Rhinelander, WI
Almon Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: matrathvy Hole #6 (Taken 9/2010)
-- / --   4 / 387ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Approach

Nice technical short course

1    5/31/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: DiscgolfZen
Pros: Nice short technical lines, very easy to par yet you have to be accurate.
Cons: Mosquitoes, tees near baskets perhaps a safety issue, mosquitoes!
Other Thoughts: It was fun to play, really just need a putter and maybe a mid, great accuracy course.

Bring plenty of bug spray if close to recent rainfall.

2-4    4/17/2013   5/9/2013
Review By: shay swim
Pros: lots of challenges being in the woods baskets are ez to see a couple of open holes
Cons: if ur ambitous about disking like me and my friends we go as soon as we can and if u dnt wait long enough the water from the snow melting in spring makes the majority of the course VERY wet, a few of the holes are overlapping or pointing right at one another so u have to be-careful if playing a hole behind or in-front of some1
Other Thoughts: havent seen many garbage cans and a few more benches would be nice for when ur haveing to wait for a group to finish a hole

Mounds and Almon Joy

1    11/2/2012   11/12/2012
Pros: 1) Nice yellow banded Discatchers which is always appreciated in the woods. It is so much easier to see these than other manufacturers baskets.
2) Simple but efficient and effective signs. Par Distance and a line. It is about all you need on this course since you can virtually see each baskets or they are short enough to know the required shot.
3) Nice use of woodchips on this course. It helps the heavily trafficked areas and keeps the mud to a minimum.
4) Decent mix of some moderately wooded with heavily wooded, probably my favorite mix of holes on a course since I prefer trees on every hole.
5) Excellent variety of shot selection on this course. I hate it when every shot feels the same.
6) The concrete tees are small (not necessarily a negative on this short course) but grippy and done well. I always appreciate concrete over dirt and this course would be a nightmare if there wasn;t something solid for a tee area.
7) A few garbage cans help to keep the course clean.
8) Very beginner friendly because of the distance. One bad shot per hole will still get you a lot of 3's, but good shots reward you with a bunch of 2's and two bad shots will leave you with a 4 for sure. Not frustrating enough to deter beginners.
9) Nice concrete tees in the woods.
10) Extremely quick rounds can be played here. I am all about speed golf when I am just out to enjoy my time. I played two discs simultaneously while I played behind a 3-some who had just gotten off work. They were drinking beers and enjoying their time and I caught up to them on almost every hole playing two discs all the way through. I think I played in under an hour . . . had no one been in my way and I was playing 1 disc . . . I am thinking 35-45 minutes tops. I love courses like that.
11) Small kiosk with an overhead of the course.
12) Signs in the park directing you to the disc golf . . . always a positive since disc golf is often an afterthought.
Cons: 1) The concrete tees are a little small for my liking, but not the end of the world.
2) A couple of strange walks to the next hole . . . also discussed in some of the danger issues on the course.
3) There are a couple of danger areas where multiple holes are brought into play by other holes. There are also a lot of trees on this course which could easily kick an already errant throw further into another fairway or near a green or tee.
4) There is a long walk back to the parking lot from #18 to the parking lot or #1. Not the end of the world if you enjoy walking in the woods, but it is worth noting. I can see how it would have been hard to avoid however because of how the holes needed to be laid out around the wetland area.
5) Distance variation is minimal with about a 50-50 split of 100's and 200's. There is one over 300' but I would be happier with a 33-33-33 split. "Variety is the spice of life" . . . I think Dr. Phil said that.
6) Beer cans are the only garbage I found on the course . . . which is even more frustrating to think it is just the drunk people leaving the garbage behind. Either carry it out or don't drink it is what I would say.
Other Thoughts: This is simply one of my favorite types of courses. It is short, it is beginner friendly, it is fun to throw, it still challenges you at times, and it is 100% wooded. There isn't a single hole with nothing to avoid. I cannot stand a course with wide open holes and no obstacles. Sure that challenges you to execute your favorite lines, but it just is not fun.
For you Milwaukee readers this is like Valley View but 100% in the woods and minimal buckthorn or honeysuckle. It is a lot of fun to throw and challenges you at the same time. Execute execute execute!

This course isn't quite a 3.50 disc course but I cannot give it a 3.0 because I enjoyed myself so much here. I would sayd it is a solid 3.25 course so I went with the higher rating.

for a park area

1    5/23/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: sunnya527
Pros: Nice wooded area and baskets are hidden giving a bit of a challenge. After a few times around seems the baskets are a bit short.
Cons: Not Much for signs or simple things like trash areas and long way to a restroom. LOTS of mosquitoes with being in woods near swamp.
Other Thoughts: It is a Park... go to an area like Jack Lake and they treat disc golf like it is important with practice area and separate area's for experienced vs novice.

A fun course very close to Treehaven

1    0/0/0000   7/15/2011
Review By: Dr Derek
This review was updated on 12/27/2011
Pros: Signs direct you to the disc golf parking lot coming into the park and to hole #1. The fairways are smooth and well kept by the parks department. Plenty of ace runs and birdie ops through some modestly wooded fairways. Overall this is a fun (albeit short) course that can be played relatively quickly, and is a great course for beginners or folks passing through for a quick stop.

The new cement pads are in, a great improvement.
Cons: Mosquitos can get thick in the summer months.
Other Thoughts: This course is only 15 minutes from the Treehaven Disc Golf Course near Tomahawk, and so it would be easy to play both in a day, or you could probably play each one twice in a day if you pack a lunch and keep moving. If you're heading north on Hwy 39-51, play Treehaven first and then Almon, vice versa if you're heading south on Hwy 39/51.

Nice addition to Northern WI DG

2-4    9/5/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: koogs
This review was updated on 9/6/2011
Pros: As you turn into the park, there are signs directing you to the course, to hole 1, and to hole 9, very visible. The welcome board has an overview of the course and a very nice map/ scorecard/rules pamphlet. I never even looked at the map, though, because the navigation of the course was simple. It was mostly a case of following the wood chips from basket to next tee. At tee 9, there's a sign pointing to restrooms (and parking lot), just a short walk down the road, a good time for a break. The course itself has great variety. Some long doglegs, short doglegs, dead straight shots, long curves, a couple double curves, a couple ace chances, almost even between left and right finishing holes. The entire course had a nice flow to it.
Cons: The course is almost totally flat, only a small hill to throw down on hole 2 and a small hill to throw over on hole 4. The tees are wood chips, which is obviously not the best option, but they weren't bad. I can honestly say that I didn't have any problems teeing off, but I use only a 2 step throw. Anyone with a longer runup might have more problems. This is a very short course overall. 8 holes are 200' or less, and only 1 over 300'. When someone of my ability gets 8 birdies on a course, you know there are too many short holes. But I did get my first ace though, so that made me happy. Hole 12---145', straight.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course a lot. I don't have a big arm, so the short distances were to my liking. Players with bigger arms and more skills will probably think this course is not challenging enough overall. Some of the issues that Superberry had with this course have been rectified. Very clear signage as you enter the park, tee signs are now up, the tee areas have been filled with chips. I'm in this area pretty often and I will play this course again. This is a nice addition to Northern Wisconsin DG. I'll give it 3 discs because of the tees, better tees would get a 3.5. UPDATE on 9/6/2011---Concrete teepads are in on all holes. They could be longer, but this is a big improvement over wood chips. I bumped my rating to 3.5 because of this.

Nice Northwoods Retreat

1    11/2/2010   11/4/2010
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 10/21/2013
Pros: Quiet and peaceful park. Nearly 100% wooded (maybe 8-10 aren't under a canopy).
Hole #2 has a beautiful design. You throw out and over a ridge that slopes downward toward the pin. A few trees mid-fairway dictate accuracy. Then the ridge slopes back upward toward the pin and the pin is on a slight slope with more drastic slope off the left side. It's probably the second longest hole and is very picturesque (not is nice as one of the last holes at Jack Lake though - I talked about it in my review).
A neat OB kind of marsh that can come into play on #4 and 5.
Hole #6 is a nice long hole that requires excellent shot selection to bend around a clump of trees that juts out from the right edge of the fairway, while a row a dense trees blocks the left edge close to the tee to keep you from drawing out a RHBH anny.
Hole #7 has a great tee 'framed' under a canopy of low pin branches.
Hole #14 has an excellent guarded green with trees all around.
Hole #15 requires good shot execution, similar to the flight path of #6, but not as long and all under the trees.
Nice DISCatchers! The yellow bands are great for wooded courses and they catch very well.
Cons: Tees are unimproved and undeveloped right now. They are like Jack Lake, but at least they have stakes at the front edge to define a tee area. Even if that tee area is sloped, lumpy, rooted, or full of stumps. Some of the tees just plain suck!
Just one tee. A second tee would add some needed distance (or reduce some for the ams).
Tee signs, or lack of. There is no depiction of the hole, no distance, nothing. Just a 4x4 post in the ground, and with one tee only, sometimes the direction you need to throw may not be obvious without walking down the fairway. Fortunately the lengths are short.
Not having distance marked on a wooded course bugs me. All the trees and branches throw off my depth perception and greatly impacts my shot selection. I found myself blowing past pins with mids (which speaks of the short distance of this course too).
Just one pin placement. None of the greens are very risky at all, although many are well protected by trees. I did look around a 50' radius of most pins and saw lots of opportunity for risky alternate pin placements on slopes, mounds, near water/marsh, etc.
Hole 18 does not finish near Hole 1. It's not too far away though.
Hole #2 tee is awful. There is a big stump and thick roots!
Hole #14 tee is sloped bad and poorly positioned.
Hole 12, 13, 14 are very short and not entirely tight.
Other Thoughts: Navigation to the course is bad. I tried to update the directions. Mostly, the sign at the entrance does not say Buck Lake, it says something like Alman Reccreation Area - Oneida County Parks. Then, once you pull in there, you'll see pin 17 immediately on your right, but hole #1 starts way back by the hiking trails. But, the drive in off Hwy G on Hixon Lake LANE is a awesome gravel road through the trees. It will get your heart pumping. It is a fun, quiet, and peaceful time. Don't expect Buck Lake to come into play though! The course is very short, even considering that fairways are narrow and pinballish. The layout does not appear like any additional longer tees will be incorporated, hopefully something will be done to the existing tees. Seriously, shovel them out to level, cut out roots, and just install some crusher dust (road base). This is my advice to all up and coming courses. The road base is an excellent surface once compacted, and is very cheap! All in all, it's a 100% wooded course, in a remote area, that is quiet, scenic and beautiful. Considering Jack Lake, Treehaven, and Black Bear Creek are all the same type of courses (solid 3-disc mainly wooded courses), you could make a trip out of these 4 to make it worth your while. IMO this course is more beautiful than Treehaven given the mix of woods and brush present, it is not as varied as Jack Lake, and is not as unique and fun as Black Bear Creek.

5+    9/20/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: danokony28
Pros: good creativity... some narrow holes and a few open... baskets are brand new and very nice..
Cons: pretty short overall... still looks like it under construction... also there is black top that comes into play on a few holes... no maps hard to find some holes... no garbage can or anything... no elevation change.. only one set of tees and pins
Other Thoughts: glad to have this in Rhinelander... overall a nice course.. cant wait till the cement pads are finished