Forest Junction, WI
Freitag Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: icedpuck Hole #2 (Taken 9/2011)

Possible diamond in the extreme rough

1    8/10/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course that is nearly all in dense woods at Freitag Memorial Park.

Chainstar baskets that were in good condition and had large orange flags posted above them, which is almost a necessity if you haven't played here, as scouting is necessary on nearly every hole.

Decent concrete tee pads on ever hole. Level and grippy..but most are raised up above the ground a couple inches, instead of poured level . For me, they're long enough, but if you have a long run up, these could be a problem for you.

Long, tight fairways. Most holes have a single line you need to hit, and those lines aren't forgiving. You'll need to be super accurate to score decently here, and on the longer holes, you'll need a game plan to find suitable landing zones, as many fairways require two solid shots to get to the pin. I enjoyed it, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't.

I don't know if this is the norm, but there was a tube with maps and scorecards in it near hole 1.

The tee signs were solid, showing pin placements and distances quite well. Holes 1-8 were mounted on posts, a few were missing, and the others were leaning against posts on the ground.

As scruffy as this place was, it wasn't hard to find my discs (even off the fairway, which was often) while playing a solo round. I was actually very surprised...the rough is punishing in a golf sense, but it's bushes and trees, not horrible undergrowth.
Cons: This place is super scruffy. It's out in the middle of nowhere (Forest Junction isn't exactly a metropolis), and I doubt this place gets much traffic, which results in some unruly fairways.

No elevation or water here, but trust me, you won't mind. This place is tough enough without either.

The bugs...oh the bugs. I was there when it was dry, and musked up with bug spray before the round. By hole 4, I was putting another layer on...and I was still getting attacked. Other than some serious clearing, I don't know what could help this.

Other Thoughts: I'm very conflicted on this course. I can see the vision...and the hole designs, for the most part, are superb. If only it could get a Rollin' Ridge type makeover, it could be a top 20 course, IMO. The golf is that good, especially if you enjoy tight woods and long, accurate shot making. A couple holes felt too tight, and could stand to lose a tree here or there, though.

This is not the place to bring beginners. It's just too tough. I'd love to see some pros go out here and try to carve it up.

The adjoining park is nothing to write home about...it has a bit of a "Children of the Corn" feel to it. I felt like I was transported back to the 70's when I pulled in.

I know there has been some new blood taking charge of this course, and hopefully they're able to get the help they need to turn this into the absolute gem it could be.

Freitag Memorial DGC Review

2-4    8/20/2013   7/30/2014
Review By: FoxRacer23TW
Pros: The course is almost all inside a heavily wooded forest, making it a great challenge. It is a really long course, that takes skill to manage.
Cons: There is not enough effort put into this course to make it better. Its like trying to throw down a narrow hallway for almost every hole. The trees are thick, and causes a lot of frustration.
Other Thoughts: If some more time, effort, and money were put into this course, it would be a go to course. The signs need to be redone, and more accurate, as well as redo the pad's. If one could trim out some trees, shrubs, bushes, and other obstacles, it would make the course much more playable and fun to go to. The way it is right now, you will definitely smoke a ton of trees, potentially ruining your good discs. So bring bad ones just in case.

Trees everywhere!

1    5/19/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: There are concrete tees for all 18 holes which is always a plus. They are a little narrower than most but serve their purpose just fine. they are all level and grippy enough. There were signs at all but about 2 holes with a descriptive map of each hole with the 2 pin locations, hole layout, distances and an arrow to the next tee. The back nine were mostly on the ground but are there at least. The baskets looked like chainstars maybe. I'm not sure but they caught great and all had large orange flags on top of them which really helps to locate them on almost every hole with the denseness of the woods. They provided maps and scorecards before the first tee which is always nice. The map was very basic and hand drawn but served it's purpose. The flow of the course was pretty easy to follow, We didn't have much trouble.
Cons: The lanes are impossible. Straight up. Hole 1 is open and then 2 is fine but after that good luck. We went when there was barely any leaves on the trees and just stopped scoring after about hole 5. We still played all 18 but were averaging about 5 shots a hole so figured what's the point. I can't even imagine it's realistic to play it from June to October. There was also a TON of standing water all through the course. I would bet the bugs would be terrible in the summer.
Other Thoughts: With all that said we still had a good time here. It really will test your accuracy and I practiced throwing different discs and shots in the tight fairways which I enjoy. Most will not enjoy this however. This is really only worth a stop if you're trying to play as many courses as you can (like me). If the fairways were cleared better this is a really nice course. As is though it's just way too wooded to be fun for most players.

hidden

2-4    10/19/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: gnarff
Pros: Quiet secluded peaceful and a nice place to just take your time and hang out with friends plus challenging and playground, good tees, maps
Cons: Some muddy spots when wet, crazy bugs in summer, heavily wooded almost imposible not to hit trees, very tight course but good use limited space. Could be cleaned out better
Other Thoughts: Looks like they are still clearing out old dead trees and brush. has potential for great 9 but 18 might be to much

Brutally awesome

5+    12/1/2012   12/5/2012
Review By: GB Phil G
Pros: Im reviewing this course so people give it more of a chance. As per previous reviews its full of trees and the fairways at times are impossible. I love this. Its that kind of game where you can feel good about a five because it could have been an eight. It feels even better to execute a shot and not hit a tree. And there are about 5 or 6 birdie opportunities here so its not all bad.
Cons: Bugs and wetness own the course spring and summer. Not fun. I play in fall. Because of this the underbrush will never get beaten down by disc golf traffic. Other cons..... Theres MAYBE four too many trees on the whole course. Casual players probably hate the tight fairways that I love.
Other Thoughts: Rating it a high 4.0 because thats where the fun factor is for me. I want others to come in fall and see the completed 18 holes here. Bring tough discs, plan on throwing a 64 or worse, and have fun.

Not worth the drive

1    9/18/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: Flicker77
Pros: It's free. Cement tee pads in many locations (not all). Flags on all baskets so they are easy to see from a distance. Each tee has a nicely detailed map of the hole.
Cons: The brush needs attention, the fairways are NARROW, I like playing wooded courses, but this is almost too heavily wooded. If you have your disc go even a few feet off the fairway, you may end up spending more time looking for the disc in the heavy brush than playing the course. Wear your old shoes because the mud and water is abundant all over the course.
Other Thoughts: I was warned by many players to just steer clear but had to at least give it a shot. I gave up after 5 holes, which is saying alot. I walked the remainder of the course and felt that it really struck me as an ATV trail with baskets and tee boxes laced throughout rather than a disc golf course. It has the potential to be a very nice course, but just isn't getting the attention it needs.

Needs more attention

1    5/28/2012   6/8/2012
Pros: 1) Dual tees are always a plus.
2) Nice newer baskets.
3) Trapezoidal concrete on some of the tees.
4) Excellent property for disc golf with mature trees, tight fairways, and
5) Nice signs on the front 9, I think the back were temporary and many were missing, but the front 9 look very nice and have Hole #, Par, Distance, and a map, along with sponsors.
6) Mailbox with a course map on it, although I think I took the last one, I suppose I should have returned it but I was running out of the woods so as to not catch west nile virus from the hundreds of mosquitoes that stung me.
Cons: 1) It is virtually unplayable due to the rough underbrush lining the fairways. The fairways aren't even fair because of the underbrush truthfully. I would recommend over the top shots on this course rather than trying to throw the fairways.
2) Extremely wet area, I could tell the land this was put onto floods easily. It even looked like they were trying to create raised fairways, albeit 5-8' wide.
3) Mosquitoes and bugs were so annoying it was hard to even throw. I recommend going in a different season than spring or summer.
4) Some tees had signs, some were gone or hard to find.
Other Thoughts: Bottom line is this course is not completely playable as it is. Perhaps a different season would be better, but right now it needs a lot of work before I would even think of returning. I know the locals were working on the new private course, but someone could have continued to spend some time out here keeping the buckthorn down or leveling teepads.
It's hard to even say much more than this, I couldn't play the back 9 because the holes were tough to find and the bugs were insane. I won't hold it against the course at this point but I need to state what I felt about it as it stands right now. I hope to see the course improve because I think it is a great property for disc golf.

Not worth the trip

1    11/14/2011   12/24/2011
Review By: Banging Chains
Pros: The original 9 holes have nice concrete pads.
Offers something a little different.
Quiet.
Cons: Most of the holes were almost unplayable. Couldn't find most of the back 9 and the ones we did were over grown. No elevation or Water.
Other Thoughts: If someone took the time to love this course it could become something nice.

Pindisc Wizard

1    9/17/2011   9/17/2011
Review By: icedpuck
Pros: Nice cement tee pads, baskets in good shape, clean, the signs that are left on the tee posts are very helpful, a well used path brings you thru the first nine, very technical course (I was over my head) and seems that hardly anyone plays here.
Cons: Too many trees in my opinion makes it hard to get distance before hitting 1, 2 or 3 of them in one throw. Tee signs missing off 4, 6 and 8 tee posts. Tee post for 9 is none existent. Foilage is thick in some spots.
Other Thoughts: I went here after reading the reviews hoping I could figure out the back nine and post pictures. Was able to locate 5 of 9 of the elusive inner loop but could not discern where to throw from. Bring your A game here, if you can't throw multiple s curves you will be hitting trees and looking for your discs.

Rough Stuff

1    5/15/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: Doctor Faustus
Pros: We went to try this course on a very windy day mostly because it was a tight heavily wooded course and we felt that the heavy woods would cut down some of the wind. It is located in a nice quiet neighborhood and most likely be sparsely populated by other people. You'll have your privacy on this one.
Cons: We tried to play all 18 holes, a few we couldn't find because it was so poorly marked. A few were completely unplayable (overgrown or tee pads underwater). This course needs A LOT of work.
Other Thoughts: It seems to me that this would be a wonderful course for a Disc Golf Club to donate time and energy to upkeep. The holes were challenging and fun, I could see where this course could be one of the better courses in the Fox River Valley. But it needs better markers, a haircut, and a map.