Sarasota, FL
North Water Tower Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #1 (Taken 9/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3

1    10/8/2015   10/17/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: Over half of the holes occupy a patch of scattered palms. It is a pretty cool vibe and it produces an effect that is fairly rare in Florida, that of tree lines, but it does it with a uniquely Florida twist. That is, the line is comprised of palms. Pretty solid holes for an intermediate level player. It's perfectly flat and no real water but there is solid variety with different lines and distances across the course. A few of the holes do occupy the "park" section of the park, but the good stuff is all under the palms. Be prepared to place shots well if you want to score here: going off line will certainly result in hitting a tree. However, the trees are sparse enough that recovery is easy and you only cost yourself an attempt at birdie. It really should be fin for almost any skill level.
Cons: This is kind of a course of good and bad and while the good holes are fun, there enough meh holes to drag down the experience. These typically include the holes that run along the perimeter of the park, so they are basically straight with a fence on one side and on one occasion, a murky channel of water. They are just a little on the boring side. Additionally, the few holes that play through the open park area aren't great. They have a lot of walker potential and they detract from the vibe. There are two or three that pretty much play down the paved walking/biking path.
Navigation is iffy in a lot of places. Tons of intersecting paths means that there are places where you have multiple routes to take after a basket. Some non-intuitive transitions among the best part of the course.

When in Sarasota....

2-4    3/31/2015   4/24/2015
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Nice Florida foliage covers a well maintained park. Much of the course is a mix of Bermuda grass, palmettos and palm trees with a few small water canals for good measure. There is a nice mix of open and tight fairways and that are lined with palm trees and palmettos with a few trees mixed in to make you shape your line. A couple are so thick with trees, you will be asking "is this a fairway?"

The course is well-signed so you will have a good idea what lies ahead - and the signs will point you to the next tee pad.

Two tee pads and multiple pin positions per hole allow for a variety of challenges and skill levels.

This course rewards accuracy over power as most of the holes aren't terribly long, and hitting an early tree can make the recovery challenging. I would say the course is good for all levels of play, but is a perfect intermediate course. Beginners shouldn't get too frustrated, but pros might find it s bit easy. It's a fun course because it keeps you thinking because there's enough places to get in trouble if you don't execute well.
Cons: The course seems to favor the RHBH hyzer shot and the RHBH flex shot. It really lacks one single shot that is hard left to right turn (though this is more of an observation than a negative).

The tee pads are a bit short to my liking, but are grippy nonetheless. The signs are nice, as I mentioned and even have pictures of pin placements, but a picture of the pin unfortunately does not indicate accurately where the pin is. I wish they had a system for telling you which position the pin was in.

Hole 4 is a wall of trees (a poke and hope hole).
Hole 5 is a nice hole except that the entire right side is lined by one of the many paved pathways that pedestrians and bikers use. I like that it's OB over the right of the path, but it's just dangerous, because it's a bit blind about 250' up the path.
Other Thoughts: The memorial at the #3 tee pad is beautiful and commemorates a fallen club member. I was moved by the club presence in that they have 3 or 4 weekly events (one which was happening when I was there - a putting league which is intended to get people out putting and have fun doing it. Otherwise, who likes to practice putting, unless we have an excuse to?!

2-4    4/17/2015   4/17/2015
Review By: topcide
Pros: Good mix of shots.

The long and short pads change the holes dramatically.

Hard to lose a disc.

Water in play on a few holes.

Lots of challenge.

Cons: While I never felt unsafe, and I don't think that the neighborhood was sketchy, there were multiple groups of sketchy looking people hanging around the park. None of them gave me a hard time, and most of them appeared to be harmless folk just hanging around, I did see one group that were doing drugs. I played 2 rounds, and they were friendly to me both times, and it wouldn't keep me from coming back, but it does have to be said.

Hard to navigate- it was obvious the designers of the course worked with the space they had and made the most of it. After my first round though it was much easier.

Lots of non disc traffic- some of the holes teed off on sidewalks, have to pay attention to make sure it is safe to throw.

Other Thoughts: I am an out of towner, and overall I thought it was a great course. I ranked it at a 3.5 instead of 4 for the navigation, and other issues noted. If i had to rank the holes themselves, I would solidly give this course a 4

Being a non local, I ran into and teed off with a member of the Sarasota Sky Pilots Disc Golf Club for my first round. I can't remember his name, but top notch dude, and obviously top notch club.

Overall good course, I will play it again when I am in the area which is about once a year.

2-4    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: Rich.Carrozza
Pros: Beautiful beautiful beautiful course. Signs were great. Baskets were in good shape. Just enough trees and open shots. Some low canopy. This course makes you bring a big arm with precision. Technical and a lot of fun.
Cons: Tee pads were a little short, but other than that I have no complaints.
Other Thoughts: Loved it. I'm from out of town and my home courses have a lot of changes in elevation. It was a nice change of pace. Bring your distance drivers and mids. Some fairways are tight so you have to be accurate.

Quintessential Florida Course

1    3/3/2014   3/3/2014
Review By: S.Cann
This review was updated on 3/4/2014
Pros: -This is your quintessential Florida course. Plenty of palm trees, Spanish moss, and very flat.
-Course is easy to locate.
-Hole 1 is easy to find. Right by the parking lot.
-Park benches, picnic tables, and trash cans are all over the place.
-The course is moderately wooded and uses the woods very well. Most holes require skill rather than luck.
-The creek that comes into play on several holes provides an added challenge.
-Great mix of long and short holes!
-Each hole has several pin placements and tee pads.
-NWTP plays well for both the experienced and inexperienced player.
-This course was established in the early 90s and was one of the first in the SW Florida area.
-The elevated basket was a nice touch!
Cons: -Despite there being an abundance of trash cans, there was still trash in several spots on the course.
-The transition from hole 12 to hole 13 is pretty difficult.
-The course was fairly busy. We were there on a weekday morning and there were several other groups. Course traffic picked up as we played.
-Older baskets, some rusted
-No elevation to speak of.
-Walkers delayed us on many holes.
Other Thoughts: For being one of the oldest courses in the area, this is still a great course! It was well worth the visit. The neighborhood surrounding the park may have been rougher in the past, but seems to be cleaning up. If you are south of the Tampa area definitely make a trip down here and partner this course with Payne Park.

Stop by Sarasota!

1    10/8/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: This is a gorgeous park in the north end of Sarasota. There was ample parking available and restrooms, gazebos, and benches throughout. Beautifully landscaped park, loved playing under the palm trees and Spanish moss.

Good variety of shots; I really dislike tunnel shots and excessively wooded courses, but this one uses its woods and trees very well without feeling overwhelming. There's also a couple holes where the bigger arms can open up and let it air out a bit, which was impressive for a park this size.

Concrete tee pads, benches, and trash bins everywhere. Signs were very informative and help significantly with the navigation; the photos of approaches and baskets are particularly helpful.

Nicely used water hazards; enough to keep play interesting, but not deep enough to lose a disc in really. I didn't notice them causing a problem with bugs while I was there, by the way.

Few opportunities to lose a disc; the park seemed well-manicured and tidy when we were there, with minimal underbrush.

This park is very clean and well-maintained. Kudos on whoever helps keep this place clean, we appreciate it.
Cons: As has been stated multiple times, this is a park first, DG course second. You do have to keep an eye out for off-leash dogs, walkers, and people just milling about in general.

Holes 1 and 9 both are perilously close to people's fenced yards; throw a nice drive and this won't be a problem, but just be aware of it.

The course is very compact and contained in a relatively small area; while a gorgeous park, it felt a bit constrained and like we were looping around a lot in the same terrian. Which we were. No big deal at all, but I personally prefer more spread out courses.

I thought navigation was a bit tricky on several holes, especially from 12-13 and 17-18. Thank you to the friendly locals that helped us out!

Some of the back 9 did start to feel a bit repetitive, possibly just because of the current pin placements. Also, it would have been nice to have some way to mark which pin position was active, since almost all holes have multiples.
Other Thoughts: This course is a few minutes north of downtown Sarasota. If you're coming by on I-75, take the University Blvd exit, head West towards the Gulf, turn left on the Tamiami trail, and then look for the signs for the park.

I was surprised to see the majority of reviewers commenting on the neighborhood; we didn't even think twice about getting out of the car here. It looked perfectly fine; however, I did notice a couple of bike cops rolling through while we were there. I'm not too familiar with the Sarasota area, so I could just be ignorant on this one; I was also here at 3PM on a weekday.

I really felt this course was on the verge between a 3 and a 3.5. A bit more variety in the lay of the land (which I understand is just part of the area) and slightly better navigation, and it'd be a solid 3.5. I'll be happy to re-rate and edit after I play a few more courses to get an idea of what the area courses are like. While there aren't the hills like in the courses around my native Kansas City, there were palm trees and Spanish moss galore, which was really just amazing. Happy discing!

Nice course with some flaws

1    4/1/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: fictionfree
Pros: -Friendly course design in a friendly park
-Variety of shots - medium-tight wooded balanced by long open holes, right and left, rollers and air shots
-Concrete tees, bathrooms, water fountains, covered picnic tables
-Water hazards are there, but when I played in early spring, water was non-existent or very shallow
-Good use of trees to create protected baskets, protected greens and tight tee shots on many holes
-Benches, trash cans throughout and I saw very little trash - nice clean course
-Ideal introductory/beginner course that won't be a total bore for more experienced players
Cons: -Traffic - this is a park first and DG course second - you'll run into a lot of pedestrians, cyclists, children, dogs off-leash, etc. and nobody yielded to disc golfers (which is fine by me, but makes for a slow round)
-Signage was not clear - many showed multiple pins, but in fact only one pin was installed (the short one) and I found it a little challenging to find my way from hole to hole - paper course maps would be nice
-Nearby airport causes some loud airplane noise which can be distracting
-Pros and experienced players may be disappointed - only one truly long hole, a couple medium long - most holes were drive and long putt/approach for me (and my drive is pretty weak)
-Typical of FL, but there is zero elevation change here - some elevated pins or better use of what little elevation there is here (if that is even possible - entire course is bounded by backyards) would help
Other Thoughts: I have ZERO clue why so many reviewers suggested this neighborhood is sketchy - looks like your average middle class neighborhood to me. Had no problems - everyone was either aloof or friendly - don't let those comments turn you away from playing this course. I had fun playing and relaxing while my wife took the kids to the beaches that aren't too far away - would recommend to others. Good beginner/introductory course, too.

Jungle in the City

1    12/2/2012   12/2/2012
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: 1. There is a good variety of shots to be had. You'll use many different discs and many different lines...
2. Signs are clear and Teepads are of good size.
3. there are multiple tee positions and some multiple pads. There really is a lot going on here.
4. Holes go from around 200 ft. to over 500 ft. and, it seems like there is something new around every corner.
5. It really does look like a jungle near the parking lot on the first few holes. There are a couple of Banyan trees as well.
6. Good variety between tight and open holes. It's a nice shotmakers course.
Cons: 1. The neighborhood seems a bit sketchy. Lot of trash not in cans, although the park itself is really beautiful.
2. Homeless people potentially sleeping in the rough. (Almost fell over one!)
3. You're never sure what the basket position is until you actually find it...
Other Thoughts: This was pure fun! Although its flat, the scenery was wonderful with tons of trees of different types. The park really did a great job winding in and out of the forest. Each hole was a treat. Even if you hit a tree, there was usually a chance to recover for par. The local players were helpful, and it seems well supported. This is really a fun, moderately challenging course. Good shots are rewarded, and it is technical at times while never being unfair. I will definitely play again.

Very busy

1    11/22/2012   11/22/2012
Review By: stoltzjl77
Pros: Nicely-shaped fairways
Multiple pin positions
Some alternate tees
Clean, and fairly well marked
Nice signs
Cons: BUSY. Several fairways cross bike paths, baskets are too close to the next tees in several cases. Back half of the course has a couple of basket-to-tee paths that are not intuitive and are not marked. Scorecard or arrows at baskets would help a lot.
Except for 9 and 10, you can pretty much play this course with a Buzzz and that's it. Not much reason to dig into the rest of the bag.
Other Thoughts: Okay - so I wouldn't call this heavily-wooded, but I guess it is all relative. There isn't much undergrowth, just a bunch of palm groves that shape fairways providing 1 or maybe 2 lines per hole. I believe most of the pins were in the front positions the day I played. It was windy which added some fun to the 3 or 4 holes which were out in the open.
The park is busy and there were quite a few bikers and walkers out along with many other disc golfers, most of whom seemed to be recreational as far as skill level. That, or they were stoned (the group in front of me that finally let us play through on hole 10) or drunk (the 5-some behind me on the back nine, who were actually quite pleasant but who apparently skipped holes 9 and 10 for whatever reason).
All in all, worth playing if you are in the area. Not sure this deserves the four-star ratings I'm seeing - there isn't anything about this course that stands out in my mind. I contrast that with Gordon Barnett and Turkey Lake in Orlando, both of which I played 15 years ago - I can still remember specific holes that were just awesome. This course - I'll remember the palms, but there's no signature hole and nothing to merit more than a "good" rating.

very fun course

1    7/5/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: jam6157
Pros: - very fun and challenging course to play for all types of players.

- there is a sign at the beginning of each hole that shows you where the basket is and where the next t box is.

- easy to navigate from hole to hole.

- water is not really a problem. i went the day after it rained pretty hard and there were only a couple of holes that had a little bit of water.

- concrete t pads.
Cons: - although it was mainly disc golfers in the park, there were some people walking around next to the holes. not really that big of a deal but you still need to watch out for people.

- kind of seemed like a shady neighborhood but everyone i talked to seemed pretty nice.
Other Thoughts: - definitely play this course if you are in the area!

< Prev 1 2 3