Asheville, NC
Avery's Spring Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #5 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #5 Tee: Plays over the creek. Mando on right.

2-4    11/23/2011   3/10/2012
Review By: parTake30
Pros: one of my favorite courses. the first hole has 2 tee locations, one to the side of the driveway, or another above and behind the driveway (where the owners park) and is elevated well above the basket. 3 and 4 have baskets hanging from the trees, which is pretty cool, and little challenging when your not used to putting upwards. theres a lot of mando's and ob which makes it a little more challenging. i believe its the 8th hole...the short basket is located on top of a cut off stump. the designers of the course got pretty creative with the baskets. one of the holes on the back 9 has a homemade basket hanging underneath a small wooden structure with a roof, and from the looks of it, they can flip a switch and have the basket move left to right mechanically. i've noticed a lot of glow sticks hanging from baskets. i havnt played dg at night but i'd love to play this one.
Cons: the back 9 is pretty heavily wooded and a little tough to navigate. i believe its holes 3-6 that have a stream running to the left, so theres a chance of getting wet.
Other Thoughts: this course is on private property. the people are nice, but definitely call to ask permission first.

Now I know all I need is 7 acres

5+    9/18/2010   10/20/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Private Property. Gotta love private property courses! They definitely have a special ambience and Avery's Springs is no different. Colorful holes, a moving basket, decent shots, water, a super cool owner.
- The Ropes. USDGC style. Because the course was built on such a small piece of land, they installed ropes to separate the paralleling fairways and to prevent/punish people for throwing their disc into the wrong fairway. They have also added Mandy's to do the same thing. This makes some decent little holes even more interesting and really makes the whole course a lot more fun.
- Decent Little Shots. Most of the holes are under 250', but with the aforementioned ropes and mandy's to keep you honest, you have to throw golf shots.
- The Moving Basket. Hole 12 had a small structure built (8' wide x 7' tall x 3' deep) that held a garage door opener type device that the basket was hung from… and the basket moved extremely slowly (less than 1 MPH) back and forth left and right. This movement, coupled with the green's obstacles really made the putt more interesting.
- The Owner. Can't say enough about Matt. He's always let me play with little to no notice... and he let us hold our annual club party there. Awesome guy! And his 5 year old son is awesome too... he'll probably join you for a round, or at least the first 3 holes.
Cons:
First of all… it's hard to come up with a list of "Cons" when someone is willing to go through all the work of making a course on their property and allowing you to play for free… With that said, this is a review:

- Unrealistic Fairways. There are a couple holes with unrealistic fairways… trees dead smack in the middle of the fairway (13, 15, 16)… extreme doglegs (15, 16, 18)… poke-n-hope fairways (7, 9, 16).
- Overly Signed. Usually I complain that courses don't have proper signage… but here, they went overboard. Huge next tee signs pointing the way to the next tee which is 5' away… (I can see the next tee; I don't need a large sign pointing at that one). They had great intentions, but slight overkill.
- Overall… The guys over there are hard at work trying to make it better all the time… every time I go they have added, removed or changed something… You wish this much care was given to your local park course. The course is super fun to play. Definitely not easy, you have to make shots. Score well on the open front, cuz the wooded back is a lot tougher. I wish I could play there more often.
- My Rating. I'd love to give a good "Bro" score, but reviewer ethics force my hand. If I was rating this course on their ability to create an exciting 18 Hole disc golf course on 7 acres of land, it would be a 4.5… But, when stacked up against all other disc golf courses I have played and reviewed, it's a 3. It's just not long enough, or epic enough to deserve a higher disc score. It is very fun though, and a great addition to the Asheville DG scene.
- My Best Score: -4

Good golf, friendly people

2-4    8/28/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
This review was updated on 8/30/2010
Pros: The front nine is fantastic. It's mostly open, but with enough trees and water hazards to keep things challenging. There's no underbrush, and the course is well maintained and clean. There's a good variety of shots, lots of OB, and water hazards on a few holes. There's lots of opportunity, but it's easy to turn a birdie into a bogey.

There are some quality shots here. #1 is a top of the world type shot into an open field, very fun to throw. #5 and #6 are both nice putter shots along the creek, and probably my 2 favorite holes. #9 has a really cool line to it, pretty much forcing a helix shot.

The back 9 is a lot tighter and more technical. The lanes are very narrow forcing precise lines. Hole 14 is really cool. There are two huge mando trees about 5 feet apart. It's a tough line to hit but if you do, you're golden. Hole 18 is an extremely hard right downhill dogleg, making a horseshoe shape. Definitely a very cool hole.

The flow is good, and so is the signage. I had a guide but I probably still could have found my way around pretty easily.
Cons: I expect this section to improve as time goes on, and I'll definitely update my review to keep up with changes. A lot of work has gone into this course, and a lot more needs to go into it. The guys doing the work here know that, but this is a labor of love and doesn't have all the money that a city park does.

That said, the most obvious flaw of the course was the equipment. Most of the holes were good innova portable baskets, but some of the homemade/really old ones had some flaws. Hole 2 won't take much bang to spit you out, and #4's basket is just too small.

The back 9 still needs clearing out. It your shot goes off the fairway you're definitely in some trouble. I don't mind the tightness of the hole but the punishment for a bad shot usually exceeds the crime. Again, in time I know this will improve and I'll update my review to reflect that.

Hole 15 needs more of a fairway. A thumber's about all you can throw there now, and it's a blind shot with a lot of mess in the way.
Other Thoughts: This is a private course, but you can PM greenskeeper and ask him about setting up a tee time. He and all the other people who do their thing to make this course happen are really cool, and doing a great job.

It may be a bit unrefined but it's still great golf. You'll need lots of different shots to get around this course. I think the hole design is better than richmond hill, and with a little bit more love, I think the course will be better too.