Anderson, SC
Trails DGC Share
Uploaded By: S.Cann Hole #3 (Taken 1/2011)

1 2 Next >
 One of my favorite short courses anywhere

2-4    4/7/2011   4/12/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 3/5/2013
Pros: Trails DGC is a perfect model of what any short course should look like. Course offers lots of fun, plenty of birdie chances, potential ace runs (especially 11 & 15), and has a great risk/reward factor. There are still a few kinks to work out, but I have no doubt they'll be taken care of.
- I absolutely loved this course. It's a great wooded course. If we had a rating specifically for fun factor, this would be a 5.
- Great use of the terrain. A couple holes have good elevation (both down up & downhill shots), other holes have great strategically place baskets (near drop-offs, behind trees, next to thick brush).
- Plenty of fun holes that offer chances to be aggressive and/or creative with your shots. Great risk/reward factor on most holes.A good throw can produce an easy birdie, but if you just miss your line, you're going to hit a tree, or land in some thick rough. The only holes I consider not realistically birdie-able for the average player (300 foot driver), is #9 & 14. #9 due to its length, #14 due to the tight hole layout - straight for first half, slight uphill, dogleg left to basket protected by trees.
- Great course for all skill levels from first timers to advanced players. Average hole length is under 250 feet, meaning you don't need a big arm. Only 1 long hole - #9 at 400 ft, which is also the only open hole. Accuracy is more important that distance here.
- The first six holes (#1-2 & 4-8) is a great strettch of enjoyable holes. They're all in the same ballpark in terms of distance (208 - 264 ft), all offer birdie chances, plus have a degree of difficulty.
- Course has good amenities. Nice tee pads, great tee signs on front 9; back 9 should be in soon. The entire park has great facilities, and there are plenty of restaurant/gas stations just up the road.
Cons: As mentioned above, there are still a few issues to be addressed. When that's done, this list will be very shot, and also outdated.
- This is just a temporary issue, but missing a hole is a problem. #3 was pulled recently, so the course is currently only 17 holes. I only found out about this after walking through the front 9, then finding 2 locals. The good news is that I updated the course info page. 2 days later Roadtrip played, and, as his review states, was able to avoid the same problem I had. Just another great service thanks to this site.
- No tee signs (yet) on the back nine. Looks like they'll be in soon, which will make this point void.
- There were several confusing transitions between holes. After finishing #2, and then by passing the defunct #3, you have to walk past #5 to get to #4. On the back nine, after playing #13, you cross the #12 tee to get to #14. When tee signs are put in, that should (hopefully) eliminate this problem. If not, a simple solution would be to put the hole number on the "next T' signs.
- On several holes, there's no middle ground between fairway and rough. On #2, the basket is 10 - 15 from some thick, overgrown rough. I had a harder time climbing through the thorns to get to my disc than I did making the birdie putt. Also, there are piles of branches, logs, etc. on some holes. Again, give it time and this will be gone.
- Some holes play extremely close to each other, meaning you'll need to keep an eye out for discs and other DGers. These are the ones I noticed most are: fairways for #12 & 14 are right next to each other, (heading the same direction), only separated by a creek. Tee shots that don't curve right on #18 are going to land near tee for #1. Stray shots from #13 might land in #12 fairway.
- Apparently, the idea of "if you build it, they will come" at this course applies to walkers. I saw more people using the course (fairways and paths) as a walking trail than DGers playing the course. Granted it was a Thursday afternoon, so the DGers were at work. But, I had two separate occasions where I was about to throw, only to have a walker come around the corner, and walk right past the basket down the fairway towards me. Maybe the "beware of flying objects" signs need to be bigger and at the random entrances to the course people have made.
Other Thoughts: I love when course designers know what they want out of a course, and execute it perfectly. This course isn't meant to be the most challenging, or the longest. Trails is confident enough in itself, knowing it's all about the motion of the ocean.
- This is my CYA disclaimer, in case things change down the road. Any hole numbers listed are current of when I played and reviewed. If the new hole (old #3) is added somewhere other than between #2 - 4, the hole numbers might change.
- Trails, along with Timmons, are my 2 favorite short courses. By short I mean averaging under 250 ft a hole, 4500 total. Being from Charlotte, there are several short courses here (Elon short and Bailey), but I give the edge to both Trails and Timmons.
- My favorite hole was #6. It's 260 ft, slight dogleg left tee shot to an elevated basket area. As an example of its risk/reward factor, the first time I played the hole, I parked my tee shot within 10 feet of the basket. Second time, my shot was barely off line, hit a tree, then had my second shot roll downhill after landing next to the basket.
- Being objective, I'm only giving this course a 2.5. That's mainly due to missing a hole, and other maintenance problems that I'm sure will be taken care of within several months. Once that's done, I'll bump that score up. Avoid City Beach (Anderson's other course) and play Trails multiple times.

1    4/10/2011   4/10/2011
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Very friendly locals. The players and the folks just out at the park. Nice use of available space. Great vibe - you can often see other people but you still get privacy when you want it. Good mix of lines. Very close to the highway. A great 60 minute walk if you've been driving I-85.

And, thumbs up to this website, I was just passing through and I got to educate all the locals on Hole 3 (had just read it on here).
Cons: Too short. I love all the ace runs, and I'm glad they fit 18 in such a small area, but I wasn't done after my 18. Discs can hide in the underbrush (seems like it has to grow thicker as spring moves along).
Other Thoughts: The course plays like a more open Davidson College (NC). Similar chill crowd, same perceived isolation, seems like you could ace just about any one of them.

I've only played this course once. I think it's important to note that in a review. I really like that Davidson, NC course but I've played it a million times. First time out - it sucked. This course, I really liked it but it was a perfect day all the way around. Seems like the courses you've only played once - mood can take over your opinion a little bit.

Variety (shots) - 3.5/5 - The distance affects the variety. It's different bending a disc around trees from 300 ft than it is from 150. These are all 150s. Besides that - pretty nice variety. They play like a bunch of trick-shot ace runs. Fun.

Distance (length) - 2/5 - So many are under 200 ft. I like that 1-2x per course tops. Again though - glad they fit 18 in this small space. That bumps it from 1.5 to 2

Beauty - 3/5 - It's nothing spectacular but I did break out my camera for Hole 8. I like the trees and bridges and you're neither crowded nor isolated.

Trackability - 4/5 - Close to the highway, Easy to find, Easy to track all of the holes (even without a map, even with Hole 3 removed).

Lost Disc Hazard - 2/5 - The underbrush is deceptive. Keep your eye on the disc even after it lands.

Vibe - 4/5 - Maybe 4 other groups on a beautiful Saturday. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Safety 4/5 - Big open parking lot, can always see a few other fairways.

22.5/35 = 3.21 = 3

1    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: theprocon
Pros: New development has led way to what could be a neat woods course.
Cons: Newly cut course has many roots and stumps to trip over. Not much in the way of logic. I will rate this one again after a few years of wear and tear.
Other Thoughts: Could be a great course with some work. Work on the fairways(or add some) and chop some more woods down. Almost there.

5+    9/13/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: S.Cann
This review was updated on 10/7/2010
Pros: -It's located within city limits, yet is still secluded located in a wooded area inside a city park.
-Forces you to hit the right gaps and challenges you with a variety of shots.
-Great use of space. The course is well designed and has a good flow once you've played through a couple of times.
-Absolute perfect mix of elevation, distance, and technical holes. This course could not have been better laid out.
-"Next tee" signs have recently been added to help the flow.
Cons: -Is difficult to navigate due to the lack of a course map and signs for holes, but that should be completed if signs are placed in the appropriate places.
-Not forgiving
-Briars cover most holes, many surround baskets.
-There are a few areas where you could could lose a disc and have extreme difficulty finding it. Normally, losing a disc would not be a big issue, but these areas are much worse and much more prevalent than other courses.
Other Thoughts: During the Fall, cross country teams run races on Saturday mornings through the course. This makes it almost impossible to play which is unfortunate as many people only have time on Saturdays.

Better than Dwight Park by far! This course will be amazing when everything is completed.

If you are in the upstate this course is a must-play.

1    9/11/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Excellent tee pads, newly poured concrete, and plenty large.
Baskets are brand new and are set up very well.
Lots of different shots required here. Course is mostly flat, but you still have to negotiate tight wooded lines, right-to-left shots, left-to-right shots, and tomahawks. This course forces you to slow down, pick a line to thread, and hit it. In other words, Trails makes you play golf, and I like that.
There are really only two open holes, and both have pin placements in/ near the woods.
Course layout takes great advantage of the woods, and is relatively clear of debri.
The flow of the course is good, not great. Some transitions aren't perfect.
A good beginner's length. Not very long, but nothing that's ridiculously short. Aces are available, but you will have to hit a great line.
Cons: The transitions aren't perfect. Some are hardly visible from the last pin, and others cross over each other.
There is a cross country track through here, and you can see lots of spray painted arrows on trees. DON'T assume they are directing you to the next tee!
Lots of areas where brush/ thorns/ ivy needs to be cleared, especially when they nearly surround a basket. Easy fix, and it's a green course, so this will hopefully change as it gets broken in.
If you didn't know the course was there, you wouldn't. A practice basket near the tennis courts is the only indication, but from the parking lot, you won't see a tee or basket other than this practice one, and it's not very close to the first tee, which is tucked away in the woods. As we left, we were asked by a car leaving, "there's a disc golf course here?!"
No tee markers, yet. There do appear to be posts at the tees for them, but nothing there yet, so you will have to guess your distance, and whether you're going the right way.
Other Thoughts: Pick your line, hit it, and you will be pleased. You WILL hit trees, and end up with some good and some bad lies. You will be forced to play golf, slow down and pick your shots.
I hope to update this rating as the course progresses, but it was a fun morning of shot selection!

Trials DGC

1    8/31/2010   9/1/2010
Review By: Master_Locke
Pros: -Brand new course, and that is very obvious in playing.
-Course is well designed in the space.
-As of 08/31, all holes have baskets, tee boxes, poles for signs, and under construction fairways.
-Currently some holes are hard to tell where the basket/fairway is, but when construction is done, it is evident the course will be very nice.
-A nice mixture of elevation and distances
-Several water hazards after some rainy days.
-Kudos to the designer and whoever is working on this course...I am very excited to see/play again when it is finished.
Cons: -Most cons I'd mention will be fixed when the course is finished. (i.e. - signs, trails, fairways, signs from parking lot to start, pars, distances, etc...)
Other Thoughts: I took pictures of the first 9 holes and will upload those. Again, in mid stages of construction, so in most pictures you will find it difficult to see the baskets from the tee.

I'm rating it a 3.0 only cause I expect my rating to go up post completion.

1 2 Next >