Bothell, WA
Howling Coyote DGC Share
Uploaded By: sillybizz Hole #2 (Taken 12/2010)
3 / 197ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Great Little Course!

2-4    6/4/2014   6/8/2014
Review By: TheMinnesotan
Pros: This course is very clean! The layout makes great use of the space and creates opportunities for different shot types.

The course can be played very quickly. Great for a quick round, or can be played through multiple times with relative ease.

This course is also pretty forgiving. This would be a great spot to bring a new player. The chances of losing a disc are not too high, so bumming a buddy a disc for his first round isn't too much of a gamble on your part!
Cons: The course is short... If you are looking for a spot to "Grip and Rip" this course isn't it. Only two or three holes actually require a full powered driver.

It is only 9 holes. Maybe it's just me, but I like playing at least 18 different holes in a round. But, there just doesn't seem to be space for more.
Other Thoughts: I like this course. Its only 9 holes, but I played it through 4 times on my first visit. I see this course as a great spot to work on finesse and midrange shots. The people I met while playing this course were very friendly and courteous. I do wish there were a few more spots to stretch out my drivers, but in reality the mid-short game is more important (IMO). After just moving to the area, this has become my new "home course."

Very nice park just across the river from Bothell

5+    5/1/2014   5/10/2014
Review By: 53Clubs
Pros: Very good beginner course.
Great variation in terrain and shots - uphill, downhill, right turn, left turn, open field, woods, holes with lots of obstacles, holes with a few well placed obstacles.
Great parking and facilities.
Golf basically does a circle around the outside of a nice family park - bring the family and everyone will be happy and occupied.
Cons: A couple of holes cross 'park accessible areas' - if there are people there, skip the hole and move on - please don't make enemies for golfers. You'll run into this about 20% of the time on #4 and maybe 5% of the time on #8.
The park can get crowded and sometimes on #3, even in exactly the shot you were looking for, a 3 year old will get excited by the flying disc, and come and get it, and you can spend 10 minutes chasing the disc and the kid around the playground (and possibly looking like a pedophile in the process - until you finally retrieve the disc, then everything is understood).
Only 9 holes and no alternate tees (really no good place for them either).
Short - you're not going to air out any drives here.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for casually playing on a sunny day. I expect it could get wet and possibly slippery/sloppy on 2, 5, 6, and 9 if it is or has been rainy. Really not conducive to 'intense play' - though if its grey out, you can probably get in several rounds without running into many people other than just players.
The first tee sits next to a picnic table. The table serves as a great meeting place and resting place for players between rounds and you'll almost always find someone else there to play, but hanging out at the first tee before or between rounds.
*A note on hole 7 - its a long downhill then across a field to the basket. Fun from the tee - DON'T OVER SHOOT IT! Its easy to catch a great glide and have the disc just float on a cushion of air all the way across the field until you start yelling "Come Down!... Please Come Down!" - when it doesn't, you are not nearly as frustrated as you become once you get down to look for it and find that the drop off behind the basket goes downhill to the river... deep,... dark,... slow river... gross, muddy, duck sanctuary of a river - reach into the bag for another driver and wipe the tear from your eye,... that was the last time you'll throw that disc.

A Fun Stomp Through the Woods

2-4    4/7/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: Udon
Pros: - Excellent use of obstacles without being too difficult for new players.
- Clean, well kept park
- Variety of shots needed to par/birdie many holes.
- Park goers are mostly out of the way of the course and are rarely threatened by errant discs
- Locals are friendly

Cons: - Tee pads can be full of puddles after a rain making almost half of them unusable.
- Lots of mud around some baskets and throughout the park; definitely a good idea to wear boots.
- Blyth park has enough space to have been a 18 hole course. There isn't really much options for a safari back 9 either.
Other Thoughts: Blyth Park is built around a watershed of the surrounding rivers. Because of this, it is notoriously muddy until about June when most of it dries up. Despite how wet it can be, I love this park and the DGC that is a part of it. The holes are well spaced, and it is challenging without being frustrating. This is a great course for a beginner to learn how to drive due to good use of trees as obstacles and the open fields several holes open up to. This one is going on my favorites list and I will be returning for many rounds in the near future.

Fun and quick 9 hole course

5+    10/18/2010   10/19/2010
Review By: b-mart
This review was updated on 6/15/2011
Pros: Brand new baskets. Wood bordered gravel tee pads. Not too crowded. Plays around the busy parts of the park rather than through it.
Cons: The gravel on the tee pads is already getting worn down and gouged. Some of the brush is still relatively thick (although it's getting trampled and cleared out with the exception of hole 9). Being a short, fast course, I find myself waiting on groups ahead of me when playing alone. This can be remedied by starting over or skipping hole 9 to play from 5 again.
Other Thoughts: Being a Bothell resident and a beginner (and being that I got my first ace on 6), I love this course. It's never too crowded (even when the park itself is packed), and most of the course is in the trees. I like technical courses way more than open ones (like Juel, which is a complete waste of acreage in my opinion), but I also prefer the trees because you can play in the rain without getting too wet or muddy. This is kind of like a beginner's version of Terrace, so it's a good warmup or lunch break course for any level of player. What's great about it is that it's still challenging to players who find this course a bit short, and a good place to improve your game. After playing here about 5 days a week, I find that other courses seem easier. Whoever designed this knew what they were doing. I usually bring brightly colored discs for holes 2, 5, 6, and 9. Although I have yet to lose a disc, I've found a few and have spent plenty of time searching for my favorite ones. The lines are tight back there in the woods, and if you go off a tree you might not be able to call this a "quick" course anymore. Or you could do what other reviewers have recommended, and bring a spotter. But be careful on 7. There are a lot of discs in the river, including one of mine.

Great little course

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: Ghost in the Darknes
Pros: Great use of the space. Some variation. Some holes you can see from the tee, some you cannot. Great elevation chance as well, especially hole 7 (I think).
Cons: Some holes I would recommend a spotter (Not exactly a con, just an observation). A little hard to locate the park. It is a multi-use park, so there were a lot of people bbq-ing and the such. As has already been noted, some improvements such as signs and concrete pads would be nice, but those will come as this park advances.
Other Thoughts: I tried hard to think of some cons for this park and honestly couldn't come up with many. I love that this area got another park because the only other park by my house is Juel Park, and frankly, that park sucks. It was a well designed course that I enjoyed playing and will play again anytime I come back to the Woodinville/Bothell region.