Lakeport, CA

Leave for the kiddies

1    1/9/2014   1/9/2014
Review By: jasonandsharon
Pros: 9 semi new dga baskets
Cons: No tees. One old dga sign to start the course.
Other Thoughts: I don't know what used to be here, judging from previous reviews it was a very different course, but as of January 1, 2014 there are now 9 baskets in the middle of a grassy area that play in a somewhat big dipper shape. The baskets are laid out about 20 to 30 feet from each other and other than a sidewalk to throw from for hole 1 it appears you simply throw from basket to basket. The course sits in the common area between the elementary, middle, and high schools. Judging from the distances of the baskets and its location next to the playground this one is mostly for elementary kids. Its difficult to knock these types of courses since they provide a great intro for children to the game. But really this course is very unimaginative and litteraly just nine baskets in a grassy area. There are I suppose safari options and it would be fine for putting practice if you lived close by, but this one is best left for the kids, especially considering there is a great course at highland springs just a few miles away.

Clearlake HS, Needs Work

1    1/26/2013   1/31/2013
Review By: Hazer
Pros: Nice baskets. Hole 1: nice slightly uphill ace run. A couple signs on the course. One longer hole (I think), but shooting over a completely open field. No traffic. Could be okay for putting practice or safari (watch your disc tho!).
Cons: Only 6 baskets remaining. Waist high weeds everywhere. Natural (uneven) tees; no attempt to make the ground flat. Hole 2's sign is laying on the ground between a basket (unknown hole number) and what apparently is 6's tee -? I also found a sign for hole three laying in some tall weeds, but I don't think it was anywhere near where it was originally put in. All but one of the holes are very short from what I could gather. I only did end up finding 4 signs though, so who knows? No maintenance whatsoever.
Other Thoughts: The layout I could deceifer was a complete joke, with the exception of hole 1, which isn't bad. Most of the remaining baskets are in two clumps. I'm guessing the rest used to be in between them. No trash cans or restrooms. If the area was completely cleaned up and a new layout put in after 1, it could be a decent HS course for beginners and young students. But for now, I say skip it. It's a waste of time unless you live nearby and use it for a practice area.

1    7/28/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: snappyfingers
Pros: About the only "pro" I can think of is that this course exists, but only barely. Hole #1 was fun but other than that this whole course is a wash. Yes there were tee signs and yes there were baskets but other than that this place is a joke.
Cons: Terrible layout, terrible landscape, terrible weeds, terrible course. Basically a total waste of time and baskets. I can't imagine that there are "locals" and if there are, they should be ashamed about how bad they have let this course become. If you're into losing plastic, feeling serious frustration and having major disappointment, then this course is for you. My recommendation: avoid at all costs.
Other Thoughts: This was the second to last course Lion and I played on our most recent road trip. Based on the existing reviews we weren't expecting much. It took a few minutes to find hole #1 and when we did we thought this was going to be a fun little course. Hole #1 had a tee sign and was an easy putter shot up a hill. It was a fun hole and gave us a really false impression. Upon arriving at hole #2 we found that the tee sign was down on the ground. What was worse is that the weeds were so overgrown that the potential for losing a disc was extremely high. We never found a sign for hole #3 nor could we discern where the basket was. Hole #4's tee sign was finally found and was obviously not where it was originally cemented into the ground... it was propped against a tree away from the "course". The only other tee sign we found was for hole #6.

We were only able to find a total of seven baskets and four tee signs. With no map available we had no idea as to the layout or where the holes actually were. It was obvious that there was no maintenance done on the course whatsoever. We tried to make the most of the situation and play a full nine holes but due to the terrible layout and missing signs/baskets, it was impossible to enjoy this course.

The first six holes were covered by extremely tall dry weeds and yellow flowers with very prickly thorns. We both almost lost several discs and were completely frustrated after just a few holes. Fortunately we didn't lose any plastic but we did have to search for what seemed like an eternity to find out shots. Keep in mind that our shots were not errant... it's just that the grass/weeds were so high.

I've played some crappy courses but this really tested my patience. Whoever is in charge of this course should be ashamed. The baskets should just be donated to another local course as it's apparent that this course is rarely played and is really a waste of space/time/baskets/etc. I'm usually not this negative about a course but this place really bummed me out. I would recommend only trying to play this if you're trying to hit every course in California.

Short and Quick

1    2/14/2011   2/15/2011
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - On the grounds of a high school as well as a middle and elementary school, so there is a lot of opportunity for kids to learn the game.
- A few holes with elevation change, there are a couple with small downhill's, one with a little uphill, and another with pretty extreme uphill.
- Short, can be played in less than a 1/2 hour
- Mostly open with a few tightly wooded holes
Cons: - One hole plays very close to some of the school buildings and could result in broken windows
- Short, bring out your putter for most holes (multiple under 100'), a mid, and a driver for a couple of holes
- Holes 5 and 8 share the same tee sign and can confuse people who don't know the course.
- Hole 9 has no tee sign
- A few of the tee signs have no information on them, though the baskets are viewable from the tee.
- A few holes are easy to overshoot even with a putter, on hole 2 this can leave you over a fence behind the basket.
- Hole 9 finishes quite a ways away from hole 1, so if you want to play multiple rounds you have a bit of a walk to make it back to hole 1.
- Holes 8 and 9 play into the high schools fields
Other Thoughts: A new course on the grounds of a high school, near one of the first courses in the world. Students who were around the course seemed to know nothing about how the course played or really anything about disc golf in general, which leads me to wonder if they have put any disc golf into their P.E. program. I've been surprised that with as great of a course as is down the road, that they haven't put in any other courses around Lake County before this. Hopefully with new kids learning the sport we will have more new courses going in.