Universal City, TX
Universal City Park Share
Uploaded By: Guru10 Hole #11 (Taken 1/2011)

UC:Top 2 Favorite Courses

5+    8/19/2016   9/14/2016
Review By: Drago318
Pros: Super diverse course layout. At the very least you get a taste of how complete your game is and what you need to work on. UC has wide open long holes for the big guns, short wooded holes requiring control and finesse shots. Doesn't matter how you throw RHBH, LHBH, RHFH, etc. UC has a hole or 2 that u will have u using your hyzer & anhyzer shots. Unless you enjoy playing solo, I've never had any trouble finding a partner or group to play through with. I've only been to this course 1 time and it have less than 3 - 5 players playing rounds & that was due to 3 days of start & stop rain. Also as far as the ground conditions go, UC can be played before, during, & after inclement weather, unlike some of the other courses in the area like McClain or Live Oak.
Cons: For first time players at UC, after hole #3 finding the tee pads may be somewhat challenging if you don't look at the tee sign & see which direction to head. Very difficult to locate errant throws on some holes due to thick trees, brush, and very large mutant cactuses growing unchecked down either side of the fairway. So losing a disc is very possible. Also apparently to exist in San Antonio ALL plants, animals, and insects must be able to perform 1 or all of the following: bite, scratch, poke, sting, stab, irritate, draw blood in some way, shape, form, or fashion, cause serious bodily harm or death
Other Thoughts: One thing I definitely want to mention and make sure other DG'ers that are new to the area know about the SA disc golf community is how respectful, courteous, friendly, honest, helpful, etc. the entire community is. Can't say enough about how impressed i have been. I've lost twice as many discs in SA, over the last 2 months than I have over the last year of playing my home courses in/around NW Louisiana. All but 1 disc has been returned.

The Deeper I Went, The More Impressed I Became!

1    4/4/2015   4/4/2015
Pros: Universal didn't impress much as first glance. The kiosk has seen better days. The concrete tee pads are old. The 1st basket looked as though it had been finger painted by a 6 year old year. The woods did kind of have that Blair Witch Project feel to them (and I was on the course just before sunrise).
But then the course just continued to grow on me. Everywhere I went, I saw evidence of hard work by a club or individuals who actually care about this course. I'm talking about trash cans at almost every hole. Benches at many holes. The bell at # 6 to let players following know the "Coast is Clear." No signs of any vandalism. Almost no litter. Some helpful next tee arrows/signs.
There's were lots of challenging basket placements and/or great overall holes.
# 9 throwing through a narrow window to a basket perched on a ridge with danger all along the left side here. I think this is a great hole from pad to basket.
# 10 with the basket up on the ridge was good!
# 11 was a cool tee pad placement and then the fairway through the trees.
And # 13 is something else. It starts with a sharp hyzer off the tee. From the long it's 375'. Once you turn the corner, you see the basket past these smallish mounds of dirt. I didn't realize that just behind the mounds was a very deep gorge, 25 ft. deep, with the basket still on the other side. And there's lots of trees to hit and drop your disc into the gorge.
Next hole # 14 looks simple at 275', with a fairly narrow fairway. But then I noticed that this steep, deep gorge runs to the left of the fairway all the way to the basket.
# 15. Same serious scary gorge on the left all the way here too. Be careful you don't skip on the hard ground into this ravine!
And then # 18 has two baskets. One is 245'. The other is 285'. Both are fun downhill tosses. I'm sure I would always play them as 18 A and 18 B. Why not?
Cons: This is an older course that is starting to grow weary. The baskets are old and creaky. They're not young and taunt like an 18 year girl, anymore. Same with the concrete pads.
Not really a Con but do you really need such a huge tee pad for # 5, a 155' downhill? Does anyone take a six step run-up for a 150' downhill floater? Just wondering? Seems like a waste of cement?
The kiosk sucks!
Other Thoughts: My hats off to whoever is keeping this course up. It's a superd course with so many interesting and challenging holes. It was so much more enjoyable than I expected. San Antonio disc golfers should feel quite privledged to have so many excellent choices in the area but I have to believe that Universal City DGC is my favorite out of the 17 San Antonio area courses I've played this week.

great challenge

2-4    12/21/2012   1/5/2013
Review By: Hammer Time
Pros: Very fun and challenging course. With multiple long drives and hard dog legs this place will require good forehand and backhand throws if you want a good score.
Cons: Navigation after hole 3 confused me the first time.
Tee signs show alternative holes but I have yet to see them.
Not quite a con, just a downside that this course is so far from me otherwise I'd play it alot more often.

Loved this course!

1    5/21/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: The course starts out with good signage and "next hole" signs. There is a great mix of short and long holes that require a bunch of different shots. I really like the elevation changes and the big ravine(s) that come into play on many of the holes. Overall a great, challenging course.
Cons: I think some changes have taken place to this course and the signs just need to be updated. One hole needs a tee pad and some of the baskets aren't in the best shape. After the beginning where the holes are clearly marked and signage is correct, a first-timer would really need someone to show them around, which luckily I had.
Other Thoughts: Bottomline, this is a great track. With some updated hole signs and few more signs directing players to the next hole, this could really be an exceptional course. I could see it being fairly frustrating for a new player, but a great challenge for players with a little experience. You really need to be able to throw ALL the shots to do well on this course. I've never had to throw so many high overhead shots and low skip shots (both left and right), but it was great to have to on this course. If you're in or around the San Antonio area, you owe it to yourself to give this course a try.

Great Play

1    3/22/2011   3/22/2011
Review By: Von Roll
This review was updated on 3/26/2011
Pros: Brand new signs.
Good flow to the layout.
Elevation changes
Multiple baskets.
Many Benches and trashcans.
Cons: Some holes could be hard to find if you are unfamiliar with the course.
Although part of the game, when you go outta bounds, YOU GO OUTTA BOUNDS. Cactus, cedars and various thorned vegitation make disc retrieval more than difficult.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one of my top 5 courses. Although this course could be tough for beginners, intermediate and advanced players should have a field day.

A Staple in San Antonio area disc golf

5+    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: Guru10
This review was updated on 11/19/2010
Pros: -Every variety of shot can be used. I love taking new discs out here to put to the test.

-I really like the way this new layout flows. Holes 7-13 are new and fresh. Hole 7 really lets you air out with two clear paths to take, but don't forget about all of your possible shots. As a lefty, I am constantly looking for new options. Hole 8 is a tight left off the tee. Play off the bounce for a closer shot. Hole 9 is a sweet valley shot, ending up and to the left. Be careful, the basket is on an island and a selfish shot could end up in the brush. Hole 10 and 11 play identical. Both are a short tee shot to a basket behind a gate of trees, if you will. A bouncer will be rewarded greatly, but control is key. Hole 12 is a unique shot. For me (left handed, remember) it's a backhand with lots of snap. the basket is located halfway up a hill and to the right, behind a treeline. the clear line is around them wide, but a well controlled straight shot will be greatly rewarded. Oh did I mention the 6 foot hill right in front of the tee? Hole 13 is a short valley shot out of the woods and dog ears left to a flat fairway. Hole 14 is an oldie but a goodie, a recycled hole from the old layout. Basket sits on a dirt island and a wide right hyzer (for me) will take you there. Hole 15 is along the creek (which is never filled with much water) and basket sits in a clearing to the right. But again, many trees are scattered in between. Literally. There isn't really any pattern to them, narrow spaces in the middle, wider tunnels on the side. Go too far and you'll end up in the river (which isn't).
Cons: No new signs, but new benches? Seems like something that should be taken care of before benches. Very minor.
Other Thoughts: I love the new layout! Like I said, best place to put a new disc to the test. I love seeing my scores get lower and lower each time I play it. I'll be coming to this course for a very long time.

1    10/31/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: philguard
Pros: Great mix of terrain and elevation. Benches at just about every tee. Lots of shade (very important in south Texas). Baskets are in good condition. I went out on a Sunday afternoon and didn't see anyone else on the course. There were a few folks walking around the park that were helpful navigating the course. The course starts and ends right at the parking lot. A few really thoughtful design aspects, like stairs to get up a tough incline to the tee on 10.
Cons: A bit tough to navigate if it's your first time out there and the signs at each tee box are not very helpful. If you're not paying attention between holes you can get lost. Cacti in the OB (but if you throw your disk there, I guess that's your own fault). No bathrooms or water on the course.
Other Thoughts: I was apparently really interested in the rough areas since I kept throwing discs out there on a few holes but didn't lose any. At one point, a couple of guys on dirt bikes nearly ran me over. I had some fun watching a few jets land at Randolph AFB during one of my rests. Overall, I had a great time playing through this course and can't wait to get back out and give it another try.

changed

1    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: js1620
Pros: excelent diverse terrain; tight trees, open spaces, flat, slopes, rocks, grass, it has everything.
Cons: There are still some real dense bush so there is some areas that are blind so you may loose a disc or two until they do some more clearing.
Other Thoughts: they just changed the layout so they are still making new signs for the course and be carefull because the directions are'nt finished either.