Albuquerque, NM
Brent Baca Memorial Share
Uploaded By: AlexBradford Hole #17 (Taken 9/2011)
3 / 250ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Great course!

1    9/11/2013   9/11/2013
Review By: caravan2001
Pros: Great Tee Pads
Scenic
Easy to navigate for first timer
Cons: None really that I can think of. There are a ton of ants and I was scared of rattlers, but not sure if there even are any. Chance of losing disc in arroyo.
Other Thoughts: Was visiting ABQ and this course was recommended to me on the dgcr forum. Glad I made it out there, this is a very fun course and worth the effort to play it. Only course in Albuquerque that I have played so I can't compare to others but it seems like the general consensus that this is the course to play. Fairly challenging and uses a wide variety of shots but not too hard for a novice. I love the man-made obstacles on hole 2 and as mentioned above, it was easy to navigate. There were no maps in the mailbox at tee one but i brought up the map on my phone and once I realized the tee pads were spray painted with arrows pointing toward the next hole, I was golden. About the tee pads, I LOVE the round concrete pads. Played these at Fountain Hills in AZ, and in my opinion, they are the only way to go. It is obvious that folks have spent a lot of time and energy on course upkeep and improvements so kudos to you guys. Baskets are in decent shape and are all multi-chain solid baskets. Great course that I will play again the next time I am here.

Discs in the Desert

1    4/5/2011   4/8/2011
Review By: QBeaver
Pros: Really cool use of man-made obstacles. Long distance throwers will have fun on this course, but there are also secondary tees for more novice players. Nice big round concrete tees provide a good launching point. Mostly flat, but obstacles, both natural and man-made, provide interesting challenges and opportunities for technical shots. Maps provided at first tee.
Cons: It's in the desert and is very remote. If the wind is blowing at all, this course can be a real challenge as there are little to no trees or hills to block the wind. As a matter of fact it kind of sits in a canyon between mesas, which can funnel the wind making it worse. No shade for hot days, so bring a lot of water. Very sandy with lots of prickly brush, were good shoes and pants, not a place to wear shorts.
Other Thoughts: Fun course that I plan to play a lot more. Challenging, and not crowded. Location is in the boonies, but it's worth a visit and it's not that hard to get to.

A fun couse in the middle of no where

1    6/7/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: ryan ranes
Pros: fun shopts for big arm throwers and manmade obstacles making it look very cool and tricky
with excellent teepads O
Cons: there are no signs so easy to get lost and can get very windy
Other Thoughts: when ur early to the airport u can play this course before hand

Must See!

5+    4/12/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: iceparrot
Pros: Off the Tee: Large circular concrete tee pads make it easy to rip it how you wish. Natural and Man-Made Obstacles, large arroyos (flash flood canyons) and up/down shots make for interesting shots, but you largely can just rip it, especially if you throw RBH.

Approach and Putting: The baskets are all in excellent condition, and almost every placement is meant to reward accurate approach play, with tough obstacles, both man-made and natural being used to prevent long putts from most angles.

Environment: The course is a great use of open land, and the designers made the most of it by use of man-made obstacles. Throwing into an arroyo is always frustrating, but it does make for good risk/reward on many holes, especially hole #4.

Hole #11 is a great example of the Mad-Max meets disc golf style of the course, with all the obstacles being large uni-strut rusted metal frames. Good design choice.

The layout of the course is pretty easy to follow after it's been played once as the tees always have an arrow that points right at the basket, as well as hand drawn maps with distances.
Cons: It can be dusty and hot, and easy to lose discs if the brush hasn't been trimmed down recently. While some of the holes have well done obstacles that require a different shaped shot off the tee, others just reinforce the standard RBH flight, such as #3.
Other Thoughts: If you play by yourself make sure to bring lots of water and a phone, as there are some dangers to the course, and its rare that others players are on it. *I strongly recommend wearing pants and sturdy shoes* I would also recommend playing this course early in the morning during the summer as there is no water and almost no shade on the course for rest stops.

This course is worth the play
I applaud the designers and maintainers of this course for keeping it in fairly good condition despite its remote location.

This course should be played at least once if you are in the area.

Unique

5+    8/25/2009   12/25/2009
Review By: mfcastillo17
Pros: Great use of the land. I love the disc golf meets mad max reference. Great teepads, great views. Great for big arms, but short teepads allow for smaller arms to enjoy it as well! Great desert landscape. Sweet views of all the US Air Force's latest toys flying overhead to Kirtland AFB.
Cons: Bring water as there are no facilities.
Other Thoughts: This course is a good break for when Roosevelt gets crowded. You can really let it rip out here. You can see bits of this course in the latest Terminator movie as it was filmed on the street leading up to the course.

Surprising

1    11/29/2008   12/2/2008
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: Nice big and artistic tee pads and a well laid out course that takes full advantage of the terrain are the big high lights of this course. I was also pleasently surprised about how much I enjoyed the man made objects that were used to assist in creating new challenges on various different holes. I like hole 14 I believe it is that has distance markers to at least 500 ft to show you how long your drive is. There is a mail box for maps at the first tee. There are things for kids to do in a play area the sits right there on the first tee and last green.
Cons: It felt weird to be driving past salvage yards and then the dump on the way to the course. There is some very nasty brush on a few holes that you will not have fun walking through in order to find a disk, and you will be very lucky to find any disk that does go in there. There is little protection on the course from wind so that becomes a major factor. The course is also right next to a dirt bike/4 wheel/whatever other motorized play vehicle you own and had a couple of them come into the course as I was playing.
Other Thoughts: I played thios course on a very windy day, do not do as I did. They were also out of maps which made finding holes very interesting. I almost did not play but am very glad that I did. I certainly felt like I had gotten a birdie every time I got a bogy. Mid way through my round though I was just taken by how much I was enjoying myself. It was almost like playing again for the first time.

Rustic and Challenging

10/4/2007   5/6/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: Disclaimer: I only had time to play the front 9. On the day I played this course, the winds were nearly 20 mph from the south which made for some frustrating play. Holes were well marked and of an interesting variety. Wish I had more time to explore this course more thoroughly, and also recommend that you bring a partner for help in finding discs and just as a general safety back-up. Beautiful desert scenery despite being right next to a wastewater facility. Views of mountains to the north.
Cons: Wear sturdy shoes and socks, very rough and unforgiving terrain. Bring plenty of water. Wind can be an issue here. Spent a lot of time searching for discs in the low brush.
Other Thoughts: Will definitely be back sometime to play this one again. I'm sure I probably played it under the worst circumstances.