Lutsen, MN

Not a Pleasant Experience

1    8/11/2011   5/24/2012
Review By: Smileyaili17
This review was updated on 5/31/2012
Pros: --Good challenge (almost too much)
--Good practice for finesse shots and some technical shots
Cons: --The course flow was VERY confusing, I had to stop and study the map really hard in order to know what hole I was even on
--Not all holes have baskets
--The course is way too redundant and difficult for most people
--There are not a lot of long holes
--The fairways sometimes overlapped, which could cause interference with other groups
--The course was not scenic or fun to be on; it was literally carved out of the woods (I think only 3-4 holes are in the open), and you have to walk through long grass and such. I personally don't mind longer grass, but I'm sure others may not enjoy this as much
--The course should not be 18 holes for the size of the lot it is on, it should be a 9 hole course instead
--For a pay-to-play, I expected more than this
--I was dissatisfied
Other Thoughts: I would recommend playing at the Lutsen Resort down the road, it is more fun and not nearly and confusing.

Perhaps things have changed since I have been there, and I truly hope so. If the course was changed to a 9-hole with WIDENED fairways as well as more general upkeep, I would play it again.

Also, the owner told us that the course was only a year or so old when we played (Aug, 2011) and he said that he was still working on the kinks. So hopefully, if you happen to check it out, it'll be more of a pleasant experience.

Grading Criteria:

Landscape quality
1.5/5

Baskets, Tees and Hole Diagrams

Variety in hole distances

Variety in hole types
(field/wooded holes; hilly/level holes; etc)

Difficulty/Challenge
4/5

Course flow

Outside interference
(pedestrians; traffic noise distractions; etc)
3.5/5

Fun factor
.5/5

Pay to play worthy? (only applies to pay to play courses)
0/5

Use of Available Land

Total: 1.5/5

Well...

1    8/7/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: djschnabel
Pros: Frisbee Golf on the North Shore
18 holes
Tone holes!!!
Some cool holes, very technical
Cons: You play at the same baskets multiple times
For a pay-to-play, you'd think they would all have baskets, not tone holes
the tone holes were awful (dryer venting)
The course wasn't clear, kind of confusing
The course plays over a mini golf course (which also sucks, for now)
Other Thoughts: The gal at the office was helpful, I could see this being an ok course with some more play.
If there were more than one or two groups on the course, it would be chaos, since you double back over the same holes multiple times.

I would rather see them include a better spaced out 9 hole course, than try to squeeze an 18 hole course into a small lot. It looks like a home course (if it was mine, I'd be proud of it), but it is not a course worth playing, unless you have to play every course you play, when you happen to pass by it. Cascade Lodge is better, more established, although, not by much.