Martin, TN
Harrison Road Park Share
Uploaded By: carrioke Hole #6 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 240ft.   3 / 149ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Home Turf!

5+    9/21/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: Grapesoda
Pros: This course has a wide variety of shots. Most holes are fairly open with possible ace runs on several! Nice tees, good baskets, and friendly players across the course. We just put in new women and children tees!
Cons: Driver and putter course. No mid game really. Some holes have extremely hard looks. (17)
Can be buggy during the spring and summer months. Tough course but I began here so its Home turf!!
Other Thoughts: I love the course it was the one I learned to play on. Stop by and play a round with us!

I am a botanist

5+    7/20/2013   7/20/2013
Review By: Wood Chuk
Pros: This course has a sense of humor about itself. A simple shot into the rough will involve looking for your disc for a few (or more) minutes. There are abundant opportunities to throw into the 'rougher rough' where you may look at little longer. Blind shots into woods?? This course has that! This course is definitely well vegetated in a very pleasant way. If when you get to the ninth tee box and see a tree right in the middle of your release, if you do not laugh you are taking yourself way too seriously. This is a great course for teaching you to throw controlled shots and for teaching you that you play disc golf for fun. I am glad this is my home course.
Cons: The pros for this course are also the course's cons: much vegetation, tight shots, and humiliating tee box trees. If you play 18 holes and do not hit any trees, you are a very good golfer. It is possible to lose discs on this course.
Other Thoughts: Bring a positive attitude!

6.5Swede's review

5+    7/2/2013   7/2/2013
Review By: 6.5swede
Pros: Short/quick playing course, close to home, challenging. Play smart to score well. Lots of elevation changes.
Cons: Lack of lines, tight fairways, rough is left unmowed so discs can be hard to find on a few holes, forget about a roller. A bad drive can punish you.
Other Thoughts: I play this course a lot and the only real problem I have is the lack of hyzer shots available rhbh. When I play other courses that's where I struggle playing the hyzer shot. It's a anhyzer, flick or lefty friendly course.

5+    4/20/2012   4/23/2012
Review By: matsfort
Pros: -Holes 1,9,10 and 18 are all by the parking lot making it easy to play just nine holes.
-Good variety of holes with 12+ holes in wooded areas.
-Signage on all holes and Concrete tee pads are well above average.
Cons: -There is no purpose for the tall "rough" areas on the open holes. Easy to loose a disc when tall.
-Tee pad location of 3 is pretty much a wiasted throw.
-Several holes have trees right in the middle of the tee pad, while more of a personal issue or me, removing them would still keep the itegrity of course and make a little enjoyable to play on.
Other Thoughts: I play on this course about 2-3 time a week and while an under par score is not out of the question, I have to work for a +4 on the course. There is good variety of holes with several open hole to show off your distance and a lot of wooded holes to work on your accuracy.

All in all this is a challenging but fun course to play on. Would recommend any avid player visit to test your skills.

My Home Course

5+    3/7/2012   3/7/2012
Review By: Beanfield Suiter
Pros: Paths to goals are easily found. Have to use every disc in the bag on virtually every round. I like that you don't have to be 6'4" and weigh 240lbs to compete. You need to be adept at all the possible shots. It pays to be creative.
Cons: The drive on #3 is pointless. Compare it to having to use a wedge to drive on a par 4 in regular golf.
Other Thoughts: Please do not kill the snakes on this course! They are harmless, and it is against the law.

1    1/16/2012   2/24/2012
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: The land the course is on offers a good variety of open holes and woods of varying densities with a good use of elevation- up, down, gentle, steep, sidehills, and a couple flat holes as well. I appreciated that each hole had a unique look to it off the tee. Besides trees and elevation, other obstacles include a creek, a road, a ditch with a small bridge, and power line tower. There is a decent variety in hole length where a 3 would be a great score for most people on several holes (and to me it even played longer than it looked).

There is the usual expectations of concrete tees, signs, and baskets in good shape. There was a kiosk with large course map and plenty of scorecards. No difficulties in finding the next tee either. And the course comes back to car after 9 and 18.

I found this course to be deceptively challenging. A lot of the holes may not look like much from the tee, but then I found myself scrambling for pars and bogeys. I would enjoy playing this course several times looking for ways to shave strokes after you get to know it a little bit.
Cons: You rarely have that "getting lost in the wilderness" feel with city parks, and this is no exception. Though the course is on land purely for disc golf, it never gets real far removed from the other things and sometimes it borders uncomfortably close to non-disc golf stuff. For example, hole 2 plays beside some duplexes (that probably get hit off the tee more frequently than they would like) and there is no separation or distinction between fairway and duplex yard. Later you play along a road and then a ballfield. The course itself does not interfere with other park activities, but you never get that out in nature feel. As a result, this course also lacked the aesthetic qualities that top courses have.

Some of the holes seemed to require a less than realistic shot off the tee (or at best it varied from the norm, for example, you throw a short shot off the tee followed by a long upshot- I suppose this is ok, but it is not the type of hole design people expect.)

I mentioned hole variety as a Pro, but 15 and 16 back-to -back are pretty much the same hole and kind of crammed in a small corner and is the only spot that lacks logical flow. (These seemed to be fillers between the challenging 14 and 17, and are probably necessary with the available land to get 18 holes.) And not so much that it favors LHBH or RHFH, but that there are often consecutive holes that play left to right (1,2,3 and 15,16,17 for example). The course has a good balance in the number of left, right, and straight as a whole, but they are just not mixed up.
Other Thoughts: This course is in a college town in the middle of nowhere. There is really no reason to come here unless you go to UT-Martin or are visiting somebody- then in that case, this is a decent course to get your DG fix. If you are traveling I-40 between Memphis and Nashville, and get the urge to play, I recommend Muse Park in Jackson- a slightly better course and just off the Interstate. Harrison is decent, but may not be worth the time to get here and back for most.

I would rank this course somewhere around a 2.5+. There are several holes that are worthy of a 3.0-3.5, but then there are a few that are slightly below average as well.

Great course

1    5/7/2011   5/7/2011
Review By: tdortch
This review was updated on 5/9/2011
Pros: Nice teepads/signage. Arrows pointing to the next tee. Guarded baskets. Nice benches. Risk/reward shots on nearly every hole. Elevation change. Reachable baskets IF you can find the line. Awesome course.
Cons: Hole #3. I would have rated this course higher if not for hole 3. It is probably my least favorite hole I've ever played. You throw a light flick about 30 feet and let it turn and land. Then you get to play the hole (the rest of which is actually fine - a steep hillside right behind the basket and trees guarding the entrance). But, the reasoning behind just wasting your tee shot is lost on me. I'm hoping the local club builds an alt tee pad that just takes that little part out of it.
My only other gripe is the narrow fairways they mow. I never understood this practice. Unless the tall grass is OB, it does not add anything. It does, however, take away rollers and make it hard to find your disc even in the fairway. The grass outside the little strips (anywhere from 10 - 20 feet wide @ the teebox to the full 30' around the pin.) is around knee height and really hides discs!
Other Thoughts: This course has some very cool holes on it. It's challenging, but it's also one of the best in the area. You will need a variety of shots on this course. There are trees dead center in front of pads. There are sweeping downhill shots that run through semi-dense forest and have baskets placed on hillsides. But, all in all, what it boils down to is a fun course. I enjoyed the change from hole to hole. 100% worth making the drive and it's about an hour away from me. I will be back.

An excellent course for new and seasoned players!

2-4    3/15/2011   3/16/2011
Review By: carrioke
Pros: Concrete tee pads Garbage cans and benches periodoicly throughout the course Great elevation changes Wonderful use of space Decent hole length
Cons: Not enough places for garbage Some dangerous slopes when wet/muddy
Other Thoughts: An excellent course for new and seasoned players. There are enough easy holes for beginners and enough challenges for more experienced players. Being a woman, I love the length of the holes. Most of them are reachable for par! (Of course, you have to miss the trees first!) I think I was 20 over the first time I played (6 months ago) and I was 10 over March, 15 2011. I wanted everyone to see the beauty so I posted the pics on here.

Great Course

5+    10/8/2010   10/8/2010
Review By: andrewlin18
Pros: The tee pads are concrete and really nice. There are some baskets 400+ feet, so get ready to show off your distance. Great variety of holes both in the woods and open. Great looking course, always mowed and enjoyable to walk.
Cons: Very difficult to play on first time, because alot of the baskets are hidden.
Other Thoughts: I shot 21 over par on 18 my first visit, but after learning the course I have shot even. Although there are many baskets in the woods, the woods are forgiving and not overly dense, unless you cross the creeks lol. Love the course.

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

2-4    9/11/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: Nailscars
Pros: Holes 1, 9, 10, and 18 are all together at the parking lot, makes playing just 9 holes easier. There are a couple of very nice long shots and a few shots that are challenging, but seem fair and fun.
I personally love DISCatcher baskets, and the concrete tees were nice.
Cons: This course is very tough. The first time through can be especially hard because most baskets aren't visible from the tees.
For a right handed player who throws mostly backhand the course seems even more challenging. Even the straight holes have trees or overhangs that call for an right turn throw.
Other Thoughts: This is not a course to bring a bunch of drivers and see how far you can throw. It is a tight, challenging course that rewards replays.
While I found the course to be hard, I still had fun playing it (even though my first round was 30 over par). I think over time as players clear out some flight lines and trample down some underbrush it will be an even more enjoyable course.