Asheville, NC
Avery's Spring Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #12 (Taken 9/2010)

High on my FUNDEX

1    4/9/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: tick
Pros: Very High fun level! This course is packed togther like sardines in a can. Usually this
would be a negative, but in this case it works! Extensive use of OB markings, and mandos are the primary tools used to pack 18 holes into a very tight space on the front nine. Holes
10-18 are through a patch of woods where there are fewer mandos and little OB. The holes are carefully sculpted out of thick trees and brush, and show a commitment to ongoing improvement. The result is a string of 18 fun shots from tees. Lots of duece opportunities that can turn into a 4,5, or worse before you know it. You will need every different kind of shot you use.
Elevation change is used well - mostly on the back nine. Holes 2-8 are flat. Holes 3-6 play
alongside a creek and offer the opportunity to wet your disc.
There are more signs on this course than any other I've ever seen! This is partly because of
mandos and OB's but there were good tee signs, and next tee signs, and it seemed there was a sign for just about everything. Between the signs and the worn paths and good natural flow navigation was easy. Nice welcome board with a map box. Lots of nice benches out on this course. A very pretty course with lots of touches that show extra care and concern. This course is going to improve through the months and years because of this concern.
Cons: Simply one teepad and one basket placement per hole. There are no "long" holes on this
course - they range from very short to average par three lengths. You probably won't want a
Nuke or ExCal here! No trash cans (If you can't pack it out, don't pack it in!) No restrooms or drinking fountains out there either - come prepared. The baskets are a mostly Discatcher Sports with a variety of homemade goals. The tees are leveled ground usually marked in front with retaining stones, (although I believe some also used timbers) and with added gravel. I just wish there had been a scorecard with hole lengths on it.
Other Thoughts: I'll say again that this course was a really fun gem. I started out with five dueces on the first 6 holes then a kick OB, a poor recovery, a missed putt and I've got a sudden circle 5. It's that kind of course! Although I gave the course a lower rating because of the lower quality goals and minimally improved tees, those "cons" did not diminish my enjoyment of this course. I am used to some "different" goals and a run-up at a tee was rarely called for on these holes. The only thing I truly felt a lack of was a better scorecard/map. Unfortunately my local guide was out sick, and I was not able to play with the owner, which I feel sure would have kicked my fun level up a notch.
If you have to have big open holes to be happy, this won't be on your hot list. But if you enjoy carefully crafted shots on a carefully crafted course, you'll get your fill here.
I usually prefer private courses and I prefer this one even more than most. I recommend
contacting "greenskeeper" and getting a tee time!

Private gem

2-4    11/19/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 11/22/2010
Pros: This course is a lot of fun. There are many unique aspects that make the round interesting. There are lots well set up shots. There are wooded & open, left, right & straight shots. Nice piece of property with beautiful green grass fairways & uncluttered woods. Some elevation in play. Lots of OB's & "Mandos' around to keep play safe & challenging. Nice tee signs. Good benches on most holes. Good mix of basket types, some hanging & some moving (#12). Front 9 could be played at night (glow golf). Some of my favorite holes: #11, #5 & #12's hanging, moving basket.
Cons: Some fairways are right next to each other so traffic from other throwers is possible. Tee signs could be a bit more descriptive & show pin location & OB's etc. Not much parking available. #3 basket is right next to #4 tee pad. Watch for incoming drives. Not many super-long open drives here. The mix of basket types might not appeal to some. There are a couple of portable single chain baskets.
Other Thoughts: Very accomodating hosts. Great spot for a course that fits in between Asheville & Hendersonville. I wish it was open all the time (not private). I played a round of glow golf there recently. The first 9 holes are in the valley area & they play very well for night golf.