Lakewood, WA
Fort Steilacoom Park - Northwest Share

Not sure if I even played a designed hole.

5+    7/9/2014   5/31/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 7/10/2014
Pros: There is plenty of variety between long holes and short technical holes with wonderful elevation changes. Most of the tee signs, tee pads and baskets are in excellent condition. There are many alternate tees and baskets that will keep the course fresh. There are lots of benches to sit down at when you need them.
Cons: The course is impossible to navigate, even when you find a tee sign it has four different options to play and almost none of the baskets have numbers on them so you think you are throwing to the right basket but there are three others around that could be the right basket as well. I don't think I even played a designed hole the entire day, I just threw my drive and went for the nearest basket I could find and made it up as I went along. I asked a group of locals and they said they play it thier own way and that there isn't really a number "1" or a "18" hole because it can be played many different ways so even the locals don't know how it's played! I was frustrated by all of this and it drained a lot of the fun out of it for me. Also my buddy left a disc in a bush accidentally and he went back for it about fifteen minutes later and it was gone and no one called him to give it back. Due to the many versions of the course people were playing, the course became a cluster with people playing different holes but playing the same baskets or fairways.
Other Thoughts: The course eventually goes to another part of the park in the back nine (I think) that is totally different from the rolling hills and long open drives and is a more technical, shorter area that is much easier to navigate. If this course was just that, one course with signs and got rid of the confusion it would be a four star course for sure. If you don't mind making up your own way to play then you won't mind too much and if you like to play a standard 18 holes then you should avoid this.

2014 UPDATE:

This course along with the SE are both much easier to navigate and enjoy than they were when I first played this course ten years ago. Rating bump -

Reviewing the Home Course

5/10/2008   5/10/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: My ratings are probably a bit biased, as this is my home course and one I play at least several times a week, but I think that this is my favorite place I have ever played, and I have played Morley, DelaVeaga, and a couple dozen other courses throughout the country. It has a wide variety of hole types, uphill, downhill, short, long, blind, tight, and wide open. The signage is constantly improving, and if you haven't ever been here before, the chances are good you can latch onto a group so that you can find your way around. The maintenance level here is also outstanding. From when I started playing the course 15 years ago or so, it has been cleaned up and professionalized immensely.
Cons: I wish there were some holes that involved water, for one. Of course, other than building a man made lake, this is just impossible. Also, I miss the maps that used to be displayed here on the bulletin board near the parking lot. Although I can play the pro, alt, NW, SE, 27, amateur, and a few others that we have invented from memory, I realize that many people can't. Even if the maps were available online, or at least one map of each course was posted, it would be an improvement.

Steilacoom DGC

5+    8/18/2007   4/17/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 6/2/2012
Pros:
Although the course is located next to a corrections facility, this 40 acre lot is full of landscape, including several trees and other native growth, rolling hills, elevation shots, and some OB's. This course provides a great deal of challenges and requires every shot in the bag. There are several tight fairway shots, some uphill and downhill shots, big open drives, and big putts on the side of hills. This course has a lot of variety and incorporates a lot of the land and elements. Tee pads for the most part are all cement and in pretty good shape along with the tee signs. Tournaments are a blast to play here as well since a lot of the locals are out there and helping to navigate throughout the course. The local course pro is very helpful and informative, and sells discs if needed
Cons:
The course can be really confusing for first timers. There are old tee pads everywhere and with so many baskets it can be easy to make up a new hole by accident. I have played the course three or four times and still get confused and overwhelmed. Baskets are a little run down and trash and vandalism can be a problem at times. However, I know many locals are pro active and try hard to keep the place clean.
Fort Steilacoom DGC could be the best course in the state if they took the time to reconfigure the layout. They have plenty of room and materials for a professional 27 hole course. It could be the De LaVeaga of the Northwest!!! There is so much potential here at Fort Steilacoom and if fixed, this course truely could be excellent!

UPDATE:
Due to funds from team golf, the course will be adding new tee signs to both courses which should fix a lot of the issues at this course. I look forward to playing and hopefully adjusting my rating accordingly. However, there are TWO distinct courses here and they should fix the course information on dgcr and nwdiscgolfforums to show this as they are unique in their own way.