Springfield, IL
Douglas Park Share

Quality Recreational Course

1    8/23/2015   9/29/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
-The standout here is the ELEVATION changes. Absolutely awesome use of the rolling hills here!!
-The course does not interfere with other park users in this busy city park
-Course map right by hole #1
-Varying teepad sizes. Some very short ones on the shorter holes and all of them are a little too narrow.
-Could not find any of the markers for the advanced tees
-Tee signs are no longer readable on any hole
Hole #1 starts you off with an awesome view of the capitol building and sets the tone for the rest of the round. While this course is not overly difficult or lengthy it was just pure DG enjoyment. This is a classic casual DG course. You won't see big tourneys at this course, but that's not what this place is about. Sure the course theme is repetitive up and down the hills but they keep it interesting with different shot lines, tree obstacles, and decent pin placements. I really think this course has the perfect amount of challenge for a casual city course. If you want a more challenging course Lincoln Park has you covered. Really great DGC options in Springfield. I would play Douglas Park again if I was in the area.

Noob Review

1    6/28/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Redleg
Pros: Nice location, lots of hills, challenging with all the hills and valleys for a new player. All the Tees and Pins where pretty easy to find. Several you could not see from the tee but tee placement was pretty logical
Cons: Park needs a good cleaning. lots of trash on the course I didn't bring a big enough bag to carry off all I found! Mostly alcohol containers. Couple of the tees need some maintenance. Looks like the have begun but have not finished.
Other Thoughts: It is a great course going to have to play again just to get my score down since I junked up my first visit with my score.

Great course!!!

1    3/6/2010   3/6/2010
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 5/18/2011
Pros: I'll go chronological order, I guess. :)
-As soon as I got there, I ran into a group of kids who were promoting the "Springfield Disc Golf Club" and were handing out business cards with the url and all the information about the club. He said that he was handing out minis, but they ran out. How awesome is that?!?
-The first shot is beautiful, you're basically throwing it at the capital building. I was in complete awe when I was standing on the tee. Very, very cool.
-Great risk/reward on some of these shots. #2 comes to mind specifically.
-HUUGE elevation changes. Although it gets kind of repetitive, it was a blast playing here. Probably the biggest hills I've ever played.
-Definitely some sweeeet ace runs! I hit metal on hole #8!
-Nice big map at the beginning of the course and nice little tee maps as well.
Cons: -The ground around the baskets were muddy and some of the tees were very short. The last few holes were kind of boring because it just a throw across a gap, so it's a constant "down up" kind of thing.
Other Thoughts: Did I mention how sweet the first shot was? I did, but I should mention it again, very, very cool!
Also, the people at this park were all very, very friendly. Everyone said hi or waved which was really cool. I had an absolute blast playing here. Thanks, Springfield!

As an aside, while you're here, definitely check out Abraham Lincoln's tomb! It's very close!

Hilly Tight Course

1    8/5/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: atomictoyguy
Pros: I really liked this course for its variety of shots, and excellent flow. I found getting from pin to next tee to be for the most part quick which was nice to keep the rhythm of play up. They made great use of terrain and elevation.
Cons: The course is very tight, holes seem to layer upon each other in several areas. Meaning that the fairways overlap. So if the course is busy you might find your self waiting for players on other holes to clear out of your way.

Pitch & Putt...

5+    9/29/2007   10/11/2007
Review By: tomschillin
This review was updated on 1/16/2009
Pros: It's fun because it's quick and easy...only need a mid-range and putter...it plays up and down and around several little hilltops...first hole has a beautiful backdrop of the capital building...decent tee pads and baskets...lots of ace runs...my favorite holes were in the middle, #6 i think is a beautiful hilltop to hilltop shot that's not too terribly tough, and there's another couple of holes just like this that traverse hilltop to hilltop...the layout of this course is pretty cool, there's not a whole lot of space, but they managed to squeeze 18 holes in here and a practice basket without crossing fairways, or really any safety hazards...
Cons: Pro-tees need to be marked better...course isn't in a "bad" part of town but the park does have it's share of vagabonds (just wanted to use the word) and some homosexual activity...there's a concrete pavillion that has some walls that kind of enclose the space, so "Activities" go on in there that aren't noticed by passers-by, it's kind of a creepy little pavilion...it's by the 16 or 17 tee pad if i remember correctly...it's not an unsafe feeling, but you definitely notice it...
Other Thoughts: Current configuration I can play 18 holes in about 40 minutes...if I knew where the pro tees were it would be more challenging and take longer...park also has a amphitheatre and nice playground for the kids...