Rolla, MO
Lion's Club DGC Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #16 (Taken 6/2010)

1 2 3 Next >
 New Home Course!!!

5+    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: cooktastic
This review was updated on 9/23/2010
Pros: This course is brand new (baskets dropped yesterday)...so it is still a work in progress. I will definitely be revisiting this review and revising it once they address some of the issues that I know they are planning on addressing as the course progresses. I am thrilled that my home town finally has a legit 18 hole course to call my home course. We have a nice little complimentary 9 holer across town for about 9 months now...but before that you had to drive an hour or more to play anywhere. This course (when completely finished with the nice touches they are planning) is going to be really special. It has a little of everything. It is tightly wooded on almost all of the holes...with a few exceptions where you can stretch it out and throw some really long drives. And the tightly wooded holes have some very narrow fairways to thread the needle. The front nine is very RHBH anhyzer friendly. The baskets are Gateway Titans which I love. Those things will catch anything....very grabby. If you get a spitout on one of those you did not make a great effort. They also put PVC pipes sticking about 5 or 6 feet and really help with seeing the baskets. I love little touches like that on a course. They also have a couple of really nice bridges put in over creeks that they put a lot of work into...they look really nice. I love hole 16 (with the bridge before the basket). I think it is my favorite hole on the course. Great anhyzer shot over a creek (about 250 out???) up into a tight little clearing in the woods.
Cons: It really needs some more brush cleared out in areas (I know they are in the process of doing this). They also need to run a brush hog in a couple of those holes right off the fairway (lots of poison). At least I knew this and wore long pants and shirt today...even though I lost 10 pounds of water weight. You also need to spray for bugs out there. I swear this is a major metropolitan area for ticks out there. It must be an epicenter of population or something cause they are everywhere. There are a few of the teepads that need some work evening out. I know this will be taken care of when concrete ones are put in...but in the meantime a couple have some dangerous uneven spots and even a couple of stumps. Hole 14 has had a little 'clearing' cut through the end of the fairway brush in the cutback to the basket. I like the approach...but it is like playing pinball through the next shot. It is a completely luck shot to get it through there. I don't care if it is a tight window in there...but there at least needs to be some kind of window instead of a tree cut out here and there. Obviously when they get around to putting in the signs and benches and all the ammenities it will just make this course that much more special.

UPDATE: Most of my gripes have been addressed. Hole number 14 is no longer an 'unfair' pinball type shot at the end of the fairway...they have cleared out a nice window through the woods to the basket and opened up the green a bit to give you more space to putt all the way around it. Also, the concrete is in now and the pads are very nice. 12 foot long so plenty of run up room. Still no hole layout signs but rumor has it that those are still in the works?
Other Thoughts: I have only played it once...but I already really like it. Even in it's infancy I can tell this is a special course. It's great to have a home 18 now.

UPDATE: The more I have played this course...the more grateful I am that this is in my backyard to play anytime I want. I really like the balance of the course layout and just look forward to playing the game I love out here.

1 2 3 Next >