Berrien Springs, MI
Andrews University Share
Uploaded By: MGroothuis Hole #7 (Taken 7/2010)
3 / 378ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

A horrible letdown

1    8/14/2014   8/16/2014
Review By: Tony Koch
Pros: -At a nice looking campus.
-Not many people playing here in the summer.
-Very nice and large tees which include brooms to sweep stuff off.
-Oddly placed holes. (See cons)
-Chances to really air out your discs.
Cons: -Oddly placed holes. This is a pro and a con. In my mind, having a few holes that are in weird or hard to get to spots is okay. But Andrews has WAY too many. The hole where you have to throw through pine trees is laughable because there is a tiny opening so technically you can see the hole. A few holes have awful sharp left turns. Most beginner-moderate players including myself probably hate these because your precision has to be dead on.
-Hole 5 I think is pathetic, you can't even see the hole!!! I love whipping discs but this is just a dumb distance.
-Now some of the holes are okay, but the real problem here is the general layout...
-No maps or any signage that indicates where to head to for the next hole. (Wait, you have BROOMS but no maps?! Cmon man!)
-LONG walks. These usually aren't a huge deal, but this place has numerous ones after hole 5. Ridiculous.
-And many are hard to find. They could be anywhere.
Other Thoughts: -Here's the story, my buddy and I played here and we didn't even get to hole 13 or 14 because we couldn't find it. And this was after we searched endlessly all game for each hole. This showed what we thought of the course, so bored of looking for holes that we just stopped.
-The reviews here got me so excited for this course. MAYBE if there was a lot more signage it would be better, but overall for me it was an enormous letdown.

Decent Course

2-4    6/12/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: hfolk
Pros: Nice open course, allowing for some nice practice on your drives. It allowed me to try out a few of my new discs, with out the fear of losing them to weeds or drilling a tree.

In great condition, the school takes care of it and players seem to respect the course.

Went on a Friday and we were the only ones on the course, not sure if its because school was out for the summer, or not a busy course, but it was nice to play with out feelings rushed.

Cons: Very difficult to navigate to the next hole. Suggest you bring a smart phone with the photos loaded, that way you can pull up the pictures of the tees, so you can know which way to head.

Parking can be confusing. We parked by the music building and walked to hole one located on the other side of the building.

Granted we went in the beginning of the season when bugs were bad, but with in the hour and half it took to play through, we had countless mosquito bites!
Other Thoughts: BRING BUG SPRAY!
Look at the pictures for tees so you don't get completely lost and spend half your day looking for next hole.
Not a very challenging course but a good time killer.

Let 'er Rip!

5+    6/17/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: EagleWings
Pros: Great long drives, mostly open shots. Placement and distance is needed, though not too much accuracy. The concrete tees are a great addition to the course, and make it very fun to play. Many thanks to Greg Morrow, the AU Aquatics director and designer of the course. This course has a nice amount of difficulty, but plenty of 'easy,' long, open drives.
Cons: The course can be hard to navigate for a new player. I don't find this to be an issue since I go to school at Andrews and play on this course VERY frequently.
If you're used to a tightly wooded, accuracy demanding layout such as the course in Niles, MI, you may not like how (relatively) little accuracy this course requires.
Other Thoughts: For those who are not as comfortable with the campus, I am working on creating an accurate map of the course, using GPS readings of tees, baskets, and many of the trees. Cannot say when this will be complete.
In the meantime, check the Hole Tips. I posted several brief descriptions about the holes and common ways to throw them.

Please respect the campus. The course is closed from sundown Friday evening to sundown Saturday evening each week for Sabbath. No smoking, alcohol, or drugs are allowed on the campus or the course.
This course is free, so is this so much to ask?
I'm surprised the University doesn't charge for such a nice course.

New Map Needed---So, I made one! :)

1    12/17/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic- Plays through a gorgeous campus in southwest Michigan. The campus itself and the surrounding area is beautiful. BEWARE, the campus has OTHER PEOPLE on it and could pose a hazard, be careful.

Baskets-ChainStars- in great repair and easy to see.

Teesigns/pads- Teesigns seem to have accurate distances on them and the pads seem to face the baskets

Unique looks- there are many unique looks here that you don't expect on a campus course. the mini-tunnel on #13, the tight ceiling on #17 and many other places have impressive looks.

Challenge/Variety- I tend to disagree with the review that said this is not a beginner course. the length is fair and the pars are adjusted on the longer holes. VERY beginner friendly.
Cons:
NAVIGATION- I can't say enough how much you need a map and a good review. I used disc'n'dav's review EXTENSIVELY to help navigate. I made a map to reflect the new layout and had timg remove the outdated map.

Teepads-not in the best repair and potentially could be slick when wet.

Potential danger- crossing roads, paths and other busy areas with students can be tricky and dangerous if you're not careful
please respect this campus. no drinking, smoking or unruly behavior is not too much to ask

tough to navigate

1    9/17/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: On a college campus which is very well maintained with cut grass and no litter seen.

The newer baskets are great!

This course can be LONG in places which is a bonus since I like throwing 2 drives sometimes rather than approach shots. Lots of a variety of shots required (once you find the tees).

Not tightly wooded, you shoot around large mature trees on most of the holes.

Very scenic landscaped campus.
Cons: Terrible navigation problems, the course simply isn't marked very well. I met another lost golfer while trying to find hole 1 so we played together which made it easier. Without my notes from another review, I would not of found several holes. Look for the wooded post but these aren't always obvious from the previous basket.

LONG walks between some holes especially btw 13 and 14, go right of the building, cross the street, go left some more.

Cross the street and play a hole, cross back sometimes, see other thoughts.

The info on the tee posts shows the distance but no indication of left or right or straight, twice we shot at the wrong basket in view.

The tee pads are plastic green fencing nailed into the ground and can be slippery. Several times I stepped to the left or right of them.

Pedestrians can slow play since you are on a campus.
Other Thoughts: I didn't notice the yellow ribbons on the baskets pointing you towards the next tee until hole 7.

Under directions, I added go the past main college campus to L on Grove and then L on Walnut Ct, this will put you near #1.

I didn't register and didn't know I was suppose to until now.

Print the map here but as reviewed earlier
7 is now 1, 8 is now 2, 9 is now 3 and so on.

Cross the street after 3 to 4.

Cross the street btw 6 and 7.

Cross the street to #9, tee is near shed.

Cross the street #10, behind the gatehouse, the basket is a dogleg left, not the one you see on the right.

Backtrack towards 10 to get to 11.

Cross the street for #13.

#14 tee is bitch to find, the basket is long and left not long and straight (that's #15 basket).

#17 tee is L and behind the row of pine trees.

Here's how to read the map!!

2-4    9/3/2012   8/24/2012
Review By: YRNINVegas
This review was updated on 9/24/2012
Pros: Mown grass, no worries about losing discs when playing alone (except for maybe 14 if you shank a hyzer into the woods, for you RHBHers...)
Clean campus. Andrews holds high standards for its students and its facilities. Props.
Different looks from the tees. There were some interesting thoughts about lines on some, while there were enough grip-n-rips to maintain some levity.
Excellent baskets (even though one of my putts got summarily spit out)
Tee signs are simple and elegant.
Distance range is good, from a 218 uphill wooded to a number of 275-ish ace-if you're-brilliant-and-too-lucky-to-not-be-in-a-casino, with 3 holes over 500. Nice variety.
No crowds, but I play mid-afternoons when normal people work. Crossed paths with one other player.
Cons: Flow is broken by some loooooonnnnng walks. Again, 13 to 14 pretty much lost me, except I was able to log into this site to get a clue from another reviewer.
8 has some poison ivy under the trees designed to kidnap errant tomahawks.
Tees are brutal. 9's is a concrete extension from the sidewalk now, about 20' ahead of the tee's signpost.
17 is not visible from 16 basket. You have to go past the bushes into what you might think is someone's backyard.
There are NO trashcans and only one portapotty in The Grove near 14 tee.
It would be difficult to hold any events here, as SDA prohibits use of the course from Friday dusk through Saturday for Sabbath.
Other Thoughts: Word is the U bought the materials to build concrete teepads, but don't have the manpower. I may call the college and find out how to get the job done. (Having your name on a "this teepad brought to you by" sign would be pretty cool, no?) They've put new maps on #1 and #14 tees that are hand drawn on a two-sided sheet. Better than nothing, and at least numbered correctly, but a little crude. I'll leave this up in case you'd rather the map from dave...Here's how to read the map that davetherocketguy linked...

Read it this way...MAP is now CURRENT...got it?

7 is now 1, 8 is now 2, 9 is now 3

From 3, the new 4 is not marked on the map. Cross Grove Ave. to find the teepad. (It's about the direction of "o" in "Grove" on the map, if that makes any sense...) It's the only hole on that side of the street.

10 is now 5, 11 is now 6, long walk across the entrance boulevard. 12 is now 7, 13 is now 8, 14 is now 9, 15 is now 10, 16 is now 11, 17 is now 12 (heading back toward your car If you parked next to HPAC), 18 is now 13, and now the long walk...trust me now...2 is now 14, 3 is now 15, 4 is now 16, but the tee is closer to AH than is marked, but visible from 15 basket. 5 is now 17, and 6 is now 18.

Notice I didn't mention what on the map is #1. My speculation is that that basket got moved to the new #4, and along with the change in where to start, is the only real change to the course.

The course is pretty and varied enough to give you this resource. I enjoyed the course, even getting lost as I did. Hope you do too.
(Enjoy it that is...not get lost.)

Get your bomb out!

1    7/27/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: alexjensen
Pros: This course is PHENOMENAL! Honestly I can't rave about it enough. It is almost exactly what I look for in a disc golf experience.

Excellent length. You can't rely on good putting or a midrange game here. You better get your bomb out... This course is long. Not overally long, but you will throw a driver off every tee.

Very well kept with excellent baskets. No need to worry about lost discs, burn weed, or poison ivy here, you are playing on beautiful grass all the way. Great mature trees that drape over each shot line really making a lot of challenging throws. This course looks very very mature.

Super quite, we were the only players on the course. There was no worries about hitting another group or anything like that. Also, because of this it is an excellent course to bring beginning players. Despite the fact that the course is pretty long, the lines are very open so you can throw under 200 without worrying about hitting a tree as much. This does not mean that trees are out of the question. For a good player throwing around 400 you have some awesome tree issues. Not tons of young trees that get in the way, but awesome matures trees which really add to the difficulty here.

This course is an incredible, almost holy, experience. I commend whomever designed it, because they really did an awesome job. People who rate this course low are not focusing on how incredible it really is. Very long, awesome lines, and very well kept. There are really only a few (kind of serious) negatives, but are only negatives to certain players.
Cons: This course is probably up there with the worst marked courses I have ever played. The holes are very spread out and honestly you never really know where you are going next. Unlike a wooded course, which this is not, you do not know which path you need to take to the next hole. There are no signs, maps, or anything. We guessed multiple times which pin we were throwing to, and which tee pad we had to go to next. I had to run entire holes to find the next pin, not to mention we were not always sure we were on the correct tee pad. Despite this... get over it! It's totally worth it, because if you play this course more than once you will find everything.

The tee pads were not very nice. They were just rubber mats which were overgrown with grass. I, however, am different from many disc golfers because despite the fact that this took about 40' off my drives, I got to play barefoot which I am always excited for.

If you require a well marked course with cement tee pads, this is not your course. This is not what disc golf is all about though, and this course has almost everything I look for in a course.
Other Thoughts: So this course is LONG. It is also horribly marked, and there are no people out there to help you to where everything is. It seems incredibly mature however, and is honestly a blast to play. If you appreciate this course for what it is, you will most certainly have an excellent time. For a good disc golf player you get to do everything that is the most fun about throwing frisbys. You get to bomb massive drives, throw over lines of trees, and whip awesome midrange shots. Enjoy this course for what it is... A very mature, difficult, and long course.

Hope you like walking

1    9/1/2013   7/22/2012
Review By: davetherocketguy
This review was updated on 9/1/2013
Pros: - There are very nice DGA baskets with large numbers on the tops making them easy to pick out.
- If you have a big arm and are fairly accurate this is the course for you. Not a lot of obstructions and certainly not a lot of heavy underbrush on any of the holes except for the most errant of shots. Even noobish players that can consistently drive 250' will find themselves within putting distance on many of the holes after their second shot.
- All of the holes are on mowed grass. What the course lacks in challenge, hills, water hazards it certainly makes up for in length. Roller throwers rejoice.
- I don't recall seeing any course design no-no's as in fairways crossing each other or crossing busy walkways or roadways. #16 does cross a drive but it does not seem busy. If I wanted to be really picky, the basket for 7 seemed like it was a little close to the line between the 8 tee and basket.
- I also like the hole markers at each of the tee boxes.
- As of the update on this review, there are now CONCRETE tees. This is a fantastic addition over the nonsense that used to be there. Very nicely done with a nicely roughened surface for fantastic grip off the tee.
- To assist in navigation when it isn't obvious on the map, there are bricks at each basket shaped in an arrow to indicate the next tee.
- MAPS! Yes, they now have maps at the first tee...WAHOO!!
Cons: - The layout is not the best and VERY spread out. The walk between 13 and 14 is just absurd.
- There are also no typical items that DG'ers love to have on a course; trash cans and benches - or at least there are very few of them. Since smoking and drink are strictly forbidden it certainly isn't necessary to have a can on every hole but it may not be a bad idea to spread out a few throughout.
Other Thoughts: I would like to mention that I do really appreciate Andrews University making a course that is open to the public just down the road from where I live. In spite of all the walking it was fun and a great place to work on my rather whimpy drives.

I've worked with SDA folks before and regardless of your religious views they are very nice people even though they are strict. Please respect their rules because they did not have to make this course open to everyone. I also want to applaud whoever got this course installed in the first place. Campus politics can be difficult if not impossible to work with. Job well done.

Big Course

2-4    8/30/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: silvertransformer
This review was updated on 8/30/2012
Pros: A big pro I would give this course is the variety of the shots. Some baskets are very challenging; while others are very easy. To me this makes for an interesting round. Another plus is that the course is free to play. I played today 8/30 and saw at the very first tee pad a plastic holder that had maps of the course. This will certainly help out quite a bit.
Cons: One thing I do not like is that the course is so spread out. I saw a couple of spots where they could have easily put in a couple of baskets. Also most of the tee pads were a rubber mat with holes. Another con is that unless you play with someone who is familiar with the course it is very hard to navigate since you have to walk though the campus to get to some baskets. There is a map on their website, but it does not exactly match up with anything.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a good course. Especially if you like walking. Because of the size of the course and the length of some of the baskets I would not recommend this course for people who are new to the game.

this is for nav. help!

1    5/26/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Good overall design of most holes, mostly longer than average, up to 600 ft. Very flat, all mowed grass terrain with well manicured trees.
Tee signs
Free parking in visitors lot
Little rough
Very forgiving on bad shots, but you do have to work to get the good shots.
Cons: Tees suck, better off teeing to the side
Some ivy on a few holes
You can get lost for hours!
Other Thoughts: Navigation Aid:
After #6- cross entrance road #7's tee is near the main road (by a few large tress, about 500 ft walk)
#9- across road to left, near a shed
#10- back across same road, hidden behind gatehouse shack!!
#11- backtrack, similar shot, basket way left around woods
#13- if you notice #18 (behind hole #1 and near parking lot), #13's tee is across street from #18's tee, next to 16's basket for some reason
#14- huge walk- around to the right of building behind and to right of #13 basket, then across street, towards pavilion down by edge of woods!
#17- hidden behind pine like bushes near intersection left of #16's basket