The Colony, TX
Bill Allen Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: Marty McFly Hole #12 (Taken 8/2010)

Nice Walk

5+    6/2/2012   6/11/2012
Review By: DHD1
Pros: Located close by. It's got a little something for every skill level. Great little walk through the woods.
Cons: Would like to see some upgrades made to the tee boxes. Replace the maps for pin placement.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't tried this course. I would definately reccomend it. Hope to see you out there.

Almost Perfect

5+    5/24/2012   5/26/2012
Review By: DiffikultD
Pros: In a part of Texas where it's hard to find great scenery, this is one of the most beautiful courses in the area. It's in a great neighborhood, and although it's in a mixed-use park, you rarely find yourself encroaching on someone else's good time, and vice versa.

While most courses might have one "signature" hole, this track has at least three. If disc golf was a televised sport, the return from commercials would show hole six (especially when the reeds are at their full height), fifteen, or seventeen.

It's worth repeating what most of the reviewers have said: This course demands, and rewards, a variety of shots. Don't be intimidated by the long holes if, like me, you don't have the biggest arm. As long as you stay out of trouble, you can post a decent score here.

It's rarely crowded here, compared to some of the popular courses in the area. Even when the smallish parking lot is overflowing, the layout prevents stack-ups between holes. (Speaking of the parking lot, if it's full you can park at a much bigger gravel lot right next to the 14th tee. You'll finish 13 right back at the same spot.)
Cons: I only have one major complaint about this course, and (surprise!) it has to do with the tee boxes. It's not just that they don't provide good footing, or that they can be downright dangerous if you slip too close to the end. It's the fact that so much time and effort went into building them that way. I throw from the grass whenever I can. I happen to like the way my feet are attached to my legs.

The only hole layouts I have a problem with are #11 and #12. I have no issue whatsoever with a hole that is difficult by design, but #11 is ridiculous. Even a very good throw can be disastrous, especially since they designated this hole as a par 3, while the par 4 #12 - even with its double dog leg - is a full 80' shorter and actually more likely to be reached in 3. Still, you have to consistently hit a gap approximately three feet wide. With all the trees that were removed for these holes, they could have easily taken out four more, and both holes would STILL be difficult pars.

No, there aren't any bathrooms, but I'm a guy and there's plenty of secluded, wooded areas, so that's not a big deal to me.

Snakes, numerous locust trees. Warning: those locust tree spines will go right through your shoe if you step on a fallen branch. If you lose a disc in the pond on #6, it belongs to the copperheads, water moccasins, and the gigantic snapping turtles.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, so I might be a little biased in its favor. I've been playing it since it was a nine hole, and it was a GREAT nine hole course (with concrete pads). The first time I went there after the expansion to eighteen holes I hated it. This was where our group came after work to drink a few beers and play for a dollar a stroke. For the third round you could only use one disc. Anyway, since it's the closest course to me, I kept going back, and each time it's gotten better and better. Now, it's my second favorite course in the DFW Metroplex, behind Harry Myers in Rockwall.

Yes, the tees are frustrating, and yes, it's challenging, but after a round or two you will know that you just experienced pretty much everything that this great game has to offer.

Fun variety

1    4/11/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large well-kept park with some mixed terrain. Some minor elevation changes come into play on several holes, and are used pretty well to add some interest and challenge. There's a decent mix of open and wooded shots, including a couple nice open holes with protected pin positions. The more technical shots have a good balance of right and left turning holes that require a complete set of shots to score well.

There is some distance variety here, nothing huge but there are a few longer holes that offer the chance for throwing drivers. Water comes into play with a pond and creek offering some decent risk/reward decisions. One hole offers the choice to lay up to the pond then throw across or go for the riskier potential deuce off the tee. The tees and baskets are in good shape, no real footing issues that I noticed. Signage at the tees is adequate, with hole length and layout.
Cons: Navigation is not good here, with some long walks that aren't marked at all. Make sure you have the map printed or pulled up on your phone if you don't want to spend a bunch of time wandering around. Hole 3 is a cool shot across the creek but it's a long walk to the bridge after you throw your drive.

There are a few places where the walking path is in play, and it seems like the park gets a lot of non-disc golf traffic. The tees were in ok shape when I played, but some showed signs of rutting out, they could get bad if not maintained.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course tough with some moderately punishing rough in spots, but it's not so tough that newer players won't be able to have fun here. More experienced players will find some decent challenges and variety here. I enjoyed this course, and would recommend it if you're in the area.

Good course variety, Could use a little redesigns

1    12/17/2011   12/20/2011
Review By: araytx
This review was updated on 12/12/2012
Pros: Good variety of shots needed to score well on this course, not really righty favored or lefty favored (balanced) ... except that two very short birdie holes (#s9, 14) have a slight righty advantage. I liked that there were tee shots that the righty FH flick anny was a better choice than the righty BH hyzer -- made the course more interesting.  I didn't use it on #12 (played a layup and longer approach to get a 3), but next time I'll try that FH anny.  (My second round we had a lefty and after he anhyzered for the best drive of the day, I realized that.)  The protected baskets on #s4 and 9 should make you not take those birds for granted, so be aware.  It was early winter so no reeds on #6 and pond was low, so the shot across was more like 285.  #8 is a blind shot, I used a RHBH turnover both times so be sure to go very high and wide if that's your shot of choice.  Saw others try lots of shots there aka thumbers, spike hyzers, RHFH.

On #10 a lot or reviewers thought it was tough to deuce; I had long deuce putts (45-60) both times by going midrange anny up and over the short trees on the left.  The first one would have been parked but hit a low branch by the basket on the way in and rolled backward.  I think you would need pretty good accuracy to go straight at it.  #11 is a sick hole (see other reviews) -- at least one other option needs to be opened up.  My suggestion would be to cut a reasonable opening above, then center the tee box to equalize for righty/lefty.  #13 needs a huge RHBH skip shot, flick roller, or LHBH roller to get close, but the casual water was there when I played so deuces were basically out of the question.  When playing for a safe 3, no need to use a driver.  On #15 I got deep both times with a BH roller, first time was 75 feet away and nearly birdied on approach.  I had practiced this one that morning and the S shot seemed tougher to me.  #17 -- if you can't blast it over the tree line (like me) then be sure to finish to the left side of the opening to get a clear approach to the basket.  #18 I didn't like the straight line to the basket at all.  All risk -- if you get through it's a likely deuce, but if you don't,  a sure 4.  I played the layup through the right hand opening going around the OB water (along #17's fairway) for the easy 3.
Cons: Like others said -- no restrooms, and for a course in a neighborhood you really need them.  I didn't see this course's woods having thick enough foliage to overcome the lack of restrooms.  Troublesome designs on #s11, 12, & 18 which basically limit the thrower's options.  The ace run holes (#s3, 9, & 14) are way too short if all three can be reached with a putter by an average disc golfer like myself.
Other Thoughts: I played this course basically blind at a recent tournament, so please take this review as coming from an am rated around 900 playing it for the first time.  Overall I liked the variety and the way the design was intended to make use of all shots; I didn't like the three holes (#s11, 12, & 18) which seemed to me to be very impractical, either from the guess & hope throwing lines perspective or poor balance of risk reward perspective.

Saw 2 reviewers did not find my review helpful at all. Please send me a PM and tell me your thoughts about what could improve my review.

Great Course

5+    9/4/2011   10/14/2011
Review By: lajoie24
This review was updated on 12/30/2011
Pros: This is my favorite course in the area. It has an incredible combination of holes. You have ace runs on 3, 9, and 14 while praying to get pars on 10, 11 and 12. You'll have drives in the open, over trees and ponds, creek side, through forests, uphill and downhill. It never seems to be too crowded. The course is well maintained.
Cons: Tee boxes. Put some concrete in those tee boxes. They're currently some sort of decomposed granite/sand mix. Rolled an ankle on one of the holes. Since then, I'll drive off to the side of a few of the tee boxes because of the compromised footing
Other Thoughts: I would easily up my rating if they installed some concrete. Get out there anyways. You'll love it!

Great Course!

1    9/25/2011   9/25/2011
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Baskets are in great shape.
-Doesn't seem to be too busy.
-Great mix of wide open and narrow tree passages.
-Plenty of benches and trashcans.
-Great use of available terrain and water.
-In the middle of suburbia. Great for quick rounds after work.
-Plays fast. My group of 3 with a new player finished in about 2 hours with 2 groups passing us.
Cons: -No bathrooms. There is a portapotty at the parking lot.
-Difficult to navigate the first time.
-Gravel/Dirt pads. I am not a fan of them. However, they are well maintained.
Other Thoughts: Great course to bring someone new to the sport to. Wonderful mix of wide of wide open fairways to seriously narrow thread the needle shots. Gives them a taste of nearly everything the sport has to offer. Course runs fast for experienced players so it is great to squeeze in a fast round on the way home from work.

Nicely done

5+    6/2/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Youll use every shot in your bag, which makes it fun. Nice variety of distances for big arms and finesse players. Great use of the whole park. A windy day won't kill you here.
Cons: Long. Takes a while to play a round. The walk to play holes 4-9 is a death march in the heat. Watch for snakes, and I was attacked by bees here.
Other Thoughts: Strong, challenging course. Big boy course. Wish they would have just kept the old front 9 and put 9 more in the back. Love this place though.

Holy Guacamole Presto Changeo

1    5/16/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: Donovan
Pros: Wow! The change from an easy 9-hole course to a fun 18-hole course is impressive. The hard work really shows. This course has OB, water, a drop-off creek, open-holes, wooded holes, ace runs, protected baskets, some elevation, and a great layout. The variety of hole length and type of hole (woods, elevation, open, water) is really mixed. Playing this 18-hole layout for the first time was pretty cool. I was surprised often at what hole was next. It was not a predictable layout. That made it exciting. The baskets are great and the tee sign were excellent. The crushed granite tee pad "boxes" were actually great to throw on. I enjoyed this option, as they were not too slick and not too rough. Parking was great and there were plenty of trashcans along the way.
Cons: Navigation only get's you hung up a little now and then. Just look for the trashcans to find the holes that are a little harder to spot. BTW, when you get to the drop-off creek hole, you can walk around and cross a bridge just a little further down the sidewalk that is behind you. There are no rest room at this park, but the is a play ground that I am happy to say, doesn't come into play.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor here is high. This place is a great time. I am so thrilled with the constant changing of the type of holes, that it feels like it never gets boring. I wish this one was closer to home. I would be playing here much more often. I don't know who Bill Allen was, but it is a great memorial. He would be humbled by the work that was put into this, in his name! Kudos!

Very fun

1    3/20/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: Lorider680
Pros: -Great shot selection
-variety
-seclusion
-course map is perfect
Cons: -kind of hard to find
-the pond shot is meaty
Other Thoughts: This course is great. A disc golfer of any talent level will have fun on this course. Precision is needed on a few holes but possible. Everyone hates the tree on 1
F

2-4    1/22/2011   2/1/2011
Review By: sidewinding
Pros: EXCELLENT shot variety. From short to long, lefty, righty, straight, very tight, very open, and everything in between. This course has them all.

The fun factor is high on this course due to the variety.

Water is a factor on many of the holes which adds to the pucker factor.

Good Tee signs.

Large framed and packed crushed granite tee pads. Concrete is coming soon but in the mean time being these are better than a muddy hole.

Good flow that starts and finishes at the parking area.

The shot over the pond is one of the longer water carries I've ever played. You can either go for the birdie if you can throw at least 320' or you can lay up short and then throw over it for a pretty easy three either way. Good risk vs reward hole.

The thorny rough is such that it really rewards accuracy and punishes errant shots. Most throws that are not in the fairway will cost you at least a stroke.
Cons: No concrete teepads (but rumor has it they're coming soon). Not that big of a con since I'm from Austin where all our teepads are dirt.

After hole #11 you have to turn right to get to hole #12. If you go straight down the trail instead of going right you will come to #13's tee, so it feels like #12 was added as an after thought. Then you have a long walk back from #12's basket to the #13 tee.

No restrooms.

The water and rough may make this course a little frustrating for newer players. I played it in the dead of winter and it was pretty brutal. I can only imagine what it's like with leaves on the trees.
Other Thoughts: I played this course when it was an easy little nine holer and am pleasantly suprised by the redesign. Whoever was responsible really got this one right. I might just kick it up to 4.5 after it gets concrete.