Lakewood, WA
Fort Steilacoom Park - Northwest Share

Not sure if I even played a designed hole.

5+    7/9/2014   5/31/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 7/10/2014
Pros: There is plenty of variety between long holes and short technical holes with wonderful elevation changes. Most of the tee signs, tee pads and baskets are in excellent condition. There are many alternate tees and baskets that will keep the course fresh. There are lots of benches to sit down at when you need them.
Cons: The course is impossible to navigate, even when you find a tee sign it has four different options to play and almost none of the baskets have numbers on them so you think you are throwing to the right basket but there are three others around that could be the right basket as well. I don't think I even played a designed hole the entire day, I just threw my drive and went for the nearest basket I could find and made it up as I went along. I asked a group of locals and they said they play it thier own way and that there isn't really a number "1" or a "18" hole because it can be played many different ways so even the locals don't know how it's played! I was frustrated by all of this and it drained a lot of the fun out of it for me. Also my buddy left a disc in a bush accidentally and he went back for it about fifteen minutes later and it was gone and no one called him to give it back. Due to the many versions of the course people were playing, the course became a cluster with people playing different holes but playing the same baskets or fairways.
Other Thoughts: The course eventually goes to another part of the park in the back nine (I think) that is totally different from the rolling hills and long open drives and is a more technical, shorter area that is much easier to navigate. If this course was just that, one course with signs and got rid of the confusion it would be a four star course for sure. If you don't mind making up your own way to play then you won't mind too much and if you like to play a standard 18 holes then you should avoid this.

2014 UPDATE:

This course along with the SE are both much easier to navigate and enjoy than they were when I first played this course ten years ago. Rating bump -

Reviewing the Home Course

5/10/2008   5/10/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: My ratings are probably a bit biased, as this is my home course and one I play at least several times a week, but I think that this is my favorite place I have ever played, and I have played Morley, DelaVeaga, and a couple dozen other courses throughout the country. It has a wide variety of hole types, uphill, downhill, short, long, blind, tight, and wide open. The signage is constantly improving, and if you haven't ever been here before, the chances are good you can latch onto a group so that you can find your way around. The maintenance level here is also outstanding. From when I started playing the course 15 years ago or so, it has been cleaned up and professionalized immensely.
Cons: I wish there were some holes that involved water, for one. Of course, other than building a man made lake, this is just impossible. Also, I miss the maps that used to be displayed here on the bulletin board near the parking lot. Although I can play the pro, alt, NW, SE, 27, amateur, and a few others that we have invented from memory, I realize that many people can't. Even if the maps were available online, or at least one map of each course was posted, it would be an improvement.

Ft. Steilacoom Park's Northwest 18

5+    8/18/2013   4/17/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 8/17/2014
Pros:
Located next to a corrections facility on a 40 acre lot, Ft. Steilacoom NW is the most technical and challenging course of the three. It includes several varieties of trees and other native growthfoliage. It was designed to take advantage of the terrain, presenting multiple approaches to the pin off the tee, use of elevation shots, and even the occasional OB to make things more interesting. This course provides a great deal of challenges and requires every shot in the bag. There are several tight fairway shots, rewarding precision and placement over the big open drives like on the SW course. Tee pads are all cement and in pretty good shape, along with nice baskets and NEW tee signs. Tournaments are a blast to play here as well since a lot of the locals are out there and helping to navigate throughout the course. The local course pro is very helpful and informative, and sells discs if needed
Cons:
Like the other two courses, this course can to be difficult to navigate for first timers. There are several areas that have cement tee pads due to the old layouts but if you just be on the lookout for the new tee signs which provide pin locations and distance from the tee to each basket. Hopefully over time they will continue to remove some of the older tee pads now that they have three "official" layouts here at Ft. Steilacoom.
This course, in my opinion, rates as the hardest course to play in terms of difficulty and course navigation (Ray's 9 being the easiest and the Southeast 18 being in the middle). All memorable and well worth anybody's time as an all day event or a single round. They are all unique and unlike the other and continue to get better with age. Since the time of its installation in 1986, the local club has gone above and beyond to keep these courses not only stay in the ground but also flourish. As of 2014, Ft. Steilacoom has been added as an NT on the PDGA tour which says a lot! My hats off to all those who were able to make this happen as all your hard work has not gone unnoticed.