Columbus, GA
Flat Rock Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #11 (Taken 12/2010)
Hole #11 White Tee

Love this course

1    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: Mary G
Pros: My husband and I are older dg players. Love the game, though we aren't very good! We felt this course was well marked and offered a lot of variety.
Lots of benches
Bathrooms available at the beginning, and on the back nine
Cons: Crowded when we were there
820' for Hole 18 - really???

2-4    5/20/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: This course has a lot of different shots and uses every bit of the terrain. I would consider this a pretty long course and there's something for everyone from long bomber shots to technical hyzers through the trees.

The course is fairly well marked with next tee signs and directional arrows along with distances on every tee sign. I used a map the first time I played there and only got confused with hole placement once on the front 9. Lots of tucked baskets on the par 4's and 5's which makes you have to be accurate as well as risky sometimes if you want a chance at birdie.

The course is very well maintained and I would recommend it to anyone. It's not super beginner friendly just because you need to have control in order to score well, but if you are just going to have fun it's a great course to learn the game.

Cons: Every time I played there weren't very many people on the course which is nice, saw a lot of mountain bikers though and they tend to ride trails that are right in the fairway. Just look before you throw.
Other Thoughts: I really dig the design of this course, mainly because you're not playing the same shot hole after hole. The layout is much closer to a ball golf course in terms of mostly gettable par 3's, scattered short par 3's for birdie opportunities, and some par 4's and 5's for the big guns. I've played most of the courses in GA and I would rank this one up there with some of the better courses as far as layout and difficulty. The only thing that's really missing is better signage, mainly on the front 9 since it double backs at hole 5. Other than that I'd give this course a much higher ranking.

I love the use of terrain and that 80% of the course is in the shade so even on hot days you're not getting zapped by the sun.

Trees can be your friend or enemy!

5+    5/10/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: Usdrummer72
Pros: Variety of hole lengths and pars, up to 820 feet.
Very well keep park.
Lots of squirrels and birds.
Plenty of people in the area that present a feeling of a safe environment.
Scenic course.
Very wooded, but not overbearing.
People on the course were friendly and inviting.
Baskets were in good condition.
Convenient to my hotel.
Par seemed appropriate for length and difficulty of holes.
Variety of uphill and downhill shots
Cons: In south Georgia, so summer heat could get bad in afternoons.
Keep and eye out for a couple of Mandos on 6 and 10. I did not see the one on 10 until a local pointed it our after my drive.
Other Thoughts: Overall enjoyable atmosphere and a fun course to play.
One long downhill par 4 allowed me to be able to say I really have had a drive close to 400 feet!!

A gaggle of trees

2-4    4/7/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: Fistymcbuttpuncher
Pros:
-Parking was plentiful.
-Bathrooms were convienent.
-Plenty of trash cans and benches.
-Baskets were in good repair.
-People were friendly.
-Was easy to navigate the surrounding park and finding the disc golf course.
-Was mowed well enough.
-"Next tee" signs were visible and well placed(except for the one leading to hole 11's tee).
-Didn't get the "fear of being stabbed" I've had on other courses.
-Saw at least one police car patrol through the entire park so safety seems good.
Cons:
-Teepads are too short, can't get a full wind up on them and many are on an incline.
-Absolutely NO directional markings on the tee signs indicating where the basket is. My first round was very frustrating trying to determine where the pins were.
-Holes 11-15 are accross a road and there is NO indication of it.
-There was only a few holes that had a defined "fairway", nearly ALL of the holes were peppered with pine trees and no defined line through them. Many holes were just so confined by trees, a putter "lay up" from the tee is the only choice.
-Baskets are painted light green which blended in perfectly with the surrounding light green trees.
Drove 2 hours from Dothan AL to play here and threw 2 rounds. It wasn't a terrible course, but it wasn't great either. I've played courses in Iowa(6), South Carolina(4), and Florida(2) as a little background, in other words, I've seen a good bit of courses. This one isn't the worst one I've played, but far far from the best. Granted it was a bit easier in the second round, but the lack of defined fairways still put a damper on the course. I can handle narrow(20~ft wide) fairways, but it's kinda hard to play when your "fairway" is covered with moderately dense Pine trees. If I lived closer, like 10-20min away, I could look past the horrible tree layouts, but if you have to drive a fair distance to get to this course, you're better off finding a different one.

Sidenotes:
-The course is pretty open and without much cover to relax behind.
-Saw at least one police car patrol through the entire park.
-Only 4 holes over 400ft and one of those was 820ft. Most are under 300ft.

I miss this course

5+    1/12/2012   2/14/2012
Review By: barneco
Pros: Great diversity - some open holes, wooded holes...lots of flavor and you'll use every disc in your bag
Almost every hole has a variety of lines
Good variety of length
Good variety of directional shots
Bathrooms and water available
Beautiful surroundings
Great local community
Plenty of parking
Not crowded
Cons: Additional amenities would be nice: garbage cans, better signs with more accurate distances
A handful of pads need to be levelled
Plenty of room for additional tees
Not super close to other "destination" courses...out of towners haev to travel specifically for this course - but it's worth it!
Other Thoughts: This was my home course for over a year, when I first started playing the game. I held off on reviewing the course as a local. Now that I've moved and am no longer local, and now that I've had the opportunity to experience some other courses, I feel like I'm able to give a more unbiased opinion.

In short, the more courses I play, the more I realize how lucky Columbus is to have such a great course. This course isn't just great for the location, it's a fantastic course in its own right.

As it stands, the course has enough distance and variety to satisfy any player. I have 3 courses available to me now, and while each of them presents their own set of challenges, I quickly get bored with each of them individually. I have to vary where I play frequently or I get really bored with each of them. I played Flat Rock at least 5 times a week for over a year and I NEVER got bored with it.

The course shares some land with local MTB trails, but this is never an issue. Visibility is fine and DGers and MTBers get along fine. The sport is picking up and more and more newbies and families are on the course, but so far there is still plenty of room for everyone and rarely does it back up.

The local club(and some select locals...you know who you are!) is beginning to really take hold and bring some exposure to this course.

I currently live 2.5 hours away, but look for every opportunity to travel back and play Flat Rock. I've been gone for 4 months and still haven't quite gotten over the fact that I can't play this course any time I want. I cannot express how depressing this is.

If you're thinking about making a trip for this course, it's definitely worth it!

Some hole highlights:

#10 - double-mando, downhill ceiling shot - use a straight disc with some skip to get you through the mando and under the branches, and slide up to the basket
#5 - FH or flip a long blind righthand downhill shot around an small thicket. Flexing something in an S curve works as well.
#14 - short shot from hill to hill over a depression through some foliage. the basket taunts you through the gap. thread the needle and it can be an ace run...miss and it's often a tough up-and-down.
#18 - 800ft par 5 long drive and perfect approach(haven't gotten it yet!) will put you in position to eagle, but err slightly and you're working hard to get back on track and par

Wish I lived closer

1    12/13/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: New2Disc
Pros: FRP is what a disc golf coarse should be !!! Even though I'm a born again DG player ( started at the old Chastain Park Coarse in the late 70's ) My experience at FRP was nothing short of amazing. Starting with concrete T pads, well thought out fairways, and finishing with what has to be the best baskets I've ever heard !!! God had DG in mind when he made this piece of property, it's just perfect !!! This would be a great coarse to introduce a newbie to the game, because it's fair, and short, and long, and beautiful, and clean, and well thought out, and .......... well you get my point !!! I see this coarse as an all day coarse, meaning bring a picnik, and the family. There are laerge park grills that would make a great " home base " for the day !!! Personally I wouldn't touch a thing on this coarse, any new money and energy in the future, should go to a different coarse ( there seems to be plenty of land ) Maybe another 9 down by the lake ??? Anyway, if you live within 3 hours of this coarse, and haven't played it yet, Your missing a real jewel in the great state of Georgia !!!
Cons: The only cons I can think of would be no flight path signs at the tee pads, they would be a big help for first time players. And at some tee pads, a player can see more than one basket, maybe a few well placed and planted leyland cypress trees to block the view of the baskets not in play would help ??? Short of those improvements, I say leave it alone, it's almost perfect !!!
Other Thoughts: This coarse could host, ( if it hasn't already ) world class tournaments !!! Especially, if another 9 or 18 were to be added, with the same standards of the org coarse !!!

Fantastic Discovery by Columbus

1    10/25/2011   10/26/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Flat Rock DGC is a course to remember. The park entrance displays the outcropping that the course is named for. As the course takes you deeper into the park the changing terrain offers one great hole after another. Large trees and mostly grassy fairways cover the hillsides, providing lefts and rights mixed into elevation changes up and downhill. Even the short holes are made tricky by the elevation and trees dictating flight paths. A couple of mandos out there, I especially like number 10, using two trees about 25 feet apart, and 100 feet down hill from the tee. Also liked number 12, 420 feet downhill, where the right line can take you all the way down to the pin. There are decent tee pads and signs, cool neon green baskets, and arrows to direct you to the next hole. Bathrooms and trash cans are on site.
Cons: The tees are dirt, but mostly level and roomy. They all have signs with distances, but no map. This leaves room for improvement. Occasionally another park user may wander through your path, but nothing to inconvenient on our visit. Hole number 7 is a target heavily guarded by trees, good luck on that one.
Other Thoughts: Flat Rock DGC is one of the best in GA for sure. I repeat this in so many reviews, but after 18 holes I instantly wished I had more time for disc golfing here. The park is a perfect setting for a course, and the designers did a wonderful job laying it out. It is on my list of favorites now, and I would encourage you to check it out for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Georgia's Hidden Gem

5+    9/9/2011   10/14/2011
Review By: BGlenn
Pros: I absolutely love playing this course. It's replay value is insanely high. It seems to me like the more that I play it the more I want to come back to play it. I would definitely put this course in the top five in Georgia, perhaps even in second coming in after Flyboy.

Another big pro to me are the baskets. I LOVE these baskets. For starters, they're neon green, which makes them very easy to see, especially since the tee signs don't give much information. And secondly, they catch very well, much better than discatchers in my opinion.

This course will utilize every shot in your bag. And when I say every shot, I mean it. Most holes have multiple lines you can take depending on whether you want to throw a FH or a BH.

Another big pro to me is the fact that it makes great use of the natural elevation in the park. This one factor to can sometimes make or break a course for me.
Cons: Not too many cons, but I can list a few.

- Navigation could be a bit iffy for non-locals, but there are always nexTee signs to point you in the direction.
- Also, the tee signs definitely need replaced, which hopefully is going to happen soon.
- Hole 7 - Seems to me to be a pure luck hole. Definitely no specific line that you're supposed to hit, just have to get lucky and weave through the trees.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played when I first started playing. It definitely tore me up, but it wasn't the course's fault. It made me want to keep playing to the point where I could hit the lines that were there, and feel accomplished when I got done. This is my personal favorite course that I've played besides Flyboy, and it is definitely worth a drive if you live within a few hours of the area. It will be worth your time.

Who does #2 work for?

1    9/17/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Absolutely gorgeous terrain, you probably couldn't do much better if you spent the month searching out land specifically for a course.
Nice baskets, easy to see which is good because the signs don't tell you anything.
Nice vareity of holes, this is not a course where everything is "up there to the left". The course also plays through 3-4 different types of land so not only do you have different kinds of holes but you have different kinds of challenges to go with it.
Decent tee pads, not huge but I didn't find them lacking.
Several bathrooms along the way.
Next Tee signs point you in the right direction.
Cons: Signs are kind of generic and it seems like the distance might have been measured in various ways because some seem long, others maybe a little short.
Mountain bike trails in the fairways of a couple holes. I didn't notice them and they weren't an issue when we played but you could seriously clock a dude if the stars aligned right.
Hole 7 is a little poke and prayish
Other Thoughts: This is easily the 2nd best course in GA next to Flyboy in my opinion. It has these characteristics that solidify that in my mind:

1) The scenery is ridiculously beautiful
2) The park is clean even though it is a very old park
3) The course has a bit of everything from tricky birdie runs to holes you are happy to 4.
4) It is the kind of course that will make you get better and teach you strategy.

This is the kind of park that will make me drive through Atlanta and down the most boring stretch of road on earth to play. This is the kind of park that I will visit the inlaws to play...do I need to say more?

If you are looking for a fun, 95% fair, interesting, beautiful, fulfilling round in a large park with a lot of elevation that won't wear you out then the FRP should be your choice if you are within 150mi of the joint.

Solid Course

2-4    5/15/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: johndhjr71
Pros: Great Park. Nice layout and very challenging holes.
Cons: Need updated Tee Signs with a description of the holes. We had a hard time finding the basket on several holes or were confused about which basket was in play. Out of bounds markers would be great to if there is OB. Watch out for mountain bikers as the trails run in and out of the course. The course has a good flow but if I weren't with someone who had been here before I would have gotten lost a few times.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course and with some small improvements will be a real gem. Update the Tee-signs with a picture of the hole. Add additional directional signs to help steer players through the course.