Springfield, IL
Douglas Park Share

< Prev 1 2 3
Best of the 4 Springfield Courses!!

1    11/5/2016   11/6/2016
Review By: mrbro855
Pros: Very scenic course located in a city park with hills, valleys, and mature trees a-plenty!!
Concrete tee pads at every tee as well as numbered signposts (though what I assume was the original signage is missing).
Course flowed real well and was easy to follow- with or without the online map.
Numerous holes come to mind:
#2- 90 degree right throw about 120 ft out then 100 ft right with a solid tree line as protection
#4 Top of the world(#1) to a basket solidly behind some trees
#8 Top of the world (#2) to a basket behind a large tree.
#12- #15- Across the valley shots with assorted trees/ tree lines as protection. (Contrary to other reviewers- I did not find that stretch boring)
#18 Straight up a hill with pines as protection.

On the day we went there were two large groups of individuals having picnics at two separate pavilions... park is laid out fine, such that none of the crowd ever came into play.
Cons: Needs some TLC to get it into pristine condition....
Add some new signage at each tee box.....
Clean up the wooded area on #2 that is starting to encroach onto the pad and into the fairway....
Bonus points for adding concrete pads to the long tees (which were marked only by 4x4's as the line... some obscured by grass)
Other Thoughts: This was the third Illinois road trip (from St Louis) that my 17 y/o son and I have done this fall... Today we hit all four of the Springfield 18's... Without a doubt, we both agreed this was the most fun of all four of the courses....
Give it some of the TLC recommended in my cons and it easily rates a 4 in my book.
If you do all four Springfield courses in one day, do this one last, as you will come away disappointed in the others if you do this one first.

What An Excellent Course For This Old Rec Player!

1    6/16/2016   6/16/2016
Pros: Douglas Park has just about perfect terrain for a disc golf course. The park is green, wonderfully hilly with lots of mature trees to throw at and around. There is a nice course map sign at the beginning. The tee signs are the old style fiberglass ones. These are all faded. They only have a hole number on them. The concrete tee pads vary in size depending on the hole's distance. I thought were more than adequate. The baskets are older DGA models. Most of them have some kind of number on top. Lots of benches to relaxe on.
The course is instinctive to navigate. One drawback is it's lack of length. This alone classifies it as a recreational course. Better players won't find much challenge here.
The course uses the elevation to the fullest. There's only maybe 3-4 holes which are flat. The rest play up, down or over the valley that runs through the park. The over the valley shots are great enjoyment but might be a tad overdone with five "over the valley" holes in a row starting at # 13.
But even with some repetitiveness, all these downhill, through the tree shots are mega-fun, in my opinion.
My signature/favorite hole goes to # 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17. And 18 was a fun throw, too.
Cons: Recreational length and difficulty.
Very little risk/reward on this course.
Could use some trash cans, although I saw next to no trash.
The five holes that cross the valley, although immensely fun, did start to grow monotonous.
Other Thoughts: I'd love to take this park and course home with me. It fits my game, age and recreational level to the max. Nice and shady for those warm summer days but plenty of hills to trek up and down. Rating this course is difficult for me. If it just up to me, I'd give it a 5 but in comparison with other courses, I'm reluctantly giving it a 3.5. Kind of pains me to have to rate it this lower. It's one of my top 10 courses I've played. So very much reminds me of Riverside Park DGC in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Riverside offers more challenge than Douglas but I'm about 7-8 years older now.

In summation, play it, you'll probably love it!

Douglas Park

2-4    3/19/2016   3/19/2016
Review By: derek1018
Pros: Great elevation and all the uphill/downhill walking is easy
Fun course design
Easy course to play, many opportunities to ace
Benches located throughout the course
Concrete tee pads
Cons: Advanced tees are either gone or very difficult to find
Signage is nonexistent to show where baskets are located
Trash all over the course
Inconsistent tee pad sizes
Other Thoughts: This is a beginner course but its fun to play. Challenges on every basket are the trees and the fun uphill/downhill shots. I appreciate the benches all over but there needs to be trash cans located throughout the course because its littered with trash. Lines on signage are nonexistent and need to be redone along with adding cement tee pads for advanced tees.

Fun and good exercise

1    3/8/2016   3/9/2016
Review By: Sanctified777
Pros: Very hilly but manageable to walk. This is a great short or beginner course.
Cons: Some small tee boxes, and the tee signs dont have hole details.
Other Thoughts: I like this course. It was great with a beginner and loved the trees and hills.

Quality Recreational Course

1    8/23/2015   9/29/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros:
-The standout here is the ELEVATION changes. Absolutely awesome use of the rolling hills here!!
-The course does not interfere with other park users in this busy city park
-Course map right by hole #1
Cons:
-Varying teepad sizes. Some very short ones on the shorter holes and all of them are a little too narrow.
-Could not find any of the markers for the advanced tees
-Tee signs are no longer readable on any hole
Hole #1 starts you off with an awesome view of the capitol building and sets the tone for the rest of the round. While this course is not overly difficult or lengthy it was just pure DG enjoyment. This is a classic casual DG course. You won't see big tourneys at this course, but that's not what this place is about. Sure the course theme is repetitive up and down the hills but they keep it interesting with different shot lines, tree obstacles, and decent pin placements. I really think this course has the perfect amount of challenge for a casual city course. If you want a more challenging course Lincoln Park has you covered. Really great DGC options in Springfield. I would play Douglas Park again if I was in the area.

Best beginners course ever

5+    7/5/2015   9/5/2015
Review By: pianocomposer
Pros: Most beginner courses are terrible. In many ways, this course is better than Lincoln North because it takes more variety and talent to play it. Trees, elevation, blind shots, and yet is nice and short. A good player can shoot 45 but is never boring. And wind can really make it tough.
Cons: I have no issues with this course. Watch out for park users.
Other Thoughts: Best short course I have ever played.

Very nice course.

5+    11/26/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: fulker
Pros: - Alt. pin locations for tourney play adds a challenge to the course for Rec. players.
- Course plays back and fourth across a valley on holes 11 to 17 which seems to make the course. I would have to say the signature hole is Hole 1 with the first throw heading at the capitol building in the distance.
Cons: - Acorns in the fall. Watch your step they will meet you at the ground.
- Leave the tie dye at home in the fall the leaf monsters will get it. Spotters are helpful during the fall on 50% of the holes since they are covered with leaves.

Excellent course for amateurs

2-4    8/19/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: uigrad
Pros: In spite of some of the negative reviews, I love this course. I don't have great distance, but the majority of us don't. For a casual player like myself, this course is excellent.

The main theme of this course is up or down hills, with tall trees as obstacles in strategic places. I don't claim that there is a lot of variety, because this theme is repeated over and over, but for players that like hills and trees, this repetition is a good thing. This is my favorite thing about the course.

The first hole is very scenic, as you are driving towards a horizon that frames the capital building. You won't see anything like this for the rest of the course, but most of the holes are still quite scenic, due to the high vantage points, and lack of thick woods.

The course is very relaxing for casual play. The tees are comfortable (concrete), there is considerable shade the whole way. There is only woods for one hole (#2), so you won't need to worry about poison ivy or thorns. The hills are not terribly steep, so it is easy terrain to walk through.

The course is well maintained. I didn't see any damaged baskets or tees, and it is always mowed well. There is plenty of parking, and there's a map when you first enter.

Lastly, I think the course is designed very well for casual play. It is laid out nicely, without a lot of walking between holes, but yet spread out enough that you don't have to worry about hitting golfers on other holes.

There aren't any ridiculous hard obstacles or 600 ft holes, but there are still a lot more challenges than you may expect for a casual city course. In my opinion, the balance is about perfect.

The fairways are far enough away from houses, swingsets, and walking paths that you won't need to worry about hitting kids or other park-goers. I have seen people walking dogs, but they have never been in the way.
Cons: The biggest con to this is that it is a bit lacking for higher level players. 8 of the 18 holes are under 250 feet, and the longer tees are either non-existent or hard to find. Even if you play the harder tees (if you can find them), the longest for any hole is 406!

I wish I could say that there are no navigation problems, but the direction to walk for the next tee is printed back at the sign for the last one. The course flows pretty well, so you can guess the correct direction to walk nearly every time. I don't think this is much of a problem, though. I've found my way through pretty easily without help.

According to a Springfield local that I spoke with, this park is a well-known spot for illegal activity, especially after dark. I didn't see anything of concern when I was there, but I've only been during broad daylight.
Other Thoughts: This will never be the home of a huge tournament, but for casual play, it is one of the best courses in central Illinois.

Springfield is very fortunate to have 3 full-length courses, so they can easily have one that caters to amateur players. I think this course does that very nicely.

Douglas

1    8/7/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: kylesplash
Pros: Nice course with hills and trees. Most holes are under 300FT, makes for a nice relaxing experience.
Cons: The tee's didnt indicate which direction the hole is. You had to look at the map, and it indicated north.

Noob Review

1    6/28/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Redleg
Pros: Nice location, lots of hills, challenging with all the hills and valleys for a new player. All the Tees and Pins where pretty easy to find. Several you could not see from the tee but tee placement was pretty logical
Cons: Park needs a good cleaning. lots of trash on the course I didn't bring a big enough bag to carry off all I found! Mostly alcohol containers. Couple of the tees need some maintenance. Looks like the have begun but have not finished.
Other Thoughts: It is a great course going to have to play again just to get my score down since I junked up my first visit with my score.

< Prev 1 2 3