Shorewood, IL
Shorewood Park Share
Uploaded By: jbrock Hole #12 (Taken 6/2010)
4 / 273ft.   3 / 273ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 3 Next >
 B- = Be too short to Be fun

1    7/7/2009   7/8/2009
Pros: This is a superb beginners' course as is showcases what disc golf is all about and makes birdies conceivable for even first time players.

But, I review courses based on my tastes, so here is what I personally like and how this course stacks up:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B- (Pretty good use of trees to create relatively narrow fairways on half the holes. Problem is that the holes are too short for bad throws to be unrecoverable.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C- (Only hole #2 is not easily parkable. No thrill in parking any of the others.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A- (Great layout and great variety)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B (Other than hole 7 where you are by an industrial area, this course feels quite secluded from civilization and the park is relatively pretty. The holes are not secluded from each other at all.)

5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

short and fun

1    4/15/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: jdunk03
Pros: fair for left and right handed. mando on hole 2 is challanging. lot of ace runs out here good course to learn on
Cons: other then hole 2 not to challanging of a course,
Other Thoughts: fun and can get a round done in 45 min. near the highway be a good trip hit 6 disc golf courses within 10 miles

Nice short course

5+    3/17/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: Trick
Pros: Nice short course. Challenging without having any truly long holes. Heavily wooded, especially 3-6 and holes 9-10.
Cons: Muddy! Most tees are cement, but mud surrounds them in springtime. Bring your mud shoes. Very few long holes.
Other Thoughts: Overall a nice course to play when you don't have a lot of time, your working on your short game and tight shots, or you prefer not to play a long course. I learned on this course, which was great, but I no longer find it very challenging.

Home field

5+    11/10/2008   11/10/2008
Review By: ForehandMAN36
This review was updated on 8/25/2009
Pros: - Baskets in tip top shape
- Well marked tee signs w/ detailed map of each hole
- Concrete tees
- Course easy to navigate
- Most mandatory doglegs I've ever seen on a single course.
- Only one "wide open" shot
- Every hole factors in obstacles
- Wooded holes consist of tight/narrow fairways challenging you're abilty to throw on a line
- The open field holes work on you're abilty to hyzer/anhyzer
- Tiny creek comes into play on a few holes ( if you don't want muddy disc/shoes, don't throw in the creek.)
- Course stays in good shape whether it's the park district or volunteers making sure it does.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is the construction buildings that are next to the course. If you accidently make an erratic throw, chances are you will lose that disc due to those areas having a large barbed wire fence.
Also make sure you are paying attention when driving there, the entrance is hard to see the first time you go and drive slow when turning that first corner ( it's next to a basket, although I have never had my car hit by a disc or hit a car myself)

UPDATE* Over the past year, sadly almost all the tee signs have been marked up. Either by players ace claims (which I can't stand by the way) or drawings of weed leaves, mushrooms, or other inappropriate material.
* Also lately if you go to play on a weekday past 3 it's packed with groups of 3 -10 playing. Really busy. I tried going on a Sunday morning at 10 and the parking lot was full. It use to never get this busy. So if you want to play a relaxed round here, go on a weekday morning.
Other Thoughts: This is the course closet to my house, so I consider it my "home turf". I constantly play this course and it never takes a toll or gets boring. Anytime I get a new disc, this is the first place it gets used. I love it and highly suggest playing it.

A fun course

2-4    9/19/2008   9/30/2008
Review By: krc1130
This review was updated on 11/2/2008
Pros: Nice course, requires a good amount of skill with some fairly tight shots. Challenging and not too long, with a good mix of wooded and open shots. Nice use of space, decent flow. Holes are fairly well marked.
Cons: Some holes are a little too close to both the road and the parking lot. Was very crowded when we played on a Friday afternoon, and that hampered our play. The dried up creek that runs through the first few holes was EXTREMELY muddy, so you can run the risk of dirtying up your disc or shoes pretty bad. You run the risk of getting confused, especially on the later holes - we accidentally skipped a hole altogether.
Other Thoughts: There is nothing extraordinary about this course, and there isn't anything too bad either. The entrance could be very easy to miss from 59, so I was glad to be with someone who had played there before. Shorewood is a fun little course that I'd be glad to play again.

A Nice Little Course

2-4    8/14/2008   8/14/2008
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
This review was updated on 9/18/2012
Pros: Works on hitting lines and accuracy to get to the hole.

Mostly dense woods with a few more open holes.

Signs were okay, tee pads and baskets were good as well.

Old school course. Very short and compact. Provides some interesting tight shots that you may not see on other courses in the area.

Located in a small, but nice park just for disc golf.
Cons: Not many holes to really drive on, more of mid-range approach and putt shots.

Hard to find the first time. Just really keep an eye out for a small Shorewood park sign at the entrance to the place.

Road not too much of an issue as the people using it are disc golfers coming and going and driving slowly. Just be aware.
Other Thoughts: The length of this course doesn't take away from the fun or playability of it. It is all about accuracy and rewards well put discs and punishes slightly miss placed throws (by like 1 stroke since it is so short). It is a fun course and is near by to some other good courses like Channahon, West Park, and Highland Park. I come by to play here once or twice every year.

Short, Wooded, Fun

5/24/2008   5/24/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
Pros: Well maintained and nice calm atmosphere. Course was well marked and had nice concrete tees. The course itself is mostly short with a good variety of left, right, and straight shots. Includes some doglegs and uses the creek on some shots.
Cons: The baskets were pretty old so they weren't the best to putt on. Other than that I can't really think of much.
Other Thoughts: Overall it was a fun, well maintained course. It wasn't too crowded, which is nice. We played Community Park right after this one and we were much more impressed with that one.

Fun but short

4/23/2008   5/6/2008
Review By: D1sasterouz
Pros: Great wooded course. Interesting doglegs with lots of challenges.
Cons: Not very many long holes mostly short holes.

1 2 3 Next >