Somerset, WI
Somerset DGC Share
Uploaded By: E_Rock25 Hole #8 (Taken 9/2010)
3 / 175ft.   3 / 225ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Getting ready for expansions

5+    5/12/2014   5/14/2014
Review By: travisjkuhlman
Pros: Shorter course with a great mix of wooded and open holes and it plays fast!
Cons: Only has 14 holes as of this review. but we are currently raising funds to help pay for new holes!
Other Thoughts: can't wait for the new holes!

1    6/30/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: turbine712
Pros: Nice mix of terrain for holes. Good elevation changes keep the course challenging.
I really liked the amount of trash bins at the tee pads.
Cons: I wish the tee pads were a bit longer.
On some of the holes there were big rocks that marked where to go for next tee. Some of the rocks need to have arrows painted on them for better direction.
Other Thoughts: I was very pleased that this course is around. I will make sure to play this more. I was wondering about how the map at the parking lot shows there are multiple baskets for some of the holes. If so... is there really a need for them? I would think that the extra baskets could be used to make the course 18 holes rather than 12.
I also was sad at the amount of vandalism (wooden tee signs broken, graffiti on the picnic benches etc.) on the course.

nice expanding course

2-4    8/5/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: rhettro
Pros: NIce mix of open and wooded holes. Amateur tee boxes are cemented. Nice and spread out, very good use of the land, and also a good mix of shorter and longer holes. easily navigable many signs directing you to the right area. Big course map by parking lot. course was also well groomed.
Cons: pro tee boxes are wood framed gravel, not terrible but some were holding water. not as many trashcans throughout the course, but really not a necessity, more of a knit pick.
Other Thoughts: This course was recently expanded to 12 holes. The last two holes dont have concrete tee boxes laid out but they are clearly marked and the pins are up. they are playable. The last two holes are behind the parking lot on the other side of the street. Apparently they are raising money to add a full back 9 and are only 2000$ away from doing it. I was very surprised at what a good course this was. Initially I was a tad skeptical of a 10 hole course 17 miles away but i was very glad I made the trip and will be returning. Everyone was extremely helpful since holes 10-12 aren't on the main map, but they are easy to figure out. On hole 11 be very careful of the brush on the right side of the fairway. it is extremely dense and loaded with thorns.

Sweet Sweet Somerset

1    3/11/2012   3/16/2012
Pros: 1) Nice kiosk with a course map of the course at the first tee. There is also a picnic table and a garbage can available. It looks like a nice place to hang out and watch people throw in between rounds.

2) Large boulders mark the first few tees which helps you navigate those first fee holes.

3) Dual tees are always a good idea (and while they do not all have dual tees right now, they plan to do that eventually.

4) Chainstars are my favorite basket to play on . . . if only they were a little more visible in the woods.

5) Attractive directionals on a few of the holes (unfortunately one was broken already). Basically it is a 2" thick section of a tree with the number painted (and perhaps even routered) along with an arrow for the direction of the tee.

6) Excellent variety of foliage density and hole type. There is fairly open prairie, to somewhat open holes with a handful of trees and obstacles, to my personal favorite densely wooded. There was even water in play on two holes when I played. I doubt in the summer that these areas hold much water, but I played right as everything was thawing.

7) Excellent amount of shot shaping needed on this course. You need to be able to throw a nice hyzer or Flex shot on #1, a bomb anhyzer on #2, a nice uphill approach on #3, a downhill acerun on #4, a straight shot through the woods up a hill on #5, a long gentle hyzer down a long tunnel on #6, #7 is almost a duplicate of #5, a big anhyzer or a skip flick shot on #8, a nice gentle stall shot on #9, and a big sharp hyzer or stall shot on #10. I have never played a course with more shot variety on 10 holes. This is the saving grace of the entire course because it is designed so well in regards to the challenge and variety. You will not get bored which is something that is hard to do on a disc golf course design. More often than not a property only features one type of shot, or one density of foliage, etc etc etc. This property has a little of absolutely everything.

8) Distance variety is tremendous here with holes in the 100's, 200's, and 300's from the shorts, and throw in the added bonus of one in the 400's from the longs. This is outstanding variety in my opinion and keeps you from being bored. It also helps test all of your skills.
Cons: 1) Normally concrete tees are always a plus, and I am not sure of the material used for these tees but it seems almost like granite . . . or the smoothest concrete I have ever seen. They are so smooth that even winter boots do not grip well on them, when perfectly dry. Before the course is completed, I would highly recommend switching material or perhaps coming up with a way to make those smooth tees better. The problem here is I like consistency, all tees on a course should be the same in my opinion.

2) The long tees are wood framed gravel . . . which I assume will be changed to match the rest of the course because we all know the people playing the longer tees will require better footing than gravel will provide (at least over a long period of time).

3) Because a few of these baskets are blind (either tough to see, or just over a hill) I highly recommend flags (on top of the baskets, if not a powder coating to the upper rim and basket to help them stand out in the woods) to make these baskets distinguishable from the tee.

4) Blind shots are always frustrating to me and here there were plenty. I did not see the basket from the tee on #2, #3 (may have been visible but I didn't see it), #5, #6, and #7. That's a lot of holes to not know for sure where you are throwing. Sure you can walk up the fairway, but in my mind if it isn't plain as day where the fairway goes and where the basket sits, something needs to be done to indicate the basket placement. I actually threw two shots on these hole, one for what I figured would be a left pin and one that would be for a right pin and depending on where the basket actually was, I played the appropriately thrown shot. It just isn't worth the time to run up a couple hundred feet just to see a basket sometimes.

5) #6 short tee is in a terrible place. I know sometimes it takes a season to know where an area should be avoided, and this is one of those spots. It will collect water in the fall and early winter, freeze up and be solid ice all winter. The tee should have been elevated slightly or perhaps move the short tee back where the long tee is (high enough on the hill to not freeze over) and the long tee can be moved further back.

6) I saw barbed wire in a couple of places and definitely in play or where people would walk. This is something that should always be scouted and removed before a course opens up.

7) No signage presently but I know this will be taken care of eventually.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, it just needs some time for the volunteer effort to catch up with the fabulous design. The only thing that really bothered me was the choice to use the tee material that they did. It makes me think that it was a material that they got donated and took it because they didn't have the funding to have anything better. I suggest taking it all out and starting over with concrete, or perhaps coming up with a unique way to make that material better (I am recommending one of those ideas I have seen from my extensive travels to one of the designers immediately following this review). The tee placement on #6 is also one thing that probably could have been avoided, although it is entirely possible I saw this location at the absolute worst time to see it, however, I think the situation of the teepad being buried in water and ice could have been avoided by simply avoiding the low area. I would love to come back up there and visit with them as they continue to expand the course on the property to the west of the current course. I hope I would have some input that might help them in their decision making process that might help them avoid hours of labor or perhaps some of the funds that they have been able to put towards the course.
So, speaking from a purely disc golf and design standpoint, this course is excellent and perhaps even a 4 disc course or better. But with the issues I encountered it gets knocked down slightly. I play courses based on their disc golf and not necessarily their amenities and infrastructure, so I would gladly play here every day of the week, but the negatives are valid and bring down the course a little bit. I want to make sure these comments are not taken too negatively (especially since I just played a round with one of the designers), but these are all things that I feel need to be mentioned. I realize it is a lot of volunteer effort to get this course in, and I appreciate the work they are doing to keep improving the course. I know this because I volunteer a lot of time myself to bettering courses in my area with little to no appreciation for the efforts. With all of this said . . . it is a good course, that just needs some more time and work to keep it good and improve it to great. It is quite possible if the additional holes help to make this a great course, but I was unsure where the property ends, so I didn't even bother going down the new fairway that had been made. I look forward to returning to play this course again, and I can't wait to see what the other portion of the property holds for more variety.

Great Winter Course

5+    12/11/2011   12/20/2011
Review By: Frank Dreban
Pros: Nice mix of long open holes and short technical holes. Love the elevation changes and course upkeep. The massive rocks indicating what the hole # is was a great idea. The course has been clean and in great shape. I enjoy that I can play it in approx. 45 minutes. This is a perfect course for winter and if the rumors of expansion I've heard are true this will be an all around top notch course year round. Thanks to Somerset!
Cons: Extremely slippery tee pads......I realize that they don't get shoveled during winter play but if you decide to throw off of them and the conditions are right you are likely to be looking at the sky. Also; wish some of the holes through the woods would have been designed a little longer however the addition of longer tee pads is going to help with this. Also; if the plan of adding another 8 holes to the course is true this will also help greatly (assuming they get a few longer holes added).
Other Thoughts: I'm fairly new to the area and after coming from Eau Claire and being spoiled with Tower Ridge I was happy to find this course as it is quite close to New Richmond. It is great to see a town contributing to the sport vs. all of the funds coming from donations and volunteers. I can't wait for this course to become 18 holes. They certainly have the land for it and assuming the hole layout is done well it will seperate this course from anything else in the area. Check it out!

A Message from the Designer

5+    7/16/2011   7/16/2011
Review By: CoolEggman
Pros: This course is designed to promote Disc Golf in the St. Croix Valley. The course was initially designed to allow beginners to learn all the throws needed to become better hucker. Since i was unaware of the skill level in the area, all holes where created short, with the possibility of expansion. We are currently working on adding alternate pins and tees which will increase the length 600+ feet & allow a person to play 18 holes using the two tee locations. Please be patient with us, most work is done by volunteers. By the end of the season we will have consistent tee pads, alternate tees on 7 holes, alternate pins on 6 holes, benches, bulletin board, and actual hole signage with distances. This winter we will be looking to expand into the other part of the park and making it a true 18 hole course.
Cons: Muddy
Buggy
Short
Other Thoughts: I have been greatly surprised the amount of use and comments that i receive while talking with people at the course.

I want to give a big thank you to the village of somerset for all of the help and up-keep. The course wouldn't be here without your help.

Good template course

2-4    6/20/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: whitechocolate
Pros: -Land is only being used for disc golf
-Holes have a decent variety of shots
-Uses the elevation changes well
-Markers to direct you to next hole

The ten holes at Somerset DCG is the best course that I have played along the MN/WI border. The first three holes give you a chance to throw a couple of drives. Hole 3 offers the opportunity for a couple of drives if you do not have strong arm (It's 470 and slightly uphill). After that the course takes you into the woods for short technical holes. They use the terrain for uphills, downhills, and a deep hyzer on 10.

The course as a hole gives off that disc golf vibe that you look for in a course. You don't have to worry about hitting kids on a playground or cyclist whipping through too fast. The giant rocks with hole numbers and the wood trunk cuts with the arrows and numbers for the next whole gave it a great feeling. I might have to steal that idea on the next course I put up. The whole exclusive course feel is a big win to me.

It is both beginner friendly and offer some challenges with some distance on the open holes and elevation throughout the course.
Cons: -Short holes are just that…short
-Needs a little more added amentities
-Teepads inconsistent

Although the wooded holes are fun, they are currently extremely short. I do not have a huge arm and my first time through I deuced 5 of them. I missed a putt within my confidence circle and got metal on 3 and 10 from just outside my circle. They are in the process of extending and making alternative ones which will definitely add to the course. I found what I believe to be a couple of them the second time through. It will be huge improvements. I personally hope they keep both tees. It'll be good for families or slower groups to play from the shorts and have the longs.

I do not tire generally when I play, especially when they are less than 18, but this course could probably use a couple of benches for people while waiting if it got busy. A couple garbage cans throughout the course would be a bonus since I did pick up some garbage and recycled when I got back to the parking lot. If they could get the community to put a port-a-potty there it would be a plus as well. You could just drive back to the gas station where you jumped off 64. The teepads were pretty slick and well. I had a problem with footing on a couple of them. Might have just needed to be swept. They seemed grainy.
Other Thoughts: I look forward to playing this course again when you improvements are complete. If I was to try to get a course installed in that general area I would bring park district people to this courses to use it as an example. It gives a decent story of what disc golf should offer. Longer open holes, wooded technical holes, elevation changes, and privacy. It is a good template to get people started in the right direction. Plus if it gets to the multiple tees point, another added bonuses for tour purposes. One of the hardest things to get park districts to understand is multiple tee locations.

Next time in town wife my wife, I would like to take her to Stillwater for a little shopping, lunch, brewery tour, walk along the river, and a couple of rounds at Somerset would make a solid afternoon. This course is worth a peek if your in the area. When the improvements are done, it has the potential to be worth going out of the way for. When the improvements are done, this has true potential to be a solid 4 type of course. And if the distance improves on the shorts and they get the extra 8 holes added, there is no way with the effort E_Rock and the crew are putting in it wouldn't be.

This is a good course building towards being a very good to great course. This is one to watch out for if you are near the WI/MN border.

Nice little local course

2-4    5/29/2011   5/28/2011
Review By: deadbody
Pros: Really fun little course. Only 1 hole that isn't reachable for even a noodle arm like myself. But nothing is easy, technical course with good use of trees to force you to shape shots. Plays a nice loop starting and ending at the parking lot. Every hole has a bit of a different feel, some uphill some downhill, left turns, right turns.

Overall a good little 10 hole course.
Cons: Teepads. 5 are concrete, 5 are gravel. The concrete is way too smooth, and it was slippery in the morning. The Gravel is rough and pitted. The only upside to the gravel is they are all on holes that are pretty much short and technical so there isn't much run-up needed. The slopes down a couple hills are pretty steep, and were slippery since it had recently rained.
Other Thoughts: As we were starting our 2nd round someone drove up and chatted for a bit, stated that they are planning on another 9 across the road. That would instantly bump this up to a 3.5 or even a 4 if they put a couple longer holes in. As it is, this is a fun course, that is worth a trip if you are nearby.

Find the "Lines" and Throw!

5+    9/8/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: TJM1977
This review was updated on 9/22/2011
Pros: Good Location in Western WI
Easy to follow course
Good for beginners and more experienced players
New Alt Teepads
New Alt pin locations
Cons: mosquitoes
no benches
No distances for Alt's
Other Thoughts: Easy to find your way around.Technical in the woods makes it very fun, good opening holes to warm up, stay on fairways and course is easy. Fun and challenging 10 hole course.
Park in parking lot walk east, first hole goes south then just follow course counterclockwise, #10 pin overlooks parking lot.
Get out and play, using all tees, disc golf doesn't have to be perfect just roll with it and adjust to your footing and surroundings. If you want perfect teepads play Central Park in Brooklyn Park, MN. If you want a fun, difficult, with the option to be longer with alt tees, semi-rustic course then play Somerset DGC

New Course

5+    9/7/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: E_Rock25
This review was updated on 8/18/2011
Pros: This course is very fun and my home course. It has eight cement pads and nine gravel pads Good use of the available elevation. Wooded holes and open holes. Blind holes and strait holes. Quick and not crowded. Good hole placement. Brand new course close to where I live. I am helping with running the league this year and making course improvements. The trash & recycling cans are in. We are currently making alternate pad & pin placements. We have long pads on holes 1-7 and will have 8&9 done soon. Alt pin placements on hole 2-4 and on 6 & 8 more to come.

COURSE DISCRIPTION!
HOLE #1, Short CEMENT/ Long GRAVEL
We start out in a mostly open feild. There are two places to play this hole from. You can start in the pine trees which is elevated and farther back than the normal tee pad. I like playing from up here because it adds some length. Throw a big hyzer around a bushy pin tree on the right "don't hit the tree its thick and hard to get discs out of". The problem with this shot is you have to throw over the parking lot so make it count. The only real obsticals are the two pine trees one on the right and one on the left that gards the pin. A good first toss and you have a chance at two here.

HOLE #2, Short CEMENT/ Long GRAVEL
You have a choice here hyzer around another big pine tree and over the nabors R.V. or I like to through a forehand s starting left going right and coming back left on the fade. You do want to be on the right hand side of the fairway here because there is another bushy pine blocking the basket from the left. This is a very hard bridie but it can be done. Alt pin is 35' deeper and to the right.

HOLE #3, Short GRAVEL/ Long CEMENT
This is the longest hole on the course. I don't have hole mesuments yet but it must be close to 500ft. Big hyzer then slightly uphill to the pin. You want to be in the fairway here because the grass is tall on both sides especially the right. Alt pin is to the right up the hill in the clump of trees. Makes this hole much harder and a bit longer.

HOLE #4 Short CEMENT
This hole introduces us to the woods in a great way. Its a downhill anhyzer and its thickly wooded. It will take great accuracy to avoid the trees but it is aceable for sure. This is one of my favorite holes. They might clear it out a little more and I can't decide if that is good or bad. Alt pin is 50'/60' farther and to the right makes for a hard birdie.

HOLE #5 Short GRAVEL/ Long GRAVEL
Short uphill hyzer to a blind pin. This fairway is tight and the woods are thick on both sides. This is another aceable hole. The long pad adds about 100' to this hole and make a par a nice score. The fairway needs a bit of clearing still.

HOLE #6 Short GRAVEL/ Long GRAVEL
This is another fun one! Blind hyzer through a little vally. Long pad make you shape your shot much more. From the long the fairway has a bit of an S to it. The fairway is tight off the tee but opens up after about 50ft. The pin is on the left hillside and you will almost always have an interesting putt here. The alt pin is about 50ft longer and tucked up on top of the hill. We need to do a lot of work on this hole because of drainage problems. I think we are going to put in a pond for all the run off. It is aceable again as are most of the wooded hole but it would be a hard one that you would hear not see, man it feels good to ace this one.

HOLE #7 Short CEMENT/ Lon GRAVEL
Uphill anhyzer with another real tight fairway. Great for forehand throwers. If you make it up the hill without hitting a tree you got a chance at an ace again. Long pad is very tight and makes this hole a very hard two. I have landed right under the basket on this one a few times. The pin is blind from the tee again which I like alot. Super fun short hole.

HOLE #8, Short CEMENT
Anhyzer out of the woods to the water tower. This hole is fun because you can throw a hard turning anhyzer straight past a big oak on the right. Or there is a little hole throught the trees that gives you a straighter shot at the pin. This one turns hard and if you go to far right at the end you will be in some thick woods. The alt pin placement is an even harder turn tucked back in the woods 30' behind the A pin position. Need to clear more room for the alt pin green. If you over throw this one there is a big wooded downhill slope that will make finding discs hard also. I think a few are lost down there if you want to look!

HOLE #9, Short CEMENT
Can you say signature! Down hill shot with a protected pin that is set back in the woods. Not a really hard hole but it looks cool and you have lots of throwing options. Keep an eye on your disc though the woods are thick. The hill you throw off has to be about 200ft above the pin. It will take good control to get it close. An ace here would be awesome and is doable for sure.

HOLE #10 CEMENT
Big uphill hyzer teeing off in the woods. This one turns 90 degrees about 40ft. in front of the tee. Make sure you get that disc to turn or you will be in some tall grass. This hole is also deceptively so put some power on it.

Thats it! There are a few different ways to play the last three holes but im going to keep it to myself see if you can find a creative way to play them.
Cons: Pads are dirt on only 2 holes now. Wooded holes are kinda short but with the addition of the long tees and alt pin placements this is not much of a con anymore. It gets buggy in the mid summer and after a hard rain. We have some work to do on hole #6 and may be adding a pond to help with run off. The course can be very muddy at times and we are working on getting wood chips on all the paths to help with this problem.
Other Thoughts: I think this course is great and we will continue to improve upon it. I will definitely play this course weekly. Signage is going to be added. I think this is going to be an amazing course in the future and am very happy to be a part of the course improvements. This course is getting close to a 4 star IMO and I think it will be there by the end of the summer. If you have not tried this course yet you have to come check it out. It is only going to get better.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions let me know!!!