Columbus, GA
Flat Rock Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #12 (Taken 12/2010)

Trees can be your friend or enemy!

5+    5/10/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: Usdrummer72
Pros: Variety of hole lengths and pars, up to 820 feet.
Very well keep park.
Lots of squirrels and birds.
Plenty of people in the area that present a feeling of a safe environment.
Scenic course.
Very wooded, but not overbearing.
People on the course were friendly and inviting.
Baskets were in good condition.
Convenient to my hotel.
Par seemed appropriate for length and difficulty of holes.
Variety of uphill and downhill shots
Cons: In south Georgia, so summer heat could get bad in afternoons.
Keep and eye out for a couple of Mandos on 6 and 10. I did not see the one on 10 until a local pointed it our after my drive.
Other Thoughts: Overall enjoyable atmosphere and a fun course to play.
One long downhill par 4 allowed me to be able to say I really have had a drive close to 400 feet!!

A gaggle of trees

2-4    4/7/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: Fistymcbuttpuncher
Pros:
-Parking was plentiful.
-Bathrooms were convienent.
-Plenty of trash cans and benches.
-Baskets were in good repair.
-People were friendly.
-Was easy to navigate the surrounding park and finding the disc golf course.
-Was mowed well enough.
-"Next tee" signs were visible and well placed(except for the one leading to hole 11's tee).
-Didn't get the "fear of being stabbed" I've had on other courses.
-Saw at least one police car patrol through the entire park so safety seems good.
Cons:
-Teepads are too short, can't get a full wind up on them and many are on an incline.
-Absolutely NO directional markings on the tee signs indicating where the basket is. My first round was very frustrating trying to determine where the pins were.
-Holes 11-15 are accross a road and there is NO indication of it.
-There was only a few holes that had a defined "fairway", nearly ALL of the holes were peppered with pine trees and no defined line through them. Many holes were just so confined by trees, a putter "lay up" from the tee is the only choice.
-Baskets are painted light green which blended in perfectly with the surrounding light green trees.
Drove 2 hours from Dothan AL to play here and threw 2 rounds. It wasn't a terrible course, but it wasn't great either. I've played courses in Iowa(6), South Carolina(4), and Florida(2) as a little background, in other words, I've seen a good bit of courses. This one isn't the worst one I've played, but far far from the best. Granted it was a bit easier in the second round, but the lack of defined fairways still put a damper on the course. I can handle narrow(20~ft wide) fairways, but it's kinda hard to play when your "fairway" is covered with moderately dense Pine trees. If I lived closer, like 10-20min away, I could look past the horrible tree layouts, but if you have to drive a fair distance to get to this course, you're better off finding a different one.

Sidenotes:
-The course is pretty open and without much cover to relax behind.
-Saw at least one police car patrol through the entire park.
-Only 4 holes over 400ft and one of those was 820ft. Most are under 300ft.

I miss this course

5+    1/12/2012   2/14/2012
Review By: barneco
Pros: Great diversity - some open holes, wooded holes...lots of flavor and you'll use every disc in your bag
Almost every hole has a variety of lines
Good variety of length
Good variety of directional shots
Bathrooms and water available
Beautiful surroundings
Great local community
Plenty of parking
Not crowded
Cons: Additional amenities would be nice: garbage cans, better signs with more accurate distances
A handful of pads need to be levelled
Plenty of room for additional tees
Not super close to other "destination" courses...out of towners haev to travel specifically for this course - but it's worth it!
Other Thoughts: This was my home course for over a year, when I first started playing the game. I held off on reviewing the course as a local. Now that I've moved and am no longer local, and now that I've had the opportunity to experience some other courses, I feel like I'm able to give a more unbiased opinion.

In short, the more courses I play, the more I realize how lucky Columbus is to have such a great course. This course isn't just great for the location, it's a fantastic course in its own right.

As it stands, the course has enough distance and variety to satisfy any player. I have 3 courses available to me now, and while each of them presents their own set of challenges, I quickly get bored with each of them individually. I have to vary where I play frequently or I get really bored with each of them. I played Flat Rock at least 5 times a week for over a year and I NEVER got bored with it.

The course shares some land with local MTB trails, but this is never an issue. Visibility is fine and DGers and MTBers get along fine. The sport is picking up and more and more newbies and families are on the course, but so far there is still plenty of room for everyone and rarely does it back up.

The local club(and some select locals...you know who you are!) is beginning to really take hold and bring some exposure to this course.

I currently live 2.5 hours away, but look for every opportunity to travel back and play Flat Rock. I've been gone for 4 months and still haven't quite gotten over the fact that I can't play this course any time I want. I cannot express how depressing this is.

If you're thinking about making a trip for this course, it's definitely worth it!

Some hole highlights:

#10 - double-mando, downhill ceiling shot - use a straight disc with some skip to get you through the mando and under the branches, and slide up to the basket
#5 - FH or flip a long blind righthand downhill shot around an small thicket. Flexing something in an S curve works as well.
#14 - short shot from hill to hill over a depression through some foliage. the basket taunts you through the gap. thread the needle and it can be an ace run...miss and it's often a tough up-and-down.
#18 - 800ft par 5 long drive and perfect approach(haven't gotten it yet!) will put you in position to eagle, but err slightly and you're working hard to get back on track and par

Wish I lived closer

1    12/13/2011   12/14/2011
Review By: New2Disc
Pros: FRP is what a disc golf coarse should be !!! Even though I'm a born again DG player ( started at the old Chastain Park Coarse in the late 70's ) My experience at FRP was nothing short of amazing. Starting with concrete T pads, well thought out fairways, and finishing with what has to be the best baskets I've ever heard !!! God had DG in mind when he made this piece of property, it's just perfect !!! This would be a great coarse to introduce a newbie to the game, because it's fair, and short, and long, and beautiful, and clean, and well thought out, and .......... well you get my point !!! I see this coarse as an all day coarse, meaning bring a picnik, and the family. There are laerge park grills that would make a great " home base " for the day !!! Personally I wouldn't touch a thing on this coarse, any new money and energy in the future, should go to a different coarse ( there seems to be plenty of land ) Maybe another 9 down by the lake ??? Anyway, if you live within 3 hours of this coarse, and haven't played it yet, Your missing a real jewel in the great state of Georgia !!!
Cons: The only cons I can think of would be no flight path signs at the tee pads, they would be a big help for first time players. And at some tee pads, a player can see more than one basket, maybe a few well placed and planted leyland cypress trees to block the view of the baskets not in play would help ??? Short of those improvements, I say leave it alone, it's almost perfect !!!
Other Thoughts: This coarse could host, ( if it hasn't already ) world class tournaments !!! Especially, if another 9 or 18 were to be added, with the same standards of the org coarse !!!

Fantastic Discovery by Columbus

1    10/25/2011   10/26/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Flat Rock DGC is a course to remember. The park entrance displays the outcropping that the course is named for. As the course takes you deeper into the park the changing terrain offers one great hole after another. Large trees and mostly grassy fairways cover the hillsides, providing lefts and rights mixed into elevation changes up and downhill. Even the short holes are made tricky by the elevation and trees dictating flight paths. A couple of mandos out there, I especially like number 10, using two trees about 25 feet apart, and 100 feet down hill from the tee. Also liked number 12, 420 feet downhill, where the right line can take you all the way down to the pin. There are decent tee pads and signs, cool neon green baskets, and arrows to direct you to the next hole. Bathrooms and trash cans are on site.
Cons: The tees are dirt, but mostly level and roomy. They all have signs with distances, but no map. This leaves room for improvement. Occasionally another park user may wander through your path, but nothing to inconvenient on our visit. Hole number 7 is a target heavily guarded by trees, good luck on that one.
Other Thoughts: Flat Rock DGC is one of the best in GA for sure. I repeat this in so many reviews, but after 18 holes I instantly wished I had more time for disc golfing here. The park is a perfect setting for a course, and the designers did a wonderful job laying it out. It is on my list of favorites now, and I would encourage you to check it out for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Georgia's Hidden Gem

5+    9/9/2011   10/14/2011
Review By: BGlenn
Pros: I absolutely love playing this course. It's replay value is insanely high. It seems to me like the more that I play it the more I want to come back to play it. I would definitely put this course in the top five in Georgia, perhaps even in second coming in after Flyboy.

Another big pro to me are the baskets. I LOVE these baskets. For starters, they're neon green, which makes them very easy to see, especially since the tee signs don't give much information. And secondly, they catch very well, much better than discatchers in my opinion.

This course will utilize every shot in your bag. And when I say every shot, I mean it. Most holes have multiple lines you can take depending on whether you want to throw a FH or a BH.

Another big pro to me is the fact that it makes great use of the natural elevation in the park. This one factor to can sometimes make or break a course for me.
Cons: Not too many cons, but I can list a few.

- Navigation could be a bit iffy for non-locals, but there are always nexTee signs to point you in the direction.
- Also, the tee signs definitely need replaced, which hopefully is going to happen soon.
- Hole 7 - Seems to me to be a pure luck hole. Definitely no specific line that you're supposed to hit, just have to get lucky and weave through the trees.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played when I first started playing. It definitely tore me up, but it wasn't the course's fault. It made me want to keep playing to the point where I could hit the lines that were there, and feel accomplished when I got done. This is my personal favorite course that I've played besides Flyboy, and it is definitely worth a drive if you live within a few hours of the area. It will be worth your time.

Who does #2 work for?

1    9/17/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Absolutely gorgeous terrain, you probably couldn't do much better if you spent the month searching out land specifically for a course.
Nice baskets, easy to see which is good because the signs don't tell you anything.
Nice vareity of holes, this is not a course where everything is "up there to the left". The course also plays through 3-4 different types of land so not only do you have different kinds of holes but you have different kinds of challenges to go with it.
Decent tee pads, not huge but I didn't find them lacking.
Several bathrooms along the way.
Next Tee signs point you in the right direction.
Cons: Signs are kind of generic and it seems like the distance might have been measured in various ways because some seem long, others maybe a little short.
Mountain bike trails in the fairways of a couple holes. I didn't notice them and they weren't an issue when we played but you could seriously clock a dude if the stars aligned right.
Hole 7 is a little poke and prayish
Other Thoughts: This is easily the 2nd best course in GA next to Flyboy in my opinion. It has these characteristics that solidify that in my mind:

1) The scenery is ridiculously beautiful
2) The park is clean even though it is a very old park
3) The course has a bit of everything from tricky birdie runs to holes you are happy to 4.
4) It is the kind of course that will make you get better and teach you strategy.

This is the kind of park that will make me drive through Atlanta and down the most boring stretch of road on earth to play. This is the kind of park that I will visit the inlaws to play...do I need to say more?

If you are looking for a fun, 95% fair, interesting, beautiful, fulfilling round in a large park with a lot of elevation that won't wear you out then the FRP should be your choice if you are within 150mi of the joint.

Solid Course

2-4    5/15/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: johndhjr71
Pros: Great Park. Nice layout and very challenging holes.
Cons: Need updated Tee Signs with a description of the holes. We had a hard time finding the basket on several holes or were confused about which basket was in play. Out of bounds markers would be great to if there is OB. Watch out for mountain bikers as the trails run in and out of the course. The course has a good flow but if I weren't with someone who had been here before I would have gotten lost a few times.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course and with some small improvements will be a real gem. Update the Tee-signs with a picture of the hole. Add additional directional signs to help steer players through the course.

flat rock ROCKS!

5+    2/27/2011   3/3/2011
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/29/2012
Pros: -very large, beautiful park with hundreds of mature pines
-well thought out design, uses terrain very well
-tons of really fun and signature holes
-bright yellow baskets, easily visible and well-thought pin placements
-3 sets of tees: red and blue stakes, concrete for the whites in between
-nice tee signs with distances and "Next Tee" signs throughout
-great elevation changes, very well utilized
-distance variety (though on the smaller side) and great hole variety
-large parking area
-easy to find, close to route 80
-very friendly locals! sunday morning minis at 10am
Cons: Not much to say here, this place is well designed, well finished and gorgeous. My only complaint is that the 3 different par 4's are on the easier side but there are significant trees with which to contend. Oh, and also the two concrete pads I mention below.

Multiple basket locations would be great but another reviewer claims they are on the way. Concrete or some other upgrade to the other tees could really help too. Add another 9 holes with some legit par 4's and find a way to incorporate the lake and this course could be rated even higher. The land is there to do it, so it seems.
Other Thoughts: This course is set in a beautiful park with a unique atmosphere and some very cool rocks buried in the terrain, hence the name. Mature pines are everywhere and the course flows very well throughout several areas of the park. There are a couple tricky navigation spots but there are "Next Tee" signs throughout the course.

The front 9 has a number of more open shots before things start to get a bit tighter and quite dense on the back 9. The open shots tend to have great pin placements offering a bit of challenge for upshots and putts. There are a wide variety of elevation changes and four areas in particular that have drastic elevation changes: the short but sharp uphill shot on hole 1, the hillside with 9, 10 (downhill with a cool double-mando), 16, & 17, the totally awesome signature downhill bomb on 12 and the equally cool over-the-gap shot on 14.

There is also a wide variety in hole length and shape with a good balance of lefty v. righty holes and an equal number where left or right you just need to find a route through the trees! A turnover shot is well rewarded on 4, 7, 15 & 17 and a big hyzer is the order for 2 & 12. The vast number of trees means that even with 8 holes under 300' and 12 under 350', the shorter distances still make for some challenging par 3's if you don't hit your lines and/or hit a tree. There are also 4 over 400' and the final hole is a 820' monster that takes you right back to the parking lot.

As far as the trimmings go, the baskets are brightly colored, easy to see from the tee and in great condition. Three sets of tees and the middle tees are well-sized concrete, though numbers 6 and 18 in particular are not flat and a little short considering those are the 2 longest holes on the course. A rare oversight on this course. There are numerous benches, trash cans and "Next Tee" signs throughout, a couple little bridges and though I didn't check, it looked like there was a building with bathrooms on the way in the park.

I really enjoyed playing here and would definitely recommend it to anyone nearby or passing through the area. Worth going out of the way for this one. The course seems to be very well kept and the locals were quite friendly. Several different groups said hi and told me about the Sunday morning minis, random dubs.

As I said above, I really think this course could be a 4.5 with a few improvements. There are just a few quibbles and it is a little lacking in general distance. But that's just nitpicking: It's got a great atmosphere, a wonderful varied terrain and lots of challenging and signature holes. The land looks to have the potential to take this course to the next level and the local club seems to have the initiative or at least a strong start. I wish this was my home course!

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

GREAT COURSE

1    12/19/2010   12/19/2010
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: MORE LIKE A 4.3 rating!

Concrete pads
BRIGHT yellow baskets
well thought out layout
a HUGE park
good flow to the course
room to improve it
great local club

This course was a lot of fun and a lot better then I anticipated it to be. The park is beautiful and the course is a lot of fun. I played with two loacals, one of the guys helped design the course. He said better signs and alternate anchors for baskets are on the way very soon. This park is great for disc golf and a lot of fun, good mix of longer shots, technical shots and elevation. great job guys.
Cons: Some of the shorter holes had throwing lanes that are not yet cleared out all the way.
Other Thoughts: Great course in a great town 2 hours SW of ATL!!!