Springfield, IL
Douglas Park Share

Very nice course.

5+    11/26/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: fulker
Pros: - Alt. pin locations for tourney play adds a challenge to the course for Rec. players.
- Course plays back and fourth across a valley on holes 11 to 17 which seems to make the course. I would have to say the signature hole is Hole 1 with the first throw heading at the capitol building in the distance.
Cons: - Acorns in the fall. Watch your step they will meet you at the ground.
- Leave the tie dye at home in the fall the leaf monsters will get it. Spotters are helpful during the fall on 50% of the holes since they are covered with leaves.

Excellent course for amateurs

2-4    8/19/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: uigrad
Pros: In spite of some of the negative reviews, I love this course. I don't have great distance, but the majority of us don't. For a casual player like myself, this course is excellent.

The main theme of this course is up or down hills, with tall trees as obstacles in strategic places. I don't claim that there is a lot of variety, because this theme is repeated over and over, but for players that like hills and trees, this repetition is a good thing. This is my favorite thing about the course.

The first hole is very scenic, as you are driving towards a horizon that frames the capital building. You won't see anything like this for the rest of the course, but most of the holes are still quite scenic, due to the high vantage points, and lack of thick woods.

The course is very relaxing for casual play. The tees are comfortable (concrete), there is considerable shade the whole way. There is only woods for one hole (#2), so you won't need to worry about poison ivy or thorns. The hills are not terribly steep, so it is easy terrain to walk through.

The course is well maintained. I didn't see any damaged baskets or tees, and it is always mowed well. There is plenty of parking, and there's a map when you first enter.

Lastly, I think the course is designed very well for casual play. It is laid out nicely, without a lot of walking between holes, but yet spread out enough that you don't have to worry about hitting golfers on other holes.

There aren't any ridiculous hard obstacles or 600 ft holes, but there are still a lot more challenges than you may expect for a casual city course. In my opinion, the balance is about perfect.

The fairways are far enough away from houses, swingsets, and walking paths that you won't need to worry about hitting kids or other park-goers. I have seen people walking dogs, but they have never been in the way.
Cons: The biggest con to this is that it is a bit lacking for higher level players. 8 of the 18 holes are under 250 feet, and the longer tees are either non-existent or hard to find. Even if you play the harder tees (if you can find them), the longest for any hole is 406!

I wish I could say that there are no navigation problems, but the direction to walk for the next tee is printed back at the sign for the last one. The course flows pretty well, so you can guess the correct direction to walk nearly every time. I don't think this is much of a problem, though. I've found my way through pretty easily without help.

According to a Springfield local that I spoke with, this park is a well-known spot for illegal activity, especially after dark. I didn't see anything of concern when I was there, but I've only been during broad daylight.
Other Thoughts: This will never be the home of a huge tournament, but for casual play, it is one of the best courses in central Illinois.

Springfield is very fortunate to have 3 full-length courses, so they can easily have one that caters to amateur players. I think this course does that very nicely.

Douglas

1    8/7/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: kylesplash
Pros: Nice course with hills and trees. Most holes are under 300FT, makes for a nice relaxing experience.
Cons: The tee's didnt indicate which direction the hole is. You had to look at the map, and it indicated north.

Noob Review

1    6/28/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Redleg
Pros: Nice location, lots of hills, challenging with all the hills and valleys for a new player. All the Tees and Pins where pretty easy to find. Several you could not see from the tee but tee placement was pretty logical
Cons: Park needs a good cleaning. lots of trash on the course I didn't bring a big enough bag to carry off all I found! Mostly alcohol containers. Couple of the tees need some maintenance. Looks like the have begun but have not finished.
Other Thoughts: It is a great course going to have to play again just to get my score down since I junked up my first visit with my score.

Fun little park course

1    2/26/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a grassy park that's mostly filled with nice mature trees. A small amount of underbrush comes into play on a couple early holes, otherwise there's no real rough. Most holes have some kind of elevation change, which definitely adds variety and fun to the course. There are some fun downhill ace runs, some tougher uphill shots, and some shots from one hillside to another where a short shot leaves you with a tricky uphill approach.

Though the course is pretty short overall, there's enough variety in hole shapes and elevation changes that it doesn't get too repetitive. For many players, most holes are putter or mid shots, but you'll need to shape lots of different lines through the trees to get your birdies. The short set of tees have decent concrete pads, and basic signs. There are long tees that add some challenge and length to the course. The tee signs show distance and layout for both tees, and for both pin positions on the holes that have alternates.
Cons: The long tees looked like they would change up the course and add quite a bit of difficulty, unfortunately they're hard to find since they're only marked with a board flush with the ground. They're also natural, so many of the ones I saw were rutted out and not very level. The alternate pins also added some nice variety, but it would be nice to have a way of noting which pin positions were in use, there were a few holes where it wasn't obvious where to throw without knowing where the pin was.

There are a few spots that are odd in terms of navigation, nothing major but you might have to wander a bit between some holes. The course is very short, so despite some fun holes and good variety of shot shapes, it's just not all that challenging for better players. There are a few places where roads and parking lots come into play for potential safety issues.
Other Thoughts: This course isn't going to challenge more experienced players, it's short and doesn't offer much punishment for errant shots. Newer players will have a lot of fun here, it's got reasonable lengths for shorter throwers, and enough trees to keep it interesting without being so dense that it's frustrating. I had a good time playing here, and would recommend a stop here especially if you combine it with the 36 holes at nearby Lincoln Park.

5+    7/5/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: Stoney311
Pros: Very nice, short beginner friendly course in a decent part of town. Uses elevation changes and large trees nicely on every hole. Concrete tee pads, water fountains, restrooms, and practice baskets(2) onsite. Very easy to follow the flow of course, even if you've never played it before. Lots of Ace run holes, especially #4.
Cons: - If you are a more advanced player, pro tees are natural and not marked, If you see a blue railroad tie behind concrete tee this is normally the pro tee.

-sometimes some shady characters hang out by pavillion on sw corner of park starting around hole #13. I actually had 1 person actually pick my disc up after a drive.

-ocassionally the park is very busy and around hole one i have actually had to skip because people had volleyball net stretched across fairway and or were playing football in fairway.
Other Thoughts: This is the course I play the most since i am just starting out. I would recommend for any beginner to intermediate player. If you are more concerned about being challenged should check out Lincoln Park. But if you are just wanting a fun day of DG then this is a NICE option.

Nice course from the blue tees

2-4    6/8/2010   6/9/2010
Review By: green_hornet915
This review was updated on 12/11/2010
Pros: Course had a great view of the capital on hole one was a great photo opp. The course is laid out well and has a good variety of shots we played from the blue tees WHEN WE COULD FIND THEM. the park is very well kept and a 2.5 miles of walking good time!!
Cons: It plays very short from the red concrete pads for a more challenging game find the blue pads. The only thing I can say is the blue tee boxes were hard to find on some holes. mabey the park could weed eat around the blue pads to make it easyer to find these placements.
Other Thoughts: I was out at this course again in the fall the park was inindated with leaves the park needed to have some maitainance done. at some places the leaves were 4 foot deep in the ditches not very disc golf friendly at all.

Fun Little Course

2-4    5/25/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: cooktastic
Pros: This is a fun little course. It is short...but the shots are all interesting. There is a surprising amount of elevation changes for this part of central Illinois. The view of the Capital Building from hole 1's tee is pretty cool (a very nice signature hole). Some very friendly and helpful disc golfers the first time I played who went out of their way to make sure we knew where we were going on all holes...speaks volumes for the disc golf community in Springfield. Very nice mature trees throughout. Love the risk/reward secondary route (very narrow walking path instead of the layup shot to the opening in the woods down to the pin) on hole 2.
Cons: It is a pretty short course...not too many times to let your drives rip. The park can have some sketchy people in it from time to time. The back nine is a little repetitive as other reviewers have stated.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. It is one of my favorite shorter courses to play. Plenty of variety and a great compliment to Springfield's other two courses.

Fun and Hilly

1    5/25/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: This is a great little course...I had a ton of fun out here. The 18 holes doesn't feel cramped at all. The land is very hilly with nice mature trees throughout. Kinda reminds me of a junior version of Water Works in some ways. Lots of unique tee shots and plenty of birdie/ace runs because most of the distances are under 300 ft. Great for all skill levels which is nice if you are playing with beginners. Course is very well maintained with tee signs and concrete tees. Beautiful view off the first tee...
Great location in town...especially in relation to the other courses. Course flow is wonderful. I had no trouble navigating and it was my first time there.
Cons: If you are looking for mega challenge, you won't find it here. Some of the tee pads are pretty short. The pavilion at the back of the park had some pretty sketchy people hanging out up there...which I am told is a very common occurrence (not a huge deal).
Other Thoughts: This is more of a casual players course but there is enough fun to keep it interesting for better players. They did as well as they could with the land available. It is a no-brainer to play if you are in the area.

Great course!!!

1    3/6/2010   3/6/2010
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 5/18/2011
Pros: I'll go chronological order, I guess. :)
-As soon as I got there, I ran into a group of kids who were promoting the "Springfield Disc Golf Club" and were handing out business cards with the url and all the information about the club. He said that he was handing out minis, but they ran out. How awesome is that?!?
-The first shot is beautiful, you're basically throwing it at the capital building. I was in complete awe when I was standing on the tee. Very, very cool.
-Great risk/reward on some of these shots. #2 comes to mind specifically.
-HUUGE elevation changes. Although it gets kind of repetitive, it was a blast playing here. Probably the biggest hills I've ever played.
-Definitely some sweeeet ace runs! I hit metal on hole #8!
-Nice big map at the beginning of the course and nice little tee maps as well.
Cons: -The ground around the baskets were muddy and some of the tees were very short. The last few holes were kind of boring because it just a throw across a gap, so it's a constant "down up" kind of thing.
Other Thoughts: Did I mention how sweet the first shot was? I did, but I should mention it again, very, very cool!
Also, the people at this park were all very, very friendly. Everyone said hi or waved which was really cool. I had an absolute blast playing here. Thanks, Springfield!

www.discgolfclub.org

As an aside, while you're here, definitely check out Abraham Lincoln's tomb! It's very close!