Easton, PA
Hackett Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #9 (Taken 4/2011)

Pretty average

5+    11/1/2009   11/7/2009
Review By: tarel
This review was updated on 4/8/2011
Pros: Easy to understand, the front 9 takes less than 30min to complete with 2 people. If midrange/approach play is your game than this is your course.
Cons: Only a handful of the holes are worth playing again some you just end up wondering why you decided to play it, the back holes are absolutely garbage and almost unplayable during the summer this course is great early spring to late fall since most of the grass is dead and its easy to find your disks
Other Thoughts: This course was poorly designed and could of been placed out much much better with the space and resources available at the park. I live 2min from the course and would rather drive 20min to test out new disks than play this one. This area of land has some redirection potential, wish I knew who to contact in the township to propose a layout change there is some serious elevation change that can come into play with some modification to the wooded areas.

The 2.5 - 3 rating is accurate

1    9/20/2009   9/20/2009
Review By: riggsy
Pros: Only minutes from home. Easy to navigate with good signage. A good variety of downhill, uphill and dogleg left & rights.
Cons: Not to many challenges, even for a new player. The distances are short and many throws are simular. Holes 15-17 are played in very high brush - Use a spotter or you will surely loose a disc.
Other Thoughts: With a little more maintenance and a chamge in the holes that are simular would make it 3.5 course

Working on it....

5+    7/22/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: enzyme4
Pros: Just gonna try to touch on some topics on other reviews....
Parking- you can park anywhere along the road by tee 1 as well as a dirt parking area just above the tee by the stone buiding(no need to park up at top of park).
15,16,17- These holes do get overgrown but are now maintained and playable. Trust me we're the ones that maintain them.
Cons: The course does have its flaws but it being our home course. We've decided to try and make it better for all. We have spoken to the city and someone at LVDisc Golf and hopefully we can work on a re design. All in all course is in good shape....
Other Thoughts: I play this course 3/4 times a week and its worth checking out....come out and see us for our league Wed. nights at 6pm(time will prob get earlier as the season progresses)....Thanx
Vas....
enzyme4 disc golf

Decent

1    6/10/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: Vepr
Pros: -Easy to navigate (except for hole 9 to hole 10, but looking at the map took care of that)
-Course seemed to be well maintained except for hole 15-17. And the basket on hole 4 was dented.
-Hole 16 had an interesting downward shot that goes down then levels flat and then goes down again. (which sadly was the only tee-off I found really enjoyable)
Cons: -After a while the course became very mundane. Hole 5 + 6 are essentially the same; just a wide open field. Hole 7 + 9 are the same as well; an open field to the left and trees to the right. I found myself repeating a lot of the same shots.
-Hole 12 i can not gather how the heck you are suppose to throw on this hole. There's just a huge line of trees in front of you tightly woven together and a park road on either side.
-Holes 15-17 need to be maintained! They were completely overgrown with weeds! I don't recommend these holes for the summer.

Other Thoughts: Also the course is incorrectly marked in yards instead of feet. I was looking forward to that "417 yard" hole. I never played a mile long hole!

There isn't a defined parking lot near the first tee...unless you wanna drive all the way up the hill and walk back down. I recommend parking on the grass next to the tee, which is what i did.

I rate the course a 1.5. Mostly because it became quickly mundane and none of the holes were truly all that memorable. I give some points though for maintenance on MOST of the course and the memorable tee off on hole 16. Otherwise nothing all that special here.

Watch out for the street

1    3/25/2009   3/27/2009
Review By: DWill
Pros: In a very well manicured park, with some nice elevation changes, wooded and open holes. Very nice and informative tee signs, which made looking for the next hole, that much easier. The signs gave distances, pin locations and next tee location. Tee boxes were framed by wood posts, with the front of the box painted yellow, to make it easier to see from a distance, especially nice, if your eye sight is like mine. This creates an easy flow and navigation of the course.

There is a bathroom and playground area conveniently located by the course.
Cons: The first tee is a rather long walk from the parking lot at top of the hill. I played #11 first, so I wouldn't have to walk down the hill twice. Some of the holes, as previously mention, border streets, with a great potential of landing in the street or even hitting a car. What's most dangerous is you could have a good shot that hits a tree and ricochets into the street.

Hole 10 is a blind shot, which is a little too close to a play area for my comfort. A few holes share a ball golf driving range, which you would need a hard hat to avoid injury.
Other Thoughts: I played this course in early spring when the vegetation is not in bloom, so I didn't have any problems with losing discs on holes 15, 16 and 17, but I could see the potential there. Most of my local courses that I play in the summer have a good probability of losing a disc due to the thick vegetation, so this isn't a big deal to me.

I liked the idea of the ball golf driving range. Even though it's measured off in yards, and is slightly uphill, it would be a great place to do some driving field practice and get accurate measurements.

Hacked It Course

5+    12/4/2008   2/4/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 1/12/2010
Pros: Perhaps one of the loveliest public parks to use as a disc golf course. Cool obelisks and monuments/ perfect hillsides and elevations. Perfect hardwood forrest and lovely fields. Huge pavillion. Parking. Close to the World Famous Lehigh Valley Courses. Water available.
Cons: Where to begin....Well for starters none of the above are utilized properly for the course. The course has very little fun factor and has a high danger factor. Odd. It is like the course would play better and be safer in a different configuration but instead it is both dangerous and not fun. holes 15,16, and 17 through the woods are completely overgrown..it looks like Planet of the Apes and you are discovering some relic from the past out there. Zero maintenance. Tee pads are slabs of wood in grass and signs give distance in yards not feet, totally wrong! Danger to park patrons, vehicles, players, etc. abound on numerous holes as stated in prior posts. This is a possible round at Hackets:
Hole #1 Hit a car after my drive bounced off a tree into the street 10 feet away.
Hole #2 Got hit by a golf ball as I played through the established ball golf driving range and angered at busted basket
Hole #3 Continued to dodge golf ball drives and hurried my anhyzer drive into the thorn bushes behind the basket.
Hole #4 I can't find the tee oh its the spray painted line on the road....drive into thorn bushes directly next to basket on the right of basket
Hole #5 Boring short open hole
Hole #6 Short drive downhill decapitates old man jogging on walking path 2 feet behind basket.
Hole#7 I drive with golf balls screaming up my backside as I again am skirting the driving range, damn I hit another car cause the access road is directly next to the fairway
Hole#8 Another short drive with a very busy street as a backdrop and the access road bordering the right of the fairway....thwack damn another car.
Hole#9 Oh cool I get to throw into oncoming traffic on both sides of this fairway..awesome! Thwack another car!
Hole #10 Hmm I have a choice hit those children playing on the playground next to the basket or risk another shot into the access road. Thwack! OUCH Mommy! good I did not hit a car.
Hole #11 Another throw into an incoming road and the anhyzer actually promotes playing into the road. thwack!
Hole #12 Cool island fairway surrounded by access roads Yay! Thwack!
Hole #13 Hyzer with road bordering right of fairway and thorn bushes to the left...hmm choices...Thwack
Hole #14 wow what an awesome hill gotta be a 100 foot drop open green nothing there heres the tee and the basket is not down the hill but innocently over there across from me...maybe I can just throw down this fairway and empty my bag and go home instead! No I will finish it's gotta get better?
Hole #15 Holy Jungle Im bleeding wheres the tee wheres the fairway wheres the basket shoot wheres my disc.
Hole#16 cool as hell shot here but again the weeds have overgrown to over my head and its jack in the beanstalks looking for my disc...
Hole #17 awesome downhill drive tight through woods but again so overgrown unless your disc is 5 feet wide and bright orange your gonna lose it I am bleeding itchy and so pissed off
Hole #18 Thank god its finall over now I get to shoot halfway up that huge hill and walk up the huge hill to my car and go cry.....who builds a course and does not use the hugest hill except for a long nasty walk back to the lot..
Other Thoughts: I hope my dramatization has captured the essense of this course...It is perhaps the greatest piece of land being completely put to waste....It is comically sad. Final thought..Most of the holes have somehow managed to be both short and no fun and dangerous. Takes some kind of skill to design a course this bad on a prime piece of land like this.

I Wish I Was Kidding

2-4    10/11/2008   10/17/2008
Review By: I Didn't Like It
Pros: A beautiful park with gorgeous views, great elevation, and really cool stone obelisks that line the fairways. 15 of the 18 holes are immaculately maintained. Tee signs on all 18 holes make it relatively easy to find the next tee from the basket. For the most part the course flows logically except after Holes 9 and 10, where you have to be shown the next tee.
Cons: To me, the worst design errors are holes where you throw at oncoming vehicular traffic or throw at a kid's playground. Throwing at oncoming traffic is a theme at Hackett's, with 8 holes having at least some chance to hit an oncoming car.

Hole 1 starts with a low canopy shot that forces you to throw a lefty hyzer/right flick directly over the main park road. The park road is the only fairway this hole has. Hole 2's fairway is an existing ball golf driving range. After you drive, you walk directly across the driving range into the line of fire of incoming golf balls. I wish I was kidding. Holes 3 - 6 are quite nice, esp. Hole 3.

Hole 7 runs parallel to the main park road with a low canopy keeping most shots to the left away from the road. Anyone attempting a righty hyzer is throwing directly at oncoming traffic. Hole 8 is across the park road but still parallel to it. The park road is more protected from 8's tee shots than on Hole 7. That said, the basket for Hole 8 is only 60 feet from busy Hackett Ave. Hole 8's basket area is also directly across the park road from where the ball golfers park their car when using the driving range. Upshots can easily go into Hackett Ave, or into a parked car near the driving range. Hole 9 is even more baffling as it is parallel to Hackett Ave. You drive directly at oncoming traffic and cars FLY down Hackett Ave. 9's basket is also too close to Hackett Ave.

Hole 10 takes the cake. The tee pad was never graded and was installed "uphill". Standing on the tee, you face directly at a kid's playground only 220 feet away. I wish I was kidding. The main park road lines the entire right side of the fairway and the basket is on the left, just 50 feet from the playground. The hole favors righty hyzers over the road and this is the busiest section of the park road as it leads to/from the main pavilion. Between the uphill tee pad, the playground, and the park road, I'd like to nominate Hackett's Park Hole 10 as one of the all time worst holes in disc golf history. I don't make the nomination lightly. This hole is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. I threw a flick roller as there's no way I'm throwing an air shot at kids that are only 220 feet away.

Hole 11 is a nice hole but as usual, the park road is the right side of the fairway. Hole 12 has the park road as the left side of the fairway. This part of the park road has much less car traffic on it. Hole 13 is semi-parallel to 12 but flows in the same direction. When done playing 12, you have to backtrack and walk all the way back up 12's fairway (or the park road - same thing) to get to 13's tee. I wish I was kidding. After 13, you hope that 14 is a bomb shot down the huge hill, but alas you throw across the hill.

Holes 15, 16, and 17 are where the fun begins and ends at Hacketts. These holes are absolutely gorgeous and by far the best holes on the course. They are also completely overgrown and totally unplayable (figures). The grass/weeds/brush mix is waist high if you're 6' 9''. I'm 5' 8", and I found the grass/weed/brush mix to be shoulder high. It appears the original brush was never cleared, ever. There's no way to drive or do upshots without spotting every throw. And while the signature hole 17 is beautiful, the vines hanging from the trees completely close off most of the fairway. The growth is so thick that it won't be much better in the winter. It appears the only work ever done on these 3 holes was installing the basket. I always thought you cleared the land BEFORE you install the basket. The only local I've ever seen on the course strongly discouraged me from playing these 3 holes. What's that say when locals discourage you from playing the best 3 holes on the course?

Tees are grass/dirt and not wide enough. Tee signs don't contain "next hole" information and mistakenly show the distances in yards. Tee signs don't show you whether the roads are OB or not.
Other Thoughts: Hackett's Park is fundamentally flawed. I would love to see 15 of the 18 baskets pulled with a complete re-design. It's a killer plot of land, but a horribly designed course as it currently stands. With so many shots into traffic, the ball golf driving range, the playground, the walk down back down the fairway on 12 and the three best holes being completely unplayable, there's no way this course earns more than a half star. The half star is for the plot of land itself.

Rainy Friday

1    8/29/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: five2loves42
Pros: Nice variety, good workout with the hills
Cons: From the additional info - Holes 15-17 overgrown vegetation, unplayable w/o spotters. Wish I had read this BEFORE I went out. NO WAY to find a disc without spotters and shady at best with them. Waist high weeds with a foot wid trail through them.
Other Thoughts: Mowing 15-17 would really make this course!

Pretty good course

5/5/2008   5/6/2008
Review By: skippymo
Pros: Clearly marked Tee boxes (made from wood, grass) easy to find holes, awesome wooded holes, really liked 15,16,17 all in the woods but a nice layout....birdied some holes :) always makes me feel good.
Cons: kinda hilly, but i the extra exercise......hole number one is down the road a bit, about a football field from the parking on top; accross the road from the first base line on the baseball field.
Other Thoughts: i like the technical feel of this course a lot of trees and other obsticles to go around, not just a toss and pray kinda course. i will be back to this one soon.

4/22/2008   4/24/2008
Review By: hoss53lc
Pros: Clean park, holes are well spaced and easy to find. Hills make for a good walk.
Cons: Golf pratice range is very close to hole #7. We had a ball come flying by while playing that hole.