Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach Central Park Share
Uploaded By: erickmj Hole #11 (Taken 9/2004)
3 / 295ft.   3 / 220ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Descent park in OC

1    11/10/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Good baskets.
-Marked tees, very friendly guys that run the shop and provide a map.
-Lots of wide open shots, some narrow ones too.
-Uses hills and trees the best it can, also has lots of nice open shots too.
-Everybody seemed to play quite quickly and were very friendly when it came to waiting to tee.
-3 practice baskets!
Cons: -The park holes got kind of repetitive, just going back and forward across a big field. The first few holes on both the front and back 9 were my favorite. The rest was kind of blah.
-Some areas have lots of tee pads and can be confusing and/or busy.
Other Thoughts: This is I believe the 2nd fixed hold DG course ever ever. Like Oak Grove, I feel the potential this place has can really make it a prime location.
While I have no real complaints, I can't say that it was awesome or anything I would go out of my way to play again. If I'm in the area, well for sure I would stop by.
$2 to play, and I am all for paying 2 bucks.
Park is basically DG exclusive however was really busy nonetheless. Maybe its because it was a weekend. Glad to know its here and would love to see a little more variety on the park shots.

HB

2-4    11/30/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: ibgollie
Pros: -Newly installed tee pads are sweet
-Multiple tees and pins on every hole
-Some interesting shots that you don't see in a lot of places
-Pro shop
-4 practice baskets
-Requires you to throw a wide variety of shots, which is good. There are mid-rangers, average drivers and bombers. Lefties, righties, ups and...well one down. Good course to build an all around game which explains why they a lot of good players that come from there.
-Has some death putts, and in the wind they definately make you think.
Cons: -Usually lots of ppl
-Poor layout, but I think it's the best they could do with the area. They choose the shots over the flow, but with the limited space they have I think it's probably better that way.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, I just don't like how many ppl play it. Both times I've gone there I've finished 18, thought, "I want to play again" and then looked over the course and seen a lot of ppl and haven't wanted to wait on the tees just to play it again. I also feel like this course gets hated on more than it deserves. Yes the layout kind of sucks, yes there's usually a lot of ppl, but it is a good course to work on your game and offers something different from ELDO and LaMa. If it wasn't so busy I'd play it a lot more.

Great Course

1    11/23/2009   11/26/2009
Review By: Smelvis
This review was updated on 1/2/2010
Pros:
* Easy Access, easy to find, good parking.
* Great Pro Shop, most courses have none. They even had little pencils for marking the scorecard.
* White board showing Ace records, apparently Hole 1 has the best chance for an ace. I came close.
* Long and short tees with multiple hole locations to keep course from getting boring.
* Excellent course map.
* Decent tee maps on each hole.
* Most holes had good obstacles. Some holes had elevation changes.
* Regular tourneys posted.
* Environment clean, nice location, easy parking, porta pottie next to pro shop had hand sanitizer (nice).
* Actually saw two pretty ladies playing (quite an oddity).
* Good variation for me, I threw both back hand and fore hand. The course is mostly right back hand.
Cons:
* Hole 1 short tee not marked. No rubber tee pad.
* At least 3 holes had missing rubber tee pads.
* Rubber tee pads slippery when shoes muddy. I like concrete.
* Sometimes hard to figure out which tee went to what hole.
* No holes go near the lake. That would be nice if a hole could be near the lake to swollow up some discs.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time on the course. I played on a Monday morning. I had a great time. I wish this were my home course. There were some bummy lookin dudes, who seemed well behaved. I would play again if I am near.

5+    9/13/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: DaKineSurfer32
Pros: - 4! practice baskets
- small pro shop where you can get maps/scorecards, buy discs, snacks & drinks, and pay the $2 course fee
- dual tees
- good terrain
- many challenging OB paths & fences
- convenient to play just the front or just the back because 9 & 18 both finish by the practice baskets
- trash cans conveniently placed around the park/course
Cons: - course fee
- the fly18 pads are in a state of disrepair
- old signs are sometimes hard to read
- can be overcrowded, but not nearly as bad as some of the other area courses
- a little hard to follow if you don't have the map
- no bathrooms
Other Thoughts: make sure you stop at the pro shop and pick up a map/scorecard. the course isn't that difficult to follow, but the map helps because some tees and baskets can be a little bit close together (ie: B6 & B8, T6 & T9)

Huntington is a fun course and worth a day trip to play in conjunction with ElDo. Because of the course fee, I recommend playing it twice so that you get your moneys worth. It's a fun, middle-of-the-road difficulty course that would make a simple addition to a road trip.

Huntington Beach: Course for the big dogs

5+    9/12/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: Apothecary
This review was updated on 1/1/2010
Pros: *Friendly locals with great taste in music and beverages

*Hilly terrain, offering a third dimension that many of the other local courses lack.

*Mix of open and technical shots...something for everyone

*Mostly mid to long range drives, very RHBH friendly

*Well-shaded with glorious ocean trade winds
Cons: *Half the course smells like horse poo on bad days

*Mosquitos

*Rubber t-pads get neglected in the sandy terrain...make sure to borrow a broom from the helpful disc golf shack!

*Since the addition of longer t-pads, the back 9 gets a significant amount of cross shots. This can get to be a real prob when all the weekender yahoos over there

*Course is generally a bit muddy/wet in the mornings, especially in the winter months

*Pay to play. Yes, I'm cheap. Wanna fight about it? :P
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I love it dearly. Since they added the pro tees, it has become one of the more challenging socal courses. A must-play for any golfer touring the area...just shoot for mid-day.

**UPDATE**
Huntington is getting insanely crowded. -.5 discs.

Very nice course

2-4    1/7/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: This course is in a park with lots of small hills, and lots of large mature trees. The fairways that were grassy were well-mowed when I played, and the park seemed well-kept in general. There is a nice lake in the park, though it didn't come in to play on any holes.

The course has a number of challenging holes, and uses a great mixture of trees and elevation changes to keep these challenges interesting. Many holes punished poor tee shots, but still did not make it difficult to find these shots. There was not too much underbrush for most of the course, so beginners won't have to worry too much about losing discs.

The signs were mostly accurate, and when combined with the course map, there were no major navigation issues. The tees were a mixture of old concrete pads that were still in fine shape, and nice rubber pads that seemed fairly new. All the pads were level and provided good footing, and all had room behind for more of a run up.

There is a small pro shop where you pay for your round, and can buy discs or snacks. The people I've met at the shop have all been friendly and helpful, and the same goes for all the locals I've run into on the course.
Cons: Near the end of the course, there are a few holes that play right on top of one another, and this can make for some safety issues on a busy day. There are also a number of walking paths throughout the course, and though the other park users seemed very aware of disc golfers, it still meant a lot of waiting for people to move.

There are a number of places on the course where the grass has died, and it is very sandy. This means you have to watch the different surfaces throughout the course, as you will have very different skips on different holes.

I didn't mind the fee to play, as it was minimal, but if you have an issue with paying a couple bucks for a round, this course isn't for you. I would like to see the fees used for fixing up the course, and perhaps designing a layout with a little more variety. As others have said, there is a definite majority of holes that favor RHBH hyzer shots.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course, with a lot of friendly players, and a ton of history. Definitely worth the trip if you are anywhere in the LA area, and worth the small fee. I've really enjoyed all the rounds I've played here, and the pros certainly outweigh the cons for me.

Challenging!

2-4    5/24/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: bazillion
This review was updated on 2/2/2011
Pros: If you've got a big arm, this course will make you wish you could hit windows. If you can hit windows, it'll make you wish you had more D. If it's not elevation changes that mess with your head, it's the wind. Or the OB lines. Or the dang trees!

All in all, this is an excellent course, imo much underrated when it comes to people recommending So Cal courses to visitors. This park of the park itself is well-known as a disc golf course so others who come around (dog-walkers, etc.) know to watch out for flying plastic. Throw in the pro shop and gobs of friendly locals and HB turns into an enjoyable experience all around, even if it does eat your lunch like it did mine.
Cons: Crowded on weekends, some fairways tightly adjacent to others (lots of people yelling "fore!" with good reason).
Other Thoughts: Some of the greens are nothing but hardpan, like DeLa Veaga's, and wickedly fast. Others are groomed grass all the way to the pin - all this means is that you've got to treat each hole individually: there's nothing "ordinary" or "usual" about this course.

Knocked off half a disc for some redundancy on the back 9.

Surprised

2-4    5/13/2009   5/14/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This was a good challenge of a course that really rewarded good throws and punished bad ones. Each hole had its own unique challenge. Most of the tee pads were a very nice rubber that were by far the best rubber tee pads that I have seen so far. They used the land that they were on very well for some good elevation change and good used of bushes and trees to create the challenge. There was also a good deal of length with a good number of 400+ ft holes. There is a pro shop that sells snaks and discs and is also where you pay for your daily pass. I also thought that they had a really nice practice putting area with one basket that had a few marked out distances as part of a practice system. There was not much foot traffic and I did not run into many other players though I was playing at 8am on a weekday. I was impressed with the foot traffic that I did run into as they seemed to know what was going on and yeilded to play on all occasions. The holes that have new signs have amazing signs. There seems to be a good local vibe here and a lot of locals that love their course.
Cons: You have to pay to play this course which is actually a big negative to me. The up side is that your pass turns into a raffle ticket for a disc. The local bathroom was a portable potty. The layout is not the most logical and was really confusing for playing the first round here on my own. On several holes I had to walk the hole before playing it. The holes that did not have a new sign had really bad make shift signs. My discs ended up being just covered in a thin layer of dirt at the end of the day, which means I will have to wash them or throw them on wet grass somewhere else. There are just a few holes that feel right on top of each other.
Other Thoughts: I was pleasently surprised at how much I enjoyed playing this course. There really is a lot of challenge. I was not overly impressed with the maintenance on the course considering that I paid to play. I played my third and final round there today with a guy named John who has been playing there for 30 years, so he said. He mentioned the old layout and how it used the lake and had holes that were less on top of eachother. I really enjoyed the layout just how it was though. I would guess that crowds can get bad here and I began to see signs of it by the time that I left. I would say that this course is well worth playing and I plan to come back if the opportunity presents itself.

Convienent and cool

2-4    4/19/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: StringPeachIncident
Pros: *Good direction and variation
*Able to get sum nice satisfying birdies
*Long Drive fairways
Cons: *Sandy haha
*a little bit open but otherwise good
Other Thoughts: I liked it, nothing too special, but good use of the land and nice shots uphill and along the lake to relax your brain. You may even spot a lucky white horse while teein off. I also saw a guy with his kid in a stroller while playin and that made me very happy for my future haha

My HomeTown Course.....

5+    3/19/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: I am partial to this course, due to the fact I am 3rd Generation H.B. native, have played it since I was 14 (23 years)....., learned/ loved the game on the course (thanks to Wayne Shurts son, Cliff for the introduction to the game and to Mr. Shurts for the affordable discs)...

Decent pro shop. Has refreshment and the rest of the gear

Some nice concrete teepads, others are rubber. Teesign a pretty cool and accurate. Porta potty I have never used. Real bathrooms to the right of tee #3/ hole #2.

*****Long and short tee positions. Each layout has its own uniqueness. The short is really tight on many holes, with different routes, and takes a lot of technique. The long is more wide open or with one obvious route. More of a grip and rip, but fun nontheless. I updated my review and my rating (+1 disc) due to the fact that the short tees added an extra challenge and a technical factor to the course, but also allows new players to be introduced to the games (although some of the shots are tough)*****

IF YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED THIS COURSE, MAKE SURE YOU DO AT LEAST ONCE!!! The historical factor of being the 2nd Target Course is enough....
Cons: On the long course, 1 Right Hyzer....errrrr, left Anhyzer, after another (I'm a Lefty). A complete waste of a lot of great park, the layout needs a lot of help. If you get bored, roll 14 of the holes, the course is perfect for rolling. I have played the layout every way it has ever been, and the current one is completely unimaginetive. The old summer course was even better

To pay for a course that is ill maintained, makes it even worse. Mud holes in front of the tee pads so you can't follow through correctly, crappy pot-a-potty....The old concrete pads are still there and not even used!!

Also, it gets pretty crowded there with golfers. So, that can be unnerving waiting around to tee up or shoot. Too many people playing just 2 persons per group. If people made 4somes, it would probably help the situation
Other Thoughts: I will give a compliment to the quality of people you meet there. Their weekly and monthly competitions are the best in SoCal. The handicap system they use elliminates "sandbaggers" and make the whole competion relaxing and fun.

The "High Flyers" Club rocks and has been around practically since I started playing. These guys represent the sport well!!! Again, another BIG THANK YOU to Mr. Shurts for helping the club get started for this course

Before the equestrian competitions changed the course (15+ yrs ago), the lay out was much better. The lake was in use, accuracy was more of a premium (although the short tees provide it). That, I believe, is where the deterioration of this course started.

Favorite Holes:

(current course): #4, Short but accuracy is a premium. Uphill through trees with 2 decently tight windows.

(original course): #17, I think it was about 270' tee off over the open meadow with trees on the right, the hole was pretty well guarded . The tee was just left of (existing)10 fairway and next to the putting area. The hole was next to (existing) 17 tee pad in the lil nook that is surrounded by asphalt paths. Took a decent throw with control. Seen a few awesome skip aces back in the day off the path in front of the hole and a roller ace has been accomplished as well