Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #5 (Taken 2/2010)

my local course

5+    12/30/2012   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: A classic in disc golf, second course ever built , awesome course for RHBH , a result of it's age i suppose. Awesome locals , plenty of very friendly people to play with. Cool pro shop with Innova and legacy discs , Don't be afraid of ask them for advice either , they will offer it willingly. I absolutely love hole's 8 , 9 , 16 , 17 and 18 (I'm LHBH) Every other hole requires a challenging turnover or sidearm shot for me. Challenging shots on a few holes (15 comes to mind with the tree gap shot) .
Cons: Slippery rubber teepads , very RHBH oriented , wish there was more variety in the shots , can get pretty crowded as this is where MANY orange county people go on weekends , $1 fee on weekdays and $2 fee on weekends. Alot of "chuckers" come out here to act like douche's and clog up fairways, but any disc golfer is a good disc golfer.
Other Thoughts: Living 10-15 mins away has forced me to play this course often , but i love it for the challenge it brings LHBH people. I would definitely visit this course if you're in the beach cities as it is a classic and has alot to offer.

Historic Huntington Beach

5+    12/12/2012   12/12/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 2/25/2014
Pros: -2nd DG course ever built in the world, awesome sense of historicness
-3 practice putting baskets, awesome!
-challenging, wide variety of shots
-no super long holes, but many holes were ~300-350 ft
-there are short holes, but not without obstacles
-there's some OB, but minimal. And mandatories are clearly defined and keep the holes interesting
-some narrow gap shots
-treacherous cliff hanger baskets with "death roll" possibilities
-a couple of small uphill shots
-not free, but only $1 to play on weekdays and $2 on weekends
-friendly locals
Cons: -some holes don't have any signage
-despite friendly locals, i witnessed some one try to jack one of my guide's disk (more on this below)
-can be muddy
-intersecting holes, look around when you hear "FORE"...someone almost got pelted with a disc in my 2nd group. Also, I happened to throw in front of another hole's teepad and had to wait for everyone to finish teeing off before going for my shot.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course alot. Despite the reviews about negative crowds here, I beg to differ. I went 2 rounds; 1st round with one local and 2nd round with a group of people. Both were extremely nice, hospitable, and helpful (thanks Jesse, Sean, Alex, Mike, and Ryan). However I did see someone try to steal my 1st local guide's disk. We witnessed him pick up the disk, he tried to deny it, then forked it over after my guide pressed the issue (what a tool!). My first guide said most people are chill here, but every now and then there's shady folk to keep an eye out for. This course is not too technical, but its not easy either.

There are course maps, but try to play with the locals. From my experience, they're both friendly and helpful.

Favorite holes-
-Hole 2,5, and 6 (cliff hanger baskets with potential death rolls)
-Hole 8 (Flat hole, many possible throws here...threw my biggest roller ever)
-Hole 13 (you throw over a small hill, but there's a sudden drop in elevation beyond the hill making your throw seem bigger than it is...definitely an ego booster)
-Hole 14 (though I sucked at this hole, it's a cool uphill shot)
-Hole 18 (cool way to end the round, definitely a challenging par if you have a short drive

Overall I highly recommend this course and will definitely be back again.

Overrated

5+    6/22/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: The guys in the pro shop are really nice. When I was a beginner, they were very helpful about answering questions I had about form, discs, etc.

I like the challenge of #3 and #4, both of which are uphill shots with some very challenging tree placement. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the hole design.
Cons: This course is verrry crowded, especially on weekends. And the locals are not very good about letting you play through, which especially sucks because there are more big groups (6 or more) that play this course than any other in the area.

Another weird thing is the parking lot scene. There's all these cigarette-smoking bros that, I swear, must live in the parking lot. Between this and the unfriendliness of groups not letting singles or quick pairs play through, gives the course a bad vibe.

Also:
- For how often this course is played by regulars, you'd think they'd change the pin placements a lot more often.
- Can get very windy at times.
- Very dusty in the summer and muddy in the winter.
- The signage at the course is pretty worn out in places.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course before 10am, if possible. The traffic is much better.

1    6/21/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Only course around for miles
-Nice sense of history - second permanent course in the world!
-Mature trees and the occasional steep hill make for welcome obstacles to an otherwise flat, open course
Cons: -Pretty crowded. You'll have to wait more than once, and the 6-players-per-group rule isn't really enforced.
-The description for the course says it's hilly and challenging. It's neither. It may have been challenging in the early days of disc golf, but these days with increasingly creative course designs, it's pretty tame. Regarding the hills, I mean, there are a couple, but really they just blind the basket from the perspective of the tee.
-Course upkeep is kind of an issue. There were missing tee signs, beat up baskets, and erosion issues. Given how crowded this course can get, I'm really not that surprised.
-You have to pay $1 for your round. Yeah, it's only a buck, but it's the principle of the thing. One of the beautiful things about disc golf is that you get to throw in beautiful parks that are free. I've played on much, much better courses without having to pull out my wallet.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Southern California, this course is definitely worth a stop. It's not going to blow you away with how challenging it is, but it's one of the first courses, and you get to see how disc golf is done in SoCal.

Good but overcrowded

2-4    2/4/2010   2/11/2010
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: The course offers a great variety of holes and a decent challenge. Most holes have multiple tee pads and pin placements to keep it interesting for beginners and the advanced. Tee pads and baskets are in great shape. The course is in great condition and is totally worth the 1 or 2 bucks you have to pay.
Cons: Way overcrowded. This course is a victim of it's own success. I expect it to be crowded on a weekend but even on a weekday you have to wait 5-10 minutes on every hole. But on the plus side that is my only major complaint.
Other Thoughts: This is a good challenge and a must see if you are in the area. However you need to approach this course with the idea that you will be waiting around on every hole, so you need to make sure you plan accordingly.

Descent park in OC

1    11/10/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Good baskets.
-Marked tees, very friendly guys that run the shop and provide a map.
-Lots of wide open shots, some narrow ones too.
-Uses hills and trees the best it can, also has lots of nice open shots too.
-Everybody seemed to play quite quickly and were very friendly when it came to waiting to tee.
-3 practice baskets!
Cons: -The park holes got kind of repetitive, just going back and forward across a big field. The first few holes on both the front and back 9 were my favorite. The rest was kind of blah.
-Some areas have lots of tee pads and can be confusing and/or busy.
Other Thoughts: This is I believe the 2nd fixed hold DG course ever ever. Like Oak Grove, I feel the potential this place has can really make it a prime location.
While I have no real complaints, I can't say that it was awesome or anything I would go out of my way to play again. If I'm in the area, well for sure I would stop by.
$2 to play, and I am all for paying 2 bucks.
Park is basically DG exclusive however was really busy nonetheless. Maybe its because it was a weekend. Glad to know its here and would love to see a little more variety on the park shots.

5+    9/13/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: DaKineSurfer32
Pros: - 4! practice baskets
- small pro shop where you can get maps/scorecards, buy discs, snacks & drinks, and pay the $2 course fee
- dual tees
- good terrain
- many challenging OB paths & fences
- convenient to play just the front or just the back because 9 & 18 both finish by the practice baskets
- trash cans conveniently placed around the park/course
Cons: - course fee
- the fly18 pads are in a state of disrepair
- old signs are sometimes hard to read
- can be overcrowded, but not nearly as bad as some of the other area courses
- a little hard to follow if you don't have the map
- no bathrooms
Other Thoughts: make sure you stop at the pro shop and pick up a map/scorecard. the course isn't that difficult to follow, but the map helps because some tees and baskets can be a little bit close together (ie: B6 & B8, T6 & T9)

Huntington is a fun course and worth a day trip to play in conjunction with ElDo. Because of the course fee, I recommend playing it twice so that you get your moneys worth. It's a fun, middle-of-the-road difficulty course that would make a simple addition to a road trip.

Very nice course

2-4    1/7/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: This course is in a park with lots of small hills, and lots of large mature trees. The fairways that were grassy were well-mowed when I played, and the park seemed well-kept in general. There is a nice lake in the park, though it didn't come in to play on any holes.

The course has a number of challenging holes, and uses a great mixture of trees and elevation changes to keep these challenges interesting. Many holes punished poor tee shots, but still did not make it difficult to find these shots. There was not too much underbrush for most of the course, so beginners won't have to worry too much about losing discs.

The signs were mostly accurate, and when combined with the course map, there were no major navigation issues. The tees were a mixture of old concrete pads that were still in fine shape, and nice rubber pads that seemed fairly new. All the pads were level and provided good footing, and all had room behind for more of a run up.

There is a small pro shop where you pay for your round, and can buy discs or snacks. The people I've met at the shop have all been friendly and helpful, and the same goes for all the locals I've run into on the course.
Cons: Near the end of the course, there are a few holes that play right on top of one another, and this can make for some safety issues on a busy day. There are also a number of walking paths throughout the course, and though the other park users seemed very aware of disc golfers, it still meant a lot of waiting for people to move.

There are a number of places on the course where the grass has died, and it is very sandy. This means you have to watch the different surfaces throughout the course, as you will have very different skips on different holes.

I didn't mind the fee to play, as it was minimal, but if you have an issue with paying a couple bucks for a round, this course isn't for you. I would like to see the fees used for fixing up the course, and perhaps designing a layout with a little more variety. As others have said, there is a definite majority of holes that favor RHBH hyzer shots.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course, with a lot of friendly players, and a ton of history. Definitely worth the trip if you are anywhere in the LA area, and worth the small fee. I've really enjoyed all the rounds I've played here, and the pros certainly outweigh the cons for me.

Convienent and cool

2-4    4/19/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: StringPeachIncident
Pros: *Good direction and variation
*Able to get sum nice satisfying birdies
*Long Drive fairways
Cons: *Sandy haha
*a little bit open but otherwise good
Other Thoughts: I liked it, nothing too special, but good use of the land and nice shots uphill and along the lake to relax your brain. You may even spot a lucky white horse while teein off. I also saw a guy with his kid in a stroller while playin and that made me very happy for my future haha

My HomeTown Course.....

5+    3/19/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: I am partial to this course, due to the fact I am 3rd Generation H.B. native, have played it since I was 14 (23 years)....., learned/ loved the game on the course (thanks to Wayne Shurts son, Cliff for the introduction to the game and to Mr. Shurts for the affordable discs)...

Decent pro shop. Has refreshment and the rest of the gear

Some nice concrete teepads, others are rubber. Teesign a pretty cool and accurate. Porta potty I have never used. Real bathrooms to the right of tee #3/ hole #2.

*****Long and short tee positions. Each layout has its own uniqueness. The short is really tight on many holes, with different routes, and takes a lot of technique. The long is more wide open or with one obvious route. More of a grip and rip, but fun nontheless. I updated my review and my rating (+1 disc) due to the fact that the short tees added an extra challenge and a technical factor to the course, but also allows new players to be introduced to the games (although some of the shots are tough)*****

IF YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED THIS COURSE, MAKE SURE YOU DO AT LEAST ONCE!!! The historical factor of being the 2nd Target Course is enough....
Cons: On the long course, 1 Right Hyzer....errrrr, left Anhyzer, after another (I'm a Lefty). A complete waste of a lot of great park, the layout needs a lot of help. If you get bored, roll 14 of the holes, the course is perfect for rolling. I have played the layout every way it has ever been, and the current one is completely unimaginetive. The old summer course was even better

To pay for a course that is ill maintained, makes it even worse. Mud holes in front of the tee pads so you can't follow through correctly, crappy pot-a-potty....The old concrete pads are still there and not even used!!

Also, it gets pretty crowded there with golfers. So, that can be unnerving waiting around to tee up or shoot. Too many people playing just 2 persons per group. If people made 4somes, it would probably help the situation
Other Thoughts: I will give a compliment to the quality of people you meet there. Their weekly and monthly competitions are the best in SoCal. The handicap system they use elliminates "sandbaggers" and make the whole competion relaxing and fun.

The "High Flyers" Club rocks and has been around practically since I started playing. These guys represent the sport well!!! Again, another BIG THANK YOU to Mr. Shurts for helping the club get started for this course

Before the equestrian competitions changed the course (15+ yrs ago), the lay out was much better. The lake was in use, accuracy was more of a premium (although the short tees provide it). That, I believe, is where the deterioration of this course started.

Favorite Holes:

(current course): #4, Short but accuracy is a premium. Uphill through trees with 2 decently tight windows.

(original course): #17, I think it was about 270' tee off over the open meadow with trees on the right, the hole was pretty well guarded . The tee was just left of (existing)10 fairway and next to the putting area. The hole was next to (existing) 17 tee pad in the lil nook that is surrounded by asphalt paths. Took a decent throw with control. Seen a few awesome skip aces back in the day off the path in front of the hole and a roller ace has been accomplished as well