Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: danostrowski Hole #6 (Taken 3/2014)
3 / 319ft.   3 / 243ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Good Course!!

2-4    2/25/2014   2/27/2014
Review By: tommyUnitas
Pros: Long holes, birdie holes, uphill, downhill, side hill, trees, OB, wind, dirt, grass, nice locals, a few tall baskets. Every thing you'd want in a course.
Cons: My only con is the mat tee boxes, as I prefer concrete.
Other Thoughts: Played here the other day for the first time in over 25 years. Can't really remember the layout back then, so I can't compare. All in all the course was fun to play, and I'll be back soon.

My home course

5+    12/3/2013   12/13/2013
Review By: CK_32
Pros: - My home course
- Where I learned to DG
- Pro shop and regulars are awesome
- Super friendly awesome players
-Elevation changes is an understatement
- Perfect Mix of open shots and wooded tree hazards
- Decently maintained
-Good mix of long and short holes
-Heavily Right Hand Favored
-Plenty of tourney play
Cons: - Right hand favored for lefties
- Spring grass and weeds suck, easy to lose discs on hole 1 around this time
- Kinda packed, popular course
- Walkers (jiggers and park goers sometimes walk through course)
-just started using high baskets hate high baskets
Other Thoughts: This is and always has been my home course, this is where I learned and always play DG, I love this course for so many reasons tons of good play, awesome holes, open but closed holes long and short drives, I think this is almost as good as they get.

If your in the area you have to play this course. People I've met from all over always say this is one of the most fun courses they have played and wish they came down more often.

Good Will Huntington

1    10/8/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 10/11/2013
Pros: I liked the interesting layout that guides you through a variety of terrain from dirt, to the woods, to open fields, and shaded grassy areas. Super laid-back DGC culture is very evident and the friendly locals were more than helpful to keep me on track. Dual tee pads for both Beginners and Bombers. A couple of elevated baskets make for some interesting putts and approach shots. The rubber tee pads are grippy, but shortish. The signage posts are kinda cool. This place is pure disc golf nostalgia!
Cons: The dirt areas are, well, pretty dirty. Even though the course has different elevation levels, each hole tended to be pretty flat, except for #1, #3, #4, #13 which all happened to be my favorites.
Other Thoughts: Being the 2nd oldest permanent DG course in the world, Huntington Beach is akin to St. Andrews Old Course in the ball-golf world, in terms of historical value. Since I am relatively new to the sport, playing HB gave me an appreciation of the origins and evolution of this game. Love the on-site pro-shop and maps (definitely needed the 1st time). It's $2 bucks to play, so make sure you have some cash on you.
====================
Uniqueness: A (how often do you get to play the 2nd oldest of anything?)
Difficulty: B- (not too long, relatively flat with only a little elevation, decent amount of trees)
Fun factor: B+ (leisurely and enjoyable round, would be really fun with buddies)
Aesthetics: B (it's definitely old, and so-so maintained, but the trees and grassy areas are nice)
-------------------
Overall: B+

Time Warp

1    6/2/2013   6/29/2013
Review By: BigSky
Pros: - Nice, grippy rubber tee pads.
- A good mix of routes needed to get to the baskets, which keeps things interesting.
- On-site proshop, which has scorecards and a map.
- Pay-to-play.
- 3 practice baskets right next to the parking lot, and one of them is elevated to add variety.
- Well maintained grounds.
- Friendly locals.
- Portable toilet on site (big plus in my book)
- Long / Short teepads for every hole.
Cons: - Missing tee sign(s).
- Overlapping fairways.
- Crowded.
Other Thoughts: I had the privilege of playing Huntington with my brother one fine Sunday morning. As we drove into the parking lot, a palpable sense of history was immediate. From the worn shipping container that is the proshop, to the weathered practice baskets, and the sign that proudly proclaims that this is the second disc golf course ever. It's that intangible quality that prompted me to give this course an extra .5 rating. (Plus this is where the current world champ, Paul McBeth grew up. Adds another notch to the cool factor.)

Huntington is from a bygone era of lids, freestyle, short shorts, and striped socks. Yet the course is still a blast to play. She throws everything at you, from downhill and up, hyzer and anny, and wide open to a small gap (hole 4).

Sure, it was crowded. Afterall, we played on a Sunday. Yes, there were many shouts of "Fore!" But, we were none the worse for wear.

The course is not difficult, even for a noodle arm like myself. If you can throw 300' on target, and putt fairly well, you should have a birdie fest from the shorts, and will probably shoot under par from the longs.

One small gripe: With money coming in from pay-to-play, I'd have thought there would at least be good tee signs at every tee. I believe it is hole 15, and 17 that's mising them. Maybe they got stolen, or I didn't see them. Either way, for the traffic that comes through this course, the signage should be top-notch.

Overall, this is a good course, but not great. The intangibles help it move into the "must play" category if you're in the area.

Tips: It's gonna get crowded on the weekends. My bro and I went early, at around 8 AM. By the time we were finishing our round, the parking lot was full, and there were players on every hole.

Also, keep your eyes peeled, and ears tuned to what's going on around you. There's plastic flying everywhere.

good starter course

5+    7/31/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: willkelley
This review was updated on 5/3/2013
Pros: Nice baskets
Pro shop available
Variety of shots including some technical shots
Nice signs
Multiple pin placements
Cons: Too many people
Limited parking
Fairways cross paths
Other Thoughts: This is a solid 3. Happy to have this as my home course. The only major drawback is the people. This course is always busy. Don't expect to get a round in super quick unless you come early. By noon, the course is full and parking probably is too. UPDATE: I have increased my ranking because of course improvements. It's definitely on its way with new flags on the baskets and different skill shots added. Keep the improvements coming! I would love to see this course be a 4 disc course!

I don't mind paying, but I wish they had a better discount for season passes. For $20 you get a monthly pass that expires after 30 days. So you have to go every weekend in a month plus four weekdays on top of that in order to make it worth it.

I'll Try

5+    7/22/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: thugjitsu
Pros: Great layout
Nice area that doesnt get overly hot
Nice proshop
Course is well maintained
Great use of the limited area
Cons: Locals are not very friendly and do not let you play through 80% of the time
I personally dislike the rubber teepads but I am getting use to them
Slippery when wet as the gravel/mud stuff is nasty
Tough to navigate for first timers
Other Thoughts: I hated Hunington when i first played it but have grown to like it more and more. However, the locals are not the friendliest and act like the own the whole place, which, leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. Don't be discouraged they're not all like that, the beach humor is a bit different that other areas. Your missing out if you dont stop by and play because despite there not being any real long holes it is quite challenging.

Worth it

1    6/21/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: waywu2001
Pros: I commend the park for good use of its hills and trees. There were definitely a few holes that demanded unique flight paths. I was also concerned about wind being so close to the beach but it was not overwhelming.
Cons: Boy, was it crowded. I guess the fee doesn't deter many people. Some of the groups were annoyingly large but they were all behind us. I'll hope that they had the ediquette to let others pass. Also, with such a tight course, it had its moments when it was difficult to determine the correct basket. This is probably only a concern for visitors though.
Other Thoughts: I'm very excited to play this course again in the future.

a must play!

2-4    10/9/2011   10/18/2011
Review By: dirtyc
Pros: very challenging shots. anything from dogleg lefts/rights to baskets on a hill. nice blind shots and some far bombing shots. evey time i have been there its always maintained well.
Cons: kind of a over lapping coarse and its very easy to confuse what basket your going to be throwing to. deffently get a map the first time you play. otherwise your going to be very lost

Classic!

1    7/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: Nice varied 18 holes. Clean park. Pro shop in site. DG portion of the park has little or no overlap (only holes 2, 4) with rest of park and other park users. Maps and score cards avail FREE at pro shop. Pro shop guy was nice and helpful. Chilled Nutty bars are a HUGE +
Cons: Signage is missing on many holes. Layout is packed pretty tight for a full 18 on a small space. Some hole overlap and some transition confusion on a few holes if you do not have the map. A few baskets are blind, again w/o a map, might be confusing.
Other Thoughts: Had to play here. Saw that it is over 30 years old and 2nd course on planet. A must-visit. A great look at how the game was prior to the wide rim, big arm game of today. Not a lot of hole variety. Virtually no annie shots to be found here... likely a throwback to the old days before disc stability control was what it is today. Front 9 play on and around the ridge line and use the elevation well. Back 9 use the upper plateau area and trees for a flatter course. 1 plays blind down the ridge. 2 plays to a basket on a slope with big penalty for a missed putt. 3 was one of my faves with the basket tucked back into the trees the day I was here. I saw alt basket spot and the current set up is preferred. Sloped fairway is a nice feature, too. 4 is a short up and over. 5 and 6 are simple slight hyzers at mid distance. 7 is a straight shot with good use of trees and BIG penalty for a wayward upshot as the basket area to the left falls off the steep ridge. been there, Done that. 8 is really the beginning of the "back 9" as it plays across the flat and uses some trees. Basket can be confusing on 9 as the practice baskets are all in the basket area. 10 plays a bit close to the road. An overshoot is to be in the street. 11 hugs the fence line. 11 and 12 use the trees well. 13 plays to the back corner and the trees and the slope away from the tee are both done well. Tees for 14 and 5 are all together. 14, 15, 16, 17 play pretty much straight forward. The BIG tree on 16 is just beautiful to play around. 18 is nicely tucked amongst the trees. Mandos are well marked and make sense where they are used. Overall this course gets a 2.5 and I am adding a full addtl point for its classic status. Not a big arm place, but a good course to understand the game and enjoy playing it. Locals were all quite nice as I was playing alone and played through a few parties. Course is free of trash. Kudos to the locals on this as well. If I had to pick a signature hole here it would be 3 or 13.

This Is Where I Started

5+    3/19/2011   3/30/2011
Review By: stunts
Pros: A nice course in a nice place. There are few challenging holes but no overly so - somewhat beginner friendly. Hole number 3 is the toughest hole for me. A small pro shop in the parking lot.
Cons: After a good rain, some holes will be in the middle of a pond and many holes will be very muddy. Some signs missing - grab a map from the pro shop. It does get crowded - get there early.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and the course that got me interested in disc golf. I drove by it for years, always wanting to give it a try. Now I'm hooked.

< Prev 1 2 3