The Colony, TX
Bill Allen Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: Marty McFly Hole #3 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole #3 Tee: Basket is across the creek. You need to cross the bridge and head around the woods to get to the it.

Bill Allen

5+    6/17/2014   6/18/2014
Review By: alpha_dave
Pros: Tee Boxes= Nice concrete pads on holes 1-3 and 10-18, most of which still have the crushed granite surrounding the concrete.
Baskets= mostly in good shape, practice basket on top hill next to parking lot.
Signs & Stuff= Playground near parking lot and holes 1-3, picnic table at hole 8, porta-potty between holes 13 & 14 (usually)
Design= Varied shot design, has a little bit of elevation, some technical holes, a couple of bombers and several ace runs. Once you go "into the woods" on holes 10-13 your score can change drastically. Overall a very fun but still challenging course to play.
Dave's Point= one of my first courses I played, it will always be special to me, so it gets a little extra love.
Cons: Tee Boxes= holes 4-9 still have crushed granite pads, not a fan. Only one set of permanent tees.

Baskets= Mostly in good shape, basket 9 is installed incorrectly, so be sure to check the chains before you putt

Design=I'm not a big fan of hole 18…many players dislike hole 11(I'm not one of them)

Signs&Stuff= several of the signs (9&12) are missing or unreliable.

Dave's Point=I really dislike the granite pads, TC Parks and Rec keeps promising to add concrete to 4-9…..that'll be nice.
Other Thoughts: Ratings Breakdown:

Dave's Point= 1.0
total= 3.5

5+    2/22/2014   2/22/2014
Review By: FarFromPar
Pros: -good mix of open and wooded, short and long
-no two holes feel the same
-good signage
-can use a variety of throws
Cons: -dirt and gravel teepads are worn in on a few holes
-snakes in summer
-a few holes will really punish you for throwing poorly
-can get crowded at times
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses to play. Concrete teepads or alt pin placement would really make this a 4 star or higher course for me. Played many rounds here and it still challenges me. One of the few courses where i feel a good sidearm really helps to have.

1    2/22/2014   2/22/2014
Review By: OB Four
Pros: -Good variety of shots required
-Good flow b/t holes
-Grounds are well kept
-Challenging, but not overly so
Cons: -The biggest con for me is the dirt tee pads on some of the holes.
-Can get backed up on some of the tougher holes on a busier day
Other Thoughts: Probably one of my favorite courses to play on a regular basis. Has a really great mix of shots required. Has some really good wooded shots that require accuracy, hyzer/anhyzer shots, distance, elevation changes, and a few aceable holes.

Great place to test out a lot of areas of your game.

Nice Walk

5+    6/2/2012   6/11/2012
Review By: DHD1
Pros: Located close by. It's got a little something for every skill level. Great little walk through the woods.
Cons: Would like to see some upgrades made to the tee boxes. Replace the maps for pin placement.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't tried this course. I would definately reccomend it. Hope to see you out there.

Fun variety

1    4/11/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large well-kept park with some mixed terrain. Some minor elevation changes come into play on several holes, and are used pretty well to add some interest and challenge. There's a decent mix of open and wooded shots, including a couple nice open holes with protected pin positions. The more technical shots have a good balance of right and left turning holes that require a complete set of shots to score well.

There is some distance variety here, nothing huge but there are a few longer holes that offer the chance for throwing drivers. Water comes into play with a pond and creek offering some decent risk/reward decisions. One hole offers the choice to lay up to the pond then throw across or go for the riskier potential deuce off the tee. The tees and baskets are in good shape, no real footing issues that I noticed. Signage at the tees is adequate, with hole length and layout.
Cons: Navigation is not good here, with some long walks that aren't marked at all. Make sure you have the map printed or pulled up on your phone if you don't want to spend a bunch of time wandering around. Hole 3 is a cool shot across the creek but it's a long walk to the bridge after you throw your drive.

There are a few places where the walking path is in play, and it seems like the park gets a lot of non-disc golf traffic. The tees were in ok shape when I played, but some showed signs of rutting out, they could get bad if not maintained.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course tough with some moderately punishing rough in spots, but it's not so tough that newer players won't be able to have fun here. More experienced players will find some decent challenges and variety here. I enjoyed this course, and would recommend it if you're in the area.

Good course variety, Could use a little redesigns

1    12/17/2011   12/20/2011
Review By: araytx
This review was updated on 12/12/2012
Pros: Good variety of shots needed to score well on this course, not really righty favored or lefty favored (balanced) ... except that two very short birdie holes (#s9, 14) have a slight righty advantage. I liked that there were tee shots that the righty FH flick anny was a better choice than the righty BH hyzer -- made the course more interesting.  I didn't use it on #12 (played a layup and longer approach to get a 3), but next time I'll try that FH anny.  (My second round we had a lefty and after he anhyzered for the best drive of the day, I realized that.)  The protected baskets on #s4 and 9 should make you not take those birds for granted, so be aware.  It was early winter so no reeds on #6 and pond was low, so the shot across was more like 285.  #8 is a blind shot, I used a RHBH turnover both times so be sure to go very high and wide if that's your shot of choice.  Saw others try lots of shots there aka thumbers, spike hyzers, RHFH.

On #10 a lot or reviewers thought it was tough to deuce; I had long deuce putts (45-60) both times by going midrange anny up and over the short trees on the left.  The first one would have been parked but hit a low branch by the basket on the way in and rolled backward.  I think you would need pretty good accuracy to go straight at it.  #11 is a sick hole (see other reviews) -- at least one other option needs to be opened up.  My suggestion would be to cut a reasonable opening above, then center the tee box to equalize for righty/lefty.  #13 needs a huge RHBH skip shot, flick roller, or LHBH roller to get close, but the casual water was there when I played so deuces were basically out of the question.  When playing for a safe 3, no need to use a driver.  On #15 I got deep both times with a BH roller, first time was 75 feet away and nearly birdied on approach.  I had practiced this one that morning and the S shot seemed tougher to me.  #17 -- if you can't blast it over the tree line (like me) then be sure to finish to the left side of the opening to get a clear approach to the basket.  #18 I didn't like the straight line to the basket at all.  All risk -- if you get through it's a likely deuce, but if you don't,  a sure 4.  I played the layup through the right hand opening going around the OB water (along #17's fairway) for the easy 3.
Cons: Like others said -- no restrooms, and for a course in a neighborhood you really need them.  I didn't see this course's woods having thick enough foliage to overcome the lack of restrooms.  Troublesome designs on #s11, 12, & 18 which basically limit the thrower's options.  The ace run holes (#s3, 9, & 14) are way too short if all three can be reached with a putter by an average disc golfer like myself.
Other Thoughts: I played this course basically blind at a recent tournament, so please take this review as coming from an am rated around 900 playing it for the first time.  Overall I liked the variety and the way the design was intended to make use of all shots; I didn't like the three holes (#s11, 12, & 18) which seemed to me to be very impractical, either from the guess & hope throwing lines perspective or poor balance of risk reward perspective.

Saw 2 reviewers did not find my review helpful at all. Please send me a PM and tell me your thoughts about what could improve my review.

Great Course!

1    9/25/2011   9/25/2011
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Baskets are in great shape.
-Doesn't seem to be too busy.
-Great mix of wide open and narrow tree passages.
-Plenty of benches and trashcans.
-Great use of available terrain and water.
-In the middle of suburbia. Great for quick rounds after work.
-Plays fast. My group of 3 with a new player finished in about 2 hours with 2 groups passing us.
Cons: -No bathrooms. There is a portapotty at the parking lot.
-Difficult to navigate the first time.
-Gravel/Dirt pads. I am not a fan of them. However, they are well maintained.
Other Thoughts: Great course to bring someone new to the sport to. Wonderful mix of wide of wide open fairways to seriously narrow thread the needle shots. Gives them a taste of nearly everything the sport has to offer. Course runs fast for experienced players so it is great to squeeze in a fast round on the way home from work.

Not for newbs

2-4    7/17/2011   10/27/2010
Review By: Notorious21
This review was updated on 7/18/2011
Pros: A couple decently fun holes requiring a wide variety of shots - some power holes, some finesse holes. Many difficult holes to par, and some easy birdies.
Cons: Overall, just too many really annoying holes.
Starting off with #1, and the annoying little tree that is right in the line of fire off the tee.
The pond on #6 is a disk swallower, you either need a consistent 350 ft straight drive, or you should lay up. For players with short, but accurate drives (like my wife), it can be too big to get over even with a layup off the tee.
Holes 9-13 have so many trees and tight throwing lanes, it's easy to get frustrated and run up your score if you are not extremely accurate.
Once you get out of the woods after 13, you'll probably have a tough time enjoying the last 5 holes, which would otherwise be fun.
Other Thoughts: I played this course again, and it was a lot better than I remember, or else I've just gotten a lot better.

Nice Update

2-4    8/28/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: bumpspeed
Pros: Great selection of holes. What used to be a rinky dink pitch and putt is so much better. You will need most of the shots in your bag.

Use your head. Don't just throw for it. Know where the pin is. This course will bite you for a mis-placed drive or approach.
Cons: Mulituse park. Walkers can be and issue on a couple of holes and kids playing in the grass can get in the way. A buddy to watch out for your drives on hole 5 is nice.

I understand wanting to make some tight holes in the woods, but 11 and 12 could be widened by a foot or so to be a bit more playable.
Other Thoughts: Now that it is 18 holes and ALOT more challenging this is back into my rotaion.

Fun course if you just have fun

1    8/27/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: razorsmith.com
Pros: Fun course that winds around a pretty family area park. Great location and easy to get to.

Good mix of left and right playing holes
Long holes, short holes
Wide open(5) and in the trees(11-12)
Water on a few holes. Easy creek shot on 3 made for a fun birdie. Laid up on the pond on 6. (No arm/confidence to clear that bad boy.)
Enjoyed 11-12. Guess since I hit the gaps I will be one of the rare ones that like those holes.
Great teebox signs.

A really enjoyable day.
Cons: Needs the bridge on 3. Shortens the walk around quite a bit, and the poor pallet that is in the water now will not last to long.
The reeds in the pond on 6 are huge. I like the intimidation, however putting a disc in there is a scary thought.
Some of the teepads had 'rutts' in the last 12 inches of runout. Watch those ankles.
The basket on 8 is hidden. Look for it when you walk to the 7 basket, otherwise you will overthrow your teeshot thinking it is farther than it is.
Other Thoughts: Lost blue Z Avenger SS with white stamp on 7 in the bushes to the right. If you find I would love back.

Only getting from 12-13 was odd, however the course signs are great. There are a couple of pinhole shots, but they are really fun. Tunnel shots were great. Would be great to have a port-a-let. Good shade under the pavilion, however I think this is probably taken up any weekend by parties.

Fun course and great location.