Lakewood, WA

1 2 3 Next >
 Reviewing the Home Course

5/10/2008   5/10/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: My ratings are probably a bit biased, as this is my home course and one I play at least several times a week, but I think that this is my favorite place I have ever played, and I have played Morley, DelaVeaga, and a couple dozen other courses throughout the country. It has a wide variety of hole types, uphill, downhill, short, long, blind, tight, and wide open. The signage is constantly improving, and if you haven't ever been here before, the chances are good you can latch onto a group so that you can find your way around. The maintenance level here is also outstanding. From when I started playing the course 15 years ago or so, it has been cleaned up and professionalized immensely.
Cons: I wish there were some holes that involved water, for one. Of course, other than building a man made lake, this is just impossible. Also, I miss the maps that used to be displayed here on the bulletin board near the parking lot. Although I can play the pro, alt, NW, SE, 27, amateur, and a few others that we have invented from memory, I realize that many people can't. Even if the maps were available online, or at least one map of each course was posted, it would be an improvement.

Ft. Steilacoom Park's Northwest 18

5+    8/18/2013   4/17/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 8/17/2014
Pros:
Located next to a corrections facility on a 40 acre lot, Ft. Steilacoom NW is the most technical and challenging course of the three. It includes several varieties of trees and other native growthfoliage. It was designed to take advantage of the terrain, presenting multiple approaches to the pin off the tee, use of elevation shots, and even the occasional OB to make things more interesting. This course provides a great deal of challenges and requires every shot in the bag. There are several tight fairway shots, rewarding precision and placement over the big open drives like on the SW course. Tee pads are all cement and in pretty good shape, along with nice baskets and NEW tee signs. Tournaments are a blast to play here as well since a lot of the locals are out there and helping to navigate throughout the course. The local course pro is very helpful and informative, and sells discs if needed
Cons:
Like the other two courses, this course can to be difficult to navigate for first timers. There are several areas that have cement tee pads due to the old layouts but if you just be on the lookout for the new tee signs which provide pin locations and distance from the tee to each basket. Hopefully over time they will continue to remove some of the older tee pads now that they have three "official" layouts here at Ft. Steilacoom.
This course, in my opinion, rates as the hardest course to play in terms of difficulty and course navigation (Ray's 9 being the easiest and the Southeast 18 being in the middle). All memorable and well worth anybody's time as an all day event or a single round. They are all unique and unlike the other and continue to get better with age. Since the time of its installation in 1986, the local club has gone above and beyond to keep these courses not only stay in the ground but also flourish. As of 2014, Ft. Steilacoom has been added as an NT on the PDGA tour which says a lot! My hats off to all those who were able to make this happen as all your hard work has not gone unnoticed.

what a mess

3/8/2008   3/8/2008
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
-Amazing amout of "potential"
-Lots of fun tee shots.
-Fun with a guide.
-Great terrain.
Cons:
-No guide, no way!
-Multiple types of baskets, most in crappy condition
-Teepads are questionable at times
-Marooned teepads everywhere.
I don't know how many ways I can say that it's a bad idea to have what seems to be 40 teepads strewn out over a course with 27 (i think) baskets. It's a total mess, and I even had a guide when I played it.

This chunk of land has SO MUCH potential,it's unfortunate that the locals can't figure anything out and make some concrete decisions on what to do. Hopefully someone will step up and take that task on.

OK, Now They Got It Right!

5+    8/21/2003   2/21/2008
This review was updated on 8/2/2014
Pros: This is one of the two 18 courses on sight (SE being the other). The local club has finally finished the design and the NW course, while still a little confusing is way better than previous layouts. The new NW courses incorporates just a couple holes from the original which were, for the most part, well thought out and challenging. Besides sitting in the prettiest section of the park, the NW course has nice large concrete pads, well defined walking paths between holes and most of the baskets have a nice little red arrow pointing to the next tee pad. The new signs are basic with the info you need. I happened to walk the course today during a national NIT event so all baskets were in the long and most difficult positions. These holes are both challenging in their technical aspect and daunting in their length. There are some fun downhill throws to be had on this 18.

There are multiple practice baskets up near the parking lot. The large parking lot as ample parking and there is a large open fields for practicing your drives.
Cons: Speaking strictly for the NW course, navigation looks to be about an 8/10 which is not bad for such a wooded course.
The course is certainly not set up for beginners or family. It's a Intermediate and above course. There are plenty of long, tight holes requiring both a big arm and pin point accuracy off the tee.
Vandalism has been a problem at Stilly for 30 years but today I saw no evidence of any.
Other Thoughts: This course is now a must visit among Washington courses. # 1 is still a bit difficult to find. It's a very short walk 150' down the street towards the entrance. The tee pad is stuck back in the bushes
I can't say enough what a wonderful job the local club has done getting this courses up and running. as pleasently surprised.
The rating that I previously gave this course ( 4 stars) has been bothering me for quite some time now. After some thought, I've decided that because this course is so incredibly confusing for a first time player/visitor that it just can't be rated that high and that I was probably letting my home boy bias factor in to my rating.

RATINGS UPDATE: I've been perhaps one of the harshest critics over the years of Ft. Steilacoom's over abundance of pads and baskets. The NW course is such a upgrade over the old confusing layouts that have been in place. My rating on this course has gone from 4 to 3 and now back to a solid 4 and close to a 4.5. I can only tip my hat to the local disc golf club!

Lost potential from too many confusing layouts

1    6/9/2007   8/9/2007
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 10/30/2008
Pros: The map book shows 14 different layouts! The local players must like lots of variety.
Cons: There's a Chinese story about an over zealous artist who made a very good drawing of a snake but he kept adding to his picture and ruined it by adding legs. It means that some good things can be ruined by continuing to add too much, and this is the case at Fort Steilacoom. The course map shows 14 different layouts that combine tees and baskets in a multitude of configurations! I've never seen a course with so many different layouts. Although the locals must like the variety it's horrendous for a newcomer to try to navigate! When you add to it that the tee signs aren't very good, and many have been vandalized the course is incredibly frustrating to navigate. In addition there are serious safety issues from crossing fairways as people are playing alternate layouts. Discs could be flying all over the place. One reviewer suggested wearing a football helmet to stay safe. The course pro should keep in mind that "Frustration foils fun" and this course is extremely frustrating to navigate. There's some nice terrain there and some nice holes, so I think it would be a lot better to reduce the number of layouts and focus on making 27 good holes with tees and baskets that are easy to find and well maintained.
Other Thoughts: Course Level- I'm guessing White level, but the course was so confusing that I have little confidence in knowing what layouts the holes I played were really part of, thus I'm not sure of their lengths, so I can't determine the level.

1 2 3 Next >