Asheville, NC
Avery's Spring Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 9/2010)

2-4    11/23/2011   3/10/2012
Review By: parTake30
Pros: one of my favorite courses. the first hole has 2 tee locations, one to the side of the driveway, or another above and behind the driveway (where the owners park) and is elevated well above the basket. 3 and 4 have baskets hanging from the trees, which is pretty cool, and little challenging when your not used to putting upwards. theres a lot of mando's and ob which makes it a little more challenging. i believe its the 8th hole...the short basket is located on top of a cut off stump. the designers of the course got pretty creative with the baskets. one of the holes on the back 9 has a homemade basket hanging underneath a small wooden structure with a roof, and from the looks of it, they can flip a switch and have the basket move left to right mechanically. i've noticed a lot of glow sticks hanging from baskets. i havnt played dg at night but i'd love to play this one.
Cons: the back 9 is pretty heavily wooded and a little tough to navigate. i believe its holes 3-6 that have a stream running to the left, so theres a chance of getting wet.
Other Thoughts: this course is on private property. the people are nice, but definitely call to ask permission first.

High on my FUNDEX

1    4/9/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: tick
Pros: Very High fun level! This course is packed togther like sardines in a can. Usually this
would be a negative, but in this case it works! Extensive use of OB markings, and mandos are the primary tools used to pack 18 holes into a very tight space on the front nine. Holes
10-18 are through a patch of woods where there are fewer mandos and little OB. The holes are carefully sculpted out of thick trees and brush, and show a commitment to ongoing improvement. The result is a string of 18 fun shots from tees. Lots of duece opportunities that can turn into a 4,5, or worse before you know it. You will need every different kind of shot you use.
Elevation change is used well - mostly on the back nine. Holes 2-8 are flat. Holes 3-6 play
alongside a creek and offer the opportunity to wet your disc.
There are more signs on this course than any other I've ever seen! This is partly because of
mandos and OB's but there were good tee signs, and next tee signs, and it seemed there was a sign for just about everything. Between the signs and the worn paths and good natural flow navigation was easy. Nice welcome board with a map box. Lots of nice benches out on this course. A very pretty course with lots of touches that show extra care and concern. This course is going to improve through the months and years because of this concern.
Cons: Simply one teepad and one basket placement per hole. There are no "long" holes on this
course - they range from very short to average par three lengths. You probably won't want a
Nuke or ExCal here! No trash cans (If you can't pack it out, don't pack it in!) No restrooms or drinking fountains out there either - come prepared. The baskets are a mostly Discatcher Sports with a variety of homemade goals. The tees are leveled ground usually marked in front with retaining stones, (although I believe some also used timbers) and with added gravel. I just wish there had been a scorecard with hole lengths on it.
Other Thoughts: I'll say again that this course was a really fun gem. I started out with five dueces on the first 6 holes then a kick OB, a poor recovery, a missed putt and I've got a sudden circle 5. It's that kind of course! Although I gave the course a lower rating because of the lower quality goals and minimally improved tees, those "cons" did not diminish my enjoyment of this course. I am used to some "different" goals and a run-up at a tee was rarely called for on these holes. The only thing I truly felt a lack of was a better scorecard/map. Unfortunately my local guide was out sick, and I was not able to play with the owner, which I feel sure would have kicked my fun level up a notch.
If you have to have big open holes to be happy, this won't be on your hot list. But if you enjoy carefully crafted shots on a carefully crafted course, you'll get your fill here.
I usually prefer private courses and I prefer this one even more than most. I recommend
contacting "greenskeeper" and getting a tee time!

Now I know all I need is 7 acres

5+    9/18/2010   10/20/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Private Property. Gotta love private property courses! They definitely have a special ambience and Avery's Springs is no different. Colorful holes, a moving basket, decent shots, water, a super cool owner.
- The Ropes. USDGC style. Because the course was built on such a small piece of land, they installed ropes to separate the paralleling fairways and to prevent/punish people for throwing their disc into the wrong fairway. They have also added Mandy's to do the same thing. This makes some decent little holes even more interesting and really makes the whole course a lot more fun.
- Decent Little Shots. Most of the holes are under 250', but with the aforementioned ropes and mandy's to keep you honest, you have to throw golf shots.
- The Moving Basket. Hole 12 had a small structure built (8' wide x 7' tall x 3' deep) that held a garage door opener type device that the basket was hung from… and the basket moved extremely slowly (less than 1 MPH) back and forth left and right. This movement, coupled with the green's obstacles really made the putt more interesting.
- The Owner. Can't say enough about Matt. He's always let me play with little to no notice... and he let us hold our annual club party there. Awesome guy! And his 5 year old son is awesome too... he'll probably join you for a round, or at least the first 3 holes.
Cons:
First of all… it's hard to come up with a list of "Cons" when someone is willing to go through all the work of making a course on their property and allowing you to play for free… With that said, this is a review:

- Unrealistic Fairways. There are a couple holes with unrealistic fairways… trees dead smack in the middle of the fairway (13, 15, 16)… extreme doglegs (15, 16, 18)… poke-n-hope fairways (7, 9, 16).
- Overly Signed. Usually I complain that courses don't have proper signage… but here, they went overboard. Huge next tee signs pointing the way to the next tee which is 5' away… (I can see the next tee; I don't need a large sign pointing at that one). They had great intentions, but slight overkill.
- Overall… The guys over there are hard at work trying to make it better all the time… every time I go they have added, removed or changed something… You wish this much care was given to your local park course. The course is super fun to play. Definitely not easy, you have to make shots. Score well on the open front, cuz the wooded back is a lot tougher. I wish I could play there more often.
- My Rating. I'd love to give a good "Bro" score, but reviewer ethics force my hand. If I was rating this course on their ability to create an exciting 18 Hole disc golf course on 7 acres of land, it would be a 4.5… But, when stacked up against all other disc golf courses I have played and reviewed, it's a 3. It's just not long enough, or epic enough to deserve a higher disc score. It is very fun though, and a great addition to the Asheville DG scene.
- My Best Score: -4

Private gem

2-4    11/19/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 11/22/2010
Pros: This course is a lot of fun. There are many unique aspects that make the round interesting. There are lots well set up shots. There are wooded & open, left, right & straight shots. Nice piece of property with beautiful green grass fairways & uncluttered woods. Some elevation in play. Lots of OB's & "Mandos' around to keep play safe & challenging. Nice tee signs. Good benches on most holes. Good mix of basket types, some hanging & some moving (#12). Front 9 could be played at night (glow golf). Some of my favorite holes: #11, #5 & #12's hanging, moving basket.
Cons: Some fairways are right next to each other so traffic from other throwers is possible. Tee signs could be a bit more descriptive & show pin location & OB's etc. Not much parking available. #3 basket is right next to #4 tee pad. Watch for incoming drives. Not many super-long open drives here. The mix of basket types might not appeal to some. There are a couple of portable single chain baskets.
Other Thoughts: Very accomodating hosts. Great spot for a course that fits in between Asheville & Hendersonville. I wish it was open all the time (not private). I played a round of glow golf there recently. The first 9 holes are in the valley area & they play very well for night golf.

Good golf, friendly people

2-4    8/28/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
This review was updated on 8/30/2010
Pros: The front nine is fantastic. It's mostly open, but with enough trees and water hazards to keep things challenging. There's no underbrush, and the course is well maintained and clean. There's a good variety of shots, lots of OB, and water hazards on a few holes. There's lots of opportunity, but it's easy to turn a birdie into a bogey.

There are some quality shots here. #1 is a top of the world type shot into an open field, very fun to throw. #5 and #6 are both nice putter shots along the creek, and probably my 2 favorite holes. #9 has a really cool line to it, pretty much forcing a helix shot.

The back 9 is a lot tighter and more technical. The lanes are very narrow forcing precise lines. Hole 14 is really cool. There are two huge mando trees about 5 feet apart. It's a tough line to hit but if you do, you're golden. Hole 18 is an extremely hard right downhill dogleg, making a horseshoe shape. Definitely a very cool hole.

The flow is good, and so is the signage. I had a guide but I probably still could have found my way around pretty easily.
Cons: I expect this section to improve as time goes on, and I'll definitely update my review to keep up with changes. A lot of work has gone into this course, and a lot more needs to go into it. The guys doing the work here know that, but this is a labor of love and doesn't have all the money that a city park does.

That said, the most obvious flaw of the course was the equipment. Most of the holes were good innova portable baskets, but some of the homemade/really old ones had some flaws. Hole 2 won't take much bang to spit you out, and #4's basket is just too small.

The back 9 still needs clearing out. It your shot goes off the fairway you're definitely in some trouble. I don't mind the tightness of the hole but the punishment for a bad shot usually exceeds the crime. Again, in time I know this will improve and I'll update my review to reflect that.

Hole 15 needs more of a fairway. A thumber's about all you can throw there now, and it's a blind shot with a lot of mess in the way.
Other Thoughts: This is a private course, but you can PM greenskeeper and ask him about setting up a tee time. He and all the other people who do their thing to make this course happen are really cool, and doing a great job.

It may be a bit unrefined but it's still great golf. You'll need lots of different shots to get around this course. I think the hole design is better than richmond hill, and with a little bit more love, I think the course will be better too.

Check your shorts Batman!

5+    7/28/2010   7/30/2010
Review By: Greenskeeper
Pros: Like entering the Bat Cave. Crossing the bridge on to this Private 18 hole Disc chuckers dream. No wake up its no Dream. This place Is Radical. Starting with a drive with around either side of a tree into the open field below. Lots of Birdies here! Water on 3,4,5, and 6. All holes have clearly marked Mando's and Drop zones for your miss. 9 starts at the bottom of the spring shooting out of the woods up on to the side of the hill, leading to ten. The back nine is very tight and technical. Plenty of trees to address and on 12 there is a MOVING BASKET! All the tee boxes have been leveled an mulched. Finishing with 18 a full horse shoe shot across down to the right and back in!
Cons: Not in my back yard!~ I cant give it a 5 because You need to!
Other Thoughts: I hope you can play this course at some point. Watch for Public Tournaments, and or yell out on the forum to get tee time! *Get Your Throw Down!