Farmington, ME
Troll Valley DGC Share
Uploaded By: jmsayward Hole #1 (Taken 6/2010)

That's Just How I Troll

1    8/22/2014   9/14/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Troll Valley DGC is an instant favorite on my list. I liked the name, I liked the people, and the disc golf course is kickin'. Great mixes of long and short holes, open on a few, woods on many, and lefts/rights, up and down hill as well. There are discs, snacks, and scorecards with a course map in the club house. The tees were concrete, and most were in good condition. Tee signs with hole number, par, distance and map. Orange Mach 3 baskets are high visibility and they stand out nicely, not to mention looking cool. The first two holes are sweet! Long and downhill all the way with a few trees that can catch errant throws. 1 spit out of the basket and gave me a bad roll, leading to a three putt, double bogey. Large grassy fairway was being mown on 2, a 450' par 4. Operator courteously cut the engine while I teed off (and took an extra throw for fun), and allowed me to play through. With a crushed drive and good putt, an eagle 2 is possible here, I could only manage a 3. Hole 3 is a shorter and flatter hole, under 300' basket to the right side. 4 is 250', also with the pin to the right, and very reachable. I will say get 'em when you can, you'll likely give some back sooner or later. On hole 5 I took advantage, parking a nice mid-range shot on the open patch of grass, 230' up the hill. 6 is a big par 5, with a long fairway climbing steadily uphill 505'. The middle is like a service road, with dense, wooded rough on either side keeping you honest. Not easy, but I got a terrific tee shot, and made a two putt par. Backed that up with a birdie on 7, short and uphill 185', with the pin surrounded by trees. 8 undid all my earlier success when I bonked off some trees, and missed a putt, for a bummer of a double bogey on a manageable par 3 hole. 9 is a fun downhill and fairly open 240' drive at the hole, but I two putted again and took par. That put me 1 over on the front 9. 10 tees behind the club house, another par 4, and open enough where I could park my approach and make birdie. The next hole would put me back over par, as I unfortunately made bogey on the woodsy 200' dinker. 12 is another par 4 measuring 430', and I got a 3 again, solid approach and putt. The next few holes were all wooded, between 275'-300', except for 16, which is a 415' par 4. Mud was heavy in places, but some boards and stepping stones helped a bit. Hole 18 left the woods and finished in the grass very near the parking lot. I made the final putt for another birdie 3 on a par 4. I on 5 par 4 holes, and the one par 5 hole I was -4, with 6 birdies on the round. If not for the bad roll on 1, and the bad bounce on 11, this would have easily been my best round of the entire trip. Still close to it anyhow, since I finished with a 1 under par (60).
Cons: My dog was not permitted on the course, even with a leash. I felt like a whining child, pleading with the Troll himself: "Please? He's a really good dog." No dogs allowed. They are welcome at the campground, just not on the disc golf course. There was heavy mud in places, due to heavy rains the night before. One basket with a lot of standing water, I think it might have been on hole 14. A couple of the tee pads had large fissures that could trip you up. Pay to play, worth it all the way.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course a lot, and the Troll is really pretty friendly, as was everyone else I met there. Very cool course. Might be over parred a little, allowing me to be under par, even with 2 double bogeys. So glad I was able to make the trip and play there. Proud to display the Troll Valley sticker on the rear window of my truck. Hope to return again some day, and I recommend a visit to anyone that loves playing great new courses.

no trolls at troll valley

2-4    4/30/2012   5/8/2012
Review By: BO555
Pros: friendly staff,well layed out course,well stocked snack shop,this place is also a camp ground (good for thoes weekends where you just want to get up early and start banging some chains!!!!)
Cons: some holes are a bit soggy this spring.
Other Thoughts: would love to play this course late summer or early fall when its all dryed up.and hope they start getting more players for there monday eve mix doubles turnys.

Not in yet but looking great

1    8/7/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: ejwernet
Pros: This course is in process of being installed. I showed up to play it in late July thinking it was in as it was listed on the PDGA site. Not so, but the owner walked me around (on his on volition!) about a third of the course to show me what was going on. The use of fairways, elevation and natural terrain will make this a go-to location. I did not see any reasons that the course won't eventually be fantastic!
Cons: Once it is in, this list might happen but until I really get to play it, I can not tell you any bad parts.
Other Thoughts: I just wish I was going to be in Farmington within the next couple of months to see this course and play it. Why didn't they think of this stuff when I was in college 20 years ago?!!! It would have been a great thing to do in Farmington!!!!