Odessa, TX
McKinney Park Share
Uploaded By: Aggiepi Hole #1 (Taken 2/2013)
3 / 212ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Decent course

5+    3/20/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: diskritter
Pros: While the course in Midland and Comanche Trail across the highway are for the majority wide open with few obstacles and trees to avoid, this course really stretches your ability to play finesse. All the people above me who said this course was too easy played it wrong. On or across ALL concrete is OB which comes into play almost every hole, especially hole 4 where you only have a narrow 10 foot wide alley on the right side of the path to land your drive on through a 6 ft gap.. not easy at all in my book. I really like this course because it offers a quick 9 holes that test your accuracy and patience. There are several holes that are ace-able and setting everything as par 3's helps keep you humble. I am a decent disc golfer and rarely shoot under par over there. If you want an easy course, play Midland or Comanche Trail. This course is tough.
Cons: While it doesn't play ACROSS any walking trails, the danger to go on the trail or in the street is present for most of the course. You definitely want to be aware of walkers/joggers and cars. I do agree with the guy who said the walk from hole 9 to the parking area is way too long, but I think they designed it for easy access under the highway from Comanche Trails DGC.
Other Thoughts: This is a good addition to the Odessa DG scene. It will provide a good third course for tournaments in the future since all three of our courses are right there within a mile of this course. I challenge anyone to play this course with the proper OBs and shoot under par on a regular basis!

McKinney Park

1    2/16/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: There is plenty of parking and is just across the highway from Comanche Park. I like the technicality of holes 2-6. The park did provide wooded post painted blue to help tell you where the tee box was.
Cons: I did not like that hole 1 and 9 are so far apart that either way there is quite a walk to where you park either before or after your round. Hole 1 also plays right by the basketball course so if you hit that first tree you could hit the kids playing there. It also is right by the street so the issue of hitting a car comes up. Holes 2-6 were a little hard to find because I thought hole 2 was 7's tee box until I saw 6's basket. Hole 4 requires you to throw across the park's walking path which is dangerous to oncoming walkers around the corner. Hole 7 is right by the road as well, with the traffic coming over the hill/ bridge where they may not see your disc coming. Also on 8 you throw right by some fenced off area, so it may be hard to get your disc back if you throw it in there.

1    10/27/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: quietman2005
This review was updated on 11/30/2012
Pros: To play the course well requiers lots of technical skills and different types of shots.
Cons: The course is very short. Some of the signs are starting to fade. If I hadn't looked at the map posted here before I played I would not have known that you had to cross the rode to play holes 2-6.
Other Thoughts: I think I would have enjoyed this course more if I had played it before I played the larger course across the highway.

Good 9-hole

2-4    11/5/2011   11/5/2011
Review By: Clintonio
Pros: The baskets were in placed in some good clearings for the most part. The course always seems to be well maintained.
Cons: It's open enough on the last 4 holes that your disc can really carry if there is any wind.

Fun little round...

1    9/9/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: eegor
Pros: Plenty of obstacles with "risky" basket placements make this a fun little course. The open holes are in a well established park with nicely mowed short grass and plenty of large trees. The baskets are near the road, on a hill or very close to a small creek... requiring accurate approaches/drives.

The wooded part (holes 2 - 6) require accurate shots or your score will rise quickly.

Very good DGA baskets... brand new!
Cons: The course is a little short (it had to be because there just isn't that much land left in the park). It's quite a bit easier than the course across I-20 (Cherokee Trail).

The tee pads are natural, but this really isn't that big of a deal in this part of the country... but concrete pads would be nicer... of course.
Other Thoughts: It was nice to play a new course, but this is a "tough for a beginner" course. The risky pin placements make it interesting for experienced players, but if you can control your drives and approaches, you can easily par every hole (or birdie them - there are four holes that I "should" birdie... and I usually shoot par to +4 on most courses). It was just a little too easy for my taste... I much prefer the older course across the highway (that is a quick walk to using the jogging path under the bridge).

New players, women and the less adventurous would probably like this course better because it doesn't have the cactus, mesquites, honey locusts, snakes, spiders, lizards and prairie dogs like the older course (which obviously has more character) does.

Since this course offers nothing that Cherokee Trail doesn't have, and lacks a lot of what it does have... I probably won't play this one much.

Great Course

2-4    8/14/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: SKnight579
Pros: Some Great drives, well marked launch points and baskets are clear. Great obstacles through the "Forrest" along the trail, lots of room to grow! Plenty of Shade
Cons: I do wish we had nice concrete pads to shot from, other than that I can't really complain
Other Thoughts: We didn't know this course existed until we played the other course across the interstate this morning, played this one when we were finished over there and were quite impressed, Loved it!

Be careful on Hole #2 it's a doozy if your disc goes into that parking lot it's not coming back.

Park also has a pool and during the summer it gets VERY busy in the afternoons on the weekends.

Did a course map on Google maps and put it on the page, also all the lengths from the tee signs.