
-This has nothing to do with the course or rating , but just a general heads up. I use my phone for a scorecard and it fell out of my hand on Hole 17 less than 3 feet to the soft dirt ground and totally shattered my screen. Nuts to me.

probably best course in Raleigh city limits

2-4    12/17/2013   12/18/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - decent variation. Several holes have multiple pads. There are multiple pin positions on several holes as well. Seems to favor RHBH, but most of the holes are straight, tunnel shots. Mostly a wooded course, but there are a few open shots.
- good use of elevation. Kind of a rolling up or down feel on a majority of the holes.
- there are many access points/parking areas, so if you know the park well (I don't, so I couldn't offer suggestions), you could start, not at hole 1, and play an abbreviated round and end right at your car.
- there is a water hole - shouldn't be too challenging, but if you shank your shot - bye-bye disc. The next hole has a mando cell tower enclosure to throw around. Not too difficult to avoid, but different.
- big thumbs up for the new signs. Hadn't played here in a while, and it was pretty ghetto before the new signs were up. Hope they aren't vandalized.
Cons: - course is a little short. definitely a par 3 course. pins were in short position, but the long pads were not super challenging. Could possibly see some of the long-long combos being a little more challenging, but if you stay in the fairways, you will be fine. I think they did what they could with the amount of space that they have, and keep it from feeling too cramped.
Other Thoughts: I went back and forth between a 2.5 and 3.0. The new signs pushed it up to a 3. There are only 3 courses in the city limits - this gets the nod over Kentwood because it is a much tighter course (so more challenging) It's also about 25% longer. It's a fairly typical Raleigh course: wooded, shorter, not overly technical. It was fairly busy when I played (midday, weekday), there were probably about 6 or 7 groups on the course. Some parts of the course seem to have more trash - am guessing they are local pedestrian paths, so it seems "dirtier" then Kentwood (where all traffic on course is essentially DG) Other courses Triangle that I would consider similar (mostly based on length) are UNC, Buckhorn and Middle Creek. I would consider all these courses better choices (obviously depends on location - since course access plays a big part) for course layout and being more challenging.

Finesse over force

5+    9/26/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: 1Atom
Pros: Nice mix of shots with multiple tee pads, a few pin locations rotated monthly, and benches at every hole. New tee signs are are almost done getting sponsored and should enter the production stage soon.
Other Thoughts: I live near the course and check the pond on hole 7 from time to time. I can't promise I'll find your lost disc, but I'm always a gun for hire if you need someone to retrieve it.

Varied

1    6/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: chillbro15
Pros: Excellent variety of shots that make it memorable and enjoyable. you need a BUZZZ on this course. unless you have a MAKO. MAKO be good with FOREHAND approach
Cons: cant find holes 17 and 18
kind of sketchy and gloomy and eroded
Other Thoughts: dont lose your disc. do not attempt hole 7

Well Aged, Partly

2-4    6/3/2013   6/4/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 11/15/2013
Pros: The best part of Cedar Hills is definitely the stretch of holes at the end. The fun starts at 15, a long, narrow downhill drive where going off the fairway will certainly kill your score. 16 is easily my favorite on the course. It's a narrow shot at the start bu the finish is to the right and uphill. Parking one on the ledge to the right of the fairway is both fun and rewarding. The penultimate hole is a quick uphill joint that is shaped nicely.

That's an example, but the hole design here is generally good. It has all the trappings that are expected from a North Carolina course but it also has a few other things on the table. There are some open field shots. (One straight and uphill, another with a protected uphill green, another that requires a significant left hook to park) There is a serious water carry. Still it brings all the technical shots through heavy woods that most seek out in this area.

It all makes for a ton of variety. There are elevation changes large and small. There are holes that finish in either direction and there is a bunch of different distances that need to be hit accurately.
Cons: The amenities, however, are terrible to non-existent. Tees? Some of them are fine, but many are the Kentwood variety.(read: worthless. I'll tee off on the grass, thanks.

Teesigns? I can see where they once were. There are metal posts where signs are supposed to go. No signs though.

Bagracks? Not that I require this but it's just sad. The posts put in for bag hangers look quite new and most of them are already missing the hooks.

Navigation aids? There is one next tee sign. Most of the other holes follow an intuitive path but there are at least five times that I would have been lost without a map.

It's also slightly an issue that when one finds a tee, one is not sure whether it is the far tee, the short tee, or both. On holes where there are two tees, finding the other one is a challenge.

The other problem is that the path from the green frequently dumps you out on the middle of the next fairway. If there is someone playing ahead of you, you can unwittingly be in the line of fire.
Other Thoughts: It's an old course and in many cases the extras for the course have been outdated or ravaged by time. But the holes have aged well. If you can bring a map and are ok with an occasional bad tee/blind throw, you will have a great time.

downhill

2-4    1/21/2013   1/22/2013
Review By: clementsjd1
Pros: - Parking is plentiful
- activites for the whole family
- course layout is great
- paths are easy to follow from basket to teepad
- very scenic course
- multiple courses nearby
Cons: - signs at each teapad have graffiti, are old/worn/ or are missing all together.
- Trash all throughout the park
Other Thoughts: Maybe in the winter months they dont maintain it as much, in the summer this is a beautiful park, and course.

Rough but solid

1    5/21/2012   11/29/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 hole course set mostly in the wooded portion of a seemingly heavily used park.
- Easy to find, plenty of parking, bulletin board/kiosk, pavillion, etc.
- Excellent use of the woods to create some fun lines, defined fairways, challenging throws, etc. - these holes were well thought out and provide a lot of variety
- A few open holes are mixed in letting you stretch your arm a bit, but they still have OB on the sides to consider, which is great - too many courses I feel have open holes where you can be 100 feet off-target and still be in bounds and have any easy look at your approach
- A lot of different shots are needed/encountered here - left, right, uphill and downhill - you need a wide arsenal of throws to score well
- Multiple tees on some (most?) holes create some variety
- I think some of the holes had multiple basket positions (only 1 basket at a time), but it was tough to tell without tee signs on most holes (see below)
- Concrete tee pads with solid footing
- Water in play on a couple holes (long pond throwover on one hole and a small creek near the OB line on another)
- Demanding - I like wooded courses that require finesse and this is definitely one of them - you need to be precise with many shots in order to succeed
- Some benches and trashcans - some sort of Boy Scout project over near holes 10/11 with an installed "bag holding post" and maybe there was more to it that I'm forgetting
- A few holes were real solid and fun - hole #2 was a fun downhill hyzer (RHBH) with a solid chance for birdie, hole #7 requires a 200 foot or so carry over a pond to the basket set just on the shore with trees guarding behind it, hole #8 plays as a RHBH anny using a power line lattice tower as a fun, change-of-pace obstacle, hole #12 is a fun, narrow downhill tunnel with an OB road punishing long drives, hole #16 has thick brush just in front of the tee and little OB fence along the left side with the pin tucked amidst some slopes and ditches in a more open area
- Basket #18 spits you right back near the parking lot, in view of hole #1
Cons: - After driving through the nice little neighborhood to the parking lot, I was surprised to find that this park felt like a run-down dump - dark, rough and shady
- Tee signs were mostly there (some completely missing), but mostly useless - too many of them were broken and busted up to be helpful - I had to walk up the fairways many times to see where I was throwing (baskets blend into the wooded background)
- No overall course map online or at the park - blind navigation was probably the worst out of any course I've played thusfar - no next tee signs that I recall - I think I blazed a new trail from basket 6 to tee 7 - walked in circles for 10 minutes after hole 7 looking for hole 8 and had to ask guys teeing off on hole 11 where the hell I needed to go - went on some crazy roundabout way over a bridge/walkway thing near the playground to find tee #17 (or maybe it was 18 - can't remember) - I know if a map is put up at the course, it may be vandalized, but at least get one online or try to have guides/signs at the baskets
- Footing was rough in some spots with stumps and roots tripping me up a few times
Other Thoughts: - Definitely some helpful folks in the area - ran into two guys and a dog early on the front 9 who pointed me in the right direction and recommended I get over to Buckhorn since I was in town for a few days - the guys near 10 and 11 easily helped me find my way as well

This was a very solid course design itself, but just lacked some of the things that make for an overall better DG experience. I suppose this is understandable if non DG-people are ruining signs, throwing trash, etc. which is unfortunate. If I'm ever back in town, I would definitely stop again, though.

Thanksgiving Day

1    11/22/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: The Parkers
Pros: Above average challenge, More than 1 Concrete tee-pad on most holes, Well Planned Design. Fairly easy to find next tee pad from pins.
Cons: Maybe to hard for beginners, Mediocre shots could sometimes be buried or cause slow play because of looking for discs in leafs/thick brush. Vandalism on some of the tee signs and hole makers.
Other Thoughts: Thanks again to DG course review for helping me find a great new course to play (while out of town visiting family in Raleigh, NC). I was seeking a Challenging disc golf course and Cedar Hills delivered!! The only reason I could see why people have rated this course low is because of the difficulty, and maybe the broken tee markers. Overall, its a great course for any skill level and if your just starting simply play the Par posted on the tee signs. I personally would play every hole as a par 3 if I am fortunate enough to come back here again.

Nice, fun course

1    10/16/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: SirMartin1st
Pros: Well designed hole layouts. Even though I much enjoy more open courses, this is a great wooded course. Going off the fairway does not mean going into over grown brush, stick, thorns, etc.. Which is great.
Like I said I loved the hole designs. The course was well maintained and was a good walk.
I had no problems parking and the course was not busy.
Cons: I am not a pro by any means. I do not have a PDGA number. I found the pars to be higher than the hole should be.
On a par 5, I drove it pin high just missed off the left. I had a putt for double-eagle but missed. I had a tap in eagle. Same problems on some of the par 4s. Easy to drive to the basket and I had tap in eagles.

My biggest complaint is the lack of directions of the course. I had a hard time finding the next tee box on several occasions and I could never find hole #8, just went to hole #9. They could simply spray paint a bar on the basket toward the path to next tee box. I have seen this done on other wooded courses.

I cannot blame the course or the local club but there is much vandalism and missing hole signage. Some holes I had to guess the dogleg, par, and distance. So I guessed par 3s and hoped the fairway was the right one. Perhaps paint the distance and par on the tee box.
Other Thoughts: I just moved to Raleigh and this course I feel is a must play. I will enjoy playing this course again and I cannot wait to see what its like in the summer.
I would defiantly recommend anyone to go play the course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5