Sarasota, FL
North Water Tower Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #10 (Taken 9/2009)

1 2 3 Next >
 Sarasota's Traditional Course

5+    4/21/2009   5/7/2009
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: This is a traditional course in a great park. The front 9 wraps around the outside of the park and the back 9 meanders through the middle, heavily wooded part. Both the 9th and 18th hole end at the parking lot. There are nice concrete tees throughout the park. The front nine has single tees, except for hole 9 and almost all of the back nine have multiple tees. All of the holes have multiple pin positions and all of the tees and positions are marked on the tee signs that are found at each tee. There is a practice basket right near the parking lot. There are always people at the park and I have been invited to play with someone every time I have been there.
Cons: The park is in a questionable part of town, but I have never had a problem and have never felt uncomfortable in the park.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the first courses that I played when I started playing back in 2004. I really liked the front nine, but the back nine was brutal. There was typical palmettos and heavy scrub. I also came face to face with a black widow spider while searching for an errant throw. I let the black widow have the disc and backed away very slowly. After a long hiatus from the sport, I returned to this course this spring and was elated to find it in amazing shape. The back nine has been cleared of the underbrush and scrub and the course is now a joy to play. Even more recently the local club has done even more work on the course. The wooded holes are still a challenge, but there is now no risk of spending a half an hour searching through painful underbrush looking for a disc. I love the variety of open and wooded holes and the difference in feel between the front and back nine. For you big bombers, you will love hole 9 at over 500 feet. I personally dislike it, but I will conquer it one day.

I highly recommend this course to anyone and, paired with Lakeview Park is a great day trip disc golf destination.

B+ for Bery Bery Nice Tradiitonal Course

5+    4/7/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B

A recommended stop on your Florida Tour

5+    2/22/2009   3/22/2009
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: The park has an attractive, native-Florida feel. Most of the course is covered by a nice canopy which provides good shade.

The course puts a premium on accuracy and provides some opportunities to create escape saves for par from the rough.

There are many friendly locals, so it's usually possible to hook up with a game at the park.

The Sky Pilots are one of the biggest and coolest clubs anywhere.
Cons: The park can be a bit sketchy at times. It can be borderline family-friendly with illicit activity.

There's a bit of a chance of losing plastic in the palms.

Some may wish there were more opportunities to throw long shots.

A couple of the holes are too pinbally/random with trees and luck becoming more important than skill.

The bike path winds through the course and there are a couple places where a disc could surprise a biker coming around a corner.
Other Thoughts: Might not be the best course ever, but I'd definitely recommend taking a stop to take in a fun/relaxing round on a course that showcases the work of some of the original Florida disc golf innovators.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!

Good local course

5+    1/10/2009   1/16/2009
Review By: cocopop
Pros: Course offers many challenges for the average player. There are a couple longer holes the longest topping out at over 600 ft. Not many opportunities for lost discs so don't worry about lost plastic. There is a nicely secluded practice basket where most of the locals congregate and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Course begins and ends at the parking lot and the course is easy to navigate and well plotted. The front 9 circles around the the outter edges of the woods and the back 9 takes you into the thick of it all. Water and ficilities are right next to hole #1.
Cons: There aren't enough "Technical" shots on the course. The ones that are "Technical" are just thickly wooded prayers. The course needs more maintenance than it gets at times. I would love to see the outter edges of the park get a nice grooming.
Other Thoughts: All in all, it is a nice everyday course with friendly locals. The Sarasota Sky Pilots is the courses club and if you want an entertaining round seek out Jim Widick. He's the founder of the club and helped to design the course.

1    12/20/2006   1/9/2009
Review By: Mando
This review was updated on 1/12/2009
Pros: Nice mix of tight wooded holes and open holes. Interesting layout with a distinct tropical flavor. Great vibe with friendly and helpful locals (like HazMat).
Since it was few years ago, I can't recount the specifics other than how much fun we had playing this course.
Cons: The hospital heli-pad can be a distraction.
Other Thoughts: This was the first disc golf course our family played and it was the perfect course to start on. Everyone had a blast.Sarasota in the winter is hard to beat. Don't miss the drums on the beach.

Nice in town park

2-4    10/13/2008   10/13/2008
Review By: StPaulie
This review was updated on 3/1/2009
Pros: Nice litle park. Each tee box has a sign telling you distance and placement for both basket placements. Some hole have multiple tee boxes. If you like woods and tight fairways you will love this course.
Cons: Being a city park there is a walking/bikeing path that is well used and will require you keeping and eye out for people. This course was so wooded I had a very difficult time finding baskets from the tee even with the great signs. The first time playing many time my first shot just went to the hole in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Even though the tee signs showed multiple baskets none were out when I played. All were the "standard" placement. The locals here were all very friendly. Judgeing by the reaction of some there have been some people hit by discs.

1 2 3 Next >