Universal City, TX
Universal City Park Share
Uploaded By: Guru10 Hole #13 (Taken 1/2011)

The Deeper I Went, The More Impressed I Became!

1    4/4/2015   4/4/2015
Pros: Universal didn't impress much as first glance. The kiosk has seen better days. The concrete tee pads are old. The 1st basket looked as though it had been finger painted by a 6 year old year. The woods did kind of have that Blair Witch Project feel to them (and I was on the course just before sunrise).
But then the course just continued to grow on me. Everywhere I went, I saw evidence of hard work by a club or individuals who actually care about this course. I'm talking about trash cans at almost every hole. Benches at many holes. The bell at # 6 to let players following know the "Coast is Clear." No signs of any vandalism. Almost no litter. Some helpful next tee arrows/signs.
There's were lots of challenging basket placements and/or great overall holes.
# 9 throwing through a narrow window to a basket perched on a ridge with danger all along the left side here. I think this is a great hole from pad to basket.
# 10 with the basket up on the ridge was good!
# 11 was a cool tee pad placement and then the fairway through the trees.
And # 13 is something else. It starts with a sharp hyzer off the tee. From the long it's 375'. Once you turn the corner, you see the basket past these smallish mounds of dirt. I didn't realize that just behind the mounds was a very deep gorge, 25 ft. deep, with the basket still on the other side. And there's lots of trees to hit and drop your disc into the gorge.
Next hole # 14 looks simple at 275', with a fairly narrow fairway. But then I noticed that this steep, deep gorge runs to the left of the fairway all the way to the basket.
# 15. Same serious scary gorge on the left all the way here too. Be careful you don't skip on the hard ground into this ravine!
And then # 18 has two baskets. One is 245'. The other is 285'. Both are fun downhill tosses. I'm sure I would always play them as 18 A and 18 B. Why not?
Cons: This is an older course that is starting to grow weary. The baskets are old and creaky. They're not young and taunt like an 18 year girl, anymore. Same with the concrete pads.
Not really a Con but do you really need such a huge tee pad for # 5, a 155' downhill? Does anyone take a six step run-up for a 150' downhill floater? Just wondering? Seems like a waste of cement?
The kiosk sucks!
Other Thoughts: My hats off to whoever is keeping this course up. It's a superd course with so many interesting and challenging holes. It was so much more enjoyable than I expected. San Antonio disc golfers should feel quite privledged to have so many excellent choices in the area but I have to believe that Universal City DGC is my favorite out of the 17 San Antonio area courses I've played this week.

Love this course

2-4    3/28/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: Scottkey
Pros: Very well laid out, beautiful, varying degrees of difficulty, family atmosphere
Cons: Not really a con but come prepared to do some hiking up and down some rough terrain I.e. Not a flip flop friendly course
Other Thoughts: My family loves this course and the picnic tables near the parking is nice for a pre game, post game snack

1    3/14/2013   3/27/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: This is a fun short 18 holer. I played this course in about 45 minutes. I really appreciated the quality tee pads and tee signs.. Hole 7 has a nice bridge to get you to the other side. The course makes the most out of its elevation. Hole 5 is a short down hill where 9 you throw across a valley. 10 is slightly uphill where as 11 is a steep incline. Universal offers very tight wooded holes to some open ones on the backside of the course. I love tight wooded courses and this course provides that on numerous holes.
Cons: The baskets were in a little bit of rough shape.There aren't too many other cons besides the navigation that everyone else has mentioned. FInding hole 4 can be a challenge as well as number7. Number 7's teesign is labeled wrong it is definitely not 255 feet, more like 450ish. Hole 13 can be a little dangerous. To get to the basket you have to go down then up a very steep incline. There is a flatter path a little to the left but as a first time player at Universal I didn't know that. Holes 17 and 18 were a little boring because they were in the completely open. Also, 18's basket is right by the practice basket so I threw to the wrong basket( 18 is the closer one to the tee).

Favorite Course in SA

5+    3/2/2013   3/8/2013
Review By: greg_lange
Pros: Good tee pads. Fun hole variety. Lots of different shots are required. The course is seemingly never too busy.
Cons: The newer holes in the back could use some cleaning/refinement. There is a lot of home construction and other kinds of trash sprinkled around. There are a couple of tee pads that were poured but no longer used and those could be removed.

The course probably favors right handed players.

A couple of the holes are probably too short/gimmicky.
Other Thoughts: This has become my favorite course in the San Antonio area.

Nice Course

1    2/26/2013   2/27/2013
Review By: tredway
Pros: Not bothered by wind as much through most of the course.
Cons: Some of the holes are confusing as to where the basket is.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I like this course. I am a left handed player and this course favors the righty which is making me learn how to throw righty. Will be playing this one a lot.

1    2/24/2013   2/25/2013
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: The course is a short, technical course with a lot of dog legs going each direction. There is a good mix of open holes compared to wooded holes but there are far more wooded holes then open holes.
The concrete tee pads are long and very nice, the tee signs are all present and have the information on the sign; they just are a little worn down.
-There is a lot of elevation on the course. Some holes throw down and then back up a hill, and some basket placements are on a hill which will make putts roll down the hill. It adds a little bit of challenge when putting..
-There were bells at a few holes to signal to the group on the tee pad that you are clear from the basket. I thought it was a good added touch to the course.
-The baskets are all different varieties of baskets but all of them have two sets of chains plus a few extra chains so slip outs are very rare.
Cons: -Navigation is a pain in the butt. After hole number three it is a long walk to #4 and a few other holes you are kind of guessing what path to take to get to the next hole. There are no signs telling you where the next tee is.
-The brush off the fairways is quite thick. So keep it in the fairway. When I went out and played a few groups ended up losing a few discs from errant shots into the thorns and brush.
-This course is busy. Most groups seemed courteous to let you play through but you may have to do a bit of waiting.
-Like mentioned before the tee signs are worn down and some are starting to become illegible. It would be nice if they replaced the tee signs with newer and more vibrant signs.
Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised when I came to this course. It is tough but not overly tough. San Antonio does not have too many courses but this is a good place to go play. I have not played Live Oak yet and know that it is very close to this course but this would be a good place to bring a newer player. It plays fairly quickly and it is not too long or too wooded, just a lot of dog legs. This is a course to definitely hit if you are in the area.

great challenge

2-4    12/21/2012   1/5/2013
Review By: Hammer Time
Pros: Very fun and challenging course. With multiple long drives and hard dog legs this place will require good forehand and backhand throws if you want a good score.
Cons: Navigation after hole 3 confused me the first time.
Tee signs show alternative holes but I have yet to see them.
Not quite a con, just a downside that this course is so far from me otherwise I'd play it alot more often.

Alrighty then

2-4    6/10/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: Notta bad little course right here. There is jsut about every kind of shot there is here. This course doesnt favor one player over another. It is very fair and plays evenly for the righy and the lefty. Alot of the short holes here have lines that if you dont hit them your score will skyrocket quickly. Most of the greens have some sort of "trick" to them and you have to be aware of to score well. Not a lot of elevation but where there is it is used to the best. The concrete tees are nice here and make for good footing off of the tees. The fun factor is high here because of the variety of shot selection and hole types.
Cons: The grass was very overgrown and there were a lot of debris scattered throughout the course. Navigation is not very easy for a first timer even though I played the old layout and its on the same land. Lots of blind holes and areas where you have to walk around to find the basket or the next tee. You could use a spotter to save time on the blind holes because of the tall grass/debris.
Other Thoughts: Doesnt seem like it would be very beginner friendly. If the debris would get cleaned up and there wasnt knee high grass throughout, it would rank higher. There are some bells by the baskets on the blind holes tpo ring and let the guys on the tee know your clear.

DGing To The Sound Of Planes

2-4    1/31/2012   1/31/2012
Review By: hefalump
Pros: This is a good course with having the potential of being a great course. This course has holes that will challenge every level of player. I found myself pushing the limit on shots on several holes just to stay in the range of par. Best holes on this course are 7 and 13. Hole seven has you teeing off just before the creek and trying to make the basket 600 feet away in 4 shots. A good challenge. But, even a better challenge is hole 13. It has you teeing off toward a rise 150 feet away, then the fairway takes a dogleg to the left and tossing toward the basket on the other side of the creek 225 feet away. A very tough hole to achieve in 4 shots. Trash cans at various locations and benches at quite a few of the holes. Well maintained course.
Cons: Not many to note here. No restrooms hardly to speak of and a couple holes could use new tees. Navigation is somewhat muddled in the middle of the course, but not tough to find your way around.
Other Thoughts: I have enjoyed playing here all 3 times I have played at this course. Almost better than Live Oak City Park, and that is saying something. Live Oak is good. This one is just as good. Great challenge course for all levels. Recommended for any disc golfer.

An Interesting course....

1    12/4/2011   12/4/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: Some of the holes are quite fun to play. Even though there's a lot of short holes, I can imagine this course being a fun course to do an ace race with your friends.

Even though the signage, and navigation could be improved, the layout wasn't too confusing for a first-timer like me. I had a map with me, and it's pretty easy to navigate.

There is definitely enough variety in shot selections for many people here, and that is something that this course have to offer.
Cons: Few of the hole designs are well-meaning, but not quite successful. It does feel like this course was designed by a righty, so the course does not quite feel like it's neutral.

Baskets are quite old, and I noticed that few of them were slightly damaged. I realize that those things are expensive to buy, but compared to other courses in the area, the difference in quality is quite substantial.

Few of the pin placements, to me, were not ideal. I can imagine erosion will be going to be a problem for this course in the future. The first obvious example is the hole #13 with the A pin placement.

Tee pads aren't as good as they seemed to be. I was surprised to see that at least couple of them aren't even level.
Other Thoughts: Who is this course for? I can imagine people with all skills level can enjoy this course, because many of the holes are short enough for people who doesn't throw that far (or beginners) but it can be technical for more advanced players.

The proximity of this course to McClain and Live Oak would be something people would like if they wanted to have a nice, long day of playing disc golf.

I can't quite feel like I can justify giving this a course higher rating than I would give Live Oak or McClain Park. (Hey, I haven't reviewed them yet, but they factored in my mind in how I rated this course.)

I'd come back here again if I'm coming to the city for a long day of disc golf. I think I'd play this as a wind-down to either Live Oak or McClain.