Wilmington, DE

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Fun Course - Will go Back

2-4    5/28/2015   9/28/2015
Review By: Horsman
Pros: - Concrete Teepads are nice and are not too worn in so you get some good grip off of them.
- Multiple Pin placements on a lot of the holes.
- Hills, Hiils, Hills. There are a lot of fun shots out there, where you are throwing from on top of, the bottom of and on the side of some pretty big hills. 100'+ drops or increases in elevation of some holes, make you think about more than just what distance you need to throw your disc.
- Very easy to get to and even if it is not for you then just getting lost and driving around in the area is beautiful.
- Some great scenery from some of the high points on the course. Walking around and not playing would be a joy but having a disc golf course there is great.
- There are a lot of very well placed baskets on this course. There seemed to be a lot of thought into where they should all go. A lot of risk reward shots so you get to choose what type of golf you want to play. Very fun.
- Big Parking Lot.
- Flow from hole to hole was pretty seamless for the most part, there was only maybe 1 hole where I had issues.
Cons: - Finding hole 1 took me a while and I only found it because there were other people that were walking to it. A sign pointing you in the right direction would be nice.
- I believe it was getting to hole 10 where I had the only issue with not knowing where the hole was but after 15 min of walking around I did find it.
- I did not know that 17 had a long tee until I played the hole in a tourney and thats where we played form.
- The tee pad on hole 4 needs some work. Its just a walking path and there is no clear cut point to where you have to tee from. Its a long hole and behind the tee there is pretty much no run up so it is kinda annoying.
Other Thoughts: - You do have to pay to park at the course so keep that in mind when you go there.
- There are quite a few blind shots at the course so if you are playing it for the first time be prepared to do a lot of walking up to find the holes.

- Overall I really really enjoyed playing this course and would suggest that if anybody is in there area then you should play it. If I am ever back in Delaware I will 100% play it again.

Searching for discs.

2-4    8/10/2015   8/10/2015
Review By: SpacemanSpiff23
Pros: Concrete teepads.

Beautiful scenery.

Good signage.
Cons: The rough off the fairways as so thick that unless you are standing on top of your disc you will not find it.

Most holes are just point and shoot with no real shot shaping. Throwing off the fairway doesn't make your next throw more difficult, you just lose your disc.

Other Thoughts: I lost a disc here last time I played, and the park called me up and said that someone had turned it in. We decided to play the course while we were there, and that's where are troubles began. it took us 7 hours to play through the course twice, and most of that time was looking for discs that went just a few feet off the fairway. The brush is so thick and tall that it is almost impossible to find the disc you threw even if you saw it go in. On a positive note, since this is such a common problem we ended up finding 12 discs and only lost 2 of our own. Maybe they mow the brush at some point during the year but right now I would say the course is unplayable unless you are 100% sure you can land it on the fairway every time.

The layout is all wide open shots so your shot selection will usually be your favorite driver at full power, and a putter.

Open, Vast, Windy, Hilly

1    4/25/2015   4/28/2015
Review By: nwinnie34
Pros: Beautiful course, well maintained, great variety of shots, awesome views and a very cool feel from the course with how many streams surround the area and the super old rock walls were impressive. Visually appealing course
Cons: Whew..... hills.... open.... no woods, nothing in the way, no tricky shots, open open open. The only skill you need for this course is being able to throw distance.

Poor signage, most of the signs on the course were blank, luckily I went with someone who has played the course or I would have gotten lost 2-3 times.

Course is made for huge throwers, massive uphill holes, massive downhill holes, very few times I was forced to use forehand or a tomahawk, every hole is vast and required very little planning.
Other Thoughts: Great course, I prefer a more wooded course with obstacles and trees. Cannot stand having to shoot 500-600 feet up a hill, on the flip side, shooting down a 500-600 foot hole is pretty fun.

I'd go back... but if i was local to here I may personally find a course that suits me a little better.

needs polishing and reconsideration

1    8/9/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: Mythy
This review was updated on 8/30/2014
Pros: All holes have a diagram of the hole

Nice Scenery

Wide open park with plenty of room
Cons: Hills.... lots of 'em.

Poor Navigation

Hole layout doesn't take advantage of terrain

Zero wooded holes

Inconsistent hole difficulty.

OOB is Briars, Prickers and Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: It was my intent to play here as part of a 3 day jaunt which included a little bit of discing while visiting friends in three states (PA, NJ, DE). Of the four courses I had on the list, this was the only one that I made it to, it left me wishing I had chosen a different one.

Finding the first tee (and any tees for that matter) was made difficult by lack of directional signage or an available map.

The grass was ALL crabgrass, mowed crabgrass, but crabgrass nevertheless crawling with little crawling bugs that resembled sand fleas at the beach.

Some of the "fairways" were no wider than walking paths leaving no aid for an intermediate distance player, and as previously mentioned OOB are thick with Prickers and Poison Ivy...

ZERO wooded holes unless you would count the pin tucked into the back end of the second grove on 14 requiring a complete circumnavigation of trees to get around to the pin on a par 4...

The pin placement could be laid out so much better to create a smoother, more enjoyable course... Instead I found myself going down a hill in the hot sun to the pin only to play back up the same hill to the next pin... The "paths" or "tight fairways" on the holes are completely unforgiving leaving beginning layers chasing errant throws into prickers...

Course is passable, but with the tight "almost fairways", minimal signing, and a layout that just runs you up and down hills, there must be a better layout that this course could be reconfigured to, OR there might be a more fun course nearby. With potential a little polishing, a little more friendly OOB landscaping (it could still be OOB, but does it need thorns? I think not), and a small layout change might improve things

Good Course in the Wilm. Area

5+    6/9/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: mhstoia
Pros: Beautiful, larger fairways, and good variety. Most holes are straight, or off to the right, so straight disc and disc with good turn are encouraged. I usually throw a Destroyer on straight, and a Sidewinder/Beast on those right of center (RHBH Thrower)
Cons: Wind, and the occasional hole where throwing your disc in the tall rough seems unavoidable (hole 11)
Other Thoughts: Favorite course I have played in Delaware so far.

Will Definitely Play Again

1    6/7/2014   6/10/2014
Review By: IAMGT
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Change of elevation
-Variety in types of holes
-Multiple holes that leave you with the thought you would love to play that hole again
-Concrete Tee Pads
-Can be easy and difficult at the same time
-Tee boxes are always within eye sight of where you are finishing off
-Signs do give a general idea as to where you should be throwing
Cons: -Many tee boxes are close to the pins from the previous hole which could make it dangerous if there are many people on the course
-not always clear which Pin the basket is in
-Make sure you have a spotter on holes where the grass is high or you will never find your disc. Couple of blind holes require a spotter as well
Other Thoughts: After playing Iron hill in the morning, and White clay right after that, my friends and I were unsure as to whether we wanted to make the trek to Brandywine. After relaxing for a half hour, we made the decision to go because of what some friends of ours had said about the course. We could not have been happier or more rewarded. This is a really beautiful memorable course. There were so many holes that as we stood on the box, we thought this was a sweet looking hole. There is not a ton of variety in the types of shots you have to throw at this course, but you definitely want to keep your disc in site because tall grass and thick woods can grab your disc quickly. I am always a fan of Innova disc catchers, but the mach baskets were usually easy to find because of the open layout. The downhill throws such as I think 11, 14, and 15 are really picturesque holes that are the types that you say to yourself....I would really love to ace this. Being only a half hour from finishing at White clay earlier in the day....I would recommend this course to anyone close to it. My friends and I all agreed that out of the three, would probably all choose to play Brandywine again before Iron Hill, and lastly White Clay. The open layout allows for novice players to score well, but the challenge of distance and accuracy can really push an experienced player.

Be accurate

2-4    11/10/2013   11/12/2013
Review By: argo_yamato
This review was updated on 4/18/2014
Pros: It plays pretty long with lots of hills. A few of the downhill holes allow for some big drives. It is a very scenic course and has a few water hazards to deal with.

The signage is OK for the most part.
Cons: Thick disc eating brush. You can see where it has been mowed on some holes but on others not so much. Quite easy to miss a fairway and lose one in the high thorny rough.

The tee pads are concrete but a few are uneven and cracked in places.
Other Thoughts: Bringing water and sunscreen is a good idea. The course is really nice but there is very little shade and it can get hot.

You do have to pay but it is only $6 if you are out of state. So if you go car pooling is a good idea, splitting a $6 parking fee among a few people is not a big deal.

Older, Physically Demanding Scenic Course!

1    7/17/2013   8/20/2013
Pros: Brandywine Creek DGC must have been a monster course 30 years ago when it first opened. Even today it's length, many uphill throws, constant winds, narrow fairways and hostile roughs can make it a tough day at the office.
The park is a lovely piece of land with some epic views of the surrounding countryside. There is a kiosk at the start as well as a practice basket and picnic table.
The tee pads are getting a little on the old side. The baskets, although older, still catch well enough.

# 4 is pretty much an epic hole being a long downhill over a creek with some nasty rough along the way to get you into some serious trouble.
Cons: $6 out of state plates gets a little costly after playing more than a few of these Delaware state parks courses.

The ever present winds certainly could lead to some frustrating rounds.

#9 struck me as a particularly diabolical hole especially after trudging uphill on the previous holes in the sweltering sun. And after finally reaching the top of the hill on # 9 and finding the basket hidden way in the little wooded grove, I knew this course was well beyond my pay grade.
Other Thoughts: I wish when I played Brandywine that I known of the significance of the rock walls. Hell, I thought they were built by disc golfers recently. The course is beautiful and challenging. It's just not the course to play by yourself at the end of a hot day after already playing four other courses that day.

Very upset at my visit

1    6/14/2013   6/27/2013
Review By: dsmdave
Pros: Beautiful setting in a very nice park.
Great layout of the holes to see many parts of the park.
Cons: The signage for the park is terrible and needs updated.
This course is a disc eater full of poison ivy. It has some big throws but discourages this by staying narrow. If they just knocked down the fields it would get a better rating from me.
It gets windy.
Some new pins or flags on top of the pins would also be helpful so that they can be seen from the t pad.

The granddaddy of me all in DE

5+    6/21/2013   6/21/2013
Review By: Jblevins
Pros: Great elevation and challenging winds. Bring your big boy pants and prepare to walk a lot of hills. Good concrete tee pads. Great contrast to the newer, tighter, more technical Canby park west.
Cons: Hills are a blessing and a curse. When wind is blowing the beast and some other holes can become nightmarish. Sticker bushes and underbrush can be a bane in early summer.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5